Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me I would put Apoc above TDW, IM 2 and 3, TIH and AOU. I enjoyed Apoc a lot would take the titular character over the majority of MCU villains also.

I'll definitely say that Apocalypse could've been better developed, and a little more of a threat. However, the sequence of Apocalypse ridding the world of nukes is easily my favorite scene of any comic book villain this year.

I'll definitely say that Apocalypse could've been better developed, and a little more of a threat. However, the sequence of Apocalypse ridding the world of nukes is easily my favorite scene of any comic book villain this year.

I agree. This scene was really gloriously crafted and the best scene of all comic book movies this year. I loved everything about it! THIS was a version of Apocalypse that worked fantastically, thanks to Ottman's craftmanship.

Unfortunately, the 'funny' Quicksilver scene afterwards totally countered the tone. Just imagine if Quicksilver's scene was shot in a similar dramatic tone! (without the Stan Lee cameo) We would all have pissed our pants of excitement for the rest of the movie.

The nuke scene was the climax of this movie and nothing afterwards made Apocalypse look manacing (or sense...lol).

by the way, anybody here who has been alive already in 1980s who knows some heavy metal bands from this time which could have been the inspiration for Apocalypse and his horsemen?

The look of apocalypse and his horsemen really grew on me. I think they are the most 80s looking thing about this entire movie. I am wondering if Singer was inspired directly by any metal band/album cover from this time? (Metallica for example are not cheesy enough in their aesthetic)

Iron Maiden's album cover for Powerslave (1984) looks interestingly quite similar to Apocalypse's pyramid with the golden solar effect on top:

iron-maiden-powerslave-cyrusaman.jpg

Last edited:
If i remember right there is an image somewhere of singer watching the film 'gods of egypt' to get inspiration for those egypt scenes

Unfortunately, the 'funny' Quicksilver scene afterwards totally countered the tone. Just imagine if Quicksilver's scene was shot in a similar dramatic tone! (without the Stan Lee cameo) We would all have pissed our pants of excitement for the rest of the movie.

There is a chance it may not have become as well received if it was more dramatic, many people liked the fun tone of the sequence which is why its the stand out for many.

Yes we will. Because that's laughable by even standard film making. This was probably the most "popcorny" xmen film yet

The most popcorny has to be X-Men Origins: wolverine, but if we don't count that movie than yeah its X3.

You could say apocalypse had popcorny moments indeed but with singer he ain't a popcorny director.

I thought he offered plenty of threat. But I do agree on the development part and the nukes scene. I got goose bumps at that one. But yeah, a bit more development wouldn't have gone amiss. Especially as it's highly unlikely he won't be coming back.

It's fine if people like Apocalypse,there are certainly some bright spots in it. But the General consensus(critics,audience,box office) shows is that it's considered pretty lackluster and yes,it's put under every other non-Wolverine X-Men and MCU movie,deservedly imo. Still better than BvS and SS though.Maybe if it came out in 2006 it would have been received a little better,but it totally feels old and tired in 2016.

Last edited:
It's fine if people like Apocalypse,there are certainly some bright spots in it. But the General consensus(critics,audience,box office) shows is that it's considered pretty lackluster and yes,it's put under every other non-Wolverine X-Men and MCU movie,deservedly imo. Still better than BvS and SS though.Maybe if it came out in 2006 it would have been received a little better,but it totally feels old and tired in 2016.

so which movies between 2006 and 2016 are "younger" or "fresher" than X-Men: Apocalypse? Sorry, but most Marvel movies are really not great movies...they are redundant and very one note. Days of Future Past is still the best comic movie after The Dark Knight and not Marvel movie comes close.

so which movies between 2006 and 2016 are "younger" or "fresher" than X-Men: Apocalypse? Sorry, but most Marvel movies are really not great movies...they are redundant and very one note. Days of Future Past is still the best comic movie after The Dark Knight and not Marvel movie comes close.

Did I say they are great movies? But they are certainly all good/great COMIC BOOK movies,most people who don't recognize it are just haters. First Class,Days of Future Past and Deadpool were all fresh movies in the CBM genre with great execution,something Apocalypse totally lacks. Of course DoFP is among the best CBMs,even if I still prefer X2. Also,I remember you constantly whining about the movie on these boards,what changed now?

Last edited:
Did I say they are great movies? But they are certainly all good/great COMIC BOOK movies,most people who don't recognize it are just haters. First Class,Days of Future Past and Deadpool were all fresh movies in the CBM genre with great execution,something Apocalypse totally lacks. Of course DoFP is among the best CBMs,even if I still prefer X2. Also,I remember you constantly whining about the movie on these boards,what changed now?

"whining", "hater"?! seriously?...sorry dude, but user using these immature categories to immunize their opinion against others are not really worth responding to...

