Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will agree the movie is forgettable and a huge step down for the franchise. But seeing it again it does have a few moments that really work well: the death of Magneto's family, the missile/Beethoven scene, the Quicksilver scene, Phoenix at the end, the Danger Room. I would even include the mall scene if it wasn't (sigh) cut out.

There was a really good movie in here somewhere, it just needed a better writer to structure it out and find it.

I agree with all but the QS scene.. it felt very off to me... and incredibly cartoony... and not in a good way. I felt they tried to recapture the DOFP scene and failed . The cgi during it wasn't good either...

Enjoyed the film and just finished viewing...

I was actually going to say the CGI... was off... to me...

Side note... Scott and Kurt still my favorite characters. :hmr:

I gotta say Scott Jean and Kurt were really about the only enjoyable parts. With an emphasis on Scott and jean... but I fear that may just be nostalgia.

Cody did however do a great job with kurt

OK I take that back, just watched the deleted mall scene... THAT was the best thing about the movie... and they were idiots for cutting it... that was fantastic

On a rewatch the only scene that works for me is the missile sequence, but the Stan Lee cameo couldn't be more misplaced. That said, it's the only time I'm actually engaged and it's the only time I find Apocalypse to be interesting.

I think singer really missed an opportunity to at least show the aftermath of apocalypses terror... I mean, the world should fear and hate mutants more than ever.. and the only thing we got of the aftermath was Xavier saying the world is almost done rebuilding... umm... I don't think things get fixed just like that... there was no weight.

Even jeans firebird didn't have much weight... the whole film felt like singer finally said, ok people, I'll give you everything you've wanted from this franchise finally.. but you're not going to like it, it's why I held off...

(Finally giving us the firebird, young Scott, Jean, storm, nightcrawler, another QS scene, wolverines weapon X moment, action scenes, comic books elements, the mansion exploading.. etc... but none of it had much impact or weight.. havoks death didn't even feel all that important other than to scott..

The whole film jist felt very phoned in... very X3, Spider-Man 3, and jeans joke about the 3rd film always being the worst... it was way Meta because it described this film perfectly as well..it's almost as if singer knew it'd suck. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo weird.

Last edited:
I think singer really missed an opportunity to at least show the aftermath of apocalypses terror... I mean, the world should fear and hate mutants more than ever.. and the only thing we got of the aftermath was Xavier saying the world is almost done rebuilding... umm... I don't think things get fixed just like that... there was no weight.

Even jeans firebird didn't have much weight... the whole film felt like singer finally said, ok people, I'll give you everything you've wanted from this franchise finally.. but you're not going to like it, it's why I held off...

(Finally giving us the firebird, young Scott, Jean, storm, nightcrawler, another QS scene, wolverines weapon X moment, action scenes, comic books elements, the mansion exploading.. etc... but none of it had much impact or weight.. havoks death didn't even feel all that important other than to scott..

The whole film jist felt very phoned in... very X3, Spider-Man 3, and jeans joke about the 3rd film always being the worst... it was way Meta because it described this film perfectly as well..it's almost as if singer knew it'd suck. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo weird.

I agree with all of it. But I have to say that I like the first 1 hour and 20 minutes of the movie after rewatching it. For me this movie collapses after/or better with Quicksilver's scene. It felt like they were just stopping to have a real script and plot after Apocalypse abducted Charles. The editing became also very awkward after this scene (they should have cut out a lot from the action in the thrid act). There were some fantastic parts in the first part of the movie in my eyes and every X-Men fan who is not getting utterly excited by the final sequence in the danger is lying!!! :cwink:

Sorry, but in my eyes a mediocre Singer X-Men movie is still better than most of the comic book movies we get every year by other companies...after Days of Future Past, X-Men Apocalypse was just such a huge disappointment.

I agree with all , but there's no way this film is better than most of the Marvel Studios films... it's not even a biased thing.. because deadpool, x2, DOFP, the wolverine, and xmen, and even first class easily rank right there with them. At best... it's maybe the dark world or Iron man 2 territory... but those films at least had cohesive stories...

For me this is tied with X3 and spiderman 3, sitting right below the dark world, and right above batman vs superman and suicide squad. There's still plenty of worst films.. but this was just really bad for an x-film

I agree with you on where the film fell apart. But I also rolled my eyes in about every scene apocalypse was in... it took me out of the film the way he just quickly collected everyone. And ironically... the logic of finding the best of the best was very awkward... I know why Psylocke and Angel were chosen for the film, but... there was absolutely nothing to indicate why they were indicated as the creme Dela creme......

It just didn't make sense story wise by their own logic of story telling.

I agree with all of it. But I have to say that I like the first 1 hour and 20 minutes of the movie after rewatching it. For me this movie collapses after/or better with Quicksilver's scene. It felt like they were just stopping to have a real script and plot after Apocalypse abducted Charles. The editing became also very awkward after this scene (they should have cut out a lot from the action in the thrid act). There were some fantastic parts in the first part of the movie in my eyes and every X-Men fan who is not getting utterly excited by the final sequence in the danger is lying!!! :cwink:

Sorry, but in my eyes a mediocre Singer X-Men movie is still better than most of the comic book movies we get every year by other companies...after Days of Future Past, X-Men Apocalypse was just such a huge disappointment.

