Thor's box office competition - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13th Priest comes out, that's nothing to worry about, Thor will still be in first place, but on the 20th POTC comes out which will bump Thor to 2nd.

June 3rd X Men first class comes out, I don't think that will bother POTC at all, and maybe Thor might still be in 2nd place with X-Men coming in at 3rd.

I understand Iron Man 2 made over one hundred million in its opening weekend. I wonder how Thor is going to do.

If any Marvel film is going to have a problem its Captain America. Already there is a negative buzz about it because of Joe Johnson and some of the set pics, I mean from what I've read on message boards and just talking with other fans, on top of the fact that stupid Transformers 3, Harry Potter, and Cowboys and Aliens comes out that month.

TF: 7/1
HP: 7/15
CA: 7/22
CBA: 7/29

Thor's second viewing >>>> it's first viewing in my opinion

It's score on RT would probably be a bit better if some of the negative reviewers watched it a 2nd time.

This weekend
1. Priest- $75 mill. Bank on it

May 13th Priest comes out, that's nothing to worry about, Thor will still be in first place, but on the 20th POTC comes out which will bump Thor to 2nd.

June 3rd X Men first class comes out, I don't think that will bother POTC at all, and maybe Thor might still be in 2nd place with X-Men coming in at 3rd.

I understand Iron Man 2 made over one hundred million in its opening weekend. I wonder how Thor is going to do.

If any Marvel film is going to have a problem its Captain America. Already there is a negative buzz about it because of Joe Johnson and some of the set pics, I mean from what I've read on message boards and just talking with other fans, on top of the fact that stupid Transformers 3, Harry Potter, and Cowboys and Aliens comes out that month.

But Cap is released with no real competition afterwards. THe closest thing is Cowboys and Aliens, which I dont think will be that big (even though I stoked for it). I dont think Cap will be #1 though because of HP7, but I think it'll still make good money if it's good

^ True (in regards to CA), I think good numbers are good numbers no matter if it's number one at the box office or not.

Thor's second viewing >>>> it's first viewing in my opinion

It's score on RT would probably be a bit better if some of the negative reviewers watched it a 2nd time.

That was certainly my experience. I refrained from commenting much on my first viewing because the movie just didn't connect with me that strongly. Not that I didn't like it, but it felt a little "off" to me for some reason.

Second time, everything just came together, and I was really moved by the story, which I hadn't been at first.

This weekend
1. Priest- It will never get to $75 mill by its final run. Bank on it

But Cap is released with no real competition afterwards. THe closest thing is Cowboys and Aliens, which I dont think will be that big (even though I stoked for it). I dont think Cap will be #1 though because of HP7, but I think it'll still make good money if it's good

:awesome:

You mean 2nd place for that weekend or 2nd place overall box office for the year to date?

You guys forget that Hangover is also coming out which will also bump Thor down

Priest is only tracking a $12 million opening and $28 million overall.

If Priest makes $28 million, I will need to go shopping for a hat to eat.

I'm thinking Cap will open bigger than Thor. The character is much more well known now than either Iron Man or Thor were before their movies came out.

Transformers 3 will be done with by the time it comes out & while HP might be a problem, I doubt it'll stay number one for two weeks in a row.

Cap will likely open bigger domestically at least.

If Priest makes $28 million, I will need to go shopping for a hat to eat.

You'll all be proven wrong

I don't see that happening. This isn't a proven franchise, nor is it a big brand, nor are there any big actors, nor is there a major company behind it (Screen Gems has an awful track record), and above all of that, the initial reviews are just plain awful, which does have some effect on the movies in terms of sales.

I see it making $20 million OW (around what Legion made last year) and that's me being nice, very nice.

pfft you'll all see. $50 mill at the least for Priest

That movie is what you should be more worried about. It's still a wildcard though due to one of two possible situations:

1. Bridesmaids appeal is lumped in between men and women, with people not going due to being confused by which group it appeals to more
2. Both males and females are impressed by the promotion and both see it.

Still, with either scenario I don't see Bridesmaids overtaking Thor unless Thor takes a huge drop.

Bridesmaids will do well since it's got some good early buzz and it will have the counter-programming advantage.

So Thor will still make more than First class opening weekend even after 4 weeks out lol is this a joke .I love it when people underestimate First class

Thor might, just might beat Priest this weekend. But, do not discount the film Bridesmaids. It's getting massively great reviews. It's a counter film to Thor and Priest. It's going to be a tight, tight weekend between those three films.

I see Thor settling in at around 175-190 million domestically. Internationally and home video sales is where Thor's going to make its money. It's already passed the Incredible Hulk's worldwide gross, so you know Marvel's happy. A sequel is pretty much guaranteed for a release in 2014 now.

And yeah, don't underestimate X-Men First Class. It might just be the most critically praised comic book film this year. It has the hurdle of following up two pretty terrible X-Men films. I think it'll follow the same path as Batman Begins....great legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"