X-Men: Apocalypse was tremendously dissappointing for me but a bad Singer movie is still hundred times more interesting than a good Marvel movie. And I don't whine, I argue. Disney produces children's movies. Singer puts a lot more thought into it.

Comic books are also way more complex and interesting than what Marvel (a.k.a. DISNEY) has done so far with these characters. well,...most Avengers' comicbooks are total **** anyway. So maybe you have a point here and they are "good" Avenger comicbook adaptations.

"whining", "hater"?! seriously?...sorry dude, but user using these immature categories to immunize their opinion against others are not really worth responding to...

X-Men: Apocalypse was tremendously dissappointing for me but a bad Singer movie is still hundred times more interesting than a good Marvel movie. And I don't whine, I argue. Disney produces children's movies. Singer puts a lot more thought into it.

Comic books are also way more complex and interesting than what Marvel (a.k.a. DISNEY) has done so far with these characters. well,...most Avengers' comicbooks are total **** anyway. So maybe you have a point here and they are "good" Avenger comicbook adaptations.

You argue by saying that Disney(which just distributes what Marvel produces)makes children's movies. That's what everyone who tries to downplay Marvel's success says. That's enough for me to stop this conversation,not worth it.

For me, X-Men: Apocalypse is average. Somewhere in the middle. It's the type of movie that could have been excellent, but everyone was like let's make money fast and let it be mediocre. It has some great scenes (Quicksilver, Magneto etc.) and some themes that are really thought-provoking when you think about it (Apocalypse's "no more weapons" and "false idols" stuff are glimpses of motives that could have been explored WAY better), actors do a good job, but as a whole, it doesn't work. Some characters are completely wasted (Angel, Psylocke, Storm) and the main villain isn't done well. For me, Apocalypse was too complex and too menacing to do his story justice in a two-hour movie. He needs much more space.

For me, X-Men: Apocalypse is still slightly better than SS and BvS because it has a consistent story if anything. Worse than Deadpool and CW though.

I defently disagree all mcu films are better than Apocalypse.out of "phase 2"
only ones i payed to see at theaters were winter soldier and age of ultron and only one i bought on dvd was winter soldier.so i too can vote with my wallot.
i saw civil war in theaters but haven't bought the dvd unlike apocalypse and
Deadpool.

now that I have the apocalypse dvd i am going to do a dvd rewatch of all films in series.so after that i can better rank the films but i can say now even though i like apocalypse it certinly isn't best X-Men film.that is X2.but it certinly doesn't deserve the bashing it is receing.Last Stand does.

if anything I feel Bryan singer made mistake to try to do cross between his
usual style and MCU.Turning down the allegory with mutants was big mistake.
That also has been my reason for not liking the poential idea of taking X-Men
Into outer space.That they would lose what makes X-Men special.

a lot of weakness can be leveled at kinberg's writing.Singer as director makes Apocalypse watchable and enjoying.if not for Singer i feel this defently would have been another last stand.

Turning Mystique into hero is defently a mistake.let's be frank we all know why it was done.because of Jennifer Lawrence.they defently overblew
her in the marketing of Apocalypse.I still maintain jean not mystique Is
real female lead of film.she really has an arc.as i see it mystique role was really to bring nightcrawler to mansion and talk to magneto.rest was trying to make her seem like Important character to younger characters.

CGI could have been better.and let be be frank quicksilver wasn't needed for
this film.nightcrawler was enough for some comic relief.even with them trying to add more humor apocalypse still makes civil war look like a comedy.as for apocalypse himself i disagree with all the critism.

as for box office let's be frank the GA domesticly is far less Intrested in
FC cast led by Lawrence than they were the original cast.as box office of both last stand and DOFP show.

You argue by saying that Disney(which just distributes what Marvel produces)makes children's movies. That's what everyone who tries to downplay Marvel's success says. That's enough for me to stop this conversation,not worth it.

children and dumb mainstream audiences. sorry, I forgot about the letter. my bad. :) (no shade)

their netflick series on the other hand are amazing.

Last edited:
For me, X-Men: Apocalypse is still slightly better than SS and BvS because it has a consistent story if anything. Worse than Deadpool and CW though.

only slightly better? saaaay what? ;) sorry but Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad are not medicore movies these are trainwrecks. Utterly unwatchable trainwrecks! X-Men Apocalypse is definitely mediocre but NOWHERE near these horrible, horrible DC movies...ugh!

you have right right to love all marvel studios films than X-Men but disney isn't just the distributer marvel is divison of disney.

for myself i really don't care about much of MCU characters except now spider-man.which is why i am so critical of spider-man in civil war.despite fact overall civil war is one of few MCU films to get postive reaction from me.on whole i could care less how successful they are since If I don't like films and characters.

marvel would never have done a film like DOFP.film where avengers couldn't at end of day defeat a villain and had to time travel? feige has said numras times their films aren't going dark.that is why i said if X-men were ever in MCU there would have to be MCU reboot to make it work.X-men can't work with the jokey tone of MCU that exsists in most films.Captain America films
are most serious films coming out of them.

before people say netflex shows those shows are dumping ground for characters they don't want to give films for.and that Feige has little involement in.

