Thor Ragnarok Spoilers - Part 2

Well I guess this and the thoughtful piece in village voice show that if someone doesn’t see heart and emotion in a movie with humor, it doesn’t mean heart and emotion aren’t there. We just all see things somewhat differently and have various tastes which is a wonderful thing.

I like the comparison he made with Valkyrie and Han Solo, it's true that you don't see the hard drinking trope applied to women as often.

That was a great read.

Personally i noticed that there was indeed layers compiled of different themes running under the surface of the movie. Some where more noticeable than others but it never felt like Taika was forcing it on the audience. It was just there to be noticed if you really thought about it in a more deeper manner. It was woven in the story.

The hole thing about how Asgard was built, it's past, Hela's hint of where "the gold" came from and the striking parallels with the real world history was something i picked up straight away. I really got the feeling that there was a dark past there, a hidden past, something terrible that was disguised as a very beautiful and almost perfect facade. And it made even more sense to tear it down in the end.

I like the comparison he made with Valkyrie and Han Solo, it's true that you don't see the hard drinking trope applied to women as often.

That was a great read.
And that Valkyrie was a troubled character. She was cool, badass and charismatic. But under that you had that layer of alcoholism and a troubled character who had gone through some heavy stuff and was keeping those things at bay with her dependence on the alcohol and that she didn't want to face what was tormenting her.

Last edited:
And now we know where the fireworks from Valkyrie's triumphant return came from. It was all from the spaceship where The Grandmaster had his parties. Made for a cool visual and a badass entrance.

tumblr_otit8q9e1M1u4kolmo2_r1_540.gif

It's about time they brought back the AWESOME theme from the 1st Thor movie for the end of this one when Thor takes the throne.

The ending with Patrick Doyle's original score was beautiful. When they all stand together and Loki enters the frame you can see how Hulk clenches his fist. I guess he was thinking about smashing that puny god one more time :)

Just got back from seeing this move. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apparently Hela needed the Bifost to travel across the Multiverse. But then how was she able to get to Midgard and Norway? :D

Presumably because she can teleport (comics Hela certainly can) which was represented by her appearing out of thin air in that smoky green magic stuff at the beginning. She only used the Bifrost then because she was chasing Thor and Loki to get rid of them. Just because she can teleport herself, it doesn't mean she can also teleport her whole army, not to mention a giant wolf. Hence her need for the Bifrost.

And in "Thor" both Odin and Loki use Gungnir (Odin's spear) to open the Bifrost. Odin does that while banishing Thor to earth and Loki uses it to destroy Jotunheim. Hela was wielding Gungnir in Ragnarok and didn't use it. One may say that she didn't know that she would have been able to open the Bifrost with it but I can't imagine that she wouldn't be aware of that fact.

I imagine Hela knew that Gungnir could open the Bifrost, but as said on the previous page, that wasn't really the point. She wanted the Bifrost sword back because she couldn't just have a rebel force running around with it behind her back. She was putting her house in order before she continued with her plans. She was the commander of the legions of Asgard, I'm sure she was one hell of a military strategist and therefore knew what she was doing.

It's also possible that, following the events at the end of the first movie, Gungnir couldn't be used to open the Bifrost any longer. They had to rebuild the whole observatory afterall, including the mechanism that activates the bridge.

Can someone find the tv spot where it shows Thor lighntning punching Hulk causing a shockwave?

I saw this film yesterday and for the most part, I liked it. I thought that the action,special FX,physical humor,SOME of the funny lines,and music/score were all pretty damn good. However, my problem with this film was that they over did it with the jokes and that a lot of the jokes and lines from these characters were OOC and didn't fit (Thor and Loki don't drop 4 letter cuss words and use common everyday phrases and slang). Also, several of the characters were just written OOC. I hated that the Grandmaster wasn't blue and didn't have pointed ears and was written as a total goofball. I hated that they killed off the Warriors Three. I hated the death of Odin and the race bending of Valkyrie. I also could have done without seeing the Hulk's naked butt. Other then those complaints, I liked the movie.

So now that we have seen TR what do you guys think the visions from AoU meant. My interpretation is that Heimdall and the asgardians will indeed die. Heimdal says to Thor "I see you leading us to Hel" "We are all dead, can you not see". By the end of TR, Thor does indeed lead his people but they are confronted by Thanos ship so that pretty much implies that somenthing bad is going to happen.

Take that and add the IW footage where Thor is adrift in space and while unconscious hits the Guardians spaceship, we also see Loki giving the Space Stone to someone... i'm guessing Thanos has been "scanning for the infinity stones" and since Loki took it from the vault that will lead to Thanos coming to get it from them leading to death and destruction.

This all fits in nicely with Thor being king and leading his people while being able to manifest lighting through his body like it shows in the visions and indeed happens in TR.

[YT]-iJrijyx5Oc[/YT][YT]Zy4Kktce_bg[/YT]

I think how well Thor 3 answered set ups from earlier Thor and Avengers movie is an extremely under rated aspect of the movie. Waititi and Feige have pulled off an absolute stunner here. Something that has tied up loose ends from past movies and yet felt a completely separate stand alone movie in tone and vibe.

So now that we have seen TR what do you guys think the visions from AoU meant. My interpretation is that Heimdall and the asgardians will indeed die. Heimdal says to Thor "I see you leading us to Hel" "We are all dead, can you not see". By the end of TR, Thor does indeed lead his people but they are confronted by Thanos ship so that pretty much implies that somenthing bad is going to happen.

Take that and add the IW footage where Thor is adrift in space and while unconscious hits the Guardians spaceship, we also see Loki giving the Space Stone to someone... i'm guessing Thanos has been "scanning for the infinity stones" and since Loki took it from the vault that will lead to Thanos coming to get it from them leading to death and destruction.

This all fits in nicely with Thor being king and leading his people while being able to manifest lighting through his body like it shows in the visions and indeed happens in TR.

[YT]-iJrijyx5Oc[/YT][YT]Zy4Kktce_bg[/YT]

Yes that is some pretty amazing connectivity there I agree. Marvel pulls this feat off better than anyone in my opinion. But gosh I sure hope Thanos doesn't kill off all of the Asgardians. That would make this film utterly pointless.

In this movie Thor had the most f'd up couple of days ever.

- Starts in chains and in a cage on a inhospitable Muspelheim.
- Needs to fight Surtur, his giant fire dragon and hundreds of fire demons in order to escape.
- Finds out Loki has taken the throne while putting a spell on Odin and having him on Earth.
- His father dies when he meets him, Thor discovers he has a long lost powerful sister that wants revenge.
- Her sister easily destroys his trusty weapon and throws him into a foreign planet.
- He needs to fight aliens on arrival, gets captured and gets tasered into submission.
- They put him into a cell... Cut his hair and make him fight in a gladiatorial arena.
- He has to fight Hulk. Gets tasered by The Grandmaster and stomped by Hulk in the process.
- His friends all die while his sister takes his home planet.
- He comes back home to confront Hela, she cut's one of his eyes out...
- Thor realizes the only way to stop his sister is to unleash a beast which will destroy his home and in turn take out his sister source of power.
- His sister is defeated but his home is completely obliterated, leaving him and his people homeless...
- In the end is confronted with a giant spaceship belonging to Thanos who is coming for an Infinity Stone his brother decided to steal.

tumblr_myh3elbWu41rvn11po1_r1_250.gif

Yes that is some pretty amazing connectivity there I agree. Marvel pulls this feat off better than anyone in my opinion. But gosh I sure hope Thanos doesn't kill off all of the Asgardians. That would make this film utterly pointless.

Civil War,Ragnarok,Black Panther and Infinity War will definately give all the seeds planted in AoU a great pay-off and I am really glad as I loved that movie.

This might be a little late. But according to the special effects studios. When Surtur revived he instantly grew to be 800 meters tall and was 4,000 meters tall when he destroyed Asgard.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/building-character-with-thor-part2/

During the sequence Mega Surtur grew. He ranged from roughly 800m when he first appeared to about 4,000m when he finally destroyed Asgard. In order to compensate for this change in size and keep a consistent fire look, the character was scaled down to a specific size before running the simulation. Then the fire was scaled back up accordingly to whatever size he happened to be in that particular shot. For example when he was the initial 800m tall, the average voxel size was 16 cm . When he was the final 4,000m tall, the average voxel size was 80 cm.

This actually put into perspective Hela's powers, since she was basically firing skyscraper-sized spikes at him. As well as how powerful Odin was back in his prime.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the sizes. Absolutely huge!

Welcome to the Hype!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"