8.20 - Beast - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So I finally got caught up with Smallville this evening. Four months to get through eight seasons was pretty tough, lol. But this last episode was pretty good. I really do like the character of Davis Bloom. Unfortunate that he has to go. Hopefully the final two episodes are good. I also liked the song that was played at the beginning and end of this episode.

I don't think I would be quite as critical if her loving Davis was actually convincing. For me, Chloe loving Davis is the same reason Padme loves Anakin Skywalker, the script required it. Chloe developing feelings for Davis to the point she would betray Clark so far has been completely unconvincing for me.

I think at this point Chloe is a desperate lonely woman who's life got so messed up, so fast that she is simply loosing it.

She needs someone to need her like Davis does. That devotion isn't real we know but to her it's all she has right now. Yet she has her responsibility to the world and to Clark and I really think at this point her subconscious is using Clark as an excuse to justify staying with Davis. If it really was about Clark and about the world then she'd have helped big blue push the SOB into the Zone.

Heck she was willing to off him a few weeks ago with a Krypto Shower.

But that was before weeks of living with Davis undying devotion. she's grown to need that.

It's not right. and it's not healthy but then I think that is the point they are going for. In some ways it mirrors Jimmy's drug addiction. (I just wish I had thought of that before I sent my review in this week.
:p)

LOL. Then you'd be using the same brain cells or lack thereof as Chloe. Have you not been watching the past few episodes? Davis is becoming more and more dependent on Chloe. She couldn't even leave the Talon w/o him freakin' out. Obviously he'll either be so dependent on her that she won't be able to leave his side or the effect she has on him will wane. She's not protecting Clark at all. The Phatom Zone is really the only option.

Well you obviously did not understand my post. Chloe doesn't want Clark to die, and she doesn't want Davis to die either, or going to the Phantom Zone. So she goes the middle way and tries to save them both. She thinks it's the only and right way to go.

I think that's a bad analogy. Just my opinion. I would compare Davis to a mentally disturbed serial killer, that's more on the mark in my point of view.

Would you harbour someone you know is a serial killer, just because they are mentally disturbed?

What she is doing is irresponsible, and she cant possibly think that it can be without consequence. She just needs to step down from her martyrdom pedestal and look at the situation with a clearer eye.

I didn't mean to compare Davis with a disease or something, just that she is doing her best in trying to save her best friends life. And of course she knows there will be consequences, but that doesn't stop her.

Well you obviously did not understand my post. Chloe doesn't want Clark to die, and she doesn't want Davis to die either, or going to the Phantom Zone. So she goes the middle way and tries to save them both. She thinks it's the only and right way to go.

Sure, and it's that boneheaded "have her cake and eat it too" kind of thinking that's so dangerous and irresponsible. Just because Chloe justifies her choices with thinking she's saving everyone, doesn't make it an honorable thing - in fact, in this case, it's precisely the opposite because she's actually increasing the risks for everyone. I also don't believe her reasons are really for the greater good, as much as for Chloe's good.

For me, Chloe's always walked a thin line between self-centeredness and selflessness. While this latest arc takes that to an extreme for her character, it's also kind of intriguing to see them really take this "fan favorite" character in that direction. Like I said before, I have no doubt that they will pull her back, but still... intriguing in a big picture kind of way.

Sure, and it's that boneheaded "have her cake and eat it too" kind of thinking that's so dangerous and irresponsible. Just because Chloe justifies her choices with thinking she's saving everyone, doesn't make it an honorable thing - in fact, in this case, it's precisely the opposite because she's actually increasing the risks for everyone. I also don't believe her reasons are really for the greater good, as much as for Chloe's good.

For me, Chloe's always walked a thin line between self-centeredness and selflessness. While this latest arc takes that to an extreme for her character, it's also kind of intriguing to see them really take this "fan favorite" character in that direction. Like I said before, I have no doubt that they will pull her back, but still... intriguing in a big picture kind of way.

Yes it is dangerous and irresponsible, but she still feels that it's the right thing to do. Maybe not everyone would have done the same thing as her but we really don't know exactly how she is thinking or what it's like in her position. And I agree that what she's doing is stupid and might just turn out really bad, but I still understand why she does it. I mean there are a lot of people who does weird things even if they know it will end badly.

My review's up.

I actually thought Chloe was being either stupid or foolish or both. I'm not sure I saw in any nobility in what she's done. I guess the Chloe fans are now going to hate me along with the Lana fans.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/beastreview.htm

hey trip just finished reading the review. Another solid review, i liked the info about past 20th episodes and your thoughts on the episode yourself. Cant wait to see what you have to say about injustice and the doomsday.

Another solid review Trip. I have my curiosities about why she is toting Davis around, and I think it has to do with the fact that she'd become pulp if he suspected she had other reasons.

I do feel though that she sees that Davis is still in there, as a good man, since he has proven he has good in him. It made Clark realize that there was something else he can try to save Bloom, yet imprison the monster.

It's a deep hole she's dug....I'm interested to see if and how she'll pull herself out of it.

I think at this point Chloe is a desperate lonely woman who's life got so messed up, so fast that she is simply loosing it.

She needs someone to need her like Davis does. That devotion isn't real we know but to her it's all she has right now. Yet she has her responsibility to the world and to Clark and I really think at this point her subconscious is using Clark as an excuse to justify staying with Davis. If it really was about Clark and about the world then she'd have helped big blue push the SOB into the Zone.

