Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 43

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha. Bizarre, that.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here who has even said that. From my experience, things are more likely to turn sour once someone praises the MCU and/or suggests that Fox take some notes. That seems to be the most sensitive subject around here.

Settle down champ. It's popcorn entertainment.

Mystique's rise to mutant legend was okay with me. It seemed like a logical extension after DOFP, and the fall out from it was a tidy way to explain Lawrence being out of make-up.

The leader of the X-Men thing did not sit well though. Being back at the mansion felt like character regression.

There are people all the time who say x films that isn't deadpool or sometime first class are crap.the user going around saying rami spider-man trilogy and X_Men films aren't marvel films proves the point.anyway good thing i finally ignored anti-fox or anti-singer films and been watching daredevil on netflix.

DIsney could always return the money it got from DOFP and deadpool since they aren't marvel films:woot:

There are people all the time who say x films that isn't deadpool or sometime first class are crap

That's true actually I did recently watch a MovieBob vid on youtube and he was slating everything bar those two. Was an interesting watch, though obviously I didn't agree.

I haven't listen to the audio commentary yet. I have to ask, is it worth the prize of a DVD?

I'm not really interested to hear self-congratulatory Singer/Kinberg talk about how fantastic all the actors/actresses are, if this is the case...

I'd say probably not. I like a Singer commentary and it wasn't bad by any means, but I don't really remember anything from it. The making of feature was pretty good though.

Last edited:
Well Apocalypse didn't make it into the Razzie Shortlist for 2016, not that i thought it would but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Batman vs Superman seems to be the favorite for a Razzie appearing in almost every category with suicide squad and Independence Day: Resurgence.

Last edited:
I haven't listen to the audio commentary yet. I have to ask, is it worth the prize of a DVD?

I'm not really interested to hear self-congratulatory Singer/Kinberg talk about how fantastic all the actors/actresses are, if this is the case...
The only thing I really remember is that Singer kept talking about other stuff during the few scenes that Storm had in this movie, and that Kinberg actually showed respect for her character.

I'd say it was, but I always like a film commentary when those speaking break down the movie- even the two commentaries on the Deadpool DVD do as much while still be an entertaining listen. There's a lot of talk about scenes that had to be cut for time, Singer talking about his faults people have given him in the past for not going all the way comic book like the MCU has done, casting...and what you'd expect from a commentary: intention of scenes and such.

I just re-read Morrison's PLANET X. Magneto's agenda and rhetoric here really reminds me of En Saba Nur in "X:A" (he hates the humans for using machines and want to destroy the earth with his magnetic power where only the strong can survive). I bet Kinberg read Morrison's New X-Men run. I doubt that he really understood what made this run so utterly fantastic but he still seem to have got inspired by it. Also in X3 there has been a direct quote from the PLANET X comic book: "Charles always wanted to build bridges." (also visually of course very similar to Magneto destroying all the bridges in New York in the comic book.)

X-Men+147-17.jpg

That gives me a little hope with Kinberg writing the next X-Men movie because Morrison's interpretation of Jean Grey and the Phoenix is really amazing.

4068390-new+x-men+v2001+%23148+-+planet+x+-+part+3_+survivor+type+(2003_12)+-+page+13.jpg

Last edited:
Well Apocalypse didn't make it into the Razzie Shortlist for 2016, not that i thought it would but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Batman vs Superman seems to be the favorite for a Razzie appearing in almost every category with suicide squad and Independence Day: Resurgence.

It didn't deserve any razzie nom. Way better than DC's dumpster fires.

X3 and Origins didn't even get Razzie nominations, so no surprise here. Though Razzie should finally give Simon Kinberg some recognition.

I am sure its driving the DC fans nuts, 8 nominations for BVS alone.

Last edited:
Plenty of DC fans were disappointed in those films as well. I don't think many are exactly asking for the same quality for the follow ups.

Last edited:
Just watched this again.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Men film series and specifically the films that Bryan Singer has directed or helped to craft the story (X-Men, X2: X-Men: United, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days Of Future Past and X-Men: Apocalypse).

Still, I recognize that X-Men: Apocalypse is probably the weakest of those five films.

