Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apocalypse was hampered by studio demands to get the film out on its announced date. Had Singer and Kinberg been given another year, they probably could've put out a much better film.

Here's what we know:
* Singer pitched the film as a disaster film that explored mutant origins.
* The disaster part of the film isn't evident and mutant origins aren't explored at all.
* In the original Days of Future Past post-credits scene, Apocalypse took over Magneto's body to be his new vessel (like he tried to do to Stryfe).
* Singer and Kinberg axed the original post-credits scene after they realized it was moronic.
* Singer and Kinberg decided early on that the original cast wouldn't feature in any capacity because of difficulty coordinating production on Days of Future Past.
* The movie has a much smaller budget than Days of Future Past.
* Bryan Singer got the original X-Force cancelled for X-Men Apocalypse.
* Days of Future Past had an incredible marketing campaign, Apocalypse had a completely nonexistent campaign outside of a few things here-n-there.
* The film was originally written by Dougherty, Harris and Kinberg.
* Only Kinberg is credited as screenwriter.
* The original screenplay started with a giant battle on the Nile, the film also originally featured Ship/Graymalkin/Prof.
* The original screenplay explored the Beast-Mystique relationship more in depth.
* Singer had been off set at times for Apocalypse.
* Kinberg ghost-directed a bunch of scenes in Apocalypse.
* Kinberg rewrote the screenplay into the filming of the movie.
* There's like an hour's worth of deleted scenes.

I have to give Kinberg credit, with all of that he somehow came through as a producer and not only got the film done, but under budget enough for it to make its money back by 2.5x even if it did bad domestic. I also have to give him credit, he once again showed me why he's a bad screenwriter. We don't know which scenes he ghost directed, we don't even know if those scenes made it into the film.

I do agree with you, though. Singer was the director, making the movie was definitely has job. If he couldn't make it on time, he shouldn't have made it. Maybe he thought he owed LSD or something.

-Apocalypse's production shoot was nearly the same exact length of time as Days of Future Past. They both started shooting in the same month and ended principle photography in the same month. The release dates are nearly the exact same day and month. They didn't rush it anymore than the previous film. Yet even the visual effects of Days of Future Past seem superior.

-Pitching a film doesn't mean the final version will be exactly as pitched. The purpose of a pitch is the hope of attracting development finance to fund a project. Changes will naturally occur. There's disaster in the film, it's simply not well directed. Mutant origins are hinted at, Singer ultimately chose not to focus on it.

-Shooting is based on availability. If they couldn't get any of the original cast together for longer periods of time, then that's simply the reality of the situation.

-Marketing campaigns are generally organized by the studio.

-screenwriting credits are established by Writers Guild of America and complicated, particularly credits in sequels and adaptations. Screen credits are used to determine possible future residuals (royalties). These movies likely involve arbitration because of the number of writers. Something like Dark Phoenix wouldn't since Kinberg is the only writer which is shown as "written by" who create the story and script format. Arbiters determining the percentages of credit is not done by counting lines or even the number of pages to which a writer has contributed. This information is not made public as part of the arbitration process. A 'story by' credit contributes enough to the finished product that the guild gives them a story by credit. It doesn't reveal what percentage each person contributes. 'Screenplay by' credit is the person who physically writes the script "ready to shoot" format (text version of the movie) to include all the many contributions, revisions, or rewrites from others that go into it. A writer of a story doesn't generally concern themselves with 'screenplay rules' for a standard structure. A screenplay takes a written story and translate it into a specific type of storytelling in a particular required format. Those are the differences when you see "Screenplay by" or "Story by". Screenplay simply means "blueprint" or writing in a very specific medium and format. The story is thought up and created before a screenplay document is created.

-rewrites are normally expected on all movies. All films go through several drafts. Part of Kinberg's job as scriptwriter IS to do rewrites. Every scriptwriter does this or they are fired and replaced by another writer to the studio's satisfaction. Those rewrites often include notes and revisions from executives, producers, and directors.

-Many movies have hours worth of delete scenes.

-I don't take claims of ghost directing seriously. There are other unit directors on set and Kinberg already had the job of producing the movie to focus on. Otherwise Singer would generally be replaced with another director by the studio.

