All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but Hugh Jackman as Wolverine markets itself. Infact I just had a thought they'll probably debut a DOFP teaser with that.

WBs really should've done a Superbowl spot for MOS

I'm not so sure Jackman as Wolverine sells itself. I mean Origins didn't make a mint... And I think a lot of people see this as dragging it out a bit.

I'm not so sure Jackman as Wolverine sells itself. I mean Origins didn't make a mint... And I think a lot of people see this as dragging it out a bit.

Origins still made a significant profit... especially considering the leaked blue-print and the fact that it was already treading water covering the origin story again.

As for Man of Steel... I'm now slightly worried that WB are approaching this like they did with The Dark Knight Rises. Fair enough to do that with Batman, but they NEED to be more upfront with Superman. This movies success is still very much 50/50...

What the harm in releasing some stills and character posters?

They need to start emphasising the ACTION in the promotional trailers. No more of Superman looking regal and thoughtful.

i think its smart you don't wanna wear people out with superman ...people still remember superman returns ...most of the people i tell about this movie still think its the same ole sucky superman ...if they start pushing superman on people early it may push them away
That’s the thing. Folks seemed to be impressed with the arty/serious/Nolan-esque tone of the teaser and trailer. Now this shouldn’t be the only approach or strategy, but it was a good “first impression” - it piqued a lot of curiosity. However, it probably wasn’t the right tone for a boisterous Super Bowl crowd. And instead of wowing 100M people, you might have turned off 100M people (especially given the last movie and the more jokey/action-y IM3 ad appearing on the same show). But then, why not make a more action-oriented MOS ad? Well, it was early February for a movie coming out it mid June. Show your best stuff too soon and you’ve got fewer toys and surprises to reveal later on. So it’s a question of timing and carefully nurturing a slow burn to full-blown marketing blitz. Now if we don’t get the beginnings of that blitz by mid-to-late April, I’ll be the first to complain. But I’m not worried yet. :word:

My sister (who is a big Oz fan) had heard they were making a new movie. And the recent TV ads told her the film was being released this weekend. She plans to go. There’s your successful marketing campaign. :cwink:

Well so far I'm going to be reponsible for at least a few tickets being sold. I'm organising (demanding) a group of us from work go, am trying to get everyone I can from my group of friends in the city to go, and also gonna go home and get all my old friends together to see it too :hehe:

One of em said the other day 'you know if it wasn't for you I wouldn't give a stuff about this film, but your getting me quite excited!'

I think I've somehow managed to get the balance right between talking about it enough to create hype, but not so much people are bored.

Of course it's easier with the women and gay guys. I just show em a pic of Cavill shirtless and say 'wanna come see him play Superman' and they all emphatically agree :p

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, in light of the mostly poor Iron Man 2 reception, Marvel has done a solid job getting the audience on board for the next installment.

Starting with their big Ironman and the Avengers movie, then the big fun trailers and ads all over the place to the fun focus on action campaign that had the superbowl and general audience won over. Amazing that they are selling a dark/defeated end to the trilogy yet at the same time it seems like more of the same old fun people seem to enjoy. Long story short, they are selling it to win and come opening day it will. I see an opening at least 15 units higher than the last. Which few would have thought post IM2.

Superman is in a similar position as Iron Mas was post lackluster reception. Yet WB is going about it very differently. Granted it is a reboot...
I do hope come trilogy's end when we get that obligatory defeated episode, we get a death of superman marketing campaign.

One thing is for sure, in light of the mostly poor Iron Man 2 reception, Marvel has done a solid job getting the audience on board for the next installment.
I had heard that 2 was conspicuously inferior to its predecessor - and just assumed this to be the case. But I finally got around to watching it and thought it was actually quite good. Then I checked BOMojo and RT and discovered that it was very successful and the reviews were generally positive. Interesting that there’s a different opinion among the fan community. :cwink:

I had heard that 2 was conspicuously inferior to its predecessor - and just assumed this to be the case. But I finally got around to watching it and thought it was actually quite good. Then I checked BOMojo and RT and discovered that it was very successful and the reviews were generally positive. Interesting that there’s a different opinion among the fan community. :cwink:

Yes that must have popped out of thin air. Tmr someone might start a similar rumor about how poorly received TDK was at it's time.

Maybe this will be the first IronMan to outperform a Spiderman Film, stranger things...

Last edited:
Origins still made a significant profit... especially considering the leaked blue-print and the fact that it was already treading water covering the origin story again.

As for Man of Steel... I'm now slightly worried that WB are approaching this like they did with The Dark Knight Rises. Fair enough to do that with Batman, but they NEED to be more upfront with Superman. This movies success is still very much 50/50...

What the harm in releasing some stills and character posters?

They need to start emphasising the ACTION in the promotional trailers. No more of Superman looking regal and thoughtful.

Thanks, I was gonna say that about Wolverine :up:

I think if they really kick start from April and shove this out there that'l be enough, I mean most people don't even know a films coming out until a week before anyway. I think they are really gonna push this in terms of merchandise when its out.

Bit of bummer that with SXSW going on WB couldn't of shown up with something MOS related.

Ah well another week down! Let's see what next week brings us!

