Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it kinda funny that even when something is debunked people still say “well it was believable because it was Kinberg”.. there’s never just a “oh I accept we jumped the gun without having any proof behind it whatsoever”

Just wait for something solid puhleaseeeeee, then be negative again.

So I guess the only thing we can do is wait for the official trailer and/or more promo material to see where we stand.

I need to see the whole film. I thought X3 had good trailers, while I didn't eXpect Apocalypse to be bad because of Singer and the X2 writers. But with Kinberg alone, I'd believe it when I see it. :csad:

-Apocalypse's production shoot was nearly the same exact length of time as Days of Future Past. They both started shooting in the same month and ended principle photography in the same month. The release dates are nearly the exact same day and month. They didn't rush it anymore than the previous film. Yet even the visual effects of Days of Future Past seem superior.

A rushed production doesn't always mean the movie started on time and ended on time, the fact that it did is just indicative of Kinberg's strength as a producer. In this case, it is the confirmed aforementioned rewriting of the film into production, Singer's alleged absences on set and other possible factors like you mentioned, them not being able to get the visuals done in time for the release.

-Pitching a film doesn't mean the final version will be exactly as pitched. The purpose of a pitch is the hope of attracting development finance to fund a project. Changes will naturally occur. There's disaster in the film, it's simply not well directed. Mutant origins are hinted at, Singer ultimately chose not to focus on it.

Or he did and they got deleted.

-Shooting is based on availability. If they couldn't get any of the original cast together for longer periods of time, then that's simply the reality of the situation.

That's what I said.

-Marketing campaigns are generally organized by the studio.

And boy did the studio screw the pooch.

-screenwriting credits are established by Writers Guild of America and complicated, particularly credits in sequels and adaptations. Screen credits are used to determine possible future residuals (royalties). These movies likely involve arbitration because of the number of writers. Something like Dark Phoenix wouldn't since Kinberg is the only writer which is shown as "written by" who create the story and script format. Arbiters determining the percentages of credit is not done by counting lines or even the number of pages to which a writer has contributed. This information is not made public as part of the arbitration process. A 'story by' credit contributes enough to the finished product that the guild gives them a story by credit. It doesn't reveal what percentage each person contributes. 'Screenplay by' credit is the person who physically writes the script "ready to shoot" format (text version of the movie) to include all the many contributions, revisions, or rewrites from others that go into it. A writer of a story doesn't generally concern themselves with 'screenplay rules' for a standard structure. A screenplay takes a written story and translate it into a specific type of storytelling in a particular required format. Those are the differences when you see "Screenplay by" or "Story by". Screenplay simply means "blueprint" or writing in a very specific medium and format. The story is thought up and created before a screenplay document is created.

That's true and very telling in itself.

-rewrites are normally expected on all movies. All films go through several drafts. Part of Kinberg's job as scriptwriter IS to do rewrites. Every scriptwriter does this or they are fired and replaced by another writer to the studio's satisfaction. Those rewrites often include notes and revisions from executives, producers, and directors.

Normally you aren't actually rewriting the script into production, though.

-Many movies have hours worth of delete scenes.

That's true. The original X-Men had like two hours worth.

-I don't take claims of ghost directing seriously. There are other unit directors on set and Kinberg already had the job of producing the movie to focus on. Otherwise Singer would generally be replaced with another director by the studio.

Yeah, I know you don't.

I do find it kinda funny that even when something is debunked people still say “well it was believable because it was Kinberg”.. there’s never just a “oh I accept we jumped the gun without having any proof behind it whatsoever”

Oh I never did believe it, the guy who posted it claimed not to have seen Apocalypse in one post before talking as if he did in another. He sounded very biased, but it was still believable, because Kinberg.

Kinberg has built a reputation for being a questionable writer. So I am not surprised people believed the scoop.

After watching X3, F4 and Apocalypse and being frustrated about those films, you really think people would be generous to Kinberg by giving him the benefit of the doubt... Again? You know what they say, strike three and you're out. Kinberg already hit 3 strikes and he's still here?

Anyway, no need to continue to talk bout the scoop if its fake then.

not only Dark phoenix didnt have hype this time around, but now this leak.... its pretty clear Fox is pissed right now, and this will hurt the boxoffice even more. They will take their money back, sure, they always do, but leaks like this always hurt the word of mouth and the main x-men movies currently have bad word of mouth, so... ouch.

A rushed production doesn't always mean the movie started on time and ended on time, the fact that it did is just indicative of Kinberg's strength as a producer. In this case, it is the confirmed aforementioned rewriting of the film into production, Singer's alleged absences on set and other possible factors like you mentioned, them not being able to get the visuals done in time for the release.

