All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
From out perspective, WB has been sitting on this film like a knitting hen. They wrapped so gotdamn long ago and even now can show full composited screenings the likes of which a Pacific Rim could only dream.

Makes sense considering the original release date.
I was one to point this out often in the past. However, it's easy to forget that until a day ago, we had arguably seen more of MoS than IM3 even though it comes out 2 months later.

That being said, they are thus far selling this film in that Returns way. What's sad about that is Returns had no choice but to sell itself as a ponderous little film. Why we haven't seen the answer to avengers in the marketing yet is kinda lame imo. No one has ever seen superman throw a live action punch outside of TV...

Yes, forgive me, insider. :o

Yep, and fans questioned TDKR's marketing too.
TDKR needed no marketing...remember TDK?? That sold TDKR. THATS how you market a film.
This is eerily similar to the marketing that SR got. a couple of posters, a couple of trailers, toy pics,.....wait, SR got more with singer doing the blogs.:o

Unless the marketing really picks up, AND like pronto, I wouldnt be surprised if we have another BB on our hands, ie, an ok B.O. with really good dvd sales.

If WB is so proud of it like rumors say, and if its so great with lots of action, then why not throw it out there and let the public see that it is...Like another poster said, I knew the marketing would be slow, but jeebus.

Point is, It doesn't matter how good MOS is if folks think its gonna be the same ole same ole superman film again.....they simply won't come to find out.

Last edited:
Even that quote from the Art of War, used in this context, implies that MOS would lose a fight with IM3. That's pessimism, not caution. It means you think there's a good change you'll lose.

Caution goes out the window when you have a winning strategy and a winning product.
But you ignored the relevant “will be victorious” part of the quote. :cwink:

I just think that Iron Man enjoys several advantages (recent and huge popularity, a “coolness factor” and RDJ). On the other hand, Superman has “baggage.” At best, people might be curious and tentatively optimistic about MOS. But if you pit two action-oriented trailers against each other, IM3 probably steals most of the thunder (especially since it’s out 6 weeks earlier). So why engage in direct combat - as if both films were being released simultaneously? Let the opponent expend some or most of its energy, and then you’ve got clearer ground.

Iron Man has been releasing character posters constantly. They have something new for the fans all the time.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, for crying out loud, is feeding the fans something little every day. At least some sort of official set photo. Is it much? No. Is it enough to keep their fans talking about the film (which is really important)? Yes.

That's what you want. You want people talking about it. Which doesn't happen if you give them nothing to talk about.

Yet he's being promoted as if he did. His brand is being employed at will by WB. The atmosphere and tone of the film only adds to the public perception.

Yeah. When I showed the trailer to my brother, who is a casual movie fan, he immidiately said it looked and felt "Nolan-esque".

They have been too held back in the marketing I think, I really think they should be marketing the hell out if this film after what happened with Superman Returns. Admittedly I don't think a Superbowl spot was a necessity but I think they missed a trick there. Whoever said they should put a TV spot on the Walking Dead finale was on the money for me. I'd even argue they should do something with the finale of Arrow like they did for Batman Begins with Smallville's season 4 finale.

Okay, so I'm sure this won't happen, but I would LOVE to see a series of MAN OF STEEL posters that mirror shots from famous old comic book covers. Such as Action Comics #1, Superman #1, or the cover Superman: For Tomorrow.

TDKR needed no marketing...remember TDK?? That sold TDKR. THATS how you market a film.
This is eerily similar to the marketing that SR got. a couple of posters, a couple of trailers, toy pics,.....wait, SR got more with singer doing the blogs.:o

Unless the marketing really picks up, AND like pronto, I wouldnt be surprised if we have another BB on our hands, ie, an ok B.O. with really good dvd sales.

If WB is so proud of it like rumors say, and if its so great with lots of action, then why not throw it out there and let the public see that it is...Like another poster said, I knew the marketing would be slow, but jeebus.

Point is, It doesn't matter how good MOS is if folks think its gonna be the same ole same ole superman film again.....they simply won't come to find out.

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I remember the SR promotional campagn and it was huge (at least in NY). I remember over on the east side near the entrance to the tunnel there was a SR poster that covered a whole building at least 40 stories with the picture of him floating above earth. A whole bunch of other gigantic promo materials were all over the city, but that one always took my breath away.

I miss the old threads, back when we had patience and we all just wanted to talk about how much we loved Superman, and what we dreamed of seeing in this film. The Story thread. The Superman characterisation thread. The first trailer thread before there was a trailer and it was all just our wonderful imaginations going wild.

Sometimes I go back and read through those threads to remind myself how intelligent and passionate the posters in this section of the forum can be, and that it's only now, after years of wishing and waiting and living off nothing but tid bits, that we have nothing left to say but 'I'M HUNGRY'! :funny:

well, I like taco's.

This is eerily similar to the marketing that SR got. a couple of posters, a couple of trailers, toy shots,.....wait, that got more with singer doing the blogs.:o

So your theory is TDKR didn't need any marketing because TDK was such a success? Sure, all WB needed at that point was to resurrect Heath Ledger, and BAM! Millions saved for WB. :o

You mean the film WB neglected when it had cash cows? You bet-cha. MOS is gonna rake in a cool 300 million by your logic.

If WB is so proud of it like rumors say, then why not throw it out there and let the public see that it is...Like another poster said, I knew the marketing would be slow, but jeebus.

Because WB is a company with other films to advertise? Granted it's slow, but why would WB forgo what's worked? WB isn't as desperate as Sony (even with two flops) to be advertising MOS with 5 trailers, a six minute preview and a billion tv spots in a month and a half span before the release date.

