Why Thor or Superman cannot beat Sentry.

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by MajinShenron, May 14, 2006.

1. bkhedr Man of Mayhem

That was waaay back in the day though wasnt it? (I have the maximum security reprint of that issue) How do you know that it was that Galactus that Sentry stalemated?

I'm just asking if its a guess or if it says so anywhere

2. Purple Man Registered

I don't think there is anyone that can stand up to a god blast.
    And here is two reasons why.

1. It has been the only thing ever to stop the Juggernaut.

2. It cracked a Celestials armor.

No one else has ever had the power to perform such feats.

God blast aside though Sentry would annihilate Thor.

3. herakles Registered

I have that the same issue and your right he was weakened by fighting Ego BUT Thor did injured him as well as Beta Ray Bill has recently. So IMO Thor can and did defeat Galactus.

I've always felt that Galactus was only a threat to planets and spaceships with his technology. Also aside from Galactus creating Haralds that do his fighting for him. My point is that from what I've read when Galactus is involved other people fight for him. But hey what do I know.

4. Red King Littlefinger

When Hulk was horseman to apocalypse he he stopped Juggernaunt.

5. BAH HUMBBUG! There's an invisible man

I still think the Destroyer could :up: And strange.

6. Purple Man Registered

He didn't so much as stop the Juggernaut as tie up his leg and throw him.

That was a commendable feat, but Thor stopped his forward charge and actually pushed him backwards.

And is it just me, or was the whole Superman vs Venom thing completely ridiculous? Supes could have easily melted the symbiote off of brock.

7. BAH HUMBBUG! There's an invisible man

If he knew that fire was a weakness and that it wouldn't kill him. Remember Superman is a boyscout and always holds back. But yes it was/is ridiculous. But so are most matchups.

8. bkhedr Man of Mayhem

That's what we've been saying for five pages :up:

and I think the Destroyer might be able to crack a Celestial

and I'm not so sure that Sentry would annihilate Thor

9. Tropico Crusty, ol' curmudgeon.

[​IMG]

10. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

The Destroyer was created to fight Celestials one-on-one, but it failed miserably. Outside of Celestials, though, the Destroyer is pretty much an unstoppable powerhouse. Thor's never actually been able to defeat it in a fair fight and, to my knowledge, neither has anyone besides the Celestials (who are even more powerful than Galactus, so it's nothing to be ashamed of). I'd love to see a throwdown between the Destroyer and the Juggernaut at his classic power level. I think he, King Thor, and War Hulk are probably the only ones who stand a halfway decent shot at physically defeating the Destroyer one-on-one.

As for Galactus himself, measuring anyone's power against his own is troublesome for a number of reasons. How hungry he is plays a huge role in how powerful he is. As I mentioned, he was hungry when he was fighting Ego and Thor chased him away. If Galactus had just fed and decided to come to Earth, I doubt there's anything anyone other than Reed Richards with like 4 Ultimate Nullifiers could do to stop him. Also, consider the fact that Galactus empowered the Silver Surfer with a portion of his own power. A tiny, tiny fraction, in fact. The Surfer's a match for Thor all by himself. Do the math. Thor's "win" over Galactus with the god blast is circumstantial at best, and I don't really consider it a win. I love Thor but there are limits to his standard power beyond which he just becomes absurd.

I suspect the Sentry's stalemate with Galactus was pretty circumstantial as well, but we'll probably never know. It was never even shown, it was just mentioned in passing in the original Sentry mini. I'd take it with a grain of salt. He's powerful but there's nothing that I've seen to say that he'd really be more powerful by leaps and bounds than any of the other heavy-hitters like Thor or the Silver Surfer in his current incarnation.

11. Horrorfan Registered

I didn't say Venom WAS superior to superman... I said superman is more powerful, and more likely would beat him 99% of the time. However, in THAT particular fight, Venom won. I NEVER said Venom was superior; I DID, however, say Venom won that particular fight. I hate superman and all uber powerful dc main characters on principle that they all seem so boring and flawless and super perfect and can move planets with fair amount of ease, but even I can't say Venom would beat him most of the time.

As for the guy complaining about lobo and x fans....well the fact the x men aren't dc characters automatically puts them above lobo, ww, and the rest imo, and I would have voted just to piss off the whiners who complain about it if I could have.

12. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Superman hasn't been able to move planets for at least 20 years. I agree that it makes sense that not every powerful hero wins every fight against a weaker opponent. What I don't agree with is that in the specific Venom/Supes fight shown, there's no logic given for why that fight would ever work. Venom just shows up and starts beating on Superman like Superman's a child. At least when they had Spider-Man fight Superman they came up with a somewhat plausible explanation for how it'd work despite the power gap--red sun radiation. Spider-Man was saturated with it and it basically bypasses Superman's powers since Kryptonians are no different from humans under a red sun. In that Venom fight Venom kicked Superman around because... why? It made no sense when you compare their respective powers and in-canon feats.

13. Horrorfan Registered

Dude has pretty much beaten (or at least stalemated) pretty much ALL the marvel heroes as the Void, and broken Hulk's bones with almost NO effort. Thor could barely take on Hulk and win, nevermind break all his bones without even trying.

14. Horrorfan Registered

If Venom showed up from nowhere, supes wouldnt know his power levels, and would probably take him super lightly, and thus be taken by surprise. Like you said about Thor and Superman, you can only take someone by surprise once.

15. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

If Superman didn't know how fast a 9mm bullet was moving, would that have any bearing on the fact that it wouldn't penetrate his skin? No because Superman is literally invincible to bullets. You could shoot him right in the eyeball and he wouldn't flinch. Who cares if he doesn't know Venom's power level? Look at their respective powers and feats. Superman taking Thor by surprise is one thing, and it's kind of believable (though the fight presented showed Thor fighting at a fraction of his full power) because Superman and Thor are close in power level. Venom is literally nowhere near powerful enough to manhandle Supes the way he does in that comic. It makes no sense no matter how you look at it, unless you just throw everything about either character out the window and rewrite their powers.
    Robert Reynolds was both the Sentry and the Void. Robert Reynolds has become only the Void while splitting the Sentry off into another body as of his last mini-series. We don't know what his power level is like after that particular change. Plus, the Void is always more powerful than the Sentry. That's why the Sentry didn't just fight the Void at the end of his first mini; he chose to make the world forget about him to depower the Void because he knew he could never win against him. Plus plus, the Sentry's power level is tied to his emotions. That means they fluctuate regularly. So, in other words, we have literally no clue what the Sentry's power level is like now except that the events of the past have little bearing on it because, for all intents and purposes, he's been given a fresh start as of the end of his last mini. What we do know is that his recent feats aren't all that impressive. Impressive, yes, but certainly not Galactus-busting impressive. He could barely hold his own against the Thunderbolts' Photon, for example. He couldn't really handle the fiery mutant power guy in New Avengers, either. Going by the totality of comic appearances and circumstances, which you champion so highly, he clearly seems to be less powerful than his Galactus stalemating days now.

16. Anubis Sup?

Well, to be fair, that dude had the powers of all the mutants that lost they're powers during HoM. Not Galactis powerful, but most certainly up there.

17. Horrorfan Registered

I haven't read the last one, I was waiting for it to be collected :( :( :(

18. Horrorfan Registered

About Venom and Supes, hey I didn't write it.

Why would Sentry's power level change anyway now they have split off? Reynolds didn't seem to have the power, Sentry was always from the potion...so I have no clue why it wouldn't affect things.

19. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Why would the Sentry's power level stay the same? Up until then he and the Void had shared a body. Now they're in two separate bodies. Maybe just under half the power went to the Sentry body and just over half of it stayed with the Void body. It's speculation, but a general weakening is confirmed by the Sentry's recent appearances. The only part I'm speculating about is how he got that way.

20. Horrorfan Registered

As you might say, his powers fluctuating is a result of 'bad writing', maybe? :D

But yeah, Sentry is NOT really the void, and void isn't Sentry.....so I'm not sure how one would effect the other's powers. I'm pretty much guessing they are more or less equally powerful, maybe void is slightly more, but since they are pretty much the ying to each others yang, I'm guessing they have the same balance of power.

21. Badfish40oz Registered

Sorry if I'm late, but I just wanted to add something to the whole crossover "canon" debate.

I'm assuming JLA/Avengers is considered canon because it was referenced in an actual DC book (and because Superman beat Thor . . I bet if it was the other way around DC fans would be saying it didn't count). The "egg" Krona was trapped in is shown in a JLA book.

The same can be said for the Marvel/DC books of the mid-90's. Access, the dumb-looking guy who keeps the universes seperated, appeared in the Green Lantern #87 and even made reference to the Silver Surfer. If that's not DC calling the DC/Marvel thing "canon," I don't know what is.

And if you want to get crazy, you could use the JLA/Avengers logic with the Superman/Venom fight. Maybe the symbiote is just super-powerful in the DC world?

God I am such a dork right now . .

22. herakles Registered

Thor fights honorably so when he fights Hulk he uses either Mjolnir minus it magic or his fists. I don't remember (just off the top of my head) Thor using the God Blast on anyone other than the Celestials, Galactus, and Juggernaut, but I could be wrong. Also Thor hardly uses his Belt of Strength that doubles his considerable Strength. Also in the King Thor arch Thor took on Thing, Hulk, Woverine, and Captain America KILLING ALL 4.

With that said we ALL need to be subjective when it comes to gauging Character's powers because usually characters are made as powerful or as weak to suit to what the writter of the comic that character is appearing in wants. So that is why Vemon got the upper hand on Superman. When looking at the careers of both characters Superman would win 99.99999% of the time. Also with Thor coming back don't be too surprise if he fights with the a character with the power level of Sentry, Hulk, Juggernaut, Silver Surfer, and Beta Ray Bill he wins just to give him a boost?

23. Horrorfan Registered

Thank you, someone understands what I'm trying to say :up:

24. herakles Registered

I uderstand BUT if I was writting Thor and I had him fighting Sentry or Superman I'd have Thor use his Belt of Strength along with his armour which is as durable as Mjolnir.

Or I could be a real cheatting bastard and take page from Simonson and have Thor take possession of the Destroyer who has unlimited Strength along with other devasting powers coupled with Mjolnir's powers either way I think the outcome be in favor of Thor.

What I am trying to say is that Thor is much more versatile in regards to his powers and capabilities and he has been written with a warrrior's honor (or just plain honor) that he has a tendancy to fight at the power level or fighting level of his opponant. That is why you see Thor getting ugly in his battles with Galactus, the Celestials, Hela and the Midgard Serpent.

25. Whirlysplat Registered

So much drivel in one thread.......... Amazing.

Moving on.....

It's also referenced in the Avengers hand book, don't put yourself down.

- Whirly