Thor Ragnarok Spoilers - Part 2

Hogun was written out very early in the second movie, while the other two got a little more to do. Seems like they kind of switched it around this time.
Ha, I actually can't remember. :woot:

Tried rewatching TDW a while back (but failed). That's something I guess although I'd rather they were just given their due (which doesn't need to be a huge amount) in each film they appear in. The way those 2 went out they may as well have been unnamed soldiers.

I just realized how incredible the directors commentary for this'll be, assuming Taika did one. Oh,man :hehe:

That's gonna be reason enough to buy it on Blu-ray

The way those 2 went out they may as well have been unnamed soldiers.

Yep. That was the biggest surprise in the whole movie for me. Once they were killed off so quickly I knew Hogun was dead meat...if they bothered to use the character at all.

Yep. That was the biggest surprise in the whole movie for me. Once they were killed off so quickly I knew Hogun was dead meat...if they bothered to use the character at all.

It seems strange that a guy like Taika who is getting so much right throughout the film wouldn't think of this as a bit strange when he's reviewing his work. It's not like it would take much to correct. Having them charge at Hela and have her easily block say 3 strikes before one shotting them would have been enough for me. Minimal extra screentime and cost. You still show Hela's power/skill and that she is way above them, while giving them a brave ending.

When they were with Dr. Strange, I would have like to have seen Loki start to use some magic rather than pulling his knives to motivate Strange sending them away in a hurry...

How much did Thor lost in TR:

- Lost Odin. His father died.
- Lost mjolnir. His trademark weapon was destroyed.
- Lost his friends. The Warriors Three where killed.
- Lost an eye. His sister took it out.
- Lost his home. Asgard was obliterated.

Talk about being put through the wringer.

Just got back from seeing it again a little while ago and I liked it a little bit more this time. I didn't think the change to Thor was as jarring, but shortly after his talk with Hulk, he does change a little bit.

One thing I know for sure is after seeing Thor take on Hela's army is I can't wait to see what the Russo's do with him.

Also, it was still a decent crowd for a 4pm showing on a Tuesday. Maybe about 20 people or so in there so that's a good sign

I think I’m going to one final showing midweek and that’ll likely be my last.

I wonder if the post credits scene was a rip from IW. They seem to be going that route more often recently.

The midcredit scene, with the ship showing up,. if that really is Thanos' ship,. its a wasted opportunity then for them not showing thanos

I've been thinking a lot whether I wanna put my opinion here...
I saw many positive reviews toward this film, but I just dont have the same vibe with them.

I have fun, smiled and laughed thru most of this movie, tho I left theater without lasting impression.

After some time thinking, I come into conclusion:
This movie was inconsistent.
It was comedic, parody, colorful and fun, but they hid big problem to the character of Thor.
This was not a step forward, this was a step backward to the character.

Thor was a superhero, he was God of Thunder. He was very powerful.
He tried to stop ragnarok,
Tho he lost mjolnir, he still tried to defeat Hela and defend asgard,
He then able to inspire and gather powerful team to face stronger opponent.
Those were traits of superhero.
Those were great.

But...at the end,
He was standing beside Hulk-strongest creature in universe, Loki-god of trickster and Valkrye-strong fighter, feeling powerless against Hela and decided to destroy asgard.
He initiated ragnarok so all asgard destroyed along with Hela.

I dont understand why the director/writer decided to make Thor-Hulk-Loki-Valkrye tag team to flee from enemy and let their planet be destroyed.

Yes asgard was just a place, but that place was defended by hundreds of asgardian who died protecting it. A place where he initially successfully stop ragnarok, a place where all his friends (who was not god of some sort) bravely stood their ground and sacrifice their life for.

Would a superhero at least respect the dead by defending asgard (not to mention he has hulk and loki alongside him also)?

Why the director chose this path?
Why not from beginning somehow someone (maybe Odin) spoke wisdom to all asgardian warriors that they should just flee when faced with very strong godly opponenet? Why we tolerate Thor for his fleeing?

Is it because we love the comedy? Is it because the stunning performance of comedic god?

Thor destroyed his own planet which his men died protecting,
He has Hulk and Loki but decided to flee.
He could have just let Heimdall flee with all civilians, but he and his team remain to fight till the end (and as superhero movie Thor should have just win).

What if Thor have to defend earth and decided to follow Odin's wisdom to leave earth destroyed cos it's just a place?

And why most of reviewer praise this movie for its comedy, fun and parody? This movie is damaging the superhero character of Thor.

Heroism was that asian-character warrior who fight Hela to the end even though he knew he will never win,
Even Hela knew not to surrender against Surtur.

-------

I love first Thor, everytime the film played in HBO I still watched it.
'That version of Thor' willing to die for human while he lost his power and mjolnir.
That's heroic, that's superhero character.

