Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could still make the release date. thats if Marvel really would throw it on a streaming platform at all.

Last edited:
Well its release date is June 7th, 2019 so that may be before Marvel even gets it. so it could still get a release date. thats if Marvel really would throw it on a streaming platform.

Unless you are saying that FOX would do that

But new mutants were not postponed to August 2, 2019?

But new mutants were not postponed to August 2, 2019?

Oh no you are right i was looking at Gambits which is claimed to be pushed back to June 7th, 2019.

Either way i wouldn't rule out new mutants to get a theatrical release.

Last edited:
Oh no you are right i was looking at Gambits which is claimed to be pushed back to June 7th, 2019.

Either way i wouldn't rule out new mutants to get a theatrical release.

I also hope the movie is released in theaters.
I think it would be something very different, a heroic movie with touches of horror, I hope they are fair to the actors and the director and let the audience evaluate it.

Last edited:
XMen had a lot of potential (much like Game of Thrones) to continue to be a great franchise. If only Singer had made XMen 3. Better yet, if only they had given Singer a chance at making an X4: Apocalypse like they had planned. Too many strikes, man.
I think X4 could've had Cyclops turn out to be alive, replaced Jean with Emma Frost, and Xavier being revealed to be alive but hidden by Magneto in Genosha like Wolverine and the X-Men. That maybe could've worked.

I also hope the movie is released in theaters.
I think it would be something very different, a heroic movie with touches of horror, I hope they are fair to the actors and the director and let the audience evaluate it.

Personally i think they will still release it aslong as its not terrible and doesn't puts them in a desperate spot.

They may just keep it under the FOX logo which wouldn't mean they couldn't do their own thing after if they so chose too.

Then of course you also have X-Force which is also claimed to being filmed in october so who knows when that will be released.

I think X4 could've had Cyclops turn out to be alive, replaced Jean with Emma Frost, and Xavier being revealed to be alive but hidden by Magneto in Genosha like Wolverine and the X-Men. That maybe could've worked.

After TLS, I'd still expect Cyclops to be dead. Storm is now the headmistress and Beast could, but definitely not a certainty to pop up since he's got his gov't job. What they supposedly had in the docket, according to Zack Penn, for First Class before they merged the various origin scripts
was the Young X-Men - Kitty, Iceman, Colossus, and probably Angel.

Its a Visual Cue.

Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. But you can't deny they lost the connection to the original films a lot. They're supposed to be prequels and, when they throw in McAvoy's Professor X along with Mystique and Apocalypse Quicksilver and a bunch of other flashy stuff, they start looking more like clowns than superheroes, maybe cosplayish.

I feel the first films gave us something with a bit more substance and less of a focus on the "let's all pretend we have superpowers."

Anyhow, I'm joining the fans who want a universe with a mature team of X-Men members at its center, not a core-team composed of teenagers. I mean, sure, bring in X-23 or a young Jubilee, but not the whole team, man.
And make prequels for as long as you want. I think this new cast is great and would shine more if they had more character development. But first, they should give us a mature team in the present.

Last edited:
I mean, what's the point of the current prequels? Why bring in Nightcrawler? Did his character have grow in some way as part of the overall plot? Did Cyke? Storm? Beast? Psylocke? Angel? Even Pietro who sets out to meet his father Magneto? That wrapped up nicely, didn't it? I mean, they're literally just there to look cool and play superhero like little kids.

x1 and x2 moved characters forward as part of the overall plot so that we could see either a change in them, their influence on others, more about who they are as an individual, etc. Take the scene where Pyro burns the cops at Iceman's house. That is a big jump from his student role in X1. He eventually ends up with Magneto at the end of X2. Then there's Rogue who manages to neutralize Pyro and shows signs of what she is deep down, a mother-effin' superhero and she eventually ends up in an X-suit at the end of the film. And there's a sh**load of action packed into it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfEOlFVSYcA&t=7s
[YT]MfEOlFVSYcA&t=7s[/YT]

It's little things like that. Interactions between Storm and Nightcrawler, Rogue and Iceman, Cyke and Jean, Jean and Wolverine, magneto and Charles, Mystique and Nightcrawler, Stryker and Charles... and it was all interwoven into a really good plot. Where's that gone as well?