But that was before weeks of living with Davis undying devotion. she's grown to need that.

It's not right. and it's not healthy but then I think that is the point they are going for. In some ways it mirrors Jimmy's drug addiction. (I just wish I had thought of that before I sent my review in this week.
:p)

i really like that idea! i dont know if thats what the writers are going for, but if they were it would be GOLD! nice observation! :applaud

It's not right. and it's not healthy but then I think that is the point they are going for. In some ways it mirrors Jimmy's drug addiction. (I just wish I had thought of that before I sent my review in this week.:p )

Well, it's like what I complained about in my review, they're making the same mistakes with Chloe that they had with almost everyone else: making the character serve the story instead of the story serving the character.

Other shows don't have this problem, at least not to this extent.

I guess it's hard to completely avoid having the character stray from what's normal for them, but I wish they'd at least keep them being consistant from episode to episode.

hey trip just finished reading the review. Another solid review, i liked the info about past 20th episodes and your thoughts on the episode yourself. Cant wait to see what you have to say about injustice and the doomsday.

I really, really liked Injustice but it was a very, very dark episode.... I'll probably give it a 5, didn't see some of the twists coming.

It was beautifully shot by Glen Winter and even all the characters were wearing darker colors. Tom looks awesome in darker shades, so Melanie Williams is going to get some major kudos for the costumes too...

:up:

Another solid review Trip. I have my curiosities about why she is toting Davis around, and I think it has to do with the fact that she'd become pulp if he suspected she had other reasons.

Which is one theory I posited in my review... She might be worried not just for Clark, but for herself, if she fesses up, he may kill her and then go after Clark immediately after that.

She's walking a very fine line with Davis. Being close to him is definitely very dangerous....

I do feel though that she sees that Davis is still in there, as a good man, since he has proven he has good in him. It made Clark realize that there was something else he can try to save Bloom, yet imprison the monster.

It's a deep hole she's dug....I'm interested to see if and how she'll pull herself out of it.

She's really dug herself in pretty deep, 'tis true.

It should make for good TV next week, no matter what else happens.

I just read the review yesterday, another awesome one! I agree, Chloe's plan is stupid, but a part of me thinks it's in her character. Chloe has always been about protecting Clark and has always been way over her head. Now she comes up with a plan that the writers ovious now is a terrible one, but of course she's doing it for the right reasons. I don't think it's too out of character for Chloe since she killed Sebastian in "Identity" for Clark. So her sacrificing herself to keep Clark and Davis from each other seems like it's something Chloe would do, even though it's reckless, dangerous and idiotic of her. I anxious to see how this will change Clark and Chloe's friendship as well as how Chloe will be affected by this next season. Can't wait for your "Injustice" review, how's that coming along?

Well, it's like what I complained about in my review, they're making the same mistakes with Chloe that they had with almost everyone else: making the character serve the story instead of the story serving the character.

It's probably my biggest pet peeve on the show but it seems like alot of times the show likes to go to ridiculous lengths for angsty relationship drama that just seems forced. The female lead character is usually the one that gets stuck with those plotlines

It's probably my biggest pet peeve on the show but it seems like alot of times the show likes to go to ridiculous lengths for angsty relationship drama that just seems forced. The female lead character is usually the one that gets stuck with those plotlines

in a way, I hope chloe lives this season so she can stay the female lead so that Lois doesn't have to undergo angsty relationship drama that's reserved for the female lead...

That's actually my reason for hoping ED gets bumped up a few episodes next season, so that she can share the load.

I just read the review yesterday, another awesome one! I agree, Chloe's plan is stupid, but a part of me thinks it's in her character. Chloe has always been about protecting Clark and has always been way over her head. Now she comes up with a plan that the writers ovious now is a terrible one, but of course she's doing it for the right reasons. I don't think it's too out of character for Chloe since she killed Sebastian in "Identity" for Clark. So her sacrificing herself to keep Clark and Davis from each other seems like it's something Chloe would do, even though it's reckless, dangerous and idiotic of her. I anxious to see how this will change Clark and Chloe's friendship as well as how Chloe will be affected by this next season. Can't wait for your "Injustice" review, how's that coming along?

I'm not sure Chloe's actions completely make sense, but I guess we'll see how things turn out in Doomsday with that.

As for my Injusitice review, it's not really coming, I didn't feel like working on it at all yesterday since it was mother's day...

;)

I'll work on it tonight.

And just so you know: HD iTunes files do NOT work well on almost four year old laptops with shared video memory.

:p

I couldn't come close to playing it full screen, too bad too. Oh, well.

Well, I guess I don't have an argument with that. Now that Lana's gone, the previous female lead, now Chloe's havig the same sort of contrivances for her love life?

'Nough said.

in a way, I hope chloe lives this season so she can stay the female lead so that Lois doesn't have to undergo angsty relationship drama that's reserved for the female lead...

I won't argue with that.

That's actually my reason for hoping ED gets bumped up a few episodes next season, so that she can share the load.

I hope Lois can get bumped up a few episodes, but we'll see what happens.

Yea erica should get episode count increase. If not for the whole season at least 17-19 episodes so they can do a sprinkle of 2-3 episodes where lois/erica could be out for what ever reasons. She does seem to do alot of other tv/film work during filming breaks from smallville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"