All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 31

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mohoo

mohoo Well-Known Member

A way WB do their visual commentary.

Here's an example (Sucker Punch spoiler at 1:45):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MbP7dP4GQ

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Just something random I thought I'd mention but the 3D for this was pretty darn good. Really good conversion to the point where I think I have to see this in 3D now. I was honestly surprised to how good it looked based on the footage.

3. ModusPonens

ModusPonens Well-Known Member

Do you mean you liked the trailer in 3D?

4. craigdbfan

Yes, what else would I mean. :funny:

5. ModusPonens

It almost sounded like you were able to sneak into an early test-screening! With all the "leaked" reviews coming out recently, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Anyway, I've been debating with myself about whether I wanted to see it in 3D or not. Honestly, I wasn't expecting an amazing 3D conversion, and I haven't seen the 3D trailer, so I was leaning toward seeing the film without 3D. However, your positive impression of the 3D trailer has me reconsidering.

6. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Maybe we should start a countdown thread for when we actually get some new and great materials from the actual film. =P

Seriously, this wait is killing me. With the way things are going, it'd almost make me think that they won't release anything good or new between now till the actual release of the film. Until Warner Bros. proves me otherwise, their promotion campaign without a doubt...SUCKS!lol

7. titansupes

titansupes Well-Known Member

That. Is. Phenomenal.

Yes. Let's do that for Man of Steel. Yes.

8. craigdbfan

Yeah I really dug it. No ghosting (crosstalk) either which usually happens in converted films. Really good stuff.

I still think I may watch it in 2D first just so I don't risk a wonky 3D conversion ruining the whole experience which may then alter my perception of the movie itself. So I'll play it safe and watch it in 2D first but based on the footage shown in the trailer the conversion was pretty darn spotless.

9. ModusPonens

Ah, yes, good idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm most definitely going to watch the film multiple times (unless, God forbid, it turns out to be [BLACKOUT]a terrible movie[/BLACKOUT]), so I might as well watch it in all formats. Although, I was really hoping to watch it in Imax first; I watched Inception first in Imax, and that was probably the most fun I've ever had in a movie theater. But will all the Imax showings of MoS be in 3D? If that's the case, I'm still faced with quite a dilemma: should I watch it first in Imax+3D, or non-Imax+non-3D? Hmmm. Decisions, decisions... :huh:

10. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I recon it's just because we had a fair bit to chew on when we were getting set pics and stuff for a while. We weren't as hungry... :funny:

Then we had the trailer with the hobbit. But it has been a looooooong time since we've had a substantial meal. We keep getting tidbits, but it doesn't hit the spot.

11. herolee10

If the promotional material from MOS was what we needed to be fed with in order to survive, then we'd all be anorexic right about now.lol We'd make Christian Bale from "The Machinist" look like a Sumo Wrestler with our skinny appearance.lol

12. hopefuldreamer

I'm going for Imax 3D hopefully. Well it'll be whatever they are showing it in at the BFI Imax in London at hopefully a midnight viewing... :D

I've only ever really had a bad time with 3D with The Hobbit 48fps, and since this is just a post conversion standard 3D (I've seen Immortals, TASM and a few others in 3D and thought it was fine) I doubt it'll be a problem. I'm hoping it'll look fantastic in places :)

Life of Pi's 3D blew me away! But that's a bit diff.

:hehe: Our poor skinny fan souls are dying! DYING, you hear that WB! :(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  13. herolee10

Makes me wonder though, I mean, should we just give up into thinking that we'll be getting anything new for the remainder of the month? I mean, I'm pretty sure that we'll get something in April (if we don't, then We're seriously screwed when it comes to the promotion of this film).

14. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

I’ve only seen two 3D movies - Avatar and Hobbit. Maybe it was the theaters/projection, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied by the brightness levels. I rationalized, however, that - in watching the films in their native formats - I was respecting the directors’ artistic intention. :cwink: But since MOS was shot in 2D I’m tempted to give the specialty screenings a pass (and enjoy a nice bright print!).

15. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

I really hope we look back at this in 4 months, laugh, and say wb was right in knowing MOS would be a huge hit.

I say that because I sure don't want us to be saying, ''we told you so wb, you should have marketed it more and harder.''

I honestly have no idea which it will be.

16. hopefuldreamer

In fairness, The Wolverine is only out a month later, and has that even had a teaser yet?

(If it has, then that just goes to show how little attention I've been paying :funny:)

17. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

This. I really don't like how much shade the glasses put on movies. If they are going to make movies in 3D they need to enrich the colors for that format.

Sometimes I lower my glasses to see how much more vibrant the colors are and it's a very noticeable difference. I'm surprised they haven't figured this out yet.

18. gkokujin

gkokujin Well-Known Member

not even ONE teaser... no NOTHING. but badly edited pictures and set photos that show nothing worth getting excited over.

:cmad:

19. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Yeah but Hugh Jackman as Wolverine markets itself. Infact I just had a thought they'll probably debut a DOFP teaser with that.

WBs really should've done a Superbowl spot for MOS

20. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

sure helped john carter lol

21. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Haha true :p

22. mohoo

mohoo Well-Known Member

Also "Elysium."

Less than two months after MoS and no trailer, no teaser, not even a poster.

23. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Fox did the same with First Class(which actually was a rushed production). They had lame early photos and posters and then blitzed the world with pretty much the entire movie via tv spots and trailer in a condensed time frame.
    meh, it might work, it is wolverine after all. The one thing to note is that the brand has been tarnished since the last film.

It really comes down to the marketing style. The world knows who superman is and thus far they haven't been sold as to why this is anything different than the pensive crap from the past. They need to pull a hand out of TDK/TDKR and pretty much all of Marvel's cards and start selling the villain and character in costume.
    I'm sure half the world still think Lex is Supermans only villain and will be again.

I just watched this trailer again, the marketing dept literally crafted their own take on the movie choosing to focus on the "good" and shunting the lame. They even went with the old school narrator selling concept approach lol.
    [YT]prCwMWnZZ24[/YT]

24. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

One of the many things that was an odd sell about that movie was the GL core. They looked like a bunch of giraffe's, roosters and calculators. There's a reason Star trek, and Star wars use humaniods for the majority of their characterizations, not sure what it is exactly but it's better.

25. robmx522

robmx522 Well-Known Member

i think its smart you don't wanna wear people out with superman ...people still remember superman returns ...most of the people i tell about this movie still think its the same ole sucky superman ...if they start pushing superman on people early it may push them away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.