They got the visuals finished in time for release. The quality simply wasn't the same. That's not an indicator of it being rushed. The visual direction and style for this movie looked off. Rewriting into production aren't that unusual in the film industry.

Or he did and they got deleted
or he didn't and mutant origins were simply hinted at. Pitches aren't the same thing as final product.

That's what I said.
then what was the significance of making the point they couldn't get the original cast at all if you knew shooting is based on availability?

And boy did the studio screw the pooch
yet the marketing was still the same amount of time as Days of Future Past. I guess they changed to a different team.

Normally you aren't actually rewriting the script into production, though
Yeah, let me re-quote a scriptwriter on that very subject:
The important thing to remember is that screenplays are never really "finished." Drafts are finished, but they are subject to revision. When a director is attached, he or she will have a "take" that may change things. Production difficulties may require changes as it is shot. Just last year I was called upon to write new scenes for "reshoots" on a project that had finished principal photography four months earlier. So, I'd argue that screenplays are really protean documents, subject to continual revision, and aren't "finished" until the movie actually premiers.
Yeah, I know you don't.
You should agree hearsay isn't very reliable.

The thing is, though, that there were things said by that scooper that sound entirely plausible.

Far more info was given than could easily be made up, so that person either saw a screening or knows someone who did. Some was info that could be taken from the EW article, some of it was not revealed anywhere before
(for instance, Quicksilver/Nightcrawler teaming up for the space rescue; Beast going to Magneto; Magneto's henchmen including a guy with hair like whips or tentacles; Chastain's character taking on the form of a human she kills).

And as for the scooper not having seen X-Men: Apocalypse, that's not a requirement of getting an invite to a test screening!

I believe a lot of things in that scoop are true.

It is indeed quite funny. Also funny how the negative rumours are immediately taken as gospel by some, like the Deadpool 2 rumours of it being awful.

It is indeed quite funny. Also funny how the negative rumours are immediately taken as gospel by some, like the Deadpool 2 rumours of it being awful.

Just because someone saw Deadpool 2 and thought it was 'awful' doesn't mean they didn't see the film.

That was their opinion.

To prove they didn't see the film would require information about what was supposedly in the film to be proved to be incorrect.

You cannot prove an opinion to be incorrect.

I didn't think Deadpool 2 was very good to be honest, so I find it perfectly understandable that others might feel the same.

It was okay. Not great, not terrible, not that memorable.

Oh I accept we jumped the gun without having any proof behind it whatsoever. :o

Well the redit moderator first claimed it was legit, so its not our fault. It was believable, I read the whole thing, and the redit moderator confirmed it as legit.

not only Dark phoenix didnt have hype this time around, but now this leak.... its pretty clear Fox is pissed right now, and this will hurt the boxoffice even more. They will take their money back, sure, they always do, but leaks like this always hurt the word of mouth and the main x-men movies currently have bad word of mouth, so... ouch.

Is it really a leak if it's not true?

Still a bad of mouth. Anyway, camp Fox leak good word of mouth that isn't from friends of Fox or Kinberg. :o

Movie is going to bomb. I’ll be surprised if it makes 60 million opening weekend.

Oh no! Somebody needs to share a difference of opinion! To another difference of opinion! To another difference of opinion! When will the madness end!!!

You'd think Kinberg or Fox would tease a bit more info or imagery to try to soften the negativity.

All we've had is Kinberg confirming the film has extraterrestrials in it. Well, duh.

I know we're way ahead of release but they must have something to show. Or is it really being changed that much by all the reshoots?

Singer is better in terms of promoting and teasing stuff online. I've muted Kinberg, but did he post anything regarding Dark PhoeniX?
Movie is going to bomb. I’ll be surprised if it makes 60 million opening weekend.

Apocalypse opened with 65 million which was considered a disappointment.

Anyway, I think it could open under 50 million. It would need a lot of public convincing if it wants to top Apocalypse's opening weekend. But yikes, given that most Marvel films open now more than 80 million, 50 million is just lukewarm especially given that the X-Men opened higher than like back in 2006. Anyway, this seems like a weird choice for the Valentines Day, so not sure if that would help. Also Lego Movie 2 would attract a lot of kids and potentially alienating kids to watch the drama and gritty film.

I see one of the things that guy said was the costumes were black and yellow same as the set pic. Well considering we know they’re blue and yellow, not black... red flags should have been waving!

More details

https://www.comicbook movie .com/x-men/dark_phoenix/the-last-stand-20-everything-you-need-to-know-about-that-confirmed-x-men-dark-phoenix-plot-leak-a160928

That article is hilariously biased, they should be ashamed for running that. Especially since those spoilers are anything but confirmed. Stop salivating for failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back