Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Kiberg say he was very hands on with writing the action sequences? And what's up with the villains being knocked out when they knocked their head into something. It looks really lame. While Storm and Cyclops were just blasting each other but nothing really happened, they didn't hurt each other or talk and it ended because Kurt was teleporting everybody to the jet.

I'm not surprised if this is notgonna be action packed. I just don't eXpect that with Fox's X-Men. I feel like they have always limithe action one way or another.

The Dark Phoenix Saga had a lot of action so action is the last thing this movie should lack IMHO.

I agree that Apocalypse not being great towards the end with his character. It is over exaggerated sometimes but there were strange directions they decided to go with these characters specifically Apocalypse himself like first casting Oscar Issac was just a mistake fe.

Didn't Kiberg say he was very hands on with writing the action sequences? And what's up with the villains being knocked out when they knocked their head into something. It looks really lame. While Storm and Cyclops were just blasting each other but nothing really happened, they didn't hurt each other or talk and it ended because Kurt was teleporting everybody to the jet.

I'm not surprised if this is notgonna be action packed. I just don't eXpect that with Fox's X-Men. I feel like they have always limithe action one way or another.

Kinberg himself has stated on video when he's writing descriptive chunks for action scenes, he never writes more than 3-4 lines like most other screenwriters because he knows the stunt/choreography team, second unit director & storyboard artist are going to play a huge role in shaping the sequence. You've been told this many times.

When Kinberg says he's "hands on" writing action, he stated he's describing the tone and mood the action scene will convey in one sentence- for no more than up to four total. Not describing every minute detail. The few lines will tell the stunt team and second unit director what he's looking for, then they create a choreography around that based on the director's approval. It's the director who will decide how the action will unfold in detail on screen.

Kinberg himself has stated on video when he's writing descriptive chunks for action scenes, he never writes more than 3-4 lines like most other screenwriters because he knows the stunt/choreography team, second unit director & storyboard artist are going to play a huge role in shaping the sequence. You've been told this many times.

When Kinberg says he's "hands on" writing action, he stated he's describing the tone and mood the action scene will convey in one sentence- for no more than up to four total. Not describing every minute detail. The few lines will tell the stunt team and second unit director what he's looking for, then they create a choreography around that based on the director's approval. It's the director who will decide how the action will unfold in detail on screen.

Do you have a link of this video?

That Den of Geek interview that was brought up a few pages ago says the opposite of what you're describing here. Granted Kinberg saying one thing in one interview and something else in another is hardly a surprise any more.

When it comes to the action sequences, where do they come in the writing process? Do you write around them, or are they integral to your story?

No, I write them. Part of the fun for me is writing the action sequences. I'm like a geek that grew up playing with Star Wars toys and creating action sequences, essentially, with toys. So now I get to do that in my mind, and eventually it manifests as something sort of real, and then the computer makes it seem really real. But there's a lot of people who are involved in actually crafting and manifesting those sequences.

The most important thing for me in an action sequences is, you understand the characters' intention and the challenges the characters are going to have to face. What the character story is within the action sequence. Then I'll write it in a way that excites me visually, and then by the time it gets to the theatre, it's now gone through me and the director talking about it, the director and me and the second unit director who's going to have to shoot most of the physical real-life in-camera action, the visual effects department that creates that, the pre-vis department that's also involved. So there's a tonne of people. You're talking about hundreds of people who are involved in creating and completing an action sequence in a movie. But it does start on the page. I don't write around it. Some writers do - some writers will say, you know, "then they fight and this person wins." But I like it. I get so immersed when I'm writing that it would be hard for me to cheat anywhere. I really write the movie that I'm imagining in my head.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...-interview-x-men-apocalypse-deadpool-and-more

Cool story bro!

Do you have a link of this video?

That Den of Geek interview that was brought up a few pages ago says the opposite of what you're describing here. Granted Kinberg saying one thing in one interview and something else in another is hardly a surprise any more.

I posted the video in The Official Simon Kinberg thread on the third page I believe (called Writers on Genre: Action-Adventure/Thriller published by Writer's Guild Foundation). I see no one bothered to watch it. They start talking about writing action sequences on 51:40 through 1:00:17.

