Tim Burton for Harry Potter 7!?

Burton and del Toro are a no for me. When will people stop brown nosing Pan's Labrinthe? It is the most dissapointing piece of overhyped unimaginative tripe I've seen in years. I know I'm in the minority and I won't turn this into an anti PL rant, but basically stick with the guy that did OotP and is doing HBP, make it his trilogy.

um...okay? :huh:

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a favorite of many kids who grew up in the `80s.

Beetlejuice is a VERY POPULAR movie. The movie was one of the top 10 grossing movies of 1988. There was a successful cartoon series. There's a successful Beetlejuice show at Universal Studios. And Beetlejuice is STILL a very popular Halloween costume.

Batman & Batman Returns are only nitpicked by comic book fanboys. The general public has always enjoyed both installments.

Mars Attacks is mixed. I'll give you that.

Planet of the Apes was a piece of crap. I'll give you that as well.

Big Fish has gotten a positive response from everyone I know. :huh: And it was nominated for a Best Picture Golden Globe.

Beetlejuice still a very popular Halloween costume? Sorry, but when is the last time you went outside for Halloween? Hell, I don't even think stores in New York have carried a Beetlejuice costume in.. uh, a while. A long while. The cartoon, along with the film itself, are relics. There's a great deal of kids today who don't even know who Beetlejuice is, let alone have seen the film.

And his Batman movies enjoyed by the general public? Maybe at first(I was too young to notice or care), but again, they haven't aged well. The only people you'll find enjoying it nowadays are the comic book fanboys. I'm not very fond or knowledgable of Batman or DC or a great deal of comics in general, but the movies are pretty damn ****ty. As movies. I've only sat through each of them once, and outside of the score, I really can't see what was so heavily praised about these films, whatsoever.

Burton certainly has style and talent, but more often than not, he screws things up big time and makes films that are either forgettable, or films that you wish you could forget. When he doesn't, we get a Nightmare Before Christmas or a Big Fish. When he does, well, see above.

Burton and del Toro are a no for me. When will people stop brown nosing Pan's Labrinthe? It is the most dissapointing piece of overhyped unimaginative tripe I've seen in years. I know I'm in the minority and I won't turn this into an anti PL rant, but basically stick with the guy that did OotP and is doing HBP, make it his trilogy.

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was good, but not as good as people make it out to be.

I like the guy who did Ootp for sure, I don't think they need to replace him, but the screen writer from OoTP could used to be replaced imo

however even if you didn't like PL, Hellboy is one of the 3 best superhero movies imo, and Devils Backbone might be one of the best movies ever madeimo, Del Toro rules

I like the guy who did Ootp for sure, I don't think they need to replace him, but the screen writer from OoTP could used to be replaced imo

Screenwriter, maybe. But I loved the cinematography (on par with POA in parts), editing generally and direction.

however even if you didn't like PL, Hellboy is one of the 3 best superhero movies imo, and Devils Backbone might be one of the best movies ever madeimo, Del Toro rules

Not seen DB, but I don't really rate Hellboy that highly, SM2, SR and BR take the top three spots easily for me.

I want Terry Gilliam to do a Potter film

Screenwriter, maybe. But I loved the cinematography (on par with POA in parts), editing generally and direction.

Not seen DB, but I don't really rate Hellboy that highly, SM2, SR and BR take the top three spots easily for me.

we clearly have massively different tastes in movies as those two are near the bottom for me

so its all good

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Horrible, horrible, horrible...

Burton has good TONES to his movie..as in appearance...but other than that he is seriously lacking.

I want Terry Gilliam to do a Potter film

J.K. Rowling originally wanted him to helm the first flick, but the studio wanted someone more mainstream -- namely Chris Columbus -- to make it more marketable. And Gilliam has essentially put himself out of the running by criticizing Warner Brothers by saying (this is not verbatim) "They had their chance the first time around, and they blew it."

And why does the majority assume that Burton will direct the final film because his current squeeze is in the final three flicks? It seems like a ridiculous assumption, not to mention his style wouldn't fit with the films at all. A resounding "no" to this poll, although I wouldn't mind seeing Danny Elfman take a crack at the score for DH.

My dream crew for DH would have the return of Alfonso Cuaron, his cinematographer Emmanuel Lubiezki, composer John Williams and have the script co-written by Steve Kloves and Michael Goldenberg. (I wouldn't mind seeing David Yates return for the final film, provided he dump Nicholas Hooper and bring back Williams to finish the series out.) Guillermo del Toro is highly overrated, but I wouldn't mind him as a director -- provided the script sticks to the story in the book and not be R-rated.

