Thor's box office competition - Part 1

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Thread Manager, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

TIH couldn't have sunk them. It was only $35M or so away from breaking even in theaters(if my 2X budget rule pans out) and that is easily mitigated by what a runaway success Iron Man was. and TIH eventually DID become profitable once DVD, TV rights got included(probably a tidy profit but one never the less). And that's not even counting other ancillaries like toy tie ins, etc. TIH may have made them take stock and realize that one good bomb could wipe them out so they opted for the security that Disney was offering.

2. S.A.A.D. Registered

I'm still not keen about the movies that are going to be made by Marvel Studios in the future. Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange? NO THANKS.

3. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Im waiting for Black Panther and Im open to the rest

4. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Since the rights of Spiderman, X-Men, and F4 are all controlled by rival studios, what other movies do you think Marvel Studio can do? Btw, you left out Black Panther, Luke Cage, and possible spinoffs like SHIELD, Hawkeye, and Black Widow.

5. Chewy REDACTED

Made about 4M domestically Wednesday. Worldwide total is around 275M.

6. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Eh, they're all great characters with loads of potential, so I'm looking forward to them.

7. Spideyfan93 Hayley Atwell I love you!

Not sold on Ant Man but I'm looking forward to Iron Fist and Doctor Strange. Not familiar with either character, but both concepts are awesome for cinema.

8. The Morningstar Registered

Why not? All great characters with great mythologies and bags of potential.

You telling me you wouldn't want to see a bad ass martial arts/mysticism movie?

9. S.A.A.D. Registered

Luke Cage? Black Panther? Hawkeye? Nope. I would really like see Vision get the big screen treatment. I'm a sucker for Scarlett Johanson as the Black Widow. :hrt:

A Shield movie with the Hellcarrier involved? I would be sold.

10. The Morningstar Registered

You wouldn't want to see a Black Panther movie either?

Things like Black Panther, Iron Fist and Doctor Strange have heaps of cinematic potential. Even if they weren't based on comic books those concepts are brilliant.

11. marcvader Lurker #1

Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Ant Man top my list. Ant Man because of Wasp, Ultron, and Vision. Ironfist and Cage only interest me if its Heroes for Hire.

12. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'm hoping the Vision can make it into an Avengers sequel, if there is one. He's kind of a second-generation Avenger, so they never seem to want to start with him on the team.

13. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Good hold for Wed, I figured the drop would be over 20% with Tuesday going up the way it did. Should easily make the 18M for the week that I was hoping, perhaps a little more.

14. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Not really. Look at which of their comics sell. If they can't get Thor and Cap to sell, how are they going to get Ant-man to sell?

Like I say Marvel's top properties are with other studios, so if they can't bank with Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk and Avengers, they are going to have to hope that Disney buys back the rights to those other characters.

They moved on from Hulk because it did worse the second time around, and they still had Thor, Cap, Avengers and the Iron Man sequels to push.

What I want to dispel is that Marvel operates like it does with it's Fox properties. The whole point of Marvel Studios is they fund the projects not the distributors. Fantastic Four was shelved because the money was being fronted by Fox.

So it's a misconseption that Paramount has any standing on if this movie gets a sequel, which is why if Feige says it's getting a sequel, it's getting a sequel. Marvel Studios is the ones putting up the money, not Paramount, they only pay to distribute the film and take a cut of the profits. With Disney owning Marvel, Marvel Studios still foots the bill for the development, but Disney can cover distribution, which is much cheaper and the Disney corp can recover 100% of the profits.

The only way Disney gets concerned is if Marvel is unprofitable, and Marvel Studios is just one division of Marvel. If Marvel becomes unprofitable and other sectors of Disney are having to make up for their losses, then they will probably spin them off, or the board of directors could force Marvel Studios to be absorbed into Disney Pictures.

My main point is people act like the old rules are still in play, and they are not.

15. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I want a ****ing Dr. Strange movie.

16. Raiden Wakanda Forever

With Johnny Depp, hopefully. :awesome:

17. Alientraveller Registered

TIH did outgross Hulk domestically and internationally, even if it was because of inflation. Regardless, Feige noted "One was to make even a dollar more than the first one did, so we could justify that we had done it from a financial aspect, and the other one was to bring a Hulk to the screen that a broader fanbase could enjoy. The good news is, we accomplished both." Furthermore, he noted Hulk would not have a sequel until The Avengers, which would further increase interest in the character. It's the same situation with Thor and Cap, Iron Man could have the 2010 sequel because his film became a bona fide franchise. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/15...redible-hulk-again-marvel-president-yes.jhtml)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite confident Thor will return in 2014.

18. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Agreed, Avengers will definitely be a catalyst to promote all four of the Marvel Studios projects they have currently done.

Yes TIH, did gross more than Hulk. People thought it a good film, but because it opened lower, it really could have done better. Needless to say, I wouldn't call it an out and out failure. I know few people who say the movie was terrible.

The main point I'm trying to make is Marvel is calling all the shots on if the film gets the sequel, and most people don't seem to understand that. If they don't make a sequel it is Marvel's decision not Paramount's. Disney also has very limited say in what Marvel does/doesn't do. They are running Marvel just like they run Pixar, as a partner company more than a subsidiary.

19. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    Do you guys think that Thor can make 250 Million in the foreign market? because i now think Thor will make about 160 million domestically and hit maybe 250 internationally hopefully making about 400 million

20. Chewy REDACTED

Yes, of course. It will blow past 250M OS. It'll challenge 300M and may hit it depending on legs.

21. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

So that puts it's totals from Mon-Wed at what? I'm a tad behind :csad:

22. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

around 15M. Like I say it should do 18M from M-T quite easily which is what I was hoping for.

Things look very good for a 30-32M run over the weekend. I've seen some project higher, but it looks to have legs.

23. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Excellente!!! :up:

24. Raiden Wakanda Forever

:up:

25. marcvader Lurker #1

Moviegoers are definitely enjoying this movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.