55:12 explain about the few lines of description written.

I'll just post it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyCubd8PI_Q

Last edited:
When it comes to the action sequences, where do they come in the writing process? Do you write around them, or are they integral to your story?

No, I write them. Part of the fun for me is writing the action sequences. I'm like a geek that grew up playing with Star Wars toys and creating action sequences, essentially, with toys. So now I get to do that in my mind, and eventually it manifests as something sort of real, and then the computer makes it seem really real. But there's a lot of people who are involved in actually crafting and manifesting those sequences.

The most important thing for me in an action sequences is, you understand the characters' intention and the challenges the characters are going to have to face. What the character story is within the action sequence. Then I'll write it in a way that excites me visually, and then by the time it gets to the theatre, it's now gone through me and the director talking about it, the director and me and the second unit director who's going to have to shoot most of the physical real-life in-camera action, the visual effects department that creates that, the pre-vis department that's also involved. So there's a tonne of people. You're talking about hundreds of people who are involved in creating and completing an action sequence in a movie. But it does start on the page. I don't write around it. Some writers do - some writers will say, you know, "then they fight and this person wins." But I like it. I get so immersed when I'm writing that it would be hard for me to cheat anywhere. I really write the movie that I'm imagining in my head.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...-interview-x-men-apocalypse-deadpool-and-more

Cool story bro!

That doesn't dismiss what I said. Understanding the characters intention is not spelling out in detail every action move. It's setting tone. Which can be said in a few lines. Kinberg very clearly states a lot of people are involved in creating the sequences.

I posted the video in The Official Simon Kinberg thread on the third page I believe (called Writers on Genre: Action-Adventure/Thriller published by Writer's Guild Foundation). I see no one bothered to watch it. They start talking about writing action sequences on 51:40 through 1:00:17.

55:12 explain about the few lines of description written.

I'll just post it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyCubd8PI_Q

No wonder no one watched your linked video. Between Goyer, Kinberg and Penn, it's a who's who of some of the most hated comic book movie writers.

Last edited:
No wonder no one watched your linked video. Between Goyer, Kinberg and Penn, it's a who's who of some of the most hated comic book movie writers.

If you watch the video from the chunk I highlighted, it verifies exactly what I said, so.....

So how does that video interview mesh with the DenOfGeek interview? LOL

So how does that video interview mesh with the DenOfGeek interview? LOL

He never says he describes every detail of the action in that interview that I'm aware of. He said the most important thing for him in an action sequence is, you understand the characters' intention and the challenges the characters are going to have to face. What the character story is within the action sequence. That doesn't mean he's not writing the action, but rather the descriptions are not long. He's not writing every detail. He said clearly in the interview it will filter through many people by the time it reaches theaters just like he did in the video.

That doesn't dismiss what I said. Understanding the characters intention is not spelling out in detail every action move. It's setting tone. Which can be said in a few lines. Kinberg very clearly states a lot of people are involved in creating the sequences.

A lot of people here don't understand script writing. Laying out a scene and expressing how you think it should go is completely separate from execution by the director and vfx department. Need I remind everyone the Phoenix Raptor was supposed to be in X3? Zak Penn and Kinberg showed there final drafts of the script describing it on the Xverse.com site (now dismantled). He's been consistent some are just not taking what he's saying into context in short: there are more than one cook in the kitchen at any given time. Everyone's hands touch a film production especially at this size why some here are trying to give him full credit for the success or failing of a film is mind boggling.

A lot of people here don't understand script writing. Laying out a scene and expressing how you think it should go is completely separate from execution by the director and vfx department. Need I remind everyone the Phoenix Raptor was supposed to be in X3? Zak Penn and Kinberg showed there final drafts of the script describing it on the Xverse.com site (now dismantled). He's been consistent some are just not taking what he's saying into context in short: there are more than one cook in the kitchen at any given time. Everyone's hands touch a film production especially at this size why some here are trying to give him full credit for the success or failing of a film is mind boggling.