That coincides with the Weapon X segment which makes sense. That is a detour that came out of left field and made the film and plot deviate and not in an interesting direction

I agree with all , but there's no way this film is better than most of the Marvel Studios films... it's not even a biased thing.. because deadpool, x2, DOFP, the wolverine, and xmen, and even first class easily rank right there with them. At best... it's maybe the dark world or Iron man 2 territory... but those films at least had cohesive stories...

For me this is tied with X3 and spiderman 3, sitting right below the dark world, and right above batman vs superman and suicide squad. There's still plenty of worst films.. but this was just really bad for an x-film

I agree with you on where the film fell apart. But I also rolled my eyes in about every scene apocalypse was in... it took me out of the film the way he just quickly collected everyone. And ironically... the logic of finding the best of the best was very awkward... I know why Psylocke and Angel were chosen for the film, but... there was absolutely nothing to indicate why they were indicated as the creme Dela creme......

It just didn't make sense story wise by their own logic of story telling.

Agree 100% with all of this.

I guess we have to agree to disagree then because for me X-Men: Apocalypse is definitely not worse than mediocre movies like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor The Dark World, Ant-Man, Captain America 1, Hulk and Age of Ultron...Marvel produced a ton of very mediocre movies in my eyes and the very good ones are the tiny minority.

I guess we have to agree to disagree then because for me X-Men: Apocalypse is definitely not worse than mediocre movies like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor The Dark World, Ant-Man, Captain America 1, Hulk and Age of Ultron...Marvel produced a ton of very mediocre movies in my eyes and the very good ones are the tiny minority.
I think Ant Man and AoU are definitely better than it. Its on the same level as CA and Thor:DW for me. Yeah it beats the rest

right now even another film with apocalypse cast is up In the air much less one with original cast.

Seriously, they retconned timeline since 1973 but we will never see Marsden or Jackman in their Cyclops/Wolverine's costume in new timeline, I'm pissed

They retconned with DOFP just to make spin-off movies ???

Jean, Cyke, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Rogue, Kitty, Colossus are official x-men + cannonball with upcoming New Mutants
It would be interesting to see some cameos in future movies if they dont make another OT cast movie, and if Kurt and Jubilee stay x-men some decades after Apocalypse

That coincides with the Weapon X segment which makes sense. That is a detour that came out of left field and made the film and plot deviate and not in an interesting direction

The Weapon X stuff stops the movie dead in its tracks.

I think Ant Man and AoU are definitely better than it. Its on the same level as CA and Thor:DW for me. Yeah it beats the rest

For me I would put Apoc above TDW, IM 2 and 3, TIH and AOU. I enjoyed Apoc a lot would take the titular character over the majority of MCU villains also.

All MCU films are better than X-Men: Apocalypse. Then comparing it to Sony's Spider-Man films, it is only better than the 5th Spider-Man film.

All MCU films are better than X-Men: Apocalypse. Then comparing it to Sony's Spider-Man films, it is only better than the 5th Spider-Man film.

I mostly agree. The only difference is that I do like XMA better than the 4th Spider-Man film as well.

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is probably more entertaining to watch than Spider-Man 4 and half of MCU films especially as an X-Men fan like me, but as a film, it is inferior than those films. But at least, its better than all Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Punisher and DCEU films.

Yes we will. Because that's laughable by even standard film making. This was probably the most "popcorny" xmen film yet

Spider man 3 was a mess and utter garbage. It embaressed me more than amazing 2 did.

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is probably more entertaining to watch than Spider-Man 4 and half of MCU films especially as an X-Men fan like me, but as a film, it is inferior than those films. But at least, its better than all Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Punisher and DCEU films.

I'd give you the entertaining part if we are counting the mall scene

Yes we will. Because that's laughable by even standard film making. This was probably the most "popcorny" xmen film yet
Eh, Last Stand still holds that crown.
Apocalypse has its "popcorny" moments, no question.

my problem with most of Marvel's movies is that they have NO artistry. They are mainstream productions without soul (without a view (Netflix) exceptions). Very typical feel good Disney.

Sorry but at least Singer and Ottman know how to craft a social commentary in their movies and use the sci fi genre to articulate something about society...Singer and Ottman as a team know how to produce emotions in their audiences and this is very rare in mainstream cinema.

All of Marvel's heroes are also the same character: Star Lord, Iron Man, Captain America, Ant Man, Hawkeye, Doctor Strange etc. etc. etc. All of the same are exactly the same cocky white, straight male character with the same humor and easily replaceable with each other.

my problem with most of Marvel's movies is that they have NO artistry. They are mainstream productions without soul (without a view (Netflix) exceptions). Very typical feel good Disney.

Sorry but at least Singer and Ottman know how to craft a social commentary in their movies and use the sci fi genre to articulate something about society...Singer and Ottman as a team know how to produce emotions in their audiences and this is very rare in mainstream cinema.

All of Marvel's heroes are also the same character: Star Lord, Iron Man, Captain America, Ant Man, Hawkeye, Doctor Strange etc. etc. etc. All of the same are exactly the same cocky white, straight male character with the same humor and easily replaceable with each other.
I don't want this to be a Marvel beat down, because I do enjoy some of those films, but my biggest problem is the character development for the major characters. Black Widow, War Machine, Nick Fury, Bucky, and even Captain America aren't that well developed imo. I feel like I barely know anything about these people, which is strange to say especially for someone like Captain America whose appeared in 5 films already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"