All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the boards!

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, IGN have done an opinion piece on the MoS handcuff poster.

'Yes, he could break those cuffs. But he won't, and that's the point'

It's a good read, and basically saying what we already know, but reading various comments around Facebook I couldn't believe the number of 'why doesn't he just break those cuffs, another ruined superhero film' etc. :doh: Which the article highlights as well.

One thing that I will mentioned regarding a point that was made in that article is that I hope that should MOS become a success and a launch a new franchise for the character, that they don't have Superman totally succumb to the government in future installments if he's put into that type of situations, where he ends up becoming nothing but a lackey for them, especially if the government that he's working for is evidently corrupt.

That is a interesting issue though; what would superman do if the very law that he was trying to abide by, suddenly became corrupted entirely due to someone, let's say Lex Luther, gained the means to run the entire thing. Should superman still submit himself to the law if it said that he had to do something that was morally wrong, but legally right? If he had evidence that said one person was clearly innocent, but due to the corruption within the system prevented from that coming to light, and thus saying that the person was sentenced to be falsely executed, should he just stand by and do nothing because the "law" said so? These are some serious things that they could dive into if they wanted to.

Where does Superman draw the line on how far he's willing to follow the given "law"?

Welcome to the boards!

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, IGN have done an opinion piece on the MoS handcuff poster.

'Yes, he could break those cuffs. But he won't, and that's the point'

It's a good read, and basically saying what we already know, but reading various comments around Facebook I couldn't believe the number of 'why doesn't he just break those cuffs, another ruined superhero film' etc. :doh: Which the article highlights as well.
:doh: People.....

The mark of a truly great man, IMO (and I only use the word "man" because women very rarely find themselves in this position), is one who has all the power imaginable, and gives it up. They don't squander it for selfish needs.

Which is indeed one way to show how great Superman really is. :yay:

I'm curious, do you think Supes escapes custody at some point, or do the higher-ups in the military decide to let him leave. The only way I could see the military letting go of a super powerful asset/ally/potential threat in their posession is if Zod is on the verge of completely subjugating the earh, thus forcing them to let Supes leave willingly to engage the global threat. Otherwise, I think the militry in all their paranoia would never let him leave; not that they could really stop him if he chose to do so.

I wonder if with the heat vision they will have the beams gradually widen from his eyes? It will be interesting to see how it is done because I think SR and SV were a bit lackluster on heat vision. Excuse the poor gimp work
2u7rvpg.jpg

I'm curious, do you think Supes escapes custody at some point, or do the higher-ups in the military decide to let him leave. The only way I could see the military letting go of a super powerful asset/ally/potential threat in their posession is if Zod is on the verge of completely subjugating the earh, thus forcing them to let Supes leave willingly to engage the global threat. Otherwise, I think the militry in all their paranoia would never let him leave; not that they could really stop him if he chose to do so.

Well according to one of the spoilers if it was real or not

Below is the exchange between Faora, Superman, and Colonel Hardy. The following has been altered from the actual spy source (to protect his identity), but it should give you a pretty good idea about the scene.

{Exterior Shot} Various Military vehicles and 200 military soldiers are prone, all in formation as if ready to stand off as they wait for TWO female Kryptonians to land their ships. Among them is Faora as she walks past Superman, himself standing and ever ready. Faora then walks over to Colonel Hardy who stand with his men behind the barricade as she begins to speak-

Faora: “General Zod wants this woman to come with me.”

Faora then gestures to non other then Lois Lane. Hardy is quick to object.

Colonel Hardy: “You asked for the Alien, you never said anything about one of our women!”

Faora: “Shall I tell the General you are not willing to comply?”

Colonel Hardy: “I don’t care what you tell him!”

Lois then emerges from behind the barricade as she gestures of Hardy.

Lois Lane: “It’s okay, I’ll go.”

Lois then follows Faora as they walk back to the ship. Superman however tries to stop her fearing for Lois’ life. Faora then finally addresses Superman.

Faora: “If I was going to kill her she would be dead already. I am incapable of emotion…”

So I'm betting the army let Superman go

Interesting post, and something that probably has occurred to all ( except the brilliant "why doesn't he just break the cuffs" people:doh:) who first saw the picture.
Superman willingly following is a great way to show sincerity in his actions, and just conveying that he's a law abiding individual.
The question of whether he escapes or not is IMO closely linked to the time of his so called capture. If he feels that time is on his side and he tries to reason with them and explaining his intentions, then that process might take a little bit of time, with Zod and his soldiers carefully paying attention to how they react to such a visitor with that kind of power, this is an origin movie after all.

Or he's "captured" later in the movie after he and Zod go all out and cause a tremendous amount of damage and he eventually breaks out and proves once and for all what side he's on.
Both versions could work.

Oh, and I just saw the new Star Trek trailer, holy God that was great. THAT is how a trailer is done. I hope the MOS one is done in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
Maybe Superman asks them to let him leave and they say no, so he decided to leave anyway.