Last edited:
Anywho, I wonder what role Lamar Johnson is playing. Or if he even is still in the movie.

According to that supposed plot leak on Reddit being spread around, this is what is now being said:

rubyaniel: Apparently test screen guy is Atlanta Filming, created an account and sent fake spoilers/leaks. Trying to discredit other bloggers because he wants to be "the only legit source".

DeathShrike: That seems... Far fetched.

rubyaniel: Idk, ask u/TheCourierWatches (Moderator at /r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers)

TheCourierWatches: It's true.
The spoiler guy's account has been deleted. This seems to be some type of drama spreading around:

Posted by ManaByte: Avengers 4 is NOT titled "Time War". It's another hoax from a group of idiots who are trying to discredit bloggers (and they tried to get this sub shut down yesterday).

PSA: Neither I nor DanielRPK Ever Tweeted the Title. The troll on this sub is trying to discredit legitimate sources.

Last edited:
xmenfilms confirmed the leaks, didnt you see his tweet?
so there u have it

xmenfilms confirmed the leaks, didnt you see his tweet?
so there u have it

Seems to have deleted said tweet. Xmenfilms also tweeted the following which is still up to read:

I haven’t watched the actual film itself.

I’m dying to see actual footage!
Doesn't really state where his information is coming from other than supposedly random people on the internet.

Last edited:
X-MenFilms says the leak is true goodbye world lmao.

jk didn't reddit report Deadpool 2 was a disaster? If the movie is bad I hope they'll fix it during the reshoot. Marvel won't touch Dark Phoenix in 10 years so this is the last chance we get lol.

Well there's plenty of eXcellent storylines from the Uncanny X-Men to adapt.
Honestly I'm not so bothered with most of the supposed spoilers here:

The less things Kinberg does with the likes of Storm, Nightcrawler, et al, means less clean up for whoever takes over after Kinberg. Ditto on not naming the aliens as Skrulls. I'm just greatful my favourite Southern Belle isn't anywhere near this mess.

Well they were probably planning a 2000s setting film after this one. Thank God for Rupert Murdoch for ruining whatever plans Fox has for the X-Men.

Last edited:
They apparently knew but didn't care. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

That character absolutely did not need to be Yukio. If they really wanted a gay character, Shatterstar was right there...

So as Colossus.

It's been said that both Fassbender and JLaw had to be lured back with a lot of money to sign up for this movie. Those 2 specifically.

Fassy was less than happy with his role in DOFP, so I can't see him not asking for a meatier role here. JLaw has been wishy-washy with what exactly she wants out of this franchise, so she's a toss up in that case. Would she want a bigger role or is she just here for her friend? Who tf knows with that one.

But considering the reddit spoiler mentions Storm, Nightcrawler Quicksilver get the least screen time, it's safe to say Magneto and Mystique get more time than them LOL

Its the First Class quadrilogy with Beast finally doing something since First Class.

Though I don't mind Quicksilver gets little screentime. IMO, he shouldn't even be part of the X-Men.

Even 2kt2009's friend who went to the test screening confirmed that the reddit scoop is legit.

And who even is ManaByte? Wasnt he proven wrong before? Anyway, I wish Fox didn't move the film. No amount of reshoots would save a bad film. Haven't they seen F4, SS and JL? But if they want to spend more money to this then go ahead. Lol.

Last edited:
So what are you saying? She should have as much as Cyclops and Xavier? In a film centered on Jean?
Dude, it doesn't matter which story arc they're adapting... Fox could make an adaptation of Magik's origin story and still manage to find a way to give Magneto more screen time than Storm.

Lol. Maybe they should just include Storm's name in the title to remind them that they should finally give her the spotlight or a bigger role. Lmao. Like I've said before, since Alexandra Shipp is playing the role, she won't demand a bigger role like Halle did in X3. she's also not a big actress for Fox to demand Kinberg to give Storm a bigger role, the way Fox did in X2 when Halle won an Oscar.

Having just read the reddit thread, it does feel disappointing. But the way the guy who leaked it was writing in a very childish, dismissive, pro-MCU/Anti-Fox way makes me think hes quite biased and has some sort of an agenda.

