Justice League Zack Snyder Directing Justice League - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the viewing of Snyder's production cut by Studio execs probably did more in trying to change the film than the trailer reactions.
Agreed. Honestly, I think the original Justice League movie was more in line with Man of Steel and I don't think they wanted another mix reaction like what they got with MoS and BvS and thought what they did was their safest bet. However it backfired on the greatly.

You have zero evidence for that. Is it more likely that they reacted to chatter about the trailer, or that they simply saw what he had put together so far and didn't like it, especially in light of him way under delivering with the box office for his BvS, so they brought in a pinch hitter (who, again, put together a movie even having to Frankenstein it, that is rated higher by both audiences and critics than BvS is).

Too bad it bombed horribly, so that pinch hitter was a swing and a miss.

Well dont you think that if the trailer reactions had been overwhelmingly positive, like the trailer to IW, that they may have been like, "ok, people seem to like what Zack's selling this time lets see where it goes?" It seems more and more these days, studios in general are carefully monitoring the reception to their trailers and adjusting from there.
The reactions to most of Zack’s trailers are always positive and full of praise. As early as 300 and as recent as BvS. Like with all things, there’s gotta be a breaking point somewhere. If there’s a pattern of massive early hype and subsequent disappointment/backlash on actual release, they can’t rely on the same gameplan and hope for the best.

Not gonna lie. I feel bad for Whedon. Despite what we may think about his contributions to the movie there is no doubt that if he had much more time the film would've been more polished script AND dialogue wise and made JL a hit. The guy goes to WB and is all like "hey can I do a Batgirl movie?" And they say, "sure can you fix Justice League in 5 months?" What do you do in that instance? Lol

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. I feel bad for Whedon. Despite what we may think about his contributions to the movie there is no doubt that if he had much more time the film would've been more polished script AND dialogue wise and made JL a hit. The guy goes to WB and is all like "hey can I do a Batgirl movie?" And they say, "sure can you fix Justice League in 5 months?" What do you do in that instance? Lol

Not fix more like can you reshoot 80-90% of the movie is 5 months.

Not fix more like can you reshoot 80-90% of the movie in 5 months.

Too bad it bombed horribly, so that pinch hitter was a swing and a miss.

You must be joking. He was sent in to work on a movie that was already mostly filmed, had too little time, had limited budget, the film was hamstrung by tons of negative rumors and even moreso by already a film (BvS) preceding it that much of the audience hated. And even with all that he made a film more liked by viewers and critics than BvS. And you're gonna imply it was Whedon's fault it wasn't a huge hit?
Yeah, I'm sure the blame should go on the guy whose 2 Avengers movies made about $1.5 billion worldwide. Each.

You must be joking. He was sent in to work on a movie that was already mostly filmed, had too little time, had limited budget, the film was hamstrung by tons of negative rumors and even moreso by already a film (BvS) preceding it that much of the audience hated. And even with all that he made a film more liked by viewers and critics than BvS. And you're gonna imply it was Whedon's fault it wasn't a huge hit?
Yeah, I'm sure the blame should go on the guy whose 2 Avengers movies made about $1.5 billion worldwide. Each.

JL wasn't surrounded by negative rumors. Actually up until the reshoots all reports on the movie were positive. The problem became when the movie was reported to look more like MOS instead of Avengers which is what the studio wanted. Also the movie was completed and deep into post production and almost done with that till the studio decided that they wanted to add some things. Then when Snyder left they decided to reshoot most of the movie in about 4 months. Personally I don't blame anyone for JL expect the WB.

Actors like working with Zack. Not enough of the general audience likes watching his movies. Being free of the DCU is the best for everyone involved, including Zack. He can have more creative freedom working on non mainstream franchises.

Considering WB and by extension Whedon(since he was the hired gun)

-filmed nearly half the footage that we saw in the theatrical cut, cut more than 2hrs worth more footage, and repurposed and botched the stuff that was remaining
-Changed and oversaw the horrid score(music is like 30% of the whole movie experience)
-Was responsible for the amateurish color grading
-brought in his own editors
-was responsible for the obvious continuity lapses(visual or otherwise) WITHIN the film(lazily chose digital cameras rather than film like Snyder was using)
-used resources foolishly, choosing to reshoot stuff that didnt need reshooting(like Cyborg looking out of the window and saying "relax Alfred..."), which in turn stretched their budget, and meant things that did need money didnt get it cue...
-moustachegate

And it goes on and on and on. So yeah, considering that retooled the whole ****ing movie, and it barely resembled Zack's film in tone, style or content, yeah I'm gonna blame it on the people behind it. Whedon being one of the prime culprits.