Its pretty safe to say that if he didnt wanna be in cuffs, he wouldnt be. Its prolly the only way to convince the gov that his intentions are good.

I am enjoying it.:woot:Cant stop staring at i.I think its gonna come out like that in the movie.Or a live action version of the pic below

85881192.jpg

I just hope it looks good and the colors are attractive!

I am enjoying it.:woot:Cant stop staring at i.I think its gonna come out like that in the movie.Or a live action version of the pic below

85881192.jpg

That pic is awesome :up:

So, do you guys think that there's still a good chance of us getting some stills from the actual film (not promotional ones, but stills that show things from the film itself) before this year is up?

So, do you guys think that there's still a good chance of us getting some stills from the actual film (not promotional ones, but stills that show things from the film itself) before this year is up?

I highly doubt it...maybe not until mid January or February

Hi everyone!:)

My very first post here, just joined the forums.

I'm a 27-year-old Portuguese girl who has been a Superman fan since the age of 5.
It was the Superboy TV show that introduced me to the legendary superhero. His ability to fly fascinated me and although I was a little girl I also used to pretend I could fly wearing a towel-cape like so many little boys did.

Since then I've been following my favorite superhero throughout the live-action TV shows and movies.
Like you guys I'm also totally hyped for the upcoming "Man of Steel" movie and looking forward to seeing the official trailer next week!:)

I love the MoS pictures which have been released so far. The cover of the Studio Ciné Live magazine with Henry as Superman is breathtaking! I know this magazine is also available in Luxembourg, the country I live, so I'm definitely going to purchase it when I find it.

The recent poster which has been released is awesome too altough I thought it looked fan-made when I first saw it. I was also one of the many people who were impatient to finally see the WB countdown unlocked and reveal the exclusive, somehow I was disappointed because I was expecting something much greater. Something is better than nothing at all though!;)

Hello and welcome dreamel! :highfive: Nice childhood story, always great to see fellow life long Superman fans join. Hope you enjoy it here. It's a great place, especially when we are not in the no-news-for-months period. :woot:

It's a (VERY) safe bet that we will.

It would be nice. But I think the trailer in less than a week should satisfy us. Let's not get greedy! :cwink:

And welcome dreamel!

Hello and welcome dreamel! :highfive: Nice childhood story, always great to see fellow life long Superman fans join. Hope you enjoy it here. It's a great place, especially when we are not in the no-news-for-months period. :woot:

@G.Godfrey @Smallville13:
Thank you both for the warm welcome!:) I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it here because I've been lurking the boards for years, glad I finally took the time to register. :woot:
This has been my favorite Superman discussion board for quite a while now!

During the time of the "Superman Returns" movie I usually lurked a board called "The Planet" hosted by bluetights.net which I think have shut down the site. Were some of you members there?

!

During the time of the "Superman Returns" movie I usually lurked a board called "The Planet" hosted by bluetights.net which I think have shut down the site. Were some of you members there?

Ahh I remember those days....and lexlives, what a character. lol

On a trailer note the Oblivion trailer was released online today which was supposed to be either attached to The Hobbit or Jack Reacher on Dec. 21st. Oblivion, Star Trek announcement piece and Pacific Rim on Monday did somebody say? We're getting closer and closer to MoS!:woot:

@G.Godfrey @Smallville13:
Thank you both for the warm welcome!:) I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it here because I've been lurking the boards for years, glad I finally took the time to register. :woot:
This has been my favorite Superman discussion board for quite a while now!

Welcome dreamed! Great story mine was similar. I used to jump off furniture pretending to fly in my Superman pajamas. I also used to play on the swing sets swinging on my stomach too. haha Good times there.

I was a member at Bluetights as well. Miss it around there. :yay:

At least with the new MOS trailer we won't have to debate whether it's photoshopped.

It's time to see Superman. Not still images. Not bootleg CC trailers. Not magazine covers which may or may not be real.

Welcome dreamed! Great story mine was similar. I used to jump off furniture pretending to fly in my Superman pajamas. I also used to play on the swing sets swinging on my stomach too. haha Good times there.

I was a member at Bluetights as well. Miss it around there. :yay:

Thanks!;)
I remember jumping off the couch or a chair, never much higher than that though!:woot: Good times indeed, sometimes I wish I could turn back time and relive those childhood moments!:) Wearing a towel on the back as a grown woman now would look really silly!:whatever:
I have a baby brother who is turning 4, he also loves to jump off furniture but never pretended to be like Superman. He's more into Spiderman because kids nowadays barely know Superman! In the stores all I see is Spiderman, Batman or Avengers merchandise, I rarely see Superman merchandise at all. Hope this changes when MoS comes out! An iconic superhero like Superman deserves a better future!:super:

At least with the new MOS trailer we won't have to debate whether it's photoshopped.

It's time to see Superman. Not still images. Not bootleg CC trailers. Not magazine covers which may or may not be real.
Ha brace yourself for the 'Unfinished CGI!' and 'look is still subject to change' posts following the trailer though.

Welcome dreamel! Always nice to meet a fellow female Supes fan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"