Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
so which movies between 2006 and 2016 are "younger" or "fresher" than X-Men: Apocalypse? Sorry, but most Marvel movies are really not great movies...they are redundant and very one note. Days of Future Past is still the best comic movie after The Dark Knight and not Marvel movie comes close.

Absolutely. It feels like comic book films that have claimed to be "inspired" by The Dark Knight don't understand what makes that film great. Dark Knight isn't good simply because it's dark, and gritty. It's great because of the story, character development, strong themes, understandable motivations, relevant social commentary, and complex arcs for its characters. In that regard DOFP is the only comic book film to truly follow in The Dark Knight's footsteps.

Last edited:
Lol @ people acting like apocalypse had some of singers artistry to it.. this film was jack and the beanstalk levels of bad for sunger...

And I stand by my assessment.. this was far more popcorn than X3... x3 at least had you invested in the already established characters..

This film even ranked below superman returns for me...

And seriously? People are arguing lack of character development for widow while praising apocalypse for having multuple characters introduced with absolutely none.. they'd have negative, if that were even possible.

I can't even think of anyone comparable to the silent barely does anything psylocke/archangel trope in the Marvel films..even Hawkeye did more in AVENGERS

And seriously? What was "fresh" about apocalypse outside of the more comic books take compared to other xmen films? There was nothing fresh about it when pitted against other films in the genre.

Other xfilms? Sure. But other superhero films? No

Absolutely. It feels like comic book films that have claimed to be "inspired" by The Dark Knight don't understand what makes that film great. Dark Knight isn't good simply because it's dark, and gritty. It's great because of the story, character development, strong themes, understandable motivations, relevant social commentary, and complex arcs for its characters. In that regard DOFP is the only comic book film to truly follow in The Dark Knight's footsteps.

Don't forget that before Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (2005-2012) we already had Singer doing a extremely realistic take on the comic book genre with X-Men with X1 (2000) and X2 (2003) which surely also influenced Nolan's take on Batman. So it actually comes full circle as Singer's influence on the comic book genre in my eyes sparked the most impressive movies of the genre. I personally also see Civil War in this trajectory...

Last edited:
X-Men: Apocalypse in my eyes mainly failed because Singer tried too hard to bring all earlier movies together, which came out to feel very redundant. Audiences actually have to remember all previous movies to be able to appreciate the movie.

Singer uses X-Men: Apocalypse to
1) re-introduce Scott, Jean and Nightcrawler (X1-X3)
2) re-tells Wolverine's Weapon X story for the Logan movie (X2 and X-Men Origins)
3) brings Jean's story full circle as a narrative that actually went through X1,X2,X3 and The Wolverine. (I already spend too much time here trying to show the beauty of Singer's Jean Grey storyline in "X:A" in the wider context of the franchise...)
4) tells Magneto's storyline how he became a horsemen (main story of this movie!)
5) introduces Apocalypse as a new villain
6) shows us the further storylines of Charles, Raven and Hank
...etc.

I also disagree that there is nothing of Singer's atistry in the movie! Apocalypse taking over cerebro is an outstandingly crafted scene where score and editing produces a phenomenal emotional experience. What Ottman and Singer did here is MORE than mainstream cinema (same goes to Quicksilver's scene although horribly placed and very tonal dissonant).

The main problem with "X-Men Apocalypse" is lackluster, boring action in my eyes and a somehow very random third act without any plot. This could maybe excused if the action wouldn't be that dull and badly edited...

The first 1 hour and 20 minutes are a good movie but everything that follows is a random, inexcusable mess.

Last edited:
one of biggest problems apart from kinberg's writing and giving him freer regin was singer sacrificed some of his usual style to do popcorn film aka his version of MCU film.I thought showdown in third act In egypt is better than say age of ultron or BVS.

introducing new timeline versions of cyclops,jean,and storm was inevitable.Singer clearly wanted to use phoenix in film in event he didn't direct another X-men film,still an open question,and he wanted to do weapon X since this would be last chance to use Hugh Jackman in a full X-Men film.

Jennifer Lawrence star power defently affects films.that is likely a factor why they put her in uniform at end of the film to open door for lawrence to come back and cut down makeup time to just face and wig.

Right now stan Lee has become in his cameos a usual joke for audence but singer was able to put him in a very serious moment.

without question X-Men,X2,and DOFP are better films than Apocalypse but saying all MCU films are better than apocalypse is going too far.Singer set the stage for Nolan on dark knight trilogy which even the dark Knight rises is better than any DCEU film.The russio Brothers are only MCU directors who come close to Singer.They are pretty much reason Infinity war and it's followup have my intention.Nolan by the way advised snyder not to have superman kill Zod and not to kill off Superman.Singer on apocalypse commantary actully sticks up for Ratner.Singer has a lot more class than some.and Nolan was smarter than snyder.and he acted classy towards Superman returns and towards Tim Burton's Batman films too.