WB is either:

A. Extremely confident in the final product
B. Extremely overconfident in thinking the Superman name alone will sell the movie
C. Extremely stupid

I'm hoping it's A........but it's WB.......so ya never know

you wanna combat the feelings people have of Superman Returns? we wont like it but...

put in EVERY trailer FROM THE DIRECTORS OF THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY and 300 and SUCKERPUNCH...

that will change the simple peoples line of thinking.

That's because the general public's previous memory of Iron Man was him kicking ash in the Avengers, not boxing around dead drunk. Iron man will get a boost from the Avengers, that much is sure. I'm more interested in how much more the Thor and Cap sequels will do in light of their post Avengers popularity.

Bit of bummer that with SXSW going on WB couldn't of shown up with something MOS related.

Ah well another week down! Let's see what next week brings us!
Next time we'll hear something Mos related will be ( I suppose ):
1) Wondercon 2013 on March 29
or
2) MTV Movie Awards on April 14
or
3) Cinemacon L.A. on April 15
And obviously the third trailer and an international poster, between point 1 and 2, with Oblivion on April 12

I think WB would be quite pleased if Man of Steel earned IM2 numbers. :word:

again pathetic advertising... the new Star Trek trailer is totally killer, like absolutely killer.

Why the **** WB are screwing around I don't know but it's extremely stupid on their parts.

Soo... I haven't been on here much, did I miss anything besides the spoilers and promo art?

Next time we'll hear something Mos related will be ( I suppose ):
1) Wondercon 2013 on March 29
or
2) MTV Movie Awards on April 14
or
3) Cinemacon L.A. on April 15
And obviously the third trailer and an international poster, between point 1 and 2, with Oblivion on April 12

Well we had stuff this week with possible screening impressions, book artwork and covers which is something, at least for me.

Of course we could continue talking about WB alledged marketing failure...:bdh:

Forgot about WonderCon and I wonder if we'd see a TV spot during The Walking Dead finale that Sunday too.

That's because the general public's previous memory of Iron Man was him kicking ash in the Avengers, not boxing around dead drunk. Iron man will get a boost from the Avengers, that much is sure. I'm more interested in how much more the Thor and Cap sequels will do in light of their post Avengers popularity.

Makes me wonder why people think it's such a bad idea that wb go forward with jla before solo's.

The collab film may suffer a bit but then you wouldn't get another cap or thor part one...or perhaps it needs to be that way otherwise avengers is nothing...So much money at stake, so little time...

I think WB would be quite pleased if Man of Steel earned IM2 numbers. :word:

true

Nobody expect me liked SuckerPunch. They should continue to pimp Nolan and they will because they aren't dumb enough not to and 300 and Watchmen because it made over 100mil and has it's defenders.

Notice how much Jack the Giant Flop pimped out Singer as the "director of X-Men" because his X-films are well liked hits. They might have but I don't ever recall WB pimping Superman Returns during that movie's promotion. Same with Oz and with their "From the director of the Spider-Man trillogy" stuff.

They put from the director of 300 and Watchmen on the first trailer but Watchmen is such a devisive film that they could leave it on or off. I don't think it matters too much either way.

again pathetic advertising... the new Star Trek trailer is totally killer, like absolutely killer.

Why the **** WB are screwing around I don't know but it's extremely stupid on their parts.
I suppose there are as many ad strategies as there are movies. But it isn’t obvious that WB is playing this in a particularly unique (or poor) manner. Generally…

Modern campaigns have three acts: a year or more before the film débuts, you introduce it with ninety-second teaser trailers and viral Internet “leaks” of gossip or early footage, in preparation for the main trailer, which appears four months before the release; five weeks before the film opens, you start saturating with a “flight” of thirty-second TV spots; and, at the end, you remind with fifteen-second spots, newspaper ads, and billboards. Studios typically spend about ten million dollars on the “basics” (cutting trailers and designing posters, conducting market research, flying the film’s talent to the junket and the première, and the première itself) and thirty million on the media buy. Between seventy and eighty per cent of that is spent on television advertising (enough so that viewers should see the ads an average of fifteen times), eight or nine per cent on Internet ads, and the remainder on newspaper and outdoor advertising. The hope is that a potential viewer will be prodded just enough to make him decide to see what all the fuss is about.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/01/19/090119fa_fact_friend?currentPage=all

:hmm

If they start ramping it up from April it's gonna be fine. Once the next trailer hits I'm expecting them to fly into the marketing (no pun intended)

April will be a great month, we won't know what to do with so much new stuff :p
Question is will we get any morsels of new stuff from WB throughout the rest of March.

If you been following this movie, You know alot, But you don't know alot.As crazy as that sounds.

Well I'd expect either Total Film or SFX cover this month. Does Wizard magazine still exist?

Also I reckon from what's been said we'll probably get the character posters this month.

On the subject of April, I'm gonna hate April 1st with all the fake/BS nonsense.

On the subject of April, I'm gonna hate April 1st with all the fake/BS nonsense.
Well, I would say to just ignore all movie-related "news" that day, but then, Joss Whedon entered the picture as the frontrunner to direct Avengers on that day (the amount of people hoping it was an April Fool's joke was hilarious), so I guess there's no safe solution, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"