Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Thread Manager, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Thor_Odinson Registered

I'm still hoping they will do some sort of reference to Jane in the Avengers.

2. itchyscratch Registered

The one conversation I'm really looking forward to hearing is between Thor and Banner after Thor has fought Hulk. As someone who is supremely confident in who he is, his ability, strength, power etc, I can imagine Thor being fascinated by Banner/Hulk and the conflict between the personas. I'm not a fan of everything Joss does, but he can write those types of conversations extremely well.

3. ThorThunderGod Registered

Hell YEAH!!!!:awesome:

4. 04nbod I need to debrief you

Cap is pulling ahead of Thor. Getting 2 Mill more on its first Monday than Thor did.

That said. Thor is now outgrossing X Men, Green Lantern and Kung Fu Panda on a daily basis.

5. BigThor God of Thunder

^^^ You can't forget that school was still in when Thor first hit theaters.

6. rayc1971 Registered

im glad to see that 180 mill domestic which means it outgrossed wolverine domestic and world wide!

7. 04nbod I need to debrief you

World wide is creeping ever closer to the lovely $450M mark. It now stands at $447,360,971 with international numbers having updated through 24/7 on BOM

#307 04nbod, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. CaptainCraig Registered

With Monday totals THOR has leap frogged Green Lantern in the rankings. Monday totals were:
    Thor - $58,223 12 weeks+ in release
    GL - $51,566 6 weeks+

:woot:

9. Gamma Burst Registered

That's impressive. Great legs for this movie!

10. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

I never cared for Thor...

But I saw this twice. Great movie deserves great legs.

11. 04nbod I need to debrief you

No one can blame you really. Thor is a great character but his canon is a mess. Its so convoluted. The best Thor stories (except the Simonson stuff) are able to strip all that back into the bare essentials.

Look at JMS, got rid of all the gods and introduced them one by one. Kept Sif trapped so we could go through Jane to get to her and he could reintroduce that love triangle. The only place he dropped the ball was with Blake, he got people thinking Blake and Thor were different people which is weird.

Roger Langridge's 5x Harvey Award nominated Thor: The Mighty Avenger followed the plot of the movie. He kept he heart and soul of Thor's canon intact by focusing on Thor/Jane. Gave us a truly mischievious Loki and again introduced the gods slowly.

The movie probably could have done without Sif so the Warrior's Three could have gotten more to do. (It became the Warrior's Four with her really). But it was essentially the same thing. Focus on the heart and soul of the characters, Thor's determination to please his father, his love for his brother and his love for Jane.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes follows the same rules. Thor's relationship with his father, his brother and Jane. The tie in comic even hinted at him being Donald Blake.

Now. If only Marvel would get the memo about keeping things simple. :p

12. ThorThunderGod Registered

Weekdays in May are different from weekdays in July, for one thing there were still classes back when Thor was showing. That said, I will be curious if Cap overtake Thor's domestic total during its entire run.

Anyway, Thor is closer and closer to the $450M mark.:yay:

13. blinkinrogue Registered

CA may outgross thor domestically but it has to have better legs than thor to do that, im surprised Thor keeps going and going despite showing for about 3 months :wow: ww though, i still think thor will be the 2011 cbm champion

14. Gamma Burst Registered

I'm also (and happy) with its legs!

15. ThorThunderGod Registered

Cap's 5 day haul has a $4M advantage over Thor's first 5 days. I think Cap is on pace to definitely out-gross Thor's domestic run. :csad:

16. ThorThunderGod Registered

I think Thor got an extra boost this week because of the Avengers teaser trailer at the end of the Cap movie. The movie was practically on life-support a few weeks ago. NOw, it overtakes Green Lantern and X-Men First Class on a daily basis, even if it was shown months in advance. Great Thor showing, for sure, but let's give credit where it's due...Avengers trailer.

17. CaptainCraig Registered

I wouldn't be surprised if people went back and saw it again, not new viewers but repeat just to connect the dots clearer. Between the teseract/cube itself, Yddrasil Tree of the World(I know I misspelled that something fierce), mention of Odin's throne room. And yes that Avengers tease couldn't have hurt at all.

A coworker of mine took his kids to see it at the $1.50 theater cause they hadn't seen it and he wanted to see it again.

I know the DVD is due soon but could this remain in theaters post release and keep eeking out some money. Not that another $100K or $1m mark is going to matter at this point. The sequel is on the slate and all.

18. KittyDuran Registered

You can count me in that group (20 times-but only stayed past the credits for about 5 times). Saw it again at another cheap theater last night for $3. Pretty good crowd with a good age range ~ 20 people. I can see it being showed for maybe another week-then waiting for the DVD. :csad:

19. Gamma Burst Registered

Just ordered the DVD/Blue-Ray. :cool:

20. Vartha Mod of Thunder

What ticks me off the most is Thor does better than GL: and has CRUD for books, and t shirts IN STORES.

I even said that to the idiots at Barnes and Noble. I told them Thor CRUSHED GL and yet there isn't even a child's movie book in here.

21. Gamma Burst Registered

It's their loss.:o:yay:

22. Vartha Mod of Thunder

More like mine! I mean why should I have to ORDER the books when Marvel's been doing better than WB/DC for the most part?

23. KittyDuran Registered

And they (B&N) still have the GL stuff displayed in my area... :oldrazz:

24. Weadazoid Registered

His Cannon is all over the place but you have to love the run that takes place from 340 to 400 in the original late 80's books. Lots of great stuff on Earth, followed by a pretty well done increadible build up to a war of the gods with Thor throwing down against Set, Egyptian god of death

25. Thor_Odinson Registered

My local B & N still has it's GL display. None of the books are moving though. The Thor one they had was replaced by Pirates 4 and now Cap.