Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they ever decide to do that thing where the young ones meet the new ones, maybe.

Keeping them in the 70s would have meant Scott/Jean/Storm/etc. are off limits. They're already pushing it having them 16-18 in 1983.

Ideally for me the sequels to this movie would explore how the members of this team grow up together through new adventures a la Harry Potter, if you continue the decade jumping we'll miss that and will have to accept whatever the filmmakers decide happened to the characters in that decade (and some people are still pissed off over them killing Emma Frost, Banshee, Azazel, etc.)

exactly. and people change in 10 years... it shouldn't feel as if 20 years have passed and the person pretty much is relatively the same... (cough cough moira) but they also can't greatly change them and let the audience feel the disconnect. so they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Keeping them in the 70s would have meant Scott/Jean/Storm/etc. are off limits. They're already pushing it having them 16-18 in 1983.
Famke Janssen was born in 1964, Halle Berry in 1966. Their characters being in their late teens in 1983 is pretty much right on. Marsden was only 10 in 1983, though.

I agree and disagree. Since the main X-Men films are always jumping decades that puts the other properties dependent on them. There's nothing really to say they won't jump another decade. Films like say Deadpool likely won't want their stories jumping 10 years every film. Which would cause just as much conflict in keeping everyone and their narratives in one place.

If they would just simply plan stuff out, these could be easily avoided and that's their biggest issue - they don't plan things out with this universe at all.

They could have done Wolverine 3 in between DoFP and Apocalypse. Set the core of the story a year or two before Apocalypse, use flashbacks and help fill in blanks on what happened with Wolvie once Mystique fished him out of the river. Which was why I was so keen on doing an adaptation of the 'Get Mystique' storyline. It was setup perfectly after DoFP's ending.

Lay the groundwork and set Deadpool within that same timeframe as Wolverine 3, a year or two before Apoc. Post-Apoc, with the introduction of Angel and Psylocke and Deadpool already introduced, you have X-Force setup on a silver platter.

Well I think they wanted wolverines swan song to be set in the future to feature professor X and possibly other X-Men as a goodbye to him. It really wouldn't work shoving him in the 80s too because then people would expect him to stick around for more movies which he isn't. Even though they could use him but I like what they're doing.

I don't think it's not that they don't have a plan but they don't plan far ahead. They have a plan for the next films but they always like to tie up each movie without us needing to think about the next one right away. I think that's fine.

Well I think they wanted wolverines swan song to be set in the future to feature professor X and possibly other X-Men as a goodbye to him. It really wouldn't work shoving him in the 80s too because then people would expect him to stick around for more movies which he isn't. Even though they could use him but I like what they're doing.

I don't think it's not that they don't have a plan but they don't plan far ahead. They have a plan for the next films but they always like to tie up each movie without us needing to think about the next one right away. I think that's fine.

People are already expecting him to stick around due to that Mystique cliffhanger though.

Not necessarily. I think people thought too much into it like she was using him or something but it just goes with her saving mutants and stuff. She probably just sent him on his way for all we know. Anyway if the reports are true and Hugh is in this we will get some answers and then the Wolverine movie with Prof X will fill in the gaps. Like Prof X said at the end of DoFP they have a lot of catching up to do.

If they would just simply plan stuff out, these could be easily avoided and that's their biggest issue - they don't plan things out with this universe at all.

Agreed, and I'm hoping the success of Deadpool makes them take more of an initiative to do so. That and Apocalypse should score Fox past 1.5b. They have not enjoyed this sort of financial success before with the franchise, and it can grow more lucrative pretty fast if they play their cards right.

Not necessarily. I think people thought too much into it like she was using him or something but it just goes with her saving mutants and stuff. She probably just sent him on his way for all we know. Anyway if the reports are true and Hugh is in this we will get some answers and then the Wolverine movie with Prof X will fill in the gaps. Like Prof X said at the end of DoFP they have a lot of catching up to do.

This. People read too much into this. General audience won't exactly keep questioning it, they'll accept it for the sake of the ride.

I kind of wish they would plan stuff out too, but at the same time I am also glad that they do things movie to movie rather than having a large master plan of the whole universe.

Once you start planning these things out, it can really potentially lead to more studio meddling. And also lead to significant portions of movies being dedicated to setting up future parts of the universe rather than having the movie being more contained.

I look forward to them staying in this decade for at least one or two more films. They can always use time travel gimmickry to bring it to the present later.

I kind of wish they would plan stuff out too, but at the same time I am also glad that they do things movie to movie rather than having a large master plan of the whole universe.

Once you start planning these things out, it can really potentially lead to more studio meddling. And also lead to significant portions of movies being dedicated to setting up future parts of the universe rather than having the movie being more contained.

How very true indeed. What works for one studio may not be the best policy for another and vice-versa.

This. People read too much into this. General audience won't exactly keep questioning it, they'll accept it for the sake of the ride.

I don't think you're giving the general audience enough credit, they're not clueless people who just go watch movies and leave without questions. There were plenty of people in the general audience that wondered what Mystique was going to do with him post DoFP.

Planning is a strategy. Not copying a style.

I don't think that it needs to be planned out in advance for years just when you get to the next chapter making sure that plots and cliffhangers are addressed is important.

I don't think you're giving the general audience enough credit, they're not clueless people who just go watch movies and leave without questions. There were plenty of people in the general audience that wondered what Mystique was going to do with him post DoFP.

Surely they won't. But it won't take them out of the experience. General audience question where the other Avengers are in almost every post Avengers movie. I'm just saying that they won't come to the conclusion of a grand conspiracy with Wolverine, they're more likely to assume that Mystique simply let him go.

I don't think that it needs to be planned out in advance for years just when you get to the next chapter making sure that plots and cliffhangers are addressed is important.

Know what other filmmakers are creating. If you have 5 X-Men films in development for the next 3 years, you better know which characters are planning on being used and how they can/can't connect. Otherwise things get messy as we have seen time and time again with this franchise.

This franchise needs to learn from it's mistakes not pass them off as nothing. It's had issues with only 2 IP's. Now it added another and plans on adding at least 3 more.

Last edited:

Then honestly, they need to drop the whole "We want these movies and characters in the same universe" thing they keep saying. You can't have a fully functioning universe that makes sense but only plan movie to movie. It'll never work that way. There's a balance between having a shared universe where everything fits together vs. making each movie a slave to the next one. That's my one issue with Marvel, but just because they have that issue (IMO) doesn't mean another studio can't find a more healthy balance that works for them.

Surely they won't. But it won't take them out of the experience. General audience question where the other Avengers are in almost every post Avengers movie. I'm just saying that they won't come to the conclusion of a grand conspiracy with Wolverine, they're more likely to assume that Mystique simply let him go.

This.^^^

Don't know why Bryan agreed to work with Kinberg after back to serie.
Since TLS this serie fu.k logic.
Nothing will top X2, because they will continue this mess with fu... up continuity and logic errors in movie (example in DOFP: both Stryker and Mystique were in bunker in White House during Magneto drop Logan to river, but later she knows she has to rescue Logan from river, meh...).
Deadpool is in same timeline after 1973? Yup and Wade Wilson is only 10 years older in 2015 than in 1975, if he was born before 1973 he would be same age in both timelines.
Tell me more Kinberg about your math in school.

Fox need to have one main person at the helm who has a big role in the franchise. Lauren kind of is that but it doesn't seem she's as involved with the X films compared to Kevin with the Marvel ones. They need one or a few people in charge really keeping things on track but it seems they're doing that now. So no need to worry. Bryan looks to be involved with producing everything as is Simon who is also lending to each story but not writing it all. I think right now they're doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"