No way, I like Burton, but his style is not for HP.

Burton has his place, but I don't think it's suitable for the final installment of the Potter films.

we clearly have massively different tastes in movies as those two are near the bottom for me

so its all good

Shocked that you rate those two so low, but I'm sure you have you're reasons, so yep it is all good.

----
Were has the proper HBP thread gone?

I agree Hellboy was one the best Superhero movies ever IMO :up:

Shocked that you rate those two so low, but I'm sure you have you're reasons, so yep it is all good.

----
Were has the proper HBP thread gone?

Well Superman Returns is just as dry as the original Superman movie, but imo misses all the heart and humanity displayed in that movie, while featuring a movie with a 250 million dollar budget and no real action in it, the lone saving grace the fantastic kevin spacey. But all in all just an expensive remake of the original with all the problems most remakes have imo

I don't really like ether of the Burton Batman movies but BR becomes to blatantly gothic for a character who while dark isn't gothic, both movies have just tremendious amounts of flaws, but the tone of the first was at least bordering on noir like I think a Batman movie should. Burton's contrasting tones in both movies however turn me off as the villains cross an imaginary line set by the theatrics of the rocky horror picture show being so overly theatric, but when it is time for them to be baddies they aren't really believably bad

and then we also have different tastes cause I think Hellboy and PL rule...

I thought Hellboy was very boring, well made, but the story sucked, same with Pan's Labyrinth. I don't think Del Toro would be good in the movie because he really lacks the ability to direct a great villian, he's great with the hero and the set design, but his villians I always find very lacking and Voldemort needs to be like the bogeyman in the seventh movie, constantly on your mind and appearing when you least expect it.

At the same time I think Tim Burton would be even worse, his style doesn't fit Harry Potter, it's fantasy yes, but fantasy firmly set in the real world.

I'd like Cuaron to come back, I think he's made the best Potter movie yet, every character was portrayed perfectly and it had that darker tone that Columbus isn't able to convey. I just hope the story isn't butchered like the past 3 and most likely Half Blood Prince as well, skipping the most important aspects of each story, PoA, The Maradur's, GoF, Priori Incantum and Voldemort's/Crouch Jr.'s plan, OotP, The Prophecy.

I thought Hellboy was very boring, well made, but the story sucked, same with Pan's Labyrinth. I don't think Del Toro would be good in the movie because he really lacks the ability to direct a great villian, he's great with the hero and the set design, but his villians I always find very lacking and Voldemort needs to be like the bogeyman in the seventh movie, constantly on your mind and appearing when you least expect it.

At the same time I think Tim Burton would be even worse, his style doesn't fit Harry Potter, it's fantasy yes, but fantasy firmly set in the real world.

I'd like Cuaron to come back, I think he's made the best Potter movie yet, every character was portrayed perfectly and it had that darker tone that Columbus isn't able to convey. I just hope the story isn't butchered like the past 3 and most likely Half Blood Prince as well, skipping the most important aspects of each story, PoA, The Maradur's, GoF, Priori Incantum and Voldemort's/Crouch Jr.'s plan, OotP, The Prophecy.

At least you don't want Burton

I will yield to Del Toro as long as it is for a no Burton vote, however I will stand by Del Toro I don't think there is a finer story teller than he. Cuaron also owns imo he would be great, or the guy they have now is just fine, or the guy who did 4

Beetlejuice still a very popular Halloween costume? Sorry, but when is the last time you went outside for Halloween? Hell, I don't even think stores in New York have carried a Beetlejuice costume in.. uh, a while. A long while.

Its still popular in Miami. :huh:

There's a great deal of kids today who don't even know who Beetlejuice is, let alone have seen the film.

Kids today suck. But, whatever, its popular with kids who grew up in the `80s.

And his Batman movies enjoyed by the general public? Maybe at first(I was too young to notice or care), but again, they haven't aged well. The only people you'll find enjoying it nowadays are the comic book fanboys.

The batman movies (begins included) are not movies the general public obsesses over. Atleast not like Star Wars or Spider-Man, but if you ask anyone from the general public "hey remember those batman movies with michael keaton" they'll respond with "yea, I remember those. They were pretty cool."

And the kids today who have seen those Burton Batman movies enjoy it more than Batman Begins. As great as Begins is it isn't something kids really enjoyed. I remember in 2005 when the movie was released we discussed that at the boards. So even if the movies haven't "aged well" the new generation doesn't seem to notice or care.