Singer in some ways was bringing to close certain aspects of his vision of X-Men.uniforms in particular.possibly Magneto as a villain.

Lol @ people acting like apocalypse had some of singers artistry to it.. this film was jack and the beanstalk levels of bad for sunger...
Idk how someone can look at the opening credits in this film, and say there is no artistry involved.

one of biggest problems apart from kinberg's writing and giving him freer regin was singer sacrificed some of his usual style to do popcorn film aka his version of MCU film.I thought showdown in third act In egypt is better than say age of ultron or BVS.

You know what i do give singer credit for what he attempted to do with X-Men: Apocalypse, he obviously made the decision to make something abit more humorous and fun as there is noticeably alot more of it in this movie and i dunno whether that was an MCU influence, a deadpool influence, an attempt to replicate the tone of XFC or just singer knowing he had to step things up in some way for the 3rd movie but i do think it was the right decision on singers part to do it as this franchise probably needs abit of that at this point.

Now whether or not he did it well or not is each to their own but i'd be disappointed if suddenly the next film took a backstep to lose some of that.

Jennifer Lawrence star power defently affects films.that is likely a factor why they put her in uniform at end of the film to open door for lawrence to come back and cut down makeup time to just face and wig.

Its easy to say it was a jen lawrence influence but thats not necessarily the case, her being in that outfit was no different to everyone else being in the comic influenced outfits

Last edited:
X-Men: Apocalypse in my eyes mainly failed because Singer tried too hard to bring all earlier movies together, which came out to feel very redundant. Audiences actually have to remember all previous movies to be able to appreciate the movie.

Singer uses X-Men: Apocalypse to
1) re-introduce Scott, Jean and Nightcrawler (X1-X3)
2) re-tells Wolverine's Weapon X story for the Logan movie (X2 and X-Men Origins)
3) brings Jean's story full circle as a narrative that actually went through X1,X2,X3 and The Wolverine. (I already spend too much time here trying to show the beauty of Singer's Jean Grey storyline in "X:A" in the wider context of the franchise...)
4) tells Magneto's storyline how he became a horsemen (main story of this movie!)
5) introduces Apocalypse as a new villain
6) shows us the further storylines of Charles, Raven and Hank
...etc.

I also disagree that there is nothing of Singer's atistry in the movie! Apocalypse taking over cerebro is an outstandingly crafted scene where score and editing produces a phenomenal emotional experience. What Ottman and Singer did here is MORE than mainstream cinema (same goes to Quicksilver's scene although horribly placed and very tonal dissonant).

The main problem with "X-Men Apocalypse" is lackluster, boring action in my eyes and a somehow very random third act without any plot. This could maybe excused if the action wouldn't be that dull and badly edited...

The first 1 hour and 20 minutes are a good movie but everything that follows is a random, inexcusable mess.

I remembered all the movies and still didn't appreciate it. It was a poorly directed, written, and edited film

Invested in who exactly?

Jean, storm, Xavier, Cyclops. Mystique, magneto, iceman, pyro, rogue. We got to know those characters over x1 and X2. And most the complaints of x3 were from the killing off Scott, the death of xavier, the lack of a true phoenix, and rogue taking the cure.. those all get far more flack than the pacing or overall story... and at least x3 was insightful with the aspect of the cure... where as apocalypse really didn't bring anything insightful to the table at all. The drama singer thrives on was lost...

I also feel like magneto shouldn't of been in this film at all, other than his family getting killed he ultimately served nothing... and truly didn't carry the film in any way. Unlike DOFP where he felt like an emotional beacon.

Nothing in apocalypse felt like something new to the franchise, magneto has now become over-redundant. And it certainly didn't bring anything new to the comic go film genre either...

Idk how someone can look at the opening credits in this film, and say there is no artistry involved.

??? These were easily the worst xmen opening credits ever... they usually have a pretty sweet design with subtle hints of things that happen in the film...

This one was just a timeline letting focus be on going through time... to the 80s... and it felt wayyyyy generic. For an xmen film

You know what i do give singer credit for what he attempted to do with X-Men: Apocalypse, he obviously made the decision to make something abit more humorous and fun as there is noticeably alot more of it in this movie and i dunno whether that was an MCU influence, a deadpool influence, an attempt to replicate the tone of XFC or just singer knowing he had to step things up in some way for the 3rd movie but i do think it was the right decision on singers part to do it as this franchise probably needs abit of that at this point.

Now whether or not he did it well or not is each to their own but i'd be disappointed if suddenly the next film took a backstep to lose some of that.

Its easy to say it was a jen lawrence influence but thats not necessarily the case, her being in that outfit was no different to everyone else being in the comic influenced outfits

Singer gets credit for going outside of his comfort zone. It's a step in the right direction. But as I said before.. he has all the right pieces to the puzzle. He just doesn't seem to know what to do with them

Jean, storm, Xavier, Cyclops. Mystique, magneto, iceman, pyro, rogue. We got to know those characters over x1 and X2. And most the complaints of x3 were from the killing off Scott, the death of xavier, the lack of a true phoenix, and rogue taking the cure.. those all get far more flack than the pacing or overall story... and at least x3 was insightful with the aspect of the cure... where as apocalypse really didn't bring anything insightful to the table at all. The drama singer thrives on was lost...

