Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, that's exactly how I think it would be. She is just a ridiculous choice for anything but a stunt double.
Why is it only with Wonder Woman/female characters that people suggest models/mma fighters who aren't really actors but the male superheroes, everyone pretty much mentions well established actors.
There is no point in taking that risk with casting Carano who frankly, I don't see why everyone is so hung up on her.
This character deserves a well established actress. Just like every other comic character. Batman, GL, Superman etc

I just don't agree with you, that that's all she is and all she would bring and that she is just an MMA fighter.

But, like I said, I don't want to have the same casting arguments anymore. You can justify your choices all you want but if you come to the conclusion that it should be Blunt or Arterton, then I just can't get excited about those choices either.

I'm actually over all this casting talk. I am a WW fan, I read the comics. I am more concerned with them getting a WW movie off the ground, if that will even happen. When that happens and casting talk begins, or if it does with a JL movie, then I will see who the candidates are (whether it's the candidates we are talking about now, or new people come along) and will start to feel that this casting talk has any point.

I'm not coming to the conclusion that ANY specific actress should be WW.Not Blunt, not Arterton.... no body. Those are just two of the choices I think would be suitable. Much more suitable than Carano. I have see absolutely nothing that would even make people think she is a good candidate for this role. Maybe to people who don't understand the character.
Actresses learn how to fight and their profession is to ACT. Carano has been in what? One movie? Doesn't necessarily make her an actress and it definitely doesn't make her suitable for such an important, big role like this. There are wrestlers who have been in more movies than her, I don't see them being suggested for comic roles, because people wouldn't dare suggest a wrestler for a male comic character. I don't think it should be any different with WW or any female role.

I'm obviously a huge WW fan myself. This character means so much to me like you wouldn't believe. Her and Buffy. WW is so much more than just a comic character to me. She is a role model and a feminist icon. I'm big into all that stuff(discussions about women's rights, gender and sexuality etc. Which is someone WW represents.)
So forgive me but, yes, I will go against anyone thinking an MMA fighter would be a good choice.

I'm not coming to the conclusion that ANY specific actress should be WW.Not Blunt, not Arterton.... no body. Those are just two of the choices I think would be suitable. Much more suitable than Carano. I have see absolutely nothing that would even make people think she is a good candidate for this role. Maybe to people who don't understand the character.
Actresses learn how to fight and their profession is to ACT. Carano has been in what? One movie? Doesn't necessarily make her an actress and it definitely doesn't make her suitable for such an important, big role like this. There are wrestlers who have been in more movies than her, I don't see them being suggested for comic roles, because people wouldn't dare suggest a wrestler for a male comic character. I don't think it should be any different with WW or any female role.

I'm obviously a huge WW fan myself. This character means so much to me like you wouldn't believe. Her and Buffy. WW is so much more than just a comic character to me. She is a role model and a feminist icon. I'm big into all that stuff(discussions about women's rights, gender and sexuality etc. Which is someone WW represents.)
So forgive me but, yes, I will go against anyone thinking an MMA fighter would be a good choice.

And I can say that you picking Arterton that maybe you don't understand the character.

No one said Arterton is perfect but she's way better than Carano. She's a capable actress who seems pretty confident, good screen presence and yeah, she can do the action part as well. But she isn't even a choice I stand by all that much so I don't really care.
I just wrote a wordy message explaining the character. Maybe I'm not an expert but I clearly understand the character. A character I've followed for years.
Don't tell me what I do and don't know, thank you. :)

No one said Arterton is perfect but she's way better than Carano. She's a capable actress who seems pretty confident, good screen presence and yeah, she can do the action part as well. But she isn't even a choice I stand by all that much so I don't really care.
Don't tell me what I do and don't know, thank you. :)

You're the one using that type of language when someone doesn't agree with your choice. So, heed your own advice.

I'm not using any language. And like I said, Arterton isnt really ''my choice'', just a possible candidate I think could be good. There is no one actress I think is perfect for the role. The closest to that is Blunt. This discussion is really more than just Carano as WW anyway. It is more about the character in general and how she should be represented.

I'm not telling anyone to F off or anything, but yes this is a character I am extremely passionate about and I won't apologize for that.

I'm not using any language. And like I said, Arterton isnt really ''my choice'', just a possible candidate I think could be good. There is no one actress I think is perfect for the role. The closest to that is Blunt. This discussion is really more than just Carano as WW anyway. It is more about the character in general and how she should be represented.

I'm not telling anyone to F off or anything, but yes this is a character I am extremely passionate about and I won't apologize for that.

The language I'm talking about is the "Maybe they don't understand the character" that you used, so I said the same thing to you. You can use all the flowery language and broad generalisations about WW to justify your choice, but all it reallly is is your personal preference.

I'm just speaking from experience. There are a lot of people who do just see her as all brawn, angry fighting lady. I've see this happen all too often and yeah, it does bother me. I'm not saying EVERYONE thinks this way, because that is not true, but I have come in contact with people who do. Almost like they are discrediting the character as one dimensional. Which she is not.

