Wonder Woman Thread Reborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post all WW discussion here, actresses, storyline, supporting cast, villains, and general chat here.

Everyone should stop freaking out about this. All NBC has done is order a pilot. They haven't given the series a green light. All it means is that Kelley gets to make his pilot episode and screen it for WB/NBC/DC Entertainment executives. And if Geoff Johns is doing his job, he'll do everything in his power to kill it if the pilot turns out to be garbage.

Lots of pilots never get a series pickup order for lots of reasons, so this is not a done deal.

True, very true. Remember Mercy Reef? The pilot was a POS and that show died in the screening room. If it sucks, it will probably just end up on the internet like with MR. I don't really believe NBC's standards are high enough to turn anything down these days, but if WB and DC hate it chances are they will pull the plug.

Why part 1? Isn't it part 2, already?
Anyway...any chance to reassamble a new poll here?!
Other than that...i wonder how long it'll take to Regan's Fan to overflow this thread with her pictures, again.

Bit odd that we have the same poll on this thread as in the last one but ok.

Wasn't Clark a news reporter at one point?

Yeah, which is why in Superman shows, he's Clark Kent the reporter. Not Kalvin Clark the lawyer, who at best might be Superman long after abandoning his Clark Kent identity, as if that's supposed to be acceptable. Again, you would never see a Superman or Batman show that starts with the premise of turning the character into something totally different and unprecedented.

My point about the straight from the comics line was that it wasn't. The concept was old bthe background for led was modern. It's always mix matched. How do we know she's mpt working for Ares Buchanan to sabotage is company or use his resources to help people he's trying to hurt?

So she somehow holds an executive position in a company that she's trying to sabotage? Do you really think that's going to be the case? I'd bet money that they're going to use her job to write typical TV stories like professional challenges or hooking up with the handsome hotshot that was just hired.

Yeah, which is why in Superman shows, he's Clark Kent the reporter. Not Kalvin Clark the lawyer, who at best might be Superman long after abandoning his Clark Kent identity, as if that's supposed to be acceptable. Again, you would never see a Superman or Batman show that starts with the premise of turning the character into something totally different and unprecedented.

So she somehow holds an executive position in a company that she's trying to sabotage? Do you really think that's going to be the case? I'd bet money that they're going to use her job to write typical TV stories like professional challenges or hooking up with the handsome hotshot that was just hired.

I'm just saying that even if they made him a news reporter it wouldn't be automatically acceptable just because it's from the comics same as it being unacceptable cause corporate exec isn't.

I still think we're missing something from this take. Doubt they told the papers their entire pitch.

I think everyone accepts the idea of Clark Kent as a reporter in any Superman adaptation. It's even a "cool" job that offers opportunities for him to find trouble and even expose it in his civilian identity. If something's wrong with it, it's not the basic idea of him being a reporter.

What little has been revealed has already called Wonder Woman's civilian identity a "modern" corporate executive. That is nothing like the WW that anybody knows. If they can come out and say that they aren't completely reinventing the character, then by all means come out and say so.

Which still doesn't tell me why they didn't just have Diana Prince working for the military, which is another "cool" job.

I think everyone accepts the idea of Clark Kent as a reporter in any Superman adaptation. It's even a "cool" job that offers opportunities for him to find trouble and even expose it in his civilian identity. If something's wrong with it, it's not the basic idea of him being a reporter.

What little has been revealed has already called Wonder Woman's civilian identity a "modern" corporate executive. That is nothing like the WW that anybody knows. If they can come out and say that they aren't completely reinventing the character, then by all means come out and say so.

Which still doesn't tell me why they didn't just have Diana Prince working for the military, which is another "cool" job.
But that really isn't true anymore. Paper is weak and TV reporters have just as many /good sources. If Raimi had made Pete a web designer before Bendis established it they would have flipped.

I guess the line between reinventing and interpretation hasn't been crossed for me yet.

I said this before in the other thread but with it going to NBC (regardless of everyones opinions of the network and its ratings) they are going to want to hit a large demographic of people and unfortunately appealing solely to the wonder woman hardcore fanbase is a silly mentality and a niche market.

