All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked how in the article how Zack and Deborah Snyder were talking about how Superman turned out to be their most realistic movie, the shooting style Zack used (eg. plenty of hand held), the way the title "Man of Steel" is a play on finding the humanity in the character.

And the article does talk about what has been talked about here a lot, the approach, how Superman is an alien, how he has to choose between his Kryptonian heritage and being on Earth, and how that is represented in his two fathers' points of view.

This new Nic Cage pic is a hundred times better then the other one we have of him in a costume test. I love looking back at stuff like this, now that we seem to be getting a truly great Supes film at last, it makes me realise how close we are to MoS. I do wonder when this photo was taken, since it seems pretty traditional compared to the other designs we've seen with lightning/electricity etc.

I have to agree with Showtime. Actually, I don't think I would have hated it back in 96... lol I'm glad we didn't get it. But then, we got SR so... :oldrazz: And I must be honest, I really like the \S/.

It's pretty much a variation of this one....

73964872_a_p.jpg

I have to agree with Showtime. Actually, I don't think I would have hated it back in 96... lol I'm glad we didn't get it. But then, we got SR so... :oldrazz: And I must be honest, I really like the \S/.

yeah the suit doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, but yet, still glad we didn't get this movie. And I have to admit as well, I like the \S/ shield too. It looks very much like the Returns shield. It's raised and the bottom is pretty much the exact same...the top is obviously different, but still cool

This new Nic Cage pic is a hundred times better then the other one we have of him in a costume test. I love looking back at stuff like this, now that we seem to be getting a truly great Supes film at last, it makes me realise how close we are to MoS. I do wonder when this photo was taken, since it seems pretty traditional compared to the other designs we've seen with lightning/electricity etc.

Exactly. We're used to seeing the costume test picture and the "electricity" suit. Not to mention the concept art of Superman looking like Frankenstein in a black suit.

Y'know, if it wasn't going to be all black that would've been a very nice suit. The shield and neckline look great.

If I remember hearing correctly from somewhere, there was going to be more than one suit in the movie...so the suit wouldn't have been completely black the entire film.

I find it amusing that the article says the first audition had actors reading Superman's lines under the guise of a fireman.

yeah the suit doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, but yet, still glad we didn't get this movie. And I have to admit as well, I like the \S/ shield too. It looks very much like the Returns shield. It's raised and the bottom is pretty much the exact same...the top is obviously different, but still cool

The top looks really good. I like how the cape attaches. I would have preferred this shield over the SR one. As a matter of fact, I like most of this suit better then the SR suit.

the great thing about this Nic Cage pic, while he will NEVER and SHOULD never be allowed to play Superman, he COULD play the perfect Bizarro!

You're worried that Superman's powers are digital? Were you expecting them to be practical...? :huh:

Um...no. From what it sounds like, literally every single time Superman does something, it'll be a CGI double instead of Cavill. I would've preferred a mix of practical and digital. I don't doubt the majority of it will look good and I won't even notice, but there's a chance that it won't.

the great thing about this Nic Cage pic, while he will NEVER and SHOULD never be allowed to play Superman, he COULD play the perfect Bizarro!
Sounds about right, I mean I think he would actually go for it.

Um...no. From what it sounds like, literally every single time Superman does something, it'll be a CGI double instead of Cavill. I would've preferred a mix of practical and digital. I don't doubt the majority of it will look good and I won't even notice, but there's a chance that it won't.

Agreed; and plus, my interpretation of that quote was that we won't really see much of Cavil in person when Superman is flying and that it'll probably just be for the super close ups (when he's floating) where we see Cavil's real face and body.

Considering on we've seen some great flying shots done using real people on harnesses for films like these, I'm surprised that they didn't just try to go about it in the same approach or even do it better.

I mean one of the biggest complaints about SR was how they overused a CGI double for Brandon in flying shots that could have easily been done with him in it.

Agreed; and plus, my interpretation of that quote was that we won't really see much of Cavil in person when Superman is flying and that it'll probably just be for the super close ups (when he's floating) where we see Cavil's real face and body.

Considering on we've seen some great flying shots done using real people on harnesses for films like these, I'm surprised that they didn't just try to go about it in the same approach or even do it better.

I mean one of the biggest complaints about SR was how they overused a CGI double for Brandon in flying shots that could have easily been done with him in it.

Exactly. Thank you.

Yknow guys, that suit is red and blue. I think that must be the classic suit from act 1, whereas act II was going to be the black/multi phasing suit, and the final suit in act III was the one we saw before, with the long haired cage with a latex looking, but not rally latex suit.

But it's not bad at all, which I think I kinda knew. Now, we need manips.

The CGI in Superman Returns looked like crap....Routh looked so fake it was horrible. I remember him complaining about how he didn't get as much screen time as Superman due to the use of CGI

Yknow guys, that suit is red and blue. I think that must be the classic suit from act 1, whereas act II was going to be the black/multi phasing suit, and the final suit in act III was the one we saw before, with the long haired cage with a latex looking, but not rally latex suit.

But it's not bad at all, which I think I kinda knew. Now, we need manips.

yes! Manip Cage!

Superman Lives with the Kevin Smith script would have probably been my favorite childhood movie.

The CGI in Superman Returns looked like crap....Routh looked so fake it was horrible. I remember him complaining about how he didn't get as much screen time as Superman due to the use of CGI

Yep; I believe he originally underwent months of training to prepare himself for the flying scenes, whether it was practicing on harnesses or swimming in order to get the postures right.

They even filmed a lot of scenes of him flying in front of the green screen but from what I heard, Singer decided to not use them later on and replaced it with the CGI doubles.

On another note:

Stakes are high for "Man of Steel." Other than Nolan's Batpics, Warners has not been able to effectively exploit the DC library. Its 2011 "Green Lantern" underperformed, and a "Justice League" film wouldn't likely be in theaters before 2015, as Warner's top brass has indicated that they are awaiting the results of "Man of Steel," which opens June 14, before moving further ahead.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065276/

The irony in all of this is that whether MOS succeeds or not, it seems like we won't get a MOS sequel right away or at least one before a JLA film happens since if MOS succeeds..then off to JLA..and if it doesn't succeed..then no JLA or MOS sequel.

Not really... Snyder said that the fight/flight scenes would be CGI. That doesn't mean that, say, if they showed a closeup of Superman firing his heat vision, his entire body would be CGI doing it. It means that in heavy action scenes and flight scenes(such as the one in space) he'll be CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"