I think there was an easy way to change that. I don't usually think that splitting a story into two films is the way to go, but here I think it would be.

With a story and a character as big as Apocalypse, setting out to tell his back story, building his team of horsemen, etc is a lot to achieve while combining it with the stories of the Xavier, Magneto, Raven, and the younger X-Men as well as doing things like returning to Alkali Lake ... There was just so much story and story possibility in this film. Probably too much.

If you split this film into two parts -- the first part can be much of what the final film was:
- Establish Apocalypse's origin
- Re-introduce all the main players
- Apocalypse recruits his horsemen
- He attacks the mansion and abducts Charles
- The X-kids are taken to Alkali Lake

All of this could still happen -- but you would have time to add things to the story:
- How did Wolverine get back with Stryker and what's Mystique's part in that?
And you could really let these events unfold a little more slowly and give each horseman a little more time to get their motivations (looking at you, Psylocke).

I'd also not make Angel a horseman in the first film.
Instead -- cast an A-list star as Warren Worthington III. Have him already an established X-Men at the jump of the film. Give him the former billionaire playboy persona, etc. Make him beloved by all of the students at the school. Make him charming and incredibly likable.

In the second act of Part I, have one of Apocalypse's four horsemen killed in battle. This way, at the start of the third act, Warren goes missing. This gives the opportunity to end the film on the reveal that he was abducted by Apocalypse and we end with seeing that he's been transformed into Archangel and is truly evil and different from the character we've gotten to know thus far -- making him more scary and raising the stakes.

Warrens' transformation into Archangel should have weight. It's not a box to be checked. Singer and Kinberg definitely dropped the ball on that in the film, and I think the desire to give fans what they want before it's actually ready to happen is the problem. Warren has to be a character you love. He has to be a character who represents all of the best of the X-Men, so when he is transformed into Archangel and "Death" it's painful to see him pitted against his former teammates.

Most movies, while acknowledging the larger universe, should be contained to stand-alone films. But a story and character as big as the one they were trying to tell in Apocalypse needed a larger canvas. As it stands, it's still a solid film but it's a shame of what it could have been.

-R

^ maybe a 2 part film would have been the answer but I still think they could have achieved a great film like DOFP in 1 runtime. The main problem of the film is on the villains side. Not enough motivation, explanation, horsemen origin/involvement and weak characterisation. The heros arcs were fine.

With a story and a character as big as Apocalypse, setting out to tell his back story, building his team of horsemen, etc is a lot to achieve while combining it with the stories of the Xavier, Magneto, Raven, and the younger X-Men as well as doing things like returning to Alkali Lake ... There was just so much story and story possibility in this film. Probably too much.

If you split this film into two parts -- the first part can be much of what the final film was:
- Establish Apocalypse's origin
- Re-introduce all the main players
- Apocalypse recruits his horsemen
- He attacks the mansion and abducts Charles
- The X-kids are taken to Alkali Lake
A lesson in time management and trimming the fat.
Apocalypse's origin was fine - it's considered one of the best parts of this portrayal
They've done a decent-good job re-introducing the key players
Horseman recruitment only slightly needed more development for half of them
Most developed to Practically ran"dumb" pick​
Magneto - Storm - Angel - Psylocke​
Absolutely overdid Quicksilver's moment
Alkaki Lake is another very drawn out scene
You get the necessity being the military response, the X-kids learning to team up/save their mentors, Quicksilver revealing his secret, and getting geared up...
but it ultimately boiled down to throwing in this other fanservice for the sake of fanservice

Nope. A lot of deleted scenes never get an official release. There were s lot from Dofp too.

The most notable deleted sequence I can't believe we haven't seen is this:

slide-x-men-apocalypse-ciclope.jpg

This is such a cool image, apparently cool enough to use everywhere (including on the back of the Blu Ray) and they didn't show it??? That's a bit disappointing.

I have picture of it being used as a poster for a bus stop stand.

It's used on the advertising inside the Blu Ray too. Singer mentioned it a couple of times as well. Strange that it fell by the way-side. Maybe it looked terrible in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"