I also feel like magneto shouldn't of been in this film at all, other than his family getting killed he ultimately served nothing... and truly didn't carry the film in any way. Unlike DOFP where he felt like an emotional beacon.

Nothing in apocalypse felt like something new to the franchise, magneto has now become over-redundant. And it certainly didn't bring anything new to the comic go film genre either...

Again what was to be invested in exactly? Cyclops? Not even worth commenting on that one, rogue? her taking the cure was nothing really when you think the whole point of her arc was to be jealous of kitty and Bobby, storm? Seriously what was to invest? You are basically investing on what come before it rather then what is worth investing in the movie since most of it is tarnished

x3 thought you to invest with tricks like putting Jean and Scott's graves next to each other to be somewhat sweet for that relationship they had even though she killed him early on and tried to screw Logan.

Last edited:
I thought Apocalypse started off very promising and I was very optimistic but I'm not sure where it changed sometime after the Horsemen got recruited I disliked how they just became mute except for Magneto. The movie had promise but they dropped the ball not to mention the final battle was so ridiculously quick I was expecting more. Some of the CGI was just painfully bad it was like a lot of the movie was just rushed and it messed things up. Though I did enjoy Apocalypse it was lacking and they just cut to many things that should've been left in the movie, like my gripe was Storm was never mentioned by her code name or her real name she is just known as the black chick with white hair. The little we got from Shipp though I was impressed by and I thought all the young cast actually did a great job they just didn't have much to work with. Angel and Psylocke were just completely wasted. I like what Singer has done in the past but we just need someone else onboard he dosent have the handle on all the characters I would want.

I'd agree that maybe someone else could give the franchise a shot. I'd hope that, based on Deadpool, Fox gets a team that's a. passionate about the franchise and characters, and b. doesn't try to interfere with production. At the same time, while I like the general tone of the X-Men films since 2000, the MCU has really changed things up so now you can have a fun, colorful superhero film that tells a serious story and has real character development.

That's why I hope the next main X-Men film, based on the new team we got at the end of Apocalypse (which I still maintain that Danger Room sequence was very similar to the new Avengers lineup at the end of Age of Ultron), deals with a smaller scale threat instead of some end-of-the-world plot so we can get to know this team, similar to watching the new roster of Avengers in action at the start of Civil War.

We definitely need a change in focus so that Storm gets more character and the emphasis moves away from Xavier, Magneto and Mystique.

J-Law didn't bring a box office boost to XM:A, so the studio's thinking on the importance of her role is proved without a doubt to be misguided and erroneous.

Get rid of Mystique and Magneto from the next movie. It will save money and allow others to get a slice of the screentime.

J-laws role wasn't even that big in apocalypse but chances are either way her role was on the creative team rather fox pushing to give her more importance.

And I am pretty sure magneto will be in the next movie either way because quicksilver is part of the team and they obviously opened a door there for more exploration there.

Last edited:
J-laws role wasn't even that big in apocalypse but chances are either way her role was on the creative team rather fox pushing to give her more importance.

And I am pretty sure magneto will be in the next movie either way because quicksilver is part of the team and they obviously opened a door there for more exploration there.

Magneto could easily skip a movie. Quicksilver made it clear he is hesitant about raising the 'daddy issue'.

In my view, if they do another movie with this young cast, Magneto should be absent and Mystique also should be explained out of the story.

At the end, Quicksilver decides to go and find Magneto, and that could lead to a House of M / Genosha inspired sequel.

But the very next film should build the team dynamic between Storm, Jean, Cyclops and Nightcrawler. It was a mistake to write out Banshee and Emma Frost, as they (or Banshee at least) would have made good additions to the team (they could have been found imprisoned at Alkali Lake in XM:A)...

Quicksilver may not have been an X-Man in the comics but chances are he is gonna be an X-Man for the next movie and they probably won't treat him less of an X-Man than the others by singling him out.

Quicksilver was by far the best received of the new recruits, so he absolutely should be a big part of the next film.

Again what was to be invested in exactly? Cyclops? Not even worth commenting on that one, rogue? her taking the cure was nothing really when you think the whole point of her arc was to be jealous of kitty and Bobby, storm? Seriously what was to invest? You are basically investing on what come before it rather then what is worth investing in the movie since most of it is tarnished

x3 thought you to invest with tricks like putting Jean and Scott's graves next to each other to be somewhat sweet for that relationship they had even though she killed him early on and tried to screw Logan.

X3 is a third chapter of a series... you don't need to be reinvested in a character in every movie.. of course you take what came before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"