Last edited:
I mean, what's the point of the current prequels? Why bring in Nightcrawler? Did his character have grow in some way as part of the overall plot? Did Cyke? Storm? Beast? Psylocke? Angel? Even Pietro who sets out to meet his father Magneto? That wrapped up nicely, didn't it? I mean, they're literally just there to look cool and play superhero like little kids.

x1 and x2 moved characters forward as part of the overall plot so that we could see either a change in them, their influence on others, more about who they are as an individuals, etc.

Could've sworn I made the case before for most of these characters you just mentioned.
Any who, that's why this whole "feels more like a drama" will be the biggest sticking point to reference back to
1. because Kinberg plays fast & loose with that since there's always so much action to cut back to in his scripts
2. because the focus would have to be on the interactions & relationships between characters

Agreed, I've seen these arguments on the forums before. The issue is they don't improve with each new movie we get in the main installments

These characters, especially in the Prequel films, have their arcs within the movie (with varying degrees of success rates) and then they revert back to their former selves and have to relearn their lessons yet again in the next film.

And then there's Beast.

These characters, especially in the Prequel films, have their arcs within the movie (with varying degrees of success rates) and then they revert back to their former selves and have to relearn their lessons yet again in the next film.

And then there's Beast.
Hoult's Beast made up his mind since FC (not sure what some others were talking about on what his supposed arc was),
which is the opposite mindset of TLS Beast.
Grammar's Beast made peace with who he is.

And then there's Beast.

that's Quicksilver! Maybe they're trying to juice the relationships slowly, but it just doesn't work that way. He should have already be reunited with his father after two films, along with his sister. I mean, maybe they're thinking, introduce Quicksilver with a massive power display and a hint at who his father is in one film, then try to make Quicksilver unsuccessfully be reunited with him in a second film and have them actually reunite in a third one? A good writer would've used that card to move the plot forward somewhere in the second film.

I'm sorry I'm so negative lately. To be honest, I was just waiting to see Rogue flying around someday and having that on-off relationship with Gambit, not taking a cure to get out of being a mutant. I wanted to see Whedon's Emma Frost be a b**** until the X-Men won her over, a meaningful Archangel arc (not one wasted the way it was), Cyclops becoming a leader, etc...

I feel pathetic as a fan right now; I don't feel fans of other franchises get this damn lame online, constantly nagging about getting something decent from the franchise they're rooting for, just wasting our breath over and over and over. At least that's not the fans' fault in the end. If Fox gave a ****, they'd be keeping us fans pleased with some marketing, trailers, news, good writing...

Last edited:
I'm fairly positive the movie's crap. Not watching it. I'm sticking to the comics and hoping there's a major change for these films someday.

btw, this is coming from someone who grew up on the 90s cartoons and watched X1 on VHS, watched all the series and films thereafter, currently exploring the comics because the films just got that bad. Rogue & Gambit were always my favorite heroes.

I hear ya x-er. I too want to see the full adult xmen team but Fox signed their own fate when it released First Class. A very good film but it began the prequels phase which really limited them in terms of character handling and crossover capabilities with now Deadpool etc. And this was all a result of X3, which massively derailed the franchise.

Even though weve gotten DOFP and Logan which i think are brilliant, I would trade these in if it meant keeping the original trilogy intact and continuing that story set in the present day instead of going back to the 1960s. Heck you could still get a Logan because its set so far distant in the future. Rattner really irreversibly screwed up the X-films.

This is where I have a problem when people compare Fox with Marvel Studios. The MCU/Kevin Feige had the advantage of seeing the success and mistakes of previous comic book films. Hes then able to use that knowledge and create the precise blueprints in order for the MCU to be as big and successful as it is today. Fox went into X1 blind, not knowing that comic book films would be such a juggernaut at the box office in the current era. They didnt have the luxury of being able to plan and structure a "shared universe" - a term only recently invented. They may have had loose plans of a possible trilogy but no way an extended timeline of almost 20 years. Feige deserves alot of credit for synthesizing the MCU but without the Xmen/Spiderman/Batman series, he couldn't do it because hes already seen what works and what doesnt.

Last edited:
I hear ya x-er. I too want to see the full adult xmen team but Fox signed their own fate when it released First Class. A very good film but it began the prequels phase which really limited them in terms of character handling and crossover capabilities with now Deadpool etc. And this was all a result of X3, which massively derailed the franchise.