Burton certainly has style and talent, but more often than not, he screws things up big time and makes films that are either forgettable, or films that you wish you could forget.

It's forgettable to you. I think most people remember his movies. Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Batman, Nightmare, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Apes, Big Fish, Willy Wonka, and Corpse Bride are movies most people STILL remember.

And why does the majority assume that Burton will direct the final film because his current squeeze is in the final three flicks?

Is this REALLY something that the majority has been assuming? :huh:

although I wouldn't mind seeing Danny Elfman take a crack at the score for DH.

:hoboj:

Its still popular in Miami. :huh:

Kids today suck. But, whatever, its popular with kids who grew up in the `80s.

The batman movies (begins included) are not movies the general public obsesses over. Atleast not like Star Wars or Spider-Man, but if you ask anyone from the general public "hey remember those batman movies with michael keaton" they'll respond with "yea, I remember those. They were pretty cool."

And the kids today who have seen those Burton Batman movies enjoy it more than Batman Begins. As great as Begins is it isn't something kids really enjoyed. I remember in 2005 when the movie was released we discussed that at the boards. So even if the movies haven't "aged well" the new generation doesn't seem to notice or care.

It's forgettable to you. I think most people remember his movies. Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Batman, Nightmare, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Apes, Big Fish, Willy Wonka, and Corpse Bride are movies most people STILL remember.

Is this REALLY something that the majority has been assuming? :huh:

:hoboj:

Most of this stuff is so transparent its not even funny, A first you say kids today suck (which is a ridiculous statement cause the same lame kids that suck today because they like dragon ball z, are the same lame kids that thought thunder cats was cool in the 80's etc etc, kids are always lame but sweet), but first you say today kids suck, and then you say they are the kids who would say Batman is cooler than BB??

first you say kids today suck

High School Musical + Hanna Montana = A generation that should ashamed of itself. :o

then you say they are the kids who would say Batman is cooler than BB??

And? I'm just pointing out that the movies "may have aged badly" but its not like they will be forgotten in the next 5-10 years. :huh:

High School Musical + Hanna Montana = A generation that should ashamed of itself. :o

they are just kids, I thought Power Rangers where cool back in the day as did everyone, and Pokemon, I don't know what gen you are from

And? I'm just pointing out that the movies "may have aged badly" but its not like they will be forgotten in the next 5-10 years. :huh:

I beg to differ, while not yet if TDK shows what the Joker should be like it looks like they are going to do, and possibly two face too the Burton movies will be shown for the folly they are, and Batman fans will be vindicated of having pop cultures only reference to their favorite superheros and villains be that ****ing prince scene in the art museum

they are just kids, I thought Power Rangers where cool back in the day as did everyone, and Pokemon, I don't know what gen you are from

Every generation has enjoyed crappy tv shows, but the current one has taken it to a new level. As bad as Power Rangers was (and it was really bad) it's still a hundred times better than High School Musical.

I beg to differ

I think Kevin Roegle said it best. Batman franchise is just like James Bond franchise. Each franchise has had different types of movies and all of them will survive the test of time. 50 years from now people will still watch and enjoy/complain the Adam West, Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan movies.

Every generation has enjoyed crappy tv shows, but the current one has taken it to a new level. As bad as Power Rangers was (and it was really bad) it's still a hundred times better than High School Musical.

I think Kevin Roegle said it best. Batman franchise is just like James Bond franchise. Each franchise has had different types of movies and all of them will survive the test of time. 50 years from now people will still watch and enjoy/complain the Adam West, Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan movies.

What do you think 20-30's year olds in 1993 where saying about PR? That kids have taken lame to a new level...its no different

The difference between Batman and Bond, is that Bond really hasn't redone old villains or old story lines, they are going back to the start sure, but it works with in the confides of the franchise. Batman is a literally redoing of the franchise, literally they said "this isn't good enough anymore, this style doesn't work for people anymore, lets just go back to the beginning get an inspired story teller to tell the story" and now they are doing the Joker, which is the ultimate test really, will he make people forget about Jack's Joker, if he does you may see many people stop talking about the original batman movies, cause he (joker) tends to be the one thing most people hold their hats on who still wish that Burton can make a better bat film than Nolan

I'd like to see spielberg turn that mediocre book into a masterpiece. Burton will just take the mediocre book and turn it into a weird wacky mediocre movie. He's much better doing original tim burton movies than adaptations imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"