Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]491579[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]488323[/split]

3. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I'm not against the helmet in concept, but the execution has been awful. There's just no way that faux-hawk works. If they turn the helmet into more of a facemask like it was with Mar-Vell, then it wouldn't turn her hair into a faux-hawk, and she could still look badass.

For reference:
    [​IMG]

I think Dexter Soy came closest to this with the way he drew her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...but he still had it coming up just a little too high, imo. If they did it like this but not coming up quite so high around her head, I think it could look good.

4. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

I agree, Dexter Soy drew Carol the best.

5. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

I agree.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

Nice :yay: I can't wait to see what image Marvel selects for Carol.

7. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

This is about the only time I've seen that helmet look good. The more mohawkerly depictions are pretty awful. I know they're going for the Kree helmet fin look (I assume) but it just doesn't work. This looks more like how Star Lord's mask works.

8. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

It may be unrealistic, but I hope they don't use a mask at all. They've got plenty of leeway to do whatever they want.

9. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

They are probably not going to want to use the mask. Almost every CBM ever tries to get the lead actor out from the mask as much as possible.

10. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

I think that they'll use the mask (Cap still has his mask, IM has his helmet, Starlord has his mask, BP apparently has his cowl to, etc). They just won't use it a lot (see the above comment). The explanation for it in the comics is that it allows helps her breathe in space. And while I'd be perfectly fine with Carol being able to breathe in space on her own, I could see Marvel going with the "she needs the mask" thing in the films as well.

11. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

If they do use it, it will probably be on a rather limited basis. Such as in space, like you say. Iron Man is a bit unique in that they show his face while behind the mask, but Cap, Star Lord, etc. are far more frequently seen without their masks than with them.

12. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

I agree. I imagine that it would be kind of like Starlord's mask, where he can just press a button and it kind of, idk, dematerializes. He seems to only wear his to breathe in "hostile environments" as well.

13. flickchick85

Oh yeah, I mean, even in the comics, she's very commonly in uniform without the mask. I'm straight-up assuming it would only be used in spaceflight-esque situations.

14. LoveWaffle

LoveWaffle Registered

Who do I want to see as Carol?

It has to be Emily Blunt. She played "soldier who gets alien superpowers on eve of alien invasion" pretty well in Edge of Tomorrow.

15. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Registered

Yeah, I love the idea of Emily Blunt.

I've also heard Bryce Dallas Howard is interested. I'd be down with that, though I'd rather she played a redhead superheroine like Mera.

16. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Gerard Butler could play this role in his sleep. He could probably use the paycheck too (I heard he owes massive student loans)

17. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Posted this in the Spider-Man board:

The reason why I don't think it'll be Charlize is because I think she's just a BIT too old for Carol. Although some may argue that Marvel casts their male leads older, most of their roles are CGI heavy and don't require much physicality for their respective parts, while Carol is more comparable to Cap, Thor, BP, Starlord who all require much more physical action, that's why I think Marvel will cast someone around Evan's age (31-37).

Still hoping for Emily Blunt or Katheryn Winnick.

18. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I voted for Blunt, but think this line of talk regarding Charlize is just silly. The idea that she couldn't handle this role because of her age is, IMO, absolute poppycock. She did just fine in Mad Max. Believe me, there are PLENTY of actors and actresses in their 40s or 50s who could handle the physical nature of the role. Someone in their 50s "might" look too old for the role of someone in their early to mid 30s, but it ain't necessarily so. There are people who look very young for their age and they have these people who use this stuff called make up too. In my opinion they shouldn't have cast Jamie Bell for the Thing in the new FF movie because he doesn't have enough rocks on his body to pull it off. They need someone who is rockier.

EDIT: Nothing personal. I just don't see it. I should probably dial back on the sarcasm. It doesn't really help anything.

#18 InCali, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  19. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I tend to think it won't be Theron, for the more prosaic reason of "She'd probably be too expensive".

20. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

That's my thought as well.

21. LoveWaffle

LoveWaffle Registered

Katheryn Winnick is too good with fight work for those talents to be squandered on Carol. Maybe it's because of her role on Vikings, but she'd be great as Valkyrie.

Charlize Theron shouldn't be Carol Danvers because she would make for a perfect Enchantress.

22. flickchick85

I agree, Vikings is 100% why I think this, so it's super unimaginative, but whatever - Katheryn Winnick seems like a much better fit for Valkyrie than Carol to me.

23. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

If Tom Cruise is still doing action movies in his 50's, and Sly Stallone in his 70's, then I don't want to hear it about Charlize being "too old." Plus, they just cast Chadwick Bosemen to play BP (another really physical role/that doesn't have overt superpowers to boot) and he's only like a year younger than her, if that.

24. Snow Queen

Yeah, for comparison: Hemsworth - 31, Pratt - 35, Evans - 34, RDJ - 50, Boseman - 38, Cumberbatch - 38, Johansson - 30, Olsen - 26, Bettany - 44, Cheadle - 50. If Boseman, Cumberbatch and Bettany can be in here, I see no reason why Charlize is too old.

#25 Snow Queen, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.