I feel like they knew going into X3 that they wanted to move on to making Origin movies since there wasn't much of a fight to decide what to do they just jumped directly onto planning several origin movies and who could have them.

And the "Origins" movies were technically what started the prequel phase, it just took a while for them to figure it out what they wanted to do with it.

As for crossovers with Deadpool they pretty much had the power to do that in Deadpool 2 in at least 2 possible ways but in terms of how they make the films i think its probably tough throwing characters in and out of each others films.

And then there's Beast.

One of the worst decisions by Kinberg and company was putting 10 year time jumps between each of the prequel films. It essentially turns each flick into a reboot, with little continuity between installments. I would have much preferred that they kept the series in the 60s. But if you are committed to jumping at the very least have the characters properly age between installments.

This is where I have a problem when people compare Fox with Marvel Studios. The MCU/Kevin Feige had the advantage of seeing the success and mistakes of previous comic book films.

What a lousy excuse. You're essentially blaming Feige for the terrible continuity in the X-men film franchise?

That's new. LOL

Hes then able to use that knowledge and create the precise blueprints in order for the MCU to be as big and successful as it is today.

Feige et al didn't invent continuity within a series of films. That's called sequels and spin offs. That's not rocket science.

Fox went into X1 blind, not knowing that comic book films would be such a juggernaut at the box office in the current era. They didnt have the luxury of being able to plan and structure a "shared universe" - a term only recently invented. They may have had loose plans of a possible trilogy but no way an extended timeline of almost 20 years. Feige deserves alot of credit for synthesizing the MCU but without the Xmen/Spiderman/Batman series, he couldn't do it because hes already seen what works and what doesnt.

Fox and Rothman never had faith in the X-men. That's been well documented.

Fox men has a limited audience domestically. MCU X-men, with its fresh start and with Marvel's brand, can find a lot bigger auduence.

Fox and Rothman never had faith in the X-men. That's been well documented.

PERIOD.

there was and always is something holding them back one way or another.

They didnt have 100% faith with X1
they didnt have faith in Phoenix Saga story in 2005.
they didnt have faith in moving forward with Original cast after X3.
they didnt have faith in a Storm solo movie. Still havent
they didnt have faith in Kitty leading Days of future past, it had to be Hugh Jackman.
they didnt have faith in doing X-Men: Dark Phoenix without Fassbender and Lawrence.
they didnt have faith in the impact minority characters could have worldwide and in the boxoffice.

and the list goes on and on and on.
Fox may have changed CEOs and executives over 18 years, but they havent evolved that much in their mindset and faith in X-Men true potential. They have faith in the actors (some of them), not in the actual X-Men characters as they are (in the comics). That is and will always be their biggest problem and flaw.

Hoult's Beast made up his mind since FC (not sure what some others were talking about on what his supposed arc was),
which is the opposite mindset of TLS Beast.
Grammar's Beast made peace with who he is.

What?

Yeah, Hoult’s Beast’s arc was never concluded. We see Beast walking around, seemingly comfortable being blue, at the end of DoFP. That means something has to change as, last we saw, Beast was still taking his serum to look normal. That’s not concluded at all. It’s drug on a film longer than it should have and I hope it is addressed in DP once and for all. If [blackout]Mystique dies[/blackout] they’ll have that resolution waiting and fricken’ giftwrapped for them.

In FC, he was trying to find a cure. He effs up and makes his mutation worse.
In the sequels he's found a temporary yet reliable remedy. At this point, there isn't an arc for him. If he wants to look human, he'll do so and if he's got to go beast mode, he'll do just that as well.

Contrast to Grammar's Beast who even when he's seen the effects of that kid "first-hand", pun intended, he gets a bit sentimental but would still rather be Beast.

Yeah, Hoult’s Beast’s arc was never concluded. We see Beast walking around, seemingly comfortable being blue, at the end of DoFP. That means something has to change as, last we saw, Beast was still taking his serum to look normal. That’s not concluded at all. It’s drug on a film longer than it should have and I hope it is addressed in DP once and for all. If [blackout]Mystique dies[/blackout] they’ll have that resolution waiting and fricken’ giftwrapped for them.

That's why I prefer the multiverse time theory.

Fox men has a limited audience domestically. MCU X-men, with its fresh start and with Marvel's brand, can find a lot bigger auduence.

MCU Xmen just needs to add Tony Spark all over the posters and trailers. Worked for Homecoming :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"