All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying the items on the list were not shot ,
I am saying we dont know that they survived the final cut .
I hate to bring up SR again,
But we know they shot Clarks Journey to Krypton,
it didnt make it into the film.

Ah right, see what you mean now :) Yeah that's fair.

Well I've been prepared for the worst for quite some time. I made a post about Man of Steel possibly underperforming and the Superman boards turning into a place where people argue about two failed projects.

So hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.

Honestly, if I enjoy the film but this place is really divided and there is a lot of negative opinion... i'm just not gonna come to the boards anymore.

It'd be impossible to not feel defensive, and I really just wanna be able to love the film for myself... it doesn't have to suit everyone, I just want it to suit me :) (And in fairness, i'll let a lot of faults slide and still be happy)

The comment that got me was " according to one person Cavill was fine, but easily replaceable."

Of course, plenty of better actors out there. But this is a role where the look counts just as much so good luck finding anyone who can beat this:

nlbf6h.jpg

:woot:

Really? I'd trade looking the part and serviceable acting for similar looking and great performance any day.

The first Superman movie had Brando and Hackman but the film still belonged to Chris Reeve. It's one thing to have someone steal scenes it's another thing if his performance is lacking. Tonight I'll overeact to these twitter comments. Tomorrow I'll regain my composure.

The bolded just reminds me how lucky we were that Chris Reeve played Superman.

He managed to look the part AND have a great performance...which for some seems impossible nowadays.

Really? I'd trade looking the part and serviceable acting for similar looking and great performance any day.

QFT

There are too many great actors putting in great superhero performances nowadays to just settle. Especially when it comes to a character like Superman.

This is just the beginning. There will be so many of these leaked reactions over the next few months we're going to go insane.

Reeves had the right approach for the part, at least for that time.
Superman as Friend .
Cavill in MOS loooks like Superman as Friend and BADASS!

As I said, Cavill easily has enough acting talent and natural on screen presence/charisma/charm to be a great Superman (in fact I think he was born for this role because I don't think there's any other role he could ever be great at. All his good/best qualities are literally what an actor playing Supes needs) But there's no telling if the script and the director takes an advantage of that. Routh could have been a much better Superman in my eyes than he was (not great, but a good one anyway) but a lot of it was not his fault.

And again, we may look back on this in 4 months and laugh at the false reports and the overreaction to it...I hope so anyway.

QFT

There are too many great actors putting in great superhero performances nowadays to just settle. Especially when it comes to a character like Superman.

In an ideal world yes. But I think that's harder for Superman because he is so particularly difficult to cast.

You notice the twitter response didn't mention Amy Adams' performance.

What I fear more than this movie not being good is that people are going to blame it on Superman being dated and irrelevant rather than it simply being a bad movie. Two bad movies in a row? It must be that Superman sucks. What else could it be? :whatever:

Cavill is a competent actor. I think he's better than Chris Hemsworth and people are fine with him.

I might be in the minority here but I'd rather have an actor who looks the part and does a decent and serviceable job than one who does not look the part but is the best actor in the world.
Is it too much to ask for both?

tumblr_m9yboqIGqx1qj9xato1_500.gif

Holy s*** G.Godfrey, that was awesome, did you do that yourself?
It's pretty amazing how this guy looks so right for the part and let's give him a break, if he doesn't come across as amazing in the movie lets cut him some slack and hope that for the sequel (fingers crossed) he'll have much more "court" and gets an even better impression at it, come on, can't be easy portray IN A REBOOT the most enigmatic of superheroes IMHO....

What I fear more than this movie not being good is that people are going to blame it on Superman being dated and irrelevant rather than it simply being a bad movie. Two bad movies in a row? It must be that Superman sucks. What else could it be? :whatever:

Its looking like the movie itself is good. I think some of us are just wondering if the lead is going to be amazing or just passable.

Nicolas Cage was nearly Superman...

Seriously guys... perspective :p

Is it too much to ask for both?

tumblr_m9yboqIGqx1qj9xato1_500.gif

For some Superman fans...apparently yes.

I mean, they got a good actor to play Captain America...a guy just as square jawed and overly idealistic as Superman....hell, they didnt even try to make him more "Serious", and they still pulled it off.

And again, we may look back on this in 4 months and laugh at the false reports and the overreaction to it...I hope so anyway.

Yeah, it could be they were just looking for something to criticize. I don't even know what "fine but replaceable" means. Were they expecting him to do what Heath Ledger did for Joker? Superman isn't that dramatic a character anyway.

Good job of Conner for asking. But if they didn't mention her than I'm thinking she didn't wow them like how supposely Shannon and Crowe did.

That's if this is all accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"