Ultron

Out of curosity who is else is an ANT-MAN villain besides Ultron, I never read his comics

Out of curosity who is else is an ANT-MAN villain besides Ultron, I never read his comics

Uh, Porcupine, Egghead, Human Top/Whirlwind, off the top of my head. Porcupine and Egghead are jokes, of course, but Whirlwind had actual, almost respectable powers.

He was *used* in an entirely different context, with no mention of the small bit of fanservice that went unnoticed by 99.5% of the audience

You're still in denial about the IG.
It's about a whoooooole lot more than a "blink and you miss it" easter egg in one film. If that was the ONLY instance of the IG in the MCU, you'd have a point. But you continue to ignore the fact that the IG is also prominently referenced in the Thor art book; in the Kevin Feige video interview; and, most prominently of all, in front of thousands of fanboys and girls to ogle, study and photograph at SDCC. Not to mention the fact that Joss goes out of his way to show a brief clip in Avengers showing that Thanos is not wearing his most famous accessory of all.

It's not a matter of Marvel hinging a big chunk of the MCU on "a small bit of fanservice": they're hinging it on the most famous story arc associated with Thanos, and on one of the most famous story arcs in Marvel history, period.

Yes, Thanos and his gauntlet will play a large role moving forward. No one has said anything to the contrary?

You're just so hung up on the Easter Egg in Thor, as though they're obligated to structure the entire story around a little barely noticeable wink at the fans

Anyway, not going to get sucked into a big argument regarding this, especially since this is an Ultron thread. Have a nice day :)

Uh, Porcupine, Egghead, Human Top/Whirlwind, off the top of my head. Porcupine and Egghead are jokes, of course, but Whirlwind had actual, almost respectable powers.

Egghead ain't that bad besides the fact his got a head shaped like an egg his just another mad scientist type villlain no different from golden age Lex Luthor.

Other Ant-Man villains include 'the voice' a radio announcer about to lose his job until a freak radiation accident gave him a persuasive voice that nobody can disobey it, he uses his power to turn everyone against Ant-Man.

Hank Pym's Ant-Man defeats the voice by infecting him with weaponized microbes that cause laryngitis which is a very strange way to defeat a supervillain but also kind of smart I always thought.

The voice worked for the Red Skull in Captain America #369-370.

I guess his powers are similar to Purpleman and Jesse Custer from Preacher.

The Voice was also a member of the People's Defense Force which was a team of Ant-Man villains which included

The Beasts of Berlin a team of super intelligent gorillas (why is that so popular in comics? lol)

Madame X a Hungarian super spy (master of disguise, espionage, stealth, ect) she is like a cross between a villainous version of Black Widow and Spider-Man villain Chameleon.

The Scarlet Beetle a mutated intelligent talking beetle.

El Toro a Cuban mercenary who wore a silly horned skull cap and tried to gore people like a bull. He was like a lame version of Rhino.

You're still in denial about the IG.
It's about a whoooooole lot more than a "blink and you miss it" easter egg in one film. If that was the ONLY instance of the IG in the MCU, you'd have a point. But you continue to ignore the fact that the IG is also prominently referenced in the Thor art book; in the Kevin Feige video interview; and, most prominently of all, in front of thousands of fanboys and girls to ogle, study and photograph at SDCC. Not to mention the fact that Joss goes out of his way to show a brief clip in Avengers showing that Thanos is not wearing his most famous accessory of all.

It's not a matter of Marvel hinging a big chunk of the MCU on "a small bit of fanservice": they're hinging it on the most famous story arc associated with Thanos, and on one of the most famous story arcs in Marvel history, period.

That is not his argument. his argument is that, that little bit may not be enough to base the story off of. We KNOW the IG is in the vault. We know it is in the MCU.

All he is suggesting is that some of the gems may be scattered, etc.

But seriously, I created this thread to talk about Ultron.

I don't want it to be closed, so lets get back on topic guys.

That is not his argument. his argument is that, that little bit may not be enough to base the story off of. We KNOW the IG is in the vault. We know it is in the MCU.

All he is suggesting is that some of the gems may be scattered, etc.

But seriously, I created this thread to talk about Ultron.

I don't want it to be closed, so lets get back on topic guys.

Okay.
What if Ultron steals the Infinity Gauntlet? Discuss. :oldrazz:

Yeah guys. I like to discuss Ultron in my Ultron thread...do that more. Less Thanos/Gauntlet talk.