A lot of people don't understand the Hollywood system of film-making, which is another beast unto itself. But one thing is clear: with Dark Phoenix, Kinberg will be responsible for the success or failure of the film because there are fewer people filtered down the line. He's the only writer as well as director. He still has to deal with Studio execs/financiers and other producers, but he controls the ship creatively at this point.

I'm speaking only for myself (and not of other forum members) when I say I am not giving him FULL credit (or blame) for the success (or failure) for a film.

But Cktopl (and others on here) would have us believe that he is blameless in that we, as audience members, haven't seen anything from his filmography to judge his future endeavours.

He's not blameless, but people don't understand the level of control of a screenwriter. With Kinberg, he's been co-writing for much of his career. Dark Phoenix is the first since the beginning of his career where he can be fairly judged on his script-writing AS WELL AS its execution because he now has full control over where the story can go as director. Remember, screenwriting is often a collaboration unless you're directing your own script. This current scenario is THE perfect stage for getting an unfiltered view of Kinberg's work (for good or bad....we'll know for sure).

Oooh about 7 months left until Dark Phoenix. I will not be watching it in theaters unless it gets good reviews.. The Apocalypse reviews were spot on and I ain't wasting a penny on this if it's crap. You don't buy ****** products.

Definitely!

As for Kinberg, he shouldn't be credited for any of the faults of the bad films he was credited. :o which makes me wonder why Fox keeps hiring him. Well its always the director's fault anyway...

He's not blameless, but people don't understand the level of control of a screenwriter. With Kinberg, he's been co-writing for much of his career. Dark Phoenix is the first since the beginning of his career where he can be fairly judged on his script-writing AS WELL AS its execution because he now has full control over where the story can go as director. Remember, screenwriting is often a collaboration unless you're directing your own script.

No. Most sensible people understand that a lot of things can happen from page to screen.

But at the same time, most sensible people can look at someone's writing credits and call a spade a spade. Or in this case, call a hack a hack.

Or maybe you think Kinberg just has the worst luck in directors? Poor guy...

This current scenario is THE perfect stage for getting an unfiltered view of Kinberg's work (for good or bad....we'll know for sure).

I think it's safe to say most people on here were "perfect"ly fine not finding out what an unfiltered Kinberg work looks like.
Or at the very least, not have that unfiltered work be of characters he's already previously butchered.

Last edited:
Yeah saying a guy is a hack is totally sensible while saying someone has made mistakes but has never had so much control so if they mess up this time it's truly their fault alone is what, nonsense?:o

just because someone gives a counterargument to yours doesn't make them naive or blind. Some here are so hellbent on vilifying a man they don't know personally they ignore any evidence to the contrary.

Yeah saying a guy is a hack is totally sensible while saying someone has made mistakes but has never had so much control so if they mess up this time it's truly their fault alone is what, nonsense?:o

Fine he's a writing hack only. Let's find out if he's also a directing hack.

just because someone gives a counterargument to yours doesn't make them naive or blind. Some here are so hellbent on vilifying a man they don't know personally they ignore any evidence to the contrary.

What does knowing Kinberg personally (or not knowing, as the case may be) have to do with being able to judge his work?

So on top of not being allowed to judge Kinberg because he's never had full control of a production, I'm also not allowed to judge his work because I don't know him personally??? Ugh, Darnit!

And what evidence to the contrary am I supposedly ignoring are you talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinberg is a great 'facilitator' of talent in my eyes. I think that can become very handy being a director.

He cannot write **** obviously but if he is smart he will have a good ghostwriter and creative team helping him out.

Kinberg is a great 'facilitator' of talent in my eyes. I think that can become very handy being a director.

He cannot write **** obviously but if he is smart he will have a good ghostwriter and creative team helping him out.

Kinberg has some mutant power of persuasion.Not sure how he was able to get Christopher Nolan's regular movie composer and editor. The dude actually went for Angelina Jolie.....:eek:

Kinberg has some mutant power of persuasion.Not sure how he was able to get Christopher Nolan's regular movie composer and editor. The dude actually went for Angelina Jolie.....:eek:

I think this was only a marketing campaign to get Jessica Chastain to sign. lol But yes, I think he knows how to select good talent. Let's hope he also knows his own lack of talent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"