If Zack had made all these decisions and choices, I would have blamed him too. But he didnt. He made two great CBMs in MOS, and BvS, and he has all my support and a lot of other people, and always will.

Considering WB and by extension Whedon(since he was the hired gun)

-filmed nearly half the footage that we saw in the theatrical cut, cut more than 2hrs worth more footage, and repurposed and botched the stuff that was remaining
-Changed and oversaw the horrid score(music is like 30% of the whole movie experience)
-Was responsible for the amateurish color grading
-brought in his own editors
-was responsible for the obvious continuity lapses(visual or otherwise) WITHIN the film(lazily chose digital cameras rather than film like Snyder was using)
-used resources foolishly, choosing to reshoot stuff that didnt need reshooting(like Cyborg looking out of the window and saying "relax Alfred..."), which in turn stretched their budget, and meant things that did need money didnt get it cue...
-moustachegate

And it goes on and on and on. So yeah, considering that retooled the whole ****ing movie, and it barely resembled Zack's film in tone, style or content, yeah I'm gonna blame it on the people behind it. Whedon being one of the prime culprits.

If Zack had made all these decisions and choices, I would have blamed him too. But he didnt. He made two great CBMs in MOS, and BvS, and he has all my support and a lot of other people, and always will.
I don't blame anyone but the WB because they could've delayed Justice League and moved forward with Aquaman and Flash and then go from there or they could've just released Synder's movie and then rework or start the changes they wanted to do the DCU after Justice League. Because of what they did they turned the whole DCEU into a joke and in turn turned Superman into a joke with his whole mustache thing. Which is why I can understand and side with Cavill during these contract negations because it is his image people are now laughing at.

The DC universe was poorly received as a whole going into JL, including Superman. Wonder Woman had been the only shining light going into last November. The best thing about JL crashing and burning is perhaps finally forcing WB to reorganize and regroup.

Its just classic studio overreaction, is all. This happens way too often with movie franchises and the overreaction and course correcting often dooms the property instead of helps it and studios just never ever learn. Its like when the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie came out back in '91. People complained to New Line that the movie was too dark and brooding so what do they do for the sequel? They literally brighten up the cinematography up to 11, the tone got silly AF, the turtles werent ALLOWED TO USE THEIR FREAKIN WEAPONS, and they put Vanilla Ice in it. And how did that end up workin for them? Even as a kid, altho I enjoyed the movie, the first one was much better to me.

Btw, TMNT '91 remains one of my favorite films to this day. Lol

Man of Steel had a good audience reception, made good money, and brought back Superman into the fore front again for a modern audience. Had mixed critical reaction.

BvS made a lot of money. Audience and critic reception was not good and it could have made more. UC redeemed it somewhat.

SS was a huge BO success. It was a hit with audiences, but not with critics.

WW was a huge BO success, and was a hit with both audiences and critics.

JL was a BO disaster, had lukewarm audience reception, and bad critic reaction. It failed on like every level.

People like to paint the whole DCEU before WW like it was a complete failure, but it wasnt, far from it. JL has been the only complete failure so far. DCEU needed to retain its audience and push it in a more mainstream direction, like WW did, not do a complete 180 like JL did. That was their mistake.

I know MOS made more of a profit than the larger budget JL but their WW gross, albeit 4 years apart was only separated by 10M. Semantics but still.

JL was a failure in every way. Partial blame on Snyder, partial blame on Whedon, most of the blame on WB execs.

Yeah and BvS made more than WW, but just like the comparison you made above, thats not fair in any way. I compared every movie on their own merits. None of the them were runaway hits like WW, but it wasnt a flop franchise by any standards. It just needed tweaking into a more GA friendly direction.

Man of Steel had a good audience reception, made good money, and brought back Superman into the fore front again for a modern audience. Had mixed critical reaction.

BvS made a lot of money. Audience and critic reception was not good and it could have made more. UC redeemed it somewhat.

SS was a huge BO success. It was a hit with audiences, but not with critics.

WW was a huge BO success, and was a hit with both audiences and critics.

JL was a BO disaster, had lukewarm audience reception, and bad critic reaction. It failed on like every level.

People like to paint the whole DCEU before WW like it was a complete failure, but it wasnt, far from it. JL has been the only complete failure so far. DCEU needed to retain its audience and push it in a more mainstream direction, like WW did, not do a complete 180 like JL did. That was their mistake.

Thats one thing I thinl people need to be reminded of from time to time. The DCEU is not a failure despite what the coveted Rotten Tomatoes may say. Yes, we can ALL agree the it has not reached its full potential yet but audiences are turning up for these things amd besides JL, all of their films have been at least been financial successes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"