THAT would be something. He would probably enslave mankind, and remake the world in his image.

Ultron despises humanity so much that he would rather exterminate it than enslave it. My guess is that he would be like Skynet, only infinitely worse. He would take control of all computer systems, defense networks, robotics, etc. in order to cause a catastrophe that would wipe out all life on Earth. Ultron might keep Hank Pym alive until the end, just to torture his father that extra bit.

Someone asked a few pages back what's so great about Ultron. To me, an insanely powerful robot with an Oedipus Complex and a pathological hatred for all living things is one of the greatest villains imaginable. Decades before computer viruses and malware became a reality, Roy Thomas had Ultron hiding bits of his code and consciousness in parts of his body and other machines, so that he could survive "death" no matter how hard the heroes tried to eradicate him. It's impossible to ever kill him, and he will never stop trying to kill us. He's like the ultimate Terminator, but with the entire Earth as his target. It's a very chilling concept.

Ultron despises humanity so much that he would rather exterminate it than enslave it. My guess is that he would be like Skynet, only infinitely worse. He would take control of all computer systems, defense networks, robotics, etc. in order to cause a catastrophe that would wipe out all life on Earth. Ultron might keep Hank Pym alive until the end, just to torture his father that extra bit.

Someone asked a few pages back what's so great about Ultron. To me, an insanely powerful robot with an Oedipus Complex and a pathological hatred for all living things is one of the greatest villains imaginable. Decades before computer viruses and malware became a reality, Roy Thomas had Ultron hiding bits of his code and consciousness in parts of his body and other machines, so that he could survive "death" no matter how hard the heroes tried to eradicate him. It's impossible to ever kill him, and he will never stop trying to kill us. He's like the ultimate Terminator, but with the entire Earth as his target. It's a very chilling concept.

And more simply, the idea of "Skynet as Supervillain" is a perfectly salable concept. Terminator, and the robot revolt in general, is part of pop culture. Having the robot revolution happen with a ( hopefully ) charismatic leader for it would work fine.

He wont steal the infinity gauntlet... I feel as though thats a stretch... Acquiring the power gem, ok. but stealing the gauntlet.... thats a bit far fetched.... I am still a fan of him getting the power gem.

He wont steal the infinity gauntlet... I feel as though thats a stretch... Acquiring the power gem, ok. but stealing the gauntlet.... thats a bit far fetched.... I am still a fan of him getting the power gem.

Ultron stealing the Gauntlet was a joke on my part. Didn't realize folks would take it seriously.

Anyhow, in your scenario, seems more likely that Scott Lang would steal the Power Gem than Hank Pym. It would be pretty hard to come up with a scenario where either Ant-Man would just happen to find a stray Power Gem lying around the lab, though.

Plus, it goes contrary to one of the things that makes Ultron so terrifying: his ability to upgrade himself. You defeat him, he just makes Ultron-2. And Ultron-3. And so on. With each iteration more powerful than before. That's kind of what Ultron is known for. It takes away from his identity to just say some magic cosmic gem is what gives him all his power. Ultron needs to be grounded in reality, not magic. (And face it, Ultron is a very realistic possibility....a self-replicating, self-aware AI.)

Ok, I'm just going to put my two cents in here real quick:

What if Loki DID have the Mind Gem in his staff? What if, yes, Ultron runs on the Power Gem?

Just because a few of the gems are scattered doesn't mean they ALL have to be.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that the brief little nod in Thor was indeed the actual IG. Yes, they show the various colored gems on there, but what if a couple of the gems were fakes? Perhaps Odin placed useless gems in a couple of the sockets because he simply didn't have the actual ones and putting out a boss gauntlet on display with only half the gem sockets filled looks tacky when you're showing off your armory. Perhaps Odin was unaware that a couple of the gems were fakes. Perhaps it was a quarter-second tease at a future plotline that was eventually dropped.

Who knows.

I don't think it's a cop-out on Marvel's part if they say that the gems are actually scattered. It was a VERY brief tease and, yes, plans change when you're working on a franchise this big.

Though, I do have to say that calling the fact that a jet's callsign was "Whiplash" in the first Iron Man movie a 'tease' is kind of grabbing at straws dude. Fighter pilots have cool callsigns - heck, half of the villains in the Marvel universe could be used as callsigns.