WB feeling confident shouldn't translate to a showcase months prior its release. That's a horrible marketing strategy. Why waste money in March when you can throw everything you have once your competition slows down or disappears temporarily?

Well, the December trailer played its part. So will the trailer that debuts in April and the TV spots that will hijack the airwaves in late May.

I miss the old threads, back when we had patience and we all just wanted to talk about how much we loved Superman, and what we dreamed of seeing in this film. The Story thread. The Superman characterisation thread. The first trailer thread before there was a trailer and it was all just our wonderful imaginations going wild.

Sometimes I go back and read through those threads to remind myself how intelligent and passionate the posters in this section of the forum can be, and that it's only now, after years of wishing and waiting and living off nothing but tid bits, that we have nothing left to say but 'I'M HUNGRY'! :funny:

Yeah, I miss that old optimism too. I had it for a long time, even deep into the silent period of the marketing. But now I'm losing it. I'm a pretty big Superman fan, and even for me these other films are sustaining my interest more than MOS. Its because they give me something to discuss with other fans, and because they allow people to feed off of each other's excitement and enthusiasm. Anticipating a film in excitement is a community event.

I hated the first ASM film and right now I'm psyched for the second one, because they keep us talking about it every day and release a little cool bit of info every day. Its not much, but it is fun discussing it with fellow Spidey fans (minus the whole Shailene Woodley debacle, which was an embarrassment to the Spidey forums).

So your theory is TDKR didn't need any marketing because TDK was such a success? Sure, all WB needed at that point was to resurrect Heath Ledger, and BAM! Millions saved for WB. :o

You mean the film WB neglected when it had cash cows? You bet-cha. MOS is gonna rake in a cool 300 million by your logic.

Because WB is a company with other films to advertise? Granted it's slow, but why would WB forgo what's worked? WB isn't as desperate as Sony (even with two flops) to be advertising MOS with 5 trailers, a six minute preview and a billion tv spots in a month and a half span before the release date.

WB feeling confident shouldn't translate to a showcase months prior its release. That's a horrible marketing strategy. Why waste money in March when you can throw everything you have once your competition slows down or disappears temporarily?

Well, the December trailer played its part. So will the trailer that debuts in April and the TV spots that will hijack the airwaves in late May.
If you dont think TDK was a big factor in TDKRs success, then I can't help you. If TDK would have made 500 mill ww instead of over a billion, do you really think rises would have made bank?

I am in no way saying rises would have flopped without TDK being so successful, but it did benefit from TDK being so successful and popular.

Not MOS related but new Superman image from Superman Unbound, really psyched for this film.

BETxNSgCcAECJYR.jpg

These are valid concerns. Batman Begins was and is the best superhero movie ever, but received a pretty mediocre push from the studio. As popular as the trilogy is, I still think it's kinda sad that there are quite a few people out there who have seen TDK/TDKR but haven't seen BB. If MOS is as good as everyone wants it to be, I hope it can find a bigger audience than BB did.

Yeah. When I showed the trailer to my brother, who is a casual movie fan, he immidiately said it looked and felt "Nolan-esque".

The first thing that my siblings mumbled during the trailer (before the Nolan producer credit) was "This feels like a Nolan film."

Not MOS related but new Superman image from Superman Unbound, really psyched for this film.

BETxNSgCcAECJYR.jpg
Pages and pages about the lack of marketing and then suddenly...an Unbound image! No one cares about a direct-to-dvd movie..Or, I must say, no one cares if you promote it or not, because we'll see it in any case, even if they won't show a still till that day..

Not according to that website... i'm gonna count, hang on...

EDIT: Yeah, by my count it's 101 as well...

I've posted on the FB page questioning it... :p
Dammit I thought today was Wednesday. :doh: My internal calender is off.

The first thing that my siblings mumbled during the trailer (before the Nolan producer credit) was "This feels like a Nolan film."

The first thing that struck me is that the cinematography felt toned down compared to Snyder's more stylistic efforts in the past. Clark wandering in the mountains definitely feels like BB, and I think that is a VERY good thing. :woot:

No one is yelling at all. :huh:
lol no. some folks can have an intelligent calm debate. I'm pretty sure we all want to see MOS make bank....that means sequels, a possible WF film, and possibly a JL film. Alot is riding on the future of MOS and I just happen to think that WB ( so far ) acts like they couldnt care less.
Am I overreacting? probably. I am possionate about superman tho, so for that I dont apologise.

Last edited:
Pages and pages about the lack of marketing and then suddenly...an Unbound image! No one cares about a direct-to-dvd movie..Or, I must say, no one cares if you promote it or not, because we'll see it in any case, even if they won't show a still till that day..

What?

Iron Man has been releasing character posters constantly. They have something new for the fans all the time.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, for crying out loud, is feeding the fans something little every day. At least some sort of official set photo. Is it much? No. Is it enough to keep their fans talking about the film (which is really important)? Yes.

That's what you want. You want people talking about it. Which doesn't happen if you give them nothing to talk about.
Supes (and most genre) fans are going to see MOS in any case. So it’s a matter of engaging the general public - at just the right time. While we might treat a new production still of Lois Lane or Perry White as “Breaking News!” they’re just pics of Adams and Fishburne to everyone else.

Obviously, I agree that advertising is important. I just think it's too early for WB to play their best cards.

Well, the December trailer played its part. So will the trailer that debuts in April and the TV spots that will hijack the airwaves in late May

Can they hijack the airwaves in late May? It isn't like it is by itself. Quite a few movies coming out with family and mass appeal.

Also I just realized Emma Watson's new movie comes out the same day. WTH? :cmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"