I see the reason for making her a corporate executive or whatever they end up deciding, but when you give her a secret identity, its partly making her a bit more relatible and the thing that springs to mind right away is making her a role model for young girls and this can translate into larger ratings (whether it does or not is a different story).

I'm guessing we'll see her new costume and that would be great because it shouldn't cost a small fortune to make a good looking version of that without it looking cheap.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but I'm pretty skeptical. Business does not seem like an area Wonder Woman would choose as her day job. Business is great if you want financial stability, as most of us non-powered folks constantly worry about, but generally I think it's expected that characters like Wonder Woman and Superman have more altruistic interests as far as their non-costumed careers go.

Clark Kent is a reporter because it helps him keep up with the "truth" part of his motto "Truth and Justice," not just to get info for his Superman ventures but also to bring truth to the people through the newspaper. With Bruce Wayne, he inherited his family's company, and he needs it to finance his war on crime and to create his equipment. Diana has generally held jobs that assisted her costumed persona, whether it was working in the army or with US intelligence. Her job is to end conflict (especially the violent kind), and these jobs helped her locate the source of conflicts and get the facts quickly.

Being a power business woman doesn't really seem like it would help WW's mission much. Unless she's going to be taking down corrupt business tycoons, which seems rather beneath someone of her power level (unless we're to believe every Fortune 500 company is being run by some variant of Lex Luthor), it seems like a rather unlikely job for her to take interest in.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but I'm pretty skeptical. Business does not seem like an area Wonder Woman would choose as her day job. Business is great if you want financial stability, as most of us non-powered folks constantly worry about, but generally I think it's expected that characters like Wonder Woman and Superman have more altruistic interests as far as their non-costumed careers go.

Clark Kent is a reporter because it helps him keep up with the "truth" part of his motto "Truth and Justice," not just to get info for his Superman ventures but also to bring truth to the people through the newspaper. With Bruce Wayne, he inherited his family's company, and he needs it to finance his war on crime and to create his equipment. Diana has generally held jobs that assisted her costumed persona, whether it was working in the army or with US intelligence. Her job is to end conflict (especially the violent kind), and these jobs helped her locate the source of conflicts and get the facts quickly.

Being a power business woman doesn't really seem like it would help WW's mission much. Unless she's going to be taking down corrupt business tycoons, which seems rather beneath someone of her power level (unless we're to believe every Fortune 500 company is being run by some variant of Lex Luthor), it seems like a rather unlikely job for her to take interest in.

I think the idea that every Fortune 500 company is run by some variant of Lex Luthor is precisely the fallacy that leads to criticism of Diana as a businesswoman.

As a businesswoman, depending on the writer's goals, Diana will be able to facilitate and lead out in many of the same meetings she would as an ambassador, and more, in fact. It is the only position I can think of that would give her both high level military and high level political contacts.

As a businesswoman, Diana will have access to and control over resources which she can spend in benefit of the oppressed and in need.

Business is great if you want to do some good in the world. They're the ones who have the real power. The only problem with the real world is that those with power in the business world are often there selfishly. Fortunately, Diana Prince won't have that problem.

This is in addition to the other benefits to being a businesswoman, it is a modern position, and takes a character who is perceived to be in a obsolete/irrelevant/contradictory position into a position of power that is immediately recognizable to the average person. It's a smart move, regardless of the WW purists shagrin.

MCG TO DIRECT WW PILOT?!!!!

Wonder-Woman-1.jpg
mcg-charlies.jpg

Following the news late last week that NBC has picked up David E. Kelley's "Wonder Woman" pilot comes word, via TV Line that the network may already have a name lined up to take on the pilot: Charlie's Angels and Terminator: Salvation director McG. Outside his name, details are few and, indeed, reports are still unconfirmed, though McG's credits (primarily the two Charlie's Angels films) showcase a both an ability to blend television and cinema-scale narrative as well as a bankable use of strong female protagonists.

Kelley, who is in charge of developing the pilot, is best known for creating series like "Ally McBeal," "Chicago Hope" and, most recently, "Boston Legal." He has also drafted screenplays for films like Lake Placid and Mystery, Alaska.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/114322-mcg-approached-for-wonder-woman-

Not really sure what to think. Whereas Salvation was definitely not the greatest in the series, it definitely beat out T3 by a long run. If this is a serious take on WW in the tone/style of that, then I'll be very happy. But if they are making Wonder Woman into a Charlies Angels style show, I'M GONNA START A ****ING RIOT!