Two of the main characters from Top Gun share names with X-Men characters.

Ultron stealing the Gauntlet was a joke on my part. Didn't realize folks would take it seriously.

Anyhow, in your scenario, seems more likely that Scott Lang would steal the Power Gem than Hank Pym. It would be pretty hard to come up with a scenario where either Ant-Man would just happen to find a stray Power Gem lying around the lab, though.

Plus, it goes contrary to one of the things that makes Ultron so terrifying: his ability to upgrade himself. You defeat him, he just makes Ultron-2. And Ultron-3. And so on. With each iteration more powerful than before. That's kind of what Ultron is known for. It takes away from his identity to just say some magic cosmic gem is what gives him all his power. Ultron needs to be grounded in reality, not magic. (And face it, Ultron is a very realistic possibility....a self-replicating, self-aware AI.)

It doesn't have to be simply lying around a lab.

Here's an idea I just came up with that would, hypothetically, explain the Power Gem:

Hank Pym is working for Advanced Idea Mechanics. They're a company that considers Stark Industries a rival and they've seen how the arc-reactor is powering Stark Tower in NYC. They can't just allow Stark Industries to have such a great upper-hand when it comes to clean energy, so they start trying to come up with anything to rival the arc-reactor.

Now, maybe AIM is interested in geo-thermal energy as an alternative to the arc-reactor, or maybe they think vibranium is the key, so they have Pym and his assistant, Ms. Janet Van Dyne, develop some 'dumb' A.I. to take core samples or something. In one such sample they actually find something viable - but it isn't vibranium or anything like that - it's something completely new and it seems to only be this single gem that possesses this "clean energy". It's basically a perpetual battery....

Continue on with the Ant-Man story, Pym discovers that AIM has some sort of nefarious intention, yadda yadda yadda....

At the end of the movie (or at least in the last half), Pym recovers "this power gem" (which he wants to submit as a new element discovery and wants it called 'ultronanium' or something like that) So towards the end Pym develops a 'true' A.I. - an 'intelligent' A.I., that will run on this battery that never runs out of juice - and dubs it 'Project Ultron'. Lead into Avengers 2.

Just a quick little idea I had.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be simply lying around a lab.

Here's an idea I just came up with that would, hypothetically, explain the Power Gem:

Hank Pym is working for Advanced Idea Mechanics. They're a company that considers Stark Industries a rival and they've seen how the arc-reactor is powering Stark Tower in NYC. They can't just allow Stark Industries to have such a great upper-hand when it comes to clean energy, so they start trying to come up with anything to rival the arc-reactor.

Now, maybe AIM is interested in geo-thermal energy as an alternative to the arc-reactor, or maybe they think vibranium is the key, so they have Pym and his assistant, Ms. Janet Van Dyne, develop some 'dumb' A.I. to take core samples or something. In one such sample they actually find something viable - but it isn't vibranium or anything like that - it's something completely new and it seems to only be this single gem that possesses this "clean energy". It's basically a perpetual battery....

Continue on with the Ant-Man story, Pym discovers that AIM has some sort of nefarious intention, yadda yadda yadda....

At the end of the movie (or at least in the last half), Pym recovers "this power gem" (which he wants to submit as a new element discovery and wants it called 'ultronanium' or something like that) So towards the end Pym develops a 'true' A.I. - an 'intelligent' A.I., that will run on this battery that never runs out of juice - and dubs it 'Project Ultron'. Lead into Avengers 2.

Just a quick little idea I had.

And it's a good idea. I'd be all for this plot thread showing up in IM3 and Ant-Man.

But again, on personal preference: I'd rather see Ultron be his "own man," so to speak, able to adapt, adjust and upgrade himself like he does in the comics, rather than making his superpowers dependent on a single uber-mineral that turns out to be a long lost magic gem.

And it's a good idea. I'd be all for this plot thread showing up in IM3 and Ant-Man.

But again, on personal preference: I'd rather see Ultron be his "own man," so to speak, able to adapt, adjust and upgrade himself like he does in the comics, rather than making his superpowers dependent on a single uber-mineral that turns out to be a long lost magic gem.

As would I, but either way its still Ultron and I'll take anything at this point to get him on screen for avengers 2

Ah-ha, and therein lies the beauty of such a storyline...