I'm just speaking from experience. There are a lot of people who do just see her as all brawn, angry fighting lady. I've see this happen all too often and yeah, it does bother me. I'm not saying EVERYONE thinks this way, because that is not true, but I have come in contact with people who do. Almost like they are discrediting the character as one dimensional. Which she is not.

She is a complex character, and there have definitely been difficulties getting an agreement on who she is, whether in the comics or TV/movies.

She has to compete with male action stars as well as have that other side of her. And of course young male audiences will have their off the cuff responses to casting a female action hero.

I don't know...wake me when there is actually a WW in movies to discuss.

That I agree with. It's why I have a problem with Carano. Because it just seems she represents only one side of the character.(And okay, I don't think she is all that pretty but that is besides the point.)

I do hope we get a WW movie/tv show sometime soon. Correction, a GOOD movie/tv show.

That I agree with. It's why I have a problem with Carano. Because it just seems she represents only one side of the character.(And okay, I don't think she is all that pretty but that is besides the point.)

I do hope we get a WW movie/tv show sometime soon. Correction, a GOOD movie/tv show.

Hey that's sexist! (Joke)

Arterton is an established actress. Not a great one, but established. Carano is nothing, less than nothing because her only significant role in a film was completely dubbed over. The fact is that a WW movie with her in lead role wouldnt get off the ground in the first place. It will never happen. Period. Full stop.

Stick to accomplished actresses, even if their accomplishments include dinner theater. "rasslers" and face punchers arent even in the conversation. plenty of roles for henchmen if you really need to see your "heroes" on the screen.

Not to be picky but she wasnt dubbed over, they digitally altered her voice; but I get what you're saying.

Arterton is an established actress. Not a great one, but established. Carano is nothing, less than nothing because her only significant role in a film was completely dubbed over. The fact is that a WW movie with her in lead role wouldnt get off the ground in the first place. It will never happen. Period. Full stop.

Stick to accomplished actresses, even if their accomplishments include dinner theater. "rasslers" and face punchers arent even in the conversation. plenty of roles for henchmen if you really need to see your "heroes" on the screen.

Disagree.

I hardly think someone like Arterton would do anymore to get WW off the ground. Even if an unknown were to be cast, the movie would rely on its brand name, other names in the cast, director etc. Carano is relatively unknown but she has just been in Furious 6. So this summer has only further established her as a name.

Last edited:
I still don't think you can compare Arterton who has been in many movies to Carano who has been in just a few.(And though I havent seen Furious 6, I doubt her role is very significant.)
I do agree the supporting cast should be some ''known'' actors as well.

This is why I like Blunt the best. Not only does she have a look that can work well for the character, she's a well established actress in her own right, yet isn't super well known as someone like Angelina Jolie or something. She very much is like Bale. An established actor known in the industry, but still not exactly a household name.

I still don't think you can compare Arterton who has been in many movies to Carano who has been in just a few.(And though I havent seen Furious 6, I doubt her role is very significant.)
I do agree the supporting cast should be some ''known'' actors as well.

This is why I like Blunt the best. Not only does she have a look that can work well for the character, she's a well established actress in her own right, yet isn't super well known as someone like Angelina Jolie or something. She very much is like Bale. An established actor known in the industry, but still not exactly a household name.

Her role in Furious 6 is significant, her fights with Michelle Rodriguez are a main talking point from that movie. Point is, she starred in a huge ensemble movie this summer that was a huge success.

I don't doubt that Carano would be in the conversation if a JL or WW movie gets going in the next few years.

I also think that if she was more your style, or her look was more your preference, then all the negatives used against her now would be reversed- that she is a relative unknown, has a couple of movies under her belt, and has fighting experience...They would be used as positives instead of the negatives they are used for now.

Also, let's just say, they found an unknown without much acting experience, but who, to you, looked exactly like Wonder Woman, wouldn't you want to go with her?

Ultimately, though, it's about getting WW right. I don't know with absolute certainty if they can with any of the actresses mentioned, to be honest. And I am curious as to how they would cast the TV show.

There have been those kinds of theories flying around: that the Kryptonian "growth codex" Kara brought with her created the Amazons, as well as the Atlanteans, thousands of years ago...

It's hard to see that happening. I think if Kara is included in any sequels it will be explained by something like her being buried in ice and she could survive because of her enhanced strength.

btw here is another new interview of Grant Morrison talking about "Wonder Woman: Earth One" -

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/book...el-grant-morrison-takes-on-the-feminist-icon/

86k7.jpg
i was thinking about this yesterday and how those kryptonians could be similar to the annunaki myth or the ancient astronaut theory; and the ancient heroes of the classical era like hercules.

ЯɘvlveR;26227997 said:
i was thinking about this yesterday and how those kryptonians could be similar to the annunaki myth or the ancient astronaut theory; and the ancient heroes of the classical era like hercules.

Goyer did make a point in Man of Steel interviews that he envisioned the Kryptonians worshipped as gods by ancient tribes. So in the prequel comic he wrote for Man of Steel
he did include that as part of the story, with the Inuit tribe witnessing the scout ship crashing thousands of years ago and depicting that event as a painting on the wall of their hut.