I feel like watching big tragedy but all we think of was how good the comedy was.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone...
It might be a reboot, but i just disagree with the path they took.

Last edited:
Thor had no choice but to cause the Ragnarok. He and his team could not defeat Hela. It's not fleeing, it was a difficult, but heroic choice. And on a plus side, it was a really refreshing subversion of film tropes.

How much did Thor lost in TR:

- Lost Odin. His father died.
- Lost mjolnir. His trademark weapon was destroyed.
- Lost his friends. The Warriors Three where killed.
- Lost an eye. His sister took it out.
- Lost his home. Asgard was obliterated.

Talk about being put through the wringer.

Also had been dumped by his girlfriend.

I've been thinking a lot whether I wanna put my opinion here...
I saw many positive reviews toward this film, but I just dont have the same vibe with them.

I have fun, smiled and laughed thru most of this movie, tho I left theater without lasting impression.

After some time thinking, I come into conclusion:
This movie was inconsistent.
It was comedic, parody, colorful and fun, but they hid big problem to the character of Thor.
This was not a step forward, this was a step backward to the character.

Thor was a superhero, he was God of Thunder. He was very powerful.
He tried to stop ragnarok,
Tho he lost mjolnir, he still tried to defeat Hela and defend asgard,
He then able to inspire and gather powerful team to face stronger opponent.
Those were traits of superhero.
Those were great.

But...at the end,
He was standing beside Hulk-strongest creature in universe, Loki-god of trickster and Valkrye-strong fighter, feeling powerless against Hela and decided to destroy asgard.
He initiated ragnarok so all asgard destroyed along with Hela.

I dont understand why the director/writer decided to make Thor-Hulk-Loki-Valkrye tag team to flee from enemy and let their planet be destroyed.

Yes asgard was just a place, but that place was defended by hundreds of asgardian who died protecting it. A place where he initially successfully stop ragnarok, a place where all his friends (who was not god of some sort) bravely stood their ground and sacrifice their life for.

Would a superhero at least respect the dead by defending asgard (not to mention he has hulk and loki alongside him also)?

Why the director chose this path?
Why not from beginning somehow someone (maybe Odin) spoke wisdom to all asgardian warriors that they should just flee when faced with very strong godly opponenet? Why we tolerate Thor for his fleeing?

Is it because we love the comedy? Is it because the stunning performance of comedic god?

Thor destroyed his own planet which his men died protecting,
He has Hulk and Loki but decided to flee.
He could have just let Heimdall flee with all civilians, but he and his team remain to fight till the end (and as superhero movie Thor should have just win).

What if Thor have to defend earth and decided to follow Odin's wisdom to leave earth destroyed cos it's just a place?

And why most of reviewer praise this movie for its comedy, fun and parody? This movie is damaging the superhero character of Thor.

Heroism was that asian-character warrior who fight Hela to the end even though he knew he will never win,
Even Hela knew not to surrender against Surtur.

-------

I love first Thor, everytime the film played in HBO I still watched it.
'That version of Thor' willing to die for human while he lost his power and mjolnir.
That's heroic, that's superhero character.

I feel like watching big tragedy but all we think of was how good the comedy was.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone...
It might be a reboot, but i just disagree with the path they took.

The film clearly explains why Thor left Asgard, *ahem* Hela's powers were limitless and continued to grow while on Asgard.

She was UNBEATABLE, so like a responsible king Thor helps bring his PEOPLE to safety and let Surtur destroy Asgard which is the SOURCE OF HER POWER.

I wonder if the post credits scene was a rip from IW. They seem to be going that route more often recently.

Could be, like the CW one from Ant Man.

The midcredit scene, with the ship showing up,. if that really is Thanos' ship,. its a wasted opportunity then for them not showing thanos
I'd have preferred to see a glimpse of him. It would be better for the GA too so they would have an idea about what is going on and start to get hyped for IW.

She didn't dump him though. He dumped her. It was a mutual dump.

I dunno, I also interpreted that scene as Jane having dumped Thor/Thor trying to save face in front of Loki.

They said next time we see Thanos we will know what all the build up has been for.

Feel like Hulk/Banner will use that Grandmaster orgy ship to get to Earth. When all the destruction is happening he wil know it is best to go warn the other heroes. The Birthday ship was on top of their main one in the end.

Glad the orgy ship hasn't been lost!

I'd have preferred to see a glimpse of him. It would be better for the GA too so they would have an idea about what is going on and start to get hyped for IW.
Ya I would have preferred that. I'm an MCU nerd but couldn't figure out who the ship belonged to when I saw the movie (gonna see it again).

And plus I just want more Thanos!

Ya I would have preferred that. I'm an MCU nerd but couldn't figure out who the ship belonged to when I saw the movie (gonna see it again).

And plus I just want more Thanos!

I can imagine a lot of GA guys just seeing a spaceship and not knowing what it meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"