I think pretty much everyone on here can agree that, possibly even more than Bruce Banner, Hank Pym is a tragic hero. The guy has some serious issues.

How would a guy like that handle the idea that he created his prized A.I., Ultron, which is the crowning achievement of his career, only to have it become sentient and try to destroy the world?

Maybe Hank Pym gives Ultron 'life', but from there Ultron goes on his own - he's fully capable of upgrading himself, repairing himself, and taking care of himself...he doesn't need Pym anymore.

So the scientist fully blames himself, even if not everyone else does, for what happens. He gave the monster life. It really does hearken back to the Frankenstein story.

I think pretty much everyone on here can agree that, possibly even more than Bruce Banner, Hank Pym is a tragic hero. The guy has some serious issues.

How would a guy like that handle the idea that he created his prized A.I., Ultron, which is the crowning achievement of his career, only to have it become sentient and try to destroy the world?

Maybe Hank Pym gives Ultron 'life', but from there Ultron goes on his own - he's fully capable of upgrading himself, repairing himself, and taking care of himself...he doesn't need Pym anymore.

So the scientist fully blames himself, even if not everyone else does, for what happens. He gave the monster life. It really does hearken back to the Frankenstein story.

Well I was thinking about it, it seems Pym and Stark have something in common here. I mean, both of them were responsible for powerful innovations that take innocent lives. Only difference is Stark invented them for that purpose. He made/continues to make amends, Pym should always strive to make amends.

This I like. I like the idea that Pym's most successful scientific contribution and a breakthrough becomes a massive threat to life on Earth. But also I want to see it be presented to also show that Ultron is Pym's dark side given form. Pym has very real mental problems, and secretly resents his friends, his team of Avengers, his wife, himself, his colleagues, etc. And when he scans his own mind for the blueprints to Ultron's brain Ultron becomes sort of the evil version of Pym. I also think Ultron would continue on and along with his upgrades he would upgrade his mind and formulate his own hatred and reasons for them. And Pym being like his father, Ultron is like the son who learns to be full of hate at his father's rivals from his father. Pym blames himself and feels more guilt than he is actually blamed for. He also would feel such guilt because all his doubts, fears, hatred, resentments, anger, sadness, etc, have been made public in a very big and public way. Plus Pym already suffers from real mental problems like anxiety, stress, schizophrenia, etc. So this wouldn't help him.
So its like Frankenstein's monster, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sort of, and a father and son story.
Bring in the idea that Ultron creates Vision, and Vision sees the flaws in Ultron's hate and turns against his own father, and it becomes a generational thing. The grandfather (Pym) inadvertently passes down his hate to his son (Ultron), the son (Ultron) passes down his hate to his own son (Vision) who listens to the grandfather who has changed his heart. Ultimately Vision would in a way redeem Pym.

Yeah, I could kind of see Ultron being what Pym would be if he were to become evil.

This I like. I like the idea that Pym's most successful scientific contribution and a breakthrough becomes a massive threat to life on Earth. But also I want to see it be presented to also show that Ultron is Pym's dark side given form. Pym has very real mental problems, and secretly resents his friends, his team of Avengers, his wife, himself, his colleagues, etc. And when he scans his own mind for the blueprints to Ultron's brain Ultron becomes sort of the evil version of Pym. I also think Ultron would continue on and along with his upgrades he would upgrade his mind and formulate his own hatred and reasons for them. And Pym being like his father, Ultron is like the son who learns to be full of hate at his father's rivals from his father. Pym blames himself and feels more guilt than he is actually blamed for. He also would feel such guilt because all his doubts, fears, hatred, resentments, anger, sadness, etc, have been made public in a very big and public way. Plus Pym already suffers from real mental problems like anxiety, stress, schizophrenia, etc. So this wouldn't help him.
So its like Frankenstein's monster, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sort of, and a father and son story.
Bring in the idea that Ultron creates Vision, and Vision sees the flaws in Ultron's hate and turns against his own father, and it becomes a generational thing. The grandfather (Pym) inadvertently passes down his hate to his son (Ultron), the son (Ultron) passes down his hate to his own son (Vision) who listens to the grandfather who has changed his heart. Ultimately Vision would in a way redeem Pym.

You've really hit the nail on the head there: This is all Pym when you really boil it down. Ultron is Pym's flaws made manifest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"