If deadpool was done by them it would have been very toned down.less bloody violence and certinly no sexual jokes and such like the sex
montage.

I defently wouldn't go so far as say children's film.

as for moaning about costumes.

Batman(1989) Batman begins and BVS which one had most comic accurate costume-that was BVS but i doudt most would say BVS is better batman film

Apocalypse is easily several notches below the worst MCU film.
It's a better movie than either SS or BvS, but also more boring. If given the choice, more times than not I'd rather watch a trainwreck over a complete snooze.

you have right right to love all marvel studios films than X-Men but disney isn't just the distributer marvel is divison of disney.

for myself i really don't care about much of MCU characters except now spider-man.which is why i am so critical of spider-man in civil war.despite fact overall civil war is one of few MCU films to get postive reaction from me.on whole i could care less how successful they are since If I don't like films and characters.

marvel would never have done a film like DOFP.film where avengers couldn't at end of day defeat a villain and had to time travel? feige has said numras times their films aren't going dark.that is why i said if X-men were ever in MCU there would have to be MCU reboot to make it work.X-men can't work with the jokey tone of MCU that exsists in most films.Captain America films
are most serious films coming out of them.

before people say netflex shows those shows are dumping ground for characters they don't want to give films for.and that Feige has little involement in.

If deadpool was done by them it would have been very toned down.less bloody violence and certinly no sexual jokes and such like the sex
montage.

I defently wouldn't go so far as say children's film.

as for moaning about costumes.

Batman(1989) Batman begins and BVS which one had most comic accurate costume-that was BVS but i doudt most would say BVS is better batman film

I love both Marvel and X-Men movies actually but Apoc was very weak imo. Marvel just happens to portray its character in a way I prefer over what Fox has done. I think movies like Winter Soldier and Civil War have a very similar tone to a movie like Days of Future Past, there's not a lot of difference. Remember that Zemo actually won in Civil War. And yeah Deadpool is pretty violent but is also way more juvenile and humorous than a lot of Marvel movies.

Marvel already killed Spider-Man's character in his first appearance for me. I also don't get why people are so excited about this Spider-Man? It's ridiculous to belief that this Peter Parker is any closer to the comic book version than the movies which came before. But this is the common narrative we are getting online: "UUUUH Marvel movies are just like the comic books" THEY ARE NOT. Marvel is simply having very good marketing telling these lies and dumb fanboys just play along with their empty narratives of "Marvel characters belong to the Marvel company".

Pairing Peter Parker with weapon mogul Tony Stark so early in his life is character suicide for me!!

How much money did Peter get for his job in Germany fighting Captain America for Tony Stark? This Marvel Cinematic Universe Peter Parker will NEVER have to work for the Daily Bugle while taking care of his old aunt while going to school and trying to be a superhero. That's what makes Spider-Man so special. He is a small guy, trying to change the world and he struggles every day with financial insecurities and too many responsibilities. Pairing him so early with a privileged, super spoiled, white industrialist whose family made their money from manufacturing weapons (!) is just very sad. But I'm sure Marvel fans don't care, because Spider-Man's eyes moved just like in the comic books...

Marvel movies are hyper-capitalism, literally and IDEOLOGICALLY! At least Singer tries to give us a message, besides: rich people are cool and charitable.

Last edited:
Marvel already killed Spider-Man's character in his first appearance for me. I don't get why people are so excited about this Spider-Man? It's ridiculous to belief that this Peter Parker is any closer to the comic book version than movies before. But this is the common narrative we are getting online. Marvel is having very good marketing telling these lies and dumb fanboys just play along with their narrative. "UUUUH Marvel movies are just like the comic books" THEY ARE NOT.

Pairing Peter Parker with weapon mogul Tony Stark is character suicide for me!

How much money did Peter get for his job in Germany fighting Captain America from Tony Stark? This Marvel Cinematic Universe Peter Parker will NEVER have to work for the Daily Bugle while taking care of his old aunt, while going to school and trying to be a superhero. That's what makes Spider-Man so special. He is a small guy, trying to change the world. Pairing him so early with a privileged, super spoiled white industrialist whose family got their money from manufacturing weapons is just very sad. But I'm sure Marvel fans don't care, because Spider-Man's eyes moved just like in the comic books...
giphy.gif

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is probably more entertaining to watch than Spider-Man 4 and half of MCU films especially as an X-Men fan like me, but as a film, it is inferior than those films. But at least, its better than all Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Punisher and DCEU films.

Spider-Man 4? Why are you calling it that? There was never a SM4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back