As for how much he will include all that for either a MOS sequel or if he ties it in to the other DC heroes, we'll have to see.

Her role in Furious 6 is significant, her fights with Michelle Rodriguez are a main talking point from that movie. Point is, she starred in a huge ensemble movie this summer that was a huge success.

I don't doubt that Carano would be in the conversation if a JL or WW movie gets going in the next few years.

I also think that if she was more your style, or her look was more your preference, then all the negatives used against her now would be reversed- that she is a relative unknown, has a couple of movies under her belt, and has fighting experience...They would be used as positives instead of the negatives they are used for now.

Also, let's just say, they found an unknown without much acting experience, but who, to you, looked exactly like Wonder Woman, wouldn't you want to go with her?

Ultimately, though, it's about getting WW right. I don't know with absolute certainty if they can with any of the actresses mentioned, to be honest. And I am curious as to how they would cast the TV show.
Heck no. I'm not one of those people. There are A LOT of models who have an almost perfect look for Wonder Woman. I would not want them anywhere near a movie.
I'm fine with an unknown actress, as long as she can... y'know... act. If the studio thinks she's capable, then that would be great. But no, I dont care if she looked like a Terry Dodson drawing, if she is a bad actress, she is a bad actress.
But this is my point, why are things like this brought up for female characters and not male ones?
And like I said, to me, I dont think they should go and cast any of the actresses mentioned right of the bat, but it is still fan speculation, so with that, I'd go with the choice for Emily Blunt.

Heck no. I'm not one of those people. There are A LOT of models who have an almost perfect look for Wonder Woman. I would not want them anywhere near a movie.
I'm fine with an unknown actress, as long as she can... y'know... act. If the studio thinks she's capable, then that would be great. But no, I dont care if she looked like a Terry Dodson drawing, if she is a bad actress, she is a bad actress.
But this is my point, why are things like this brought up for female characters and not male ones?

I am not saying a model who has never acted. I am talking about someone who hasn't established a name. I would still want her to have some acting experience/ability. An up and comer. Lynda Carter hadn't had much acting experience when she was cast as WW. That level.

In terms of finding an "unknown", this has been the case for male superheroes as well. When they were looking for Superman in Donner's version they even auditioned someone's dentist.

Your logic is very one sided and kind of hypocritical. First, what promotion were you watching that Furious 6 had the girlfight as a main selling point? I only really saw The Rock and the main cast from the previous movies.

Second personal taste is always a large part of casting choices. The same can be said about your dislike of Blunt. However, wanting a well established actress is not only assurance the film will be made but also that they will most likely do well in it. Carono just seems like body to do action. Why not just hire a career stunt double if thats the case. to me it's more crazy than Megan Fox being cast: at least she is an actress with action backround.

I do agree that a TV show would be interesting to cast though.

I am not saying a model who has never acted. I am talking about someone who hasn't established a name. I would still want her to have some acting experience/ability. An up and comer. Lynda Carter hadn't had much acting experience when she was cast as WW. That level.

In terms of finding an "unknown", this has been the case for male superheroes as well. When they were looking for Superman in Donner's version they even auditioned someone's dentist.
Ah, Okay. Well then, maybe. If she impresses the casting directors enough, then maybe. But I'm sure it would be a Cavill situation. Not widely known, but proven enough.

Well I'm talking about the present movies, I could care less about the Donner Superman movies or the 70's Tv show at this point, haha.

But yeah, if that is the reality, it is something I can live with. Really, Id have to live with any person they cast. But in terms of fan speculation, I like to think of actresses Im already familiar with.

Last edited:
Goyer did make a point in Man of Steel interviews that he envisioned the Kryptonians worshipped as gods by ancient tribes. So in the prequel comic he wrote for Man of Steel
he did include that as part of the story, with the Inuit tribe witnessing the scout ship crashing thousands of years ago and depicting that event as a painting on the wall of their hut.

As for how much he will include all that for either a MOS sequel or if he ties it in to the other DC heroes, we'll have to see.
oh that sounds cool. i need to check that out.

First, what promotion were you watching that Furious 6 had the girlfight as a main selling point? I only really saw The Rock and the main cast from the previous movies.

There were quite a few articles, such as in the Huffington Post, where the fight between Carano and Rodriguez was featured. There were a lot of reviews, interviews and crowd reactions where this fight was highlighted.

Second personal taste is always a large part of casting choices. The same can be said about your dislike of Blunt. However, wanting a well established actress is not only assurance the film will be made but also that they will most likely do well in it. Carono just seems like body to do action. Why not just hire a career stunt double if thats the case. to me it's more crazy than Megan Fox being cast: at least she is an actress with action backround.

This sounds kind of one-sided and hypocritical.

Well I'm talking about the present movies, I could care less about the Donner Superman movies or the 70's Tv show at this point, haha.

Whether you care or not that has been the situation with casting Superman and Wonder Woman.

But in terms of fan speculation, I like to think of actresses Im already familiar with.

And that is what narrows these conversations down to the same old fan casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"