Probably the test screening was really bad and he didn't like the previous films like X3. Anyway he sounded honest.
Anywho, I wonder what role Lamar Johnson is playing. Or if he even is still in the movie.

He's probably one of those aliens. Anyway, it sounds like Dazzler would be the only new character that is based from the comics that we haven't seen before in a X-Men film, while Jessica's character [blackout] is an unnamed alien and Magneto's new minions are also unnamed. So they don't count.[/Blackout] its probably for the best that Kinberg gets to do no damage to other X-Men characters that haven't appeared in a film but at the same time, new characters would make this a lot more interesting.

Well that contradicts reports from Robert Meyer Burnett who said he knew someone who also saw the test screening and thought it was "pretty good".

Isn't the same person who thought Apocalypse was good? So unreliable. Well that pretty good sounds pretty bad right now.multiple sources have already confirmed it and that's why it's getting attention from multiple news sites. Anyway, Foxhad this coming kinberg is bad for these films, so they are just getting what they deserve for giving this person so many chances.

Even 2kt2009's friend who went to the test screening confirmed that the reddit scoop is legit.

And who even is ManaByte? Wasnt he proven wrong before? Anyway, I wish Fox didn't move the film. No amount of reshoots would save a bad film. Haven't they seen F4, SS and JL? But if they want to spend more money to this then go ahead. Lol.

Manabyte is a former IGN reporter who's source attended a test screening. He shot down earlier fake reddit leaks about the film a couple of months back. He also suggested there could be possible red herrings in the film for the test audience that will be changed prior to release regarding the identity of certain characters, like Jessica Chastain's character.

Some of what he said about Deadpool 2 test screening was accurate (like the x-force team dying, Juggernaut being cgi and his death, the wasting of Vanessa's character.

Last edited:
Isn't that the guy that had a meltdown when Deadpool 2 got good reviews? Anyway, the reedit scooper has been confirmed by multiple sources including one from this board. That's enough for me. Anyway, can't wait to see Kinberg's reaction when this all said and done. It is just embarrassing he gets to adapt Dark Phoenix again only to make another X3. Geez this might be the biggest blunder in this franchise.

psylockolussus: Isn't that the guy that had a meltdown when Deadpool 2 got good reviews?
Doesn't discount that what he claimed happened in the movie was accurate.....

psylockolussus: Anyway, the reedit scooper has been confirmed by multiple sources including one from this board. That's enough for me
If I recall, the fake reddit spoilers a few months back were enough for you. That's not saying much....

The reddit scooper has been.....deleted. Stated by the moderator to be an account that sent fake spoilers/leaks (on other movies as well). So, it doesn't say much...but whatever.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see next year's discussions:

which do you like more? X3 or Dark Phoenix?
Which is worse? Origins or Dark Phoenix?

Also that can't be fake, so are you saying 2kt2009's source that confirmed the scoop is fake as well?

Can't wait to see next year's discussions:

which do you like more? X3 or Dark Phoenix?
Which is worse? Origins or Dark Phoenix?

Also that can't be fake, so are you saying 2kt2009's source that confirmed the scoop is fake as well?

I don't know what exactly 2kt2009 source is confirming other than saying its better than Apocalypse. What I'm saying is what the moderator of that site stated.

Well lets hope the reshoots give us
colourful costumes instead of street clothes
at the very least. Sounds like the final act is
a generic boring CGI fight with aliens
. Honestly this part is very subjective, apart from The Avengers and Infinity War every mass CGI final fight has been underwhelming to me. I actually think the fight we got in X3 was pretty decent starting from moving the Golden Gate bridge. Only thing lacking was more Iceman vs Pyro and Colossus/Storm power displays.

yeah, I loved Storm and Angel's roles, awesome material! easily one of the best of the franchise
Jubilee was a highlight, almost stole every scene she was in. That Raven hero was such an inspiration. She slayed me. :o

The reddit scooper has been.....deleted. Stated by the moderator to be an account that sent fake spoilers/leaks (on other movies as well). So, it doesn't say much...but whatever.

Oooh thank god. I think we had at least 3 different sources said the movie is good: Jeremy Conrad guy (who, btw, some people in here believe everything he said about Deadpool 2 but refuse to believe DP is good), that Singer's friend and some other source I can't remember now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"