All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does it look like something weird is going on around Superman's feet in that last spy photo? It looks like there is something red between his boots and cape.

Is it just me or does it look like something weird is going on around Superman's feet in that last spy photo? It looks like there is something red between his boots and cape.

Me too... It seems like a part of the cape that is not waving

Do you guys think that any of the people involved in the production or even some of the WB suits come to this website and just sit and watch what we are talking about?

Sorry toots, but do YOU live in the same country as him? :o
I thought Henry was planning on moving to LA.

Just read pages and pages of discussion about Cavill and his Suit.

I just have to remind some posters that to create a suit they have to take scans and molds of his body, so the size and shape of the suit depends on that (with some added padding), this is not a muscle suit like the one Vinnie Jones had put in X-Men 3 for the role of Juggernaut.

The point I am making is, that not any skinny guy can wear it and look the same as Henry because it is made specifically for him.

View attachment 7021

View attachment 7023

I think these two shots show pretty clearly that the suit mimics Henry's physique pretty closely, but that there is a little bit of well-placed padding to prevent the tight suit from compressing Cavill's body and reducing the visibility of his hardwork. Ironically, given how small the size difference is, if as Poni Boy suggests the suit material is really thick that actually undermines his argument about padding. It would suggest that there is less padding that he is asserting.

This.

I wouldn't even really call it padding. What is in there is just sculpted musculature (based on Cavill's actual sculpt, to an extent).

With the exception of some extra padding add to the legs, they entire suit is filled out by Cavill himself. The suit does not add any size to Cavill and if it does, its VERY minimal.

I think we all agree that the suit has some form of "padding", but it really is minimal. The fact that he looks so good in the suit is more because he was in great shape, rather than because the suit was made to make him look that way. But at the end of the day, that's a combined effort between his dedication to get in shape, and the people who made the suit. They should all be given credit for it, because Henry is probably the best looking live-action version of Superman yet.

I think we all agree that the suit has some form of "padding", but it really is minimal. The fact that he looks so good in the suit is more because he was in great shape, rather than because the suit was made to make him look that way. But at the end of the day, that's a combined effort between his dedication to get in shape, and the people who made the suit. They should all be given credit for it, because Henry is probably the best looking live-action version of Superman yet.

Ehh i would still give that to reeve. I'm not even a huge fan of the original superman films but i still think reeves is the standard for the physical personification for superman and the fact that he was able to look like he did with no padding or a high-tech suit is testament to that.

14952625-14952628-large.jpg

I give MOS props for not pulling a returns though and trying to cast a reeve 2.0 which would never live up to the original. Cavil is unique enough to avoid too many reeve comparisons.

I disagree. People are probably going to rape me for saying this, but I'm not a fan of Christopher Reeve, nor I am a fan of the old Superman films. Cavill has a way better physique and looks better in the suit in my opinion.

It's debatable who has the better physique per se. If your idea of superman is the broad chested 6'3"+ tall figure than you'd go with Reeve.

Cavil has more of that modern gym defined look but he's about 3 inches shorter than reeves.

Cavil obviously has the advantage in the suit department with the modern textures and padding but i don't think he'd look as impressive as reeve did in the old school suit, while i think reeve would arguably look great in the new suit.

It's debatable who has the better physique per se. If your idea of superman is the broad chested 6'3"+ tall figure than you'd go with Reeve.

Cavil has more of that modern gym defined look but he's about 3 inches shorter than reeves.

Cavil obviously has the advantage in the suit department with the modern textures and padding but i don't think he'd look as impressive as reeve did in the old school suit, while i think reeve would arguably look great in the new suit.

If he put on some weight, sure.

Reeve obviously has the advantage of being 3 inches taller. But still, he's nowhere near as muscular and big as Cavill is. I can sacrifice 3 inches for a "modern gym defined look". :)

Don't forget that Cavill also tried on the old school suit, and that got him the role.

Reeve put on weight? he wouldn't have to. He was already a massive guy, he just didn't have a suit that accentuated and added on to his musculature. Which is why reeve in the MOS suit would look great.

Superman_fence1_zps24592b0e.jpg

CW-STM-city-portrait-23.jpg

Again cavill for all his work wouldn't look nearly the same had he had to wear the suit that reeve did and it's debatable whether he'd look as good as reeve did in it?

Last edited:
Reeve put on weight? he wouldn't have to. He was already a massive guy, he just didn't have a suit that accentuated and added on to his musculature. Which is why reeve in the MOS suit would look great.

Superman_fence1_zps24592b0e.jpg
CW-STM-city-portrait-23.jpg

If you look at the test screen, Reeve was really skinny. He had to put on weight.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2er0MX-Cc[/YT]

I can't see your vid but yeah i don't deny that reeve started off skinny, it's a pretty well known fact. He started training however with the bodybuilder who played Darth Vader actually and starting putting on a lot of muscle.

He actually got noticeably bigger through-out the course the 1st movie and even into the rest of the series. He had a great base to start from however (arguably better than cavil's). He had naturally very broad shoulders something that you have to be born with.

It's funny how conversation seem to rotate on these boards. Like this padding issue. I think it was agreed early on that the suit's padding is minimal, since this picture was one of the first ones we saw:

man-of-steel-set-photo-bearded-clark-kent-goes-shirtless.jpg

man-of-steel-set-photo-bearded-clark-kent-goes-shirtless.jpg

MOS suit has padding so as to compensate for the compression that happens when anyone wears a suit like that.

The suit itself is made after taking scans, molds and sculpts of Cavill himself.

Last edited:
I disagree. People are probably going to rape me for saying this, but I'm not a fan of Christopher Reeve, nor I am a fan of the old Superman films. Cavill has a way better physique and looks better in the suit in my opinion.

tumblr_lm479tAoDM1qc9srmo1_