All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zod's armor does look pretty ballin'.

I didn't post the Superman statue as honestly...it looks like crap.

_DSC3929_1360513696.jpg

alien enough? :woot:

cqbnrIF.jpg

How many suits does Jor-El have? Or is it just not colored here?

Totally looks like bone. And yes, VERY HR Giger'ish.

It is just me, or does Zod's and Faora's armor look nothing like Jor-El's? Jor-El's armor has an almost biological look to it -- someone compared it to the engineer's outfit and that's a good comparison. But Zod's and Faora's outfits look more metallic or industrial. There are none of those biological elements. They seem very inconsistent. Is it a stretch to presume they are from a different planet or race of people?

Compare:

Jor-El:

_DSC3929_1360513696.jpg

Zod:

_DSC3940_1360513696.jpg

Faora:

_DSC3956_1360513696.jpg

Zod's look very very alien and I mean Alien as in the movie

...Is it a stretch to presume they are from a different planet or race of people?

Yeah, it's a huge stretch. Jor-El's armor might be suited for something different than Zod and Faora's.

Yeah, it's a huge stretch. Jor-El's armor might be suited for something different than Zod and Faora's.
I had thought that -- perhaps Jor-El's isn't military grade -- but Jor-El's suit is most certainly armor (see the gauntlets -- and his use of a rifle of some sort). What would he use it for other than for military use? What practical difference in use could account for one having biological elements to it and the other not having any biological elements at all?

There is a very stark difference in the style of each suit. Perhaps one is military and one is royal dress. But they are not of the same ilk.

It's so good to finally get a real look at Zod and Jor-El's armor and even some Kryptonian weapons. However, I feel like it was a mistake that we are getting such detailed looks through toys and statues instead of stills or trailers. We had multiple official stills and promo shots of Bane and Catwoman before we saw their toys if I recall correctly. Moreover, during the lead-up to TDKR, everyone on the Bat-boards was complaining about how minimal the marketing and coverage was and somehow MOS's marketing is even further behind. Warner Bros needs to really get its act in gear.

Also, I wonder how Russell Crowe is going to match that statue in the film. We've all seen the shots of him straining the waistline of his Kryptonian robes on set. Is Snyder going to CGI his belly or something? With action figures, of course you assume the physique is not going to be very representative of reality, but I don't think they would completely change Jor-El's body for one of these highly detailed, replica statues.

It's so good to finally get a real look at Zod and Jor-El's armor and even some Kryptonian weapons. However, I feel like it was a mistake that we are getting such detailed looks through toys and statues instead of stills or trailers. We had multiple official stills and promo shots of Bane and Catwoman before we saw their toys if I recall correctly. Moreover, during the lead-up to TDKR, everyone on the Bat-boards was complaining about how minimal the marketing and coverage was and somehow MOS's marketing is even further behind. Warner Bros needs to really get its act in gear.

Also, I wonder how Russell Crowe is going to match that statue in the film. We've all seen the shots of him straining the waistline of his Kryptonian robes on set. Is Snyder going to CGI his belly or something? With action figures, of course you assume the physique is not going to be very representative of reality, but I don't think they would completely change Jor-El's body for one of these highly detailed, replica statues.
The TDKR promo shots and stills got a wider audience. These will only be seen by us hardcore types. They're not ruining anything for us -- and they're much less concerned about marketing to us. 98+% of people that see the movie will have never seen these, so the "backwards" nature of their release is kind of irrelevant.

I had thought that -- perhaps Jor-El's isn't military grade -- but Jor-El's suit is most certainly armor (see the gauntlets -- and his use of a rifle of some sort). What would he use it for other than for military use? What practical difference in use could account for one having biological elements to it and the other not having any biological elements at all?

I think you're just reading way too much into it. Zod and Faora are soldiers. I think it's safe to assume that what they're wearing is standard gear for the Kryptonian military. Jor-El, on the other hand, is a scientist. His armor can look however he wants it to. The biological elements might exist because his armor is able to (for example) form weapons out of pieces of itself; monitor his vitals; and other things of that nature. It might even be a prototype armor that he designed for the military that he, for whatever reason, is forced to use at some point(which would explain some of the similar design elements).

Either way: everyone you're looking at is Kryptonian and the fact that their armor looks different probably doesn't mean anything significant.

Last edited:
I think you're just reading way too much into it. Zod and Faora are soldiers. I think it's safe to assume that what they're wearing is standard gear for the Kryptonian military. Jor-El, on the other hand, is a scientist. His armor can look however he wants it to. The biological elements might exist because his armor is able to (for example) form weapons out of pieces of itself; monitor his vitals; and other things of that nature. It might even be a prototype armor that he designed for the military that he, for whatever reason, is forced to use at some point.

Either way: everyone you're looking at is Kryptonian and the fact that their armor looks different probably doesn't mean anything significant.
Maybe. It's all speculation at this point.

The difference in design is almost certainly intentional, though.

Intentional, yes, but the significance of it probably isn't as large as you think. We'll see.

i demand an explanation from WB why Zod's armor is CGI. based on this new toy there is no way that an actor couldnt wear it or that Legacy Effects(Stan Winston) couldnt build it.

Intentional, yes, but the significance of it probably isn't as large as you think. We'll see.
I don't think so. I think it's part of what makes them different and is part of why they're fighting.

i demand an explanation from WB why Zod's armor is CGI. based on this new toy there is no way that an actor couldnt wear it or that Legacy Effects(Stan Winston) couldnt build it.
He probably couldn't wear it and still be physically active and agile, though.

I don't think so. I think it's part of what makes them different and is part of why they're fighting.

He probably couldn't wear it and still be physically active and agile, though.
it sounded like they used a CGI suit for every zod armor scene. why couldnt they use the suit for close ups and simple movement?

physicall active ? then why not make a male version of Ursa's suit? her is not bulky.

worked for green lantern why not here....
actually cg armor does seem to consistently work for Ironman.
And Faora did have a practical suit on set.

Two things about the ironman approach. It does often times seem the cgi suit looks more alive than the practical plastic one. You see a similar effect in the Tranformers movies.

What's of note however is when you have to composite the cgi over human flesh, namely a head and face, that's where it get's mad tricky and as seen in Ironman(the suiting up), often falls short.

it sounded like they used a CGI suit for every zod armor scene. why couldnt they use the suit for close ups and simple movement?

physicall active ? then why not make a male version of Ursa's suit? her is not bulky.
Zack prefers the CGI because it looks more real. As long as he delivers on that, who cares? Judging by his past films, it's hard to tell where the CGI begins and the makeup ends.

The TDKR promo shots and stills got a wider audience. These will only be seen by us hardcore types. They're not ruining anything for us -- and they're much less concerned about marketing to us. 98+% of people that see the movie will have never seen these, so the "backwards" nature of their release is kind of irrelevant.

Yeah, that's my point. We had real stills from TDKR at this point to attract the attention of the general audience. These unofficial photos from toy fairs and stuff only catch the attention of us hardcore types. It just seems like Warner Bros was doing a better job of raising the awareness of the general audience before TDKR when it actually needed less marketing than this film does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"