85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The median age of the Academy is quite old 60? I believe. It appears the overall younger group of the DGA appreciated him more.

When they say 371 out of 6014 members. Are they saying its out of the Academy or DGA. I assume the latter.

I believe it's 371 members out of the Directors' Guild.

The Academy has about 6000 members. The DGA has about 15,000 members. 371 members of the Academy are Directors, who get to determine the nominee for their branch of the Academy.

There's no reason to assume that the demographics of the directors in the Academy doesn't match overall membership. It might even be older considering how small a portion of active directors (2.5%) that is.

I think this L.A. Times article explains this situation:

So basically, only less than 400 people get to determine who the directorial nominees are for the Oscar, and they are in the minority when it comes to Affleck's achievement. I think Golden Globe, SAG, and DGA are all basically telling the Academy Award what they think of their snub.
Interesting, thanks. I knew that the guilds had a lot more voters than the Academy voters in each category, but I guess I just hadn't realized HOW small that number was compared to the guilds. 371 directors in the Academy vs 6014 in the DGA? Wow.

Group shot from the Oscars Nominees Luncheon (click for bigger image):

^ Someone should CGI in Richard Parker lying down in front.

nfjup.jpg

;-)

I've now seen pretty much all the main nominated films minus The Sessions and Anna Karenina.

I did a triple-feature today: Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and Les Miserables (which I've already seen 3 times, but I wanted to see it again).

And since it's a weekday and we're expecting Snowmageddon tomorrow, the theater was pretty quiet. I think Les Miz was the only movie I saw that had more than 10 people in the theater.

At Life of Pi, I was the only person there until a few minutes after it started. And one of those people screamed her head off when the tiger pounced in 3D. :funny:

I'm not a big Tarantino fan, but I really enjoyed Django. Life of Pi was amazing. And Les Miz still has me sobbing at the end.

So I've seen all of the Best Picture nominees except for Amour, which is not playing by me yet, although it will be next week, so I may see it then.

Good luck not falling asleep during Amour. lol

I'll be finally seeing Lincoln and ZD30 this weekend. Amour doesn't come out till after the Oscar are actually on.

Argo took home the BAFTA for Best Film and Best Director. Now every awards blogger is turning on Argo calling it undeserving. :oldrazz:

Finally saw Amour. Have to agree with Kane, I don't see what the big deal is. The performances were great, but I was terribly bored during it. Guess it appealed to the older demographic of the Academy.

Now that I've seen all of the Best Picture nominees, I'm okay with seven of them winning the top prize. I haven't been okay with the Best Picture winner since 2007, lol. Guess that shows what a great year it's been.

I think I'm rooting for Argo (and Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress) just to hear Sasha Stone ***** about how Lincoln isn't winning and awards don't matter.

The popular choice is always the uncool choice.

Best Supporting Actor is wide open.

I'd still say TLJ is frontrunner due to SAG but wouldn't be that surprising to see Waltz upset. I'd want the latter to win just to see him give a speech.

DDL won the Best Actor BAFTA so they should just give him the Oscar right now. Every shred of suspense for that race is gone.

Him and Hathaway are locks but there is still suspense in Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Director. And I guess you can thrown Best Supporting Actor in there too.

Best Supporting Actor is a mess. I just can't see them giving Waltz his 2nd Oscar this soon so I still think it'll be someone else.

And wow on Riva winning Best Actress at the BAFTAs. It looks like the pundits saying that she might take the win weren't that crazy after all.

Last edited:
Well it is her birthday on Oscar night, will she be taking home a statue? Plus the movie getting such big oscar nominations a month ago might've gotten more people to watch it.

It seems David O Russell might've told Lawrence she got this in the bag, his reaction at 1:15 is priceless.
[YT]GuWTAUCfzG0[/YT]

Well it is her birthday on Oscar night, will she be taking home a statue? Plus the movie getting such big oscar nominations a month ago might've gotten more people to watch it.

It seems David O Russell might've told Lawrence she got this in the bag, his reaction at 1:15 is priceless.
[YT]GuWTAUCfzG0[/YT]

:funny:

iGHq7Rzy8g5sK.gif

Last edited:
Thomas Newman wining Original Score at the BAFTA's was a bit of a joke. Skyfall's score was decent, but compared to the out-of-the-world score of Life of Pi (Mychael Danna) was ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"