Last edited:
TheComicBookKid said:
But that really isn't true anymore. Paper is weak and TV reporters have just as many /good sources. If Raimi had made Pete a web designer before Bendis established it they would have flipped.

I guess the line between reinventing and interpretation hasn't been crossed for me yet.

What does that have to do with anything? Newspapers are still around, and the point was that Clark Kent is a reporter because Clark Kent is a reporter. People want to see the character they like faithfully translated.

If they were to "modernize" Clark Kent, he might be a reporter for a website or something. Doesn't really change a thing. That's a far cry from turning WW into a corporate exec.

I think the idea that every Fortune 500 company is run by some variant of Lex Luthor is precisely the fallacy that leads to criticism of Diana as a businesswoman.

CEOs aren't all Lex Luthor of course...but let's not get carried away in the other extreme. If she's an executive at a big company, her primary job is to make money for the company. Which is why I really, really doubt that this job will all be some big altruistic front for the world's greatest charity. Rather, I think it's just sticking to tried-and-true, typical TV premises.

solidsnake86 said:
I said this before in the other thread but with it going to NBC (regardless of everyones opinions of the network and its ratings) they are going to want to hit a large demographic of people and unfortunately appealing solely to the wonder woman hardcore fanbase is a silly mentality and a niche market.

I see the reason for making her a corporate executive or whatever they end up deciding, but when you give her a secret identity, its partly making her a bit more relatible and the thing that springs to mind right away is making her a role model for young girls and this can translate into larger ratings (whether it does or not is a different story).

Corporate execs aren't relatable, since very, very few people are executives. How is it any more relateable than a job with the government or military?

I think I pointed it out before this thread got rebooted. The #1 scripted show on network TV last time I checked was NCIS. If they wanted to appeal to the masses, a job with the Army would've done fine.

What does that have to do with anything? Newspapers are still around, and the point was that Clark Kent is a reporter because Clark Kent is a reporter. People want to see the character they like faithfully translated.

If they were to "modernize" Clark Kent, he might be a reporter for a website or something. Doesn't really change a thing. That's a far cry from turning WW into a corporate exec.

I think I pointed it out before this thread got rebooted. The #1 scripted show on network TV last time I checked was NCIS. If they wanted to appeal to the masses, a job with the Army would've done fine.

I find it funny that you think making Clark a web reporter is insignificant when the Daily Planet dynamic is a huge part of the character imo.

It feels to me like a large part of the reason this angle is getting so much flack is that 1) this isn't going to the definitive WW story fans want and 2) this corporate angle hasn't been fan approved which was my point about Bendis. Fans(not singling you out) always seem to batten down the hatches with any interpretation that isn't comic approved first. JokerCrow or BrokeBack Joker were the first jokes made about Ledger. Now we have the idea that the dancing baby from Ally McBeal is going to show up cause it shows up in every Kelley production apparently.:whatever:

I understand why people seem so accepting of that military crap even if it's just as possibly against WW's modern interpretation as an exec cause fans know it.

Now people are really going to have a heart attack when they hear about the McG news.

Whenever i hear McG's name i'm always reminded of Bale's rant.

- McG you have something to say to this prick?
- I didnt see it.
- Well somebody should be watching him because he doesnt give a **** about the scene!

Hahaha i've listened to it about a thousand times!

Didn't McG do the pilot for Chuck? If he approaches Wonder Woman as sensibly as he approached Sarah I could live with it.

On to page 2, w00t! :D

I don't really want a light or campy WW show. I feel like that approach should be beneath us by now, and yet there always seem to be people who insist that it's the best approach towards superheroes.

Didn't McG do the pilot for Chuck? If he approaches Wonder Woman as sensibly as he approached Sarah I could live with it.

Yeah and then he's also the executive producer of Supernatural, Human Target, and Nikita. I think he's directed a couple episodes of Supernatural as well as the Chuck pilot, so that makes me hold out a little bit more hope if he directs the pilot.

Corporate executive seems predictable and boring. If you're going to change a established character's story, why change it to be even more cliched and something seen before? It's the opposite of what character changes should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"