Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Can't they just flaunt their phased plasma rifles?

"If you humans don't behave we'll vaporize you?"

We don't know what their motives are. It could be...

gortklaatumessage.jpg

rather than...

id4whitehouse.jpg

And if they have visited in the past, the first is far more likely.

Its so hard for people to make arguments against extra terrestrial life. More so than people who believe in it solely on the fact of sheer numbers. The number of stars/galaxies/solar systems/etc.

Its also hard for people to argue that aliens couldn't find Earth. We perceive technology only around what we as a species have figured out. A species like us but have been around for thousands....millions...billions of years could of cracked physiological/biological/inter stellar science and math that we just could never possibly understand.

I kind of can't help but giggle at the people who say "well the universe is just TOO BIG! How could they possibly find us in all of these stars". These people need to suspend some disbelief for a moment and realize that there may be technologies out there where they have galactic maps that can detect life forms on an interstellar level.

I hate to use this as an example but since we are all truly just Comic Nerds here it could very well be like Professor X's Cerebro. An entity to tap in on a galactic scale and detect life forms on distant planets in far off galaxies.

Just something to think about :)

I hate to use this as an example but since we are all truly just Comic Nerds here it could very well be like Professor X's Cerebro. An entity to tap in on a galactic scale and detect life forms on distant planets in far off galaxies.

:applaud

That is seriously the coolest invention I've heard of in a while.

But that won't persuade me about anything.
If it doesn't persuade you that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects, then you don't understand it in the first place.

Ok now that we clarified this, what's your point? Should I be ashamed for that? Or get arrested because It's not "working" in any real sense of the word?
No. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. That's all.

If it doesn't persuade you that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects, then you don't understand it in the first place.

No. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. That's all.

Uh, it's not that I don't accept that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects nor I dismiss it. It's just that this theory doesn't necessarily mean is related to the 6" body that was found. Maybe it is something else.
"Ridiculous..." Yeah right.:whatever:

Uh, it's not that I don't accept that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects nor I dismiss it. It's just that this theory doesn't necessarily mean is related to the 6" body that was found. Maybe it is something else.
You said:

Alex_Spider said:
But still I just don't buy the mutation thing. I mean come on look at it's head, the eyes and lips. And what kind of mutation would produce such a human?
This is what I'm addressing: your incredulity that potentially small mutations could lead to enormously exaggerated/altered phenotypes.

Also, "I just don't buy the mutation thing," sure sounds like a dismissal to me.

Alex_Spider said:
"Ridiculous..." Yeah right.:whatever:
An excellent rebuttal.

You said:

This is what I'm addressing: your incredulity that potentially small mutations could lead to enormously exaggerated/altered phenotypes.

Also, "I just don't buy the mutation thing," sure sounds like a dismissal to me.

An excellent rebuttal.

Um, yeah I told that because I wasn't aware of the wiki link you provided me. But still I won't accept that those to cases are related 100%. Maybe it is, maybe not.
An excellent rebuttal indeed. Just like the "ridiculous" one you called my postings a while ago.

Last edited:
Um, yeah I told that because I wasn't aware of the wiki link you provided me. But still I won't accept that those to cases are related 100%. Maybe it is, maybe not.
What wiki link?

Alex_Spider said:
An excellent rebuttal indeed. Just like the "ridiculous" one you called my postings a while ago.
That wasn't a rebuttal.

Are UFOs ever seen in any country outside of the US?

Of course. Hell, arguably some of the "best" cases have occurred outside the United States, because the governments of those countries are a lot more open about them.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/warp-drive-plausible/

Personally, I don't think it's possible for there NOT to be intelligent alien life in the universe besides humans. I am religious, so I think God not allowing any other creatures would be the only way there aren't others.

I see it as arrogant to assume we're the only ones. The universe is just too damn big. People say that a lot, but that's just because it can't be said enough. It is BIG.

Carbon and silicon are the two easiest elements to create life out of, so I expect we'll eventually find both.

Another point: while I believe it possible that aliens have been spotted in the past century, I have difficulty imagining how we'd be able to see them, unless they didnt care. If you are warp-capable, you should be able to hide from radar and naked eye if you wish.

I also think that if aliens came to our planet, they'd be scientists or diplomats. I can't think of a real tangible reason for an invasion. Anything you could possibly want is in the asteroid belt or uninhibited planets, a lot of the time a single asteroid holds more precious metals than Earth. If they needed more living space, they'd still have to work hard to terraform our planet (so why wouldn't they just do it to an uninhibited one?) even if they DID just happen to breathe the exact same amount of oxygen we do.

My dream is to have an non-human, but still intelligent, friend. Whether it's an uplifted dog or an alien (ideally, both).

What I have found rather curious is how few reports there have been of hostile action by UFO's. You would think if so many people were just making this stuff up, that there would be stories of people coming under attack. Yet, that's almost unheard of.

Even in the cases where human fighters have engaged UFO's, they just take evasive action, before leaving the combat zone.

I think they would have a "Prime Directive" of some sort. It'd be like the Wright brothers' first plane vs. a modern day fighter jet. No contest. Laughable, even. The aliens needn't worry or fight back at all.

Most people probably didn't hear about it, but they recently had (maybe they're still having it?) a sort of "hearing" on UFO's (the supposedly extraterrestrial kind). The group who sponsored it, even paid former congressmen and senators 20,000 bucks a piece to show up. Waste of good money if you ask me. But presumably they were thinking that it would make the news cover them. I guess it sort of worked.

So, an acquaintance brought it up, and I asked him what he thought. And he laughed. Though I'm certain that he believes somethings I would deem crazy.

But why is the subject treated so dismissively? There's certainly no lack of credible witnesses. Thousands of police officers, military personnel, pilots, public servants, etc. There's even radar data.

Given what people do believe (without any evidence), it just seems odd that they're so dismissive.

No one dismisses the notion that UFOs exist. There is hard, documented evidence that UFOs exist. But since Unidentified Flying Objects are, by definition, unidentified, what people dismiss is the notion that they are extra-terrestrial spacecraft. And it's not so much that they dismiss it as it is there's no evidence for it, so there's no reason to jump to that conclusion.

"Alien can blend right on in with your kin/
look again cuz I swear I spot one every now and then" --Outkast

^^all the evidence I need :o

Carbon and silicon are the two easiest elements to create life out of, so I expect we'll eventually find both.
There are some problems with the idea of Silicon-based lifeforms. It's not impossible, but they would probably form under a much, much narrower set of conditions than would Carbon-based lifeforms.

Oh yeah, I should have specified. Carbon is easier (more places for atoms to fit together or something) but there are still cycles (breathing or exhaling methane) that allow silicon.

No one dismisses the notion that UFOs exist. There is hard, documented evidence that UFOs exist. But since Unidentified Flying Objects are, by definition, unidentified, what people dismiss is the notion that they are extra-terrestrial spacecraft. And it's not so much that they dismiss it as it is there's no evidence for it, so there's no reason to jump to that conclusion.

It's the summer of 1947, multiple trained observers at state-of-the-art military facilities around the country observe disc-shaped craft moving in ways that no jet in existence can (the sound barrier will not be broken for another few months). It's not Soviet. It's not American. What is it?

There's a reason they "jumped" to that conclusion.

If you want to put your fingers in your ears and ignore the evidence, that's your prerogative. But don't say there is no evidence for it.

Last edited:
It's the summer of 1947, multiple trained observers at state-of-the-art military facilities around the country observe disc-shaped craft moving in ways that no jet in existence can (the sound barrier will not be broken for another few months). It's not Soviet. It's not American. What is it?

No idea.

There's a reason they "jumped" to that conclusion.

If you want to put your fingers in your ears and ignore the evidence, that's your prerogative. But don't say there is no evidence for it.

But there is no evidence. All the evidence there is suggests that there was a thing flying through the sky very fast and know one knows what it is or where it came from. That's it. That doesn't mean aliens.

No idea.

But there is no evidence. All the evidence there is suggests that there was a thing flying through the sky very fast and know one knows what it is or where it came from. That's it. That doesn't mean aliens.

I take issue with the notion that unidentified means misidentified. True, a lot of UFO's have been Venus, or balloons. I'd even argue between 95-99%. But there are cases where there simply is no conventional explanation.

So if no humans built these crafts, then who did?

I take issue with the notion that unidentified means misidentified. True, a lot of UFO's have been Venus, or balloons. I'd even argue between 95-99%. But there are cases where there simply is no conventional explanation.

So if no humans built these crafts, then who did?

No one knows. That's my point. Lack of an explanation doesn't mean aliens. All it means is that there is no explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"