85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a weird record to have, Django Unchained is the least nominated Best Picture winner atthe Golden Europe awards, and the only to ever win Best Picture without a directing nomination.

Django Unchained's reception has been a really weird thing to watch.

What a weird record to have, Django Unchained is the least nominated Best Picture winner atthe Golden Europe awards, and the only to ever win Best Picture without a directing nomination.

Django Unchained's reception has been a really weird thing to watch.

Well, these are the same people who find soccer and deficit financing entertaining, so there you go.

I don't know if Weinstein has a plan, but Silver Linings Playbook has had ridiculously small drops at the box office the last few weeks and looks to be a significant film in the box office news through Valentine's Day. There's room for a campaign on that.

The DGA will be interesting. If Affleck wins, that certainly puts Argo in good position, despite the directing snub. If Ang Lee wins, that probably revives talk for Life of Pi. If Spielberg wins, that's a momentum shifter for a picture that's only been winning acting awards recently.

I don't know if there's much else that can change things between now and the end of voting. Beasts of the Southern Wild will clean up indie film awards, which might help it a little bit in the Oscar voting, but probably only towards a 4th place finish on the ballot. Still, there's a good bet that Beasts will garner the indie bloc which might be useful if there's a large split in the voting.

Affleck won the DGA.

This is crazy. And he is not nominated for the Oscar.

PS: I hope Ang Lee wins the Oscar, not Spielberg.

I'd say they both deserve it so I don't care who wins.

Well this is a strange year. **** yeah! Man, we could seriously be in a situation whereby Argo might only take home the BP award. That hasn't happened in a looooong time.

Affleck won the DGA.

axo2V0B.gif

Spielberg must be asking himself what went wrong.

If Argo wins Best Picture, I'd take solace in the fact that Affleck would win an Oscar due to him being a producer as well.

Affleck won the DGA.
I just...don't understand what's happening here, lol. PGA, SAG, DGA...all about Argo. So how the hell did the Academy miss him?

Politics. A jury of your peers voting ain't always a good thing.

I just...don't understand what's happening here, lol. PGA, SAG, DGA...all about Argo. So how the hell did the Academy miss him?

It has happened twice before that a film swept the guild awards, while failing to get a best director nomination at the Academy Awards. Both films (The Color Purple & Apollo 13) went on to lose Best Picture at the Oscars.

This is fantastic. Wow, for once a movie that I am actually rooting for is winning awards and now has a good chance at getting Best Picture.

So what is the frontrunner now? In the fall, I'd have said Argo was a lock. Leading into December, I would have said Zero Dark Thirty. Now I think it's Silver Linings Playbook. But aren't people also calling Lincoln as a strong contender? I used to be an Oscar fiend, but I'm a little out of the loop now.

Since The Hurt Locker won just 3 years ago, I'm not holding out hope for Zero Dark thirty, but good god does it deserve it. I'll be disappointed if the mental illness rom-com or the Hollywood fluff version of a historical event takes it.

ZDT has no chance, neither does SLP.

I could be remembering it wrong but I think the Oscar ballots are not even out yet? If so, the results of the guild awards could affect how the voters will be voting.

I think this L.A. Times article explains this situation:

Although many see a connection between all the "Argo" victories that have occurred since Affleck lost out on an Oscar nomination for director, it might make more sense to consider the academy snub as an awards-season anomaly. The academy directors branch, consisting of just 371 members out of a total active membership of 6,014, didn't appreciate Affleck, but they're clearly in the minority, both in terms of actual voting numbers as well as their opinion.

And that's another reason that the "Argo" opposition's last-gasp hope -- that Oscar voters will look at all this awards-season love and somehow wearily decide that enough is enough -- is patently absurd. People in Hollywood, like moviegoers in general, genuinely like this movie. And with a preferential system that rewards films that voters rank near the top of their ballot, passion counts and polarity dooms.

So basically, only less than 400 people get to determine who the directorial nominees are for the Oscar, and they are in the minority when it comes to Affleck's achievement. I think Golden Globe, SAG, and DGA are all basically telling the Academy Award what they think of their snub.

The median age of the Academy is quite old 60? I believe. It appears the overall younger group of the DGA appreciated him more.

When they say 371 out of 6014 members. Are they saying its out of the Academy or DGA. I assume the latter.

Best Oscar race in years.

I could be remembering it wrong but I think the Oscar ballots are not even out yet? If so, the results of the guild awards could affect how the voters will be voting.

I believe they're out this Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back