Thor: Ragnarok Box Office Prediction - Part 1

I wouldn't go that far. I would say between 800 to 900M would be the sweet spot for a Thor 4. It would also depend on the talent attached, the story, characters, villains, overall look and critical reception to produce an even better return. There's certainly room for improvement in terms of how and where the story is told infusing it with a better grip on the emotional side of things... It's actually beneficial having a range of things in which they could build upon and improve.

Personally i feel that a King Thor movie would be a strong candidate for the ultimate Thor movie. Having and old, grizzled and battered Thor return to battle for one last time against Silver Surfer and or Galactus would be a dream. Now that would be the a great path to take the character into... even though it could bring some closure to his overall story. I guess Marvel could spin it in several ways if they wanted to.

If they wanted to go out with a bang then that would be the way to do it. Or they can patch up another story for Thor 4 and make Thor 5 as a "swan song" for and older Chris Hemsworth wich would fit perfectly with the old King Thor look and wrap with a nice bow a Taika trilogy. :woot:

Doubt they'd do a thor film set in the future yet.
Tbh see no reason to end thor for a while. Maybe have a good few years between films though.

Keep making Thor films till Hemsworth is 55 and then do a bunch of King Thor films. :woot:

Round number lovers, if your life now has that empty feeling, since you can no longer root for T:R to reach $850M worldwide, have hope! You can still cheer it on to make $315M domestic, which I think is a real possibility. Doctor Strange did $1.74M from this point on, and if T:R continues to outpace it as it has recently, it could get there. T:R did over 67% better than DS this weekend, for example.

If it can make 2.5m US domestic and 1m more OS, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility, it would end up just within 10m of GotG2 which is an amazing result considering GotG made an extra 24m in its Opening Weekend and cost 20m more to make.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

$850Million!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Damn...What was I thinking?..I need to Fire my Agent...
I just hope Marvel returns my calls...

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Damn...What was I thinking?..I need to Fire my Agent...
I just hope Marvel returns my calls...

All joking aside, I don't think Portman is that desperate for money. She's one of the Top 15 highest-earning actresses in Hollywood...

Still funny though!:yay:

:woot: Agree...
I wish she had remained in the Thor franchise..but hey I am probably in the minority on this...

I actually think Ragnarok was better in large part because she was not in it. Jane Foster was not the best MCU character, lol

I actually think Ragnarok was better in large part because she was not in it. Jane Foster was not the best MCU character, lol

I like Portman but they didn't give her a very interesting character to work with and her little group was hard to watch for too long.

I like Portman but they didn't give her a very interesting character to work with and her little group was hard to watch for too long.

Oh, I don't hate Portman at all. I like her just fine. But, like you said, Jane just saw not all that interesting. Selvig was the stand-out of the group, but they made him a bit too whacky in TDW.

I consider Portman to be one of the most overrated actors in Hollywood right now.

Oh, I don't hate Portman at all. I like her just fine. But, like you said, Jane just saw not all that interesting. Selvig was the stand-out of the group, but they made him a bit too whacky in TDW.

I don't even care that much for him either. That group of misfits needs to go IMO and I didn't hear many people missing them in any of the Ragnarok discussions. ;)

I don't mind cameos, just not full blown roles. I prefer to see Thor interacting with characters from across the cosmos.

It's fine if they wanted to move on from Jane but it deserved better closure. Loved Ragnarok but personally I'm not happy with how that was handled.

Monday Totals: $44,384
Looks like the movie has finally dropped below 6 figures per day..
Its tank is about dry...
Its had a phenomenal run....:chd::pcg::applaud

Last edited:
Yeah, the final target was achieved. :cool: Just pocket change left now.

Portman is a good actress, she just never was particularly invested in the Thor movies, and it *really* shows in Thor 2. Best that they not try to force her back, nothing good would come of it.

Portman is a good actress, she just never was particularly invested in the Thor movies, and it *really* shows in Thor 2. Best that they not try to force her back, nothing good would come of it.

It's pretty clear that she was only there for a big fat pay-day. Marvel don't need such low-lifes clogging up their movies IMO.

Besides, she's made pretty clear her disdain for Disney, MS and CBMs in general. She thinks of herself as an artiste with a capital "E".

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that she was only there for a big fat pay-day. Marvel don't need such low-lifes clogging up their movies IMO.

Besides, she's made pretty clear her disdain for Disney, MS and CBMs in general. She thinks of herself as an artiste with a capital "E".

Low-life, what? For not putting her heart and soul in some dumb comic book movie?

Natalie Portman has delivered in performances and starred in films that the MCU isn't fit to lick the boots of.

Natalie Portman in the first Thor movie was great for me. The scene where she phones Selvig and says "That thing you told me not to do...I just did it" was extremely memorable, because there's personality and risk to the way she delivers the lines. Now I'm honestly very ignorant of good and bad acting, so I don't notice any difference in TDW for her performance, but I really like that scene from Thor. It's got character, and that's a rare thing for modern movies.

My issues with Jane in TDW are numerous: her romance subplot was annoying, the supporting characters she brought with her added nothing and only took away from better things, she only came across as histrionic and unlikable when she hit her supposed boyfriend (it's not a big deal to me to normalize DV in that way for laughs, but it turned her character into an emotional monster), her role in the final battle was pivotal and that would have been fine...except it actually overshadowed Thor's role...which might have still been fine except Thor had spent the entire film getting relegated to a background character and only looking lame in his own movie. Taika was right that a movie with Thor in the title succeeds or fails by how well they are presented as the main character.

There's a lot of stuff centered around Jane in TDW that brings the movie down, but I don't see most of it as being the actor's fault. There is a fair bit around the director Patty Jenkins getting fired over creative differences and the gender politics behind the scenes, which definitely hurt the making of the movie. Natalie is definitely accountable for some of that, since she raised a huge stink about Patty being let go. Ultimately I think it's for the better that Jane (and Natalie) were gone from Ragnarok, but I think the original movie showed how Jane could have worked, with just a few edits to her character. Show her taking over from Selvig, and the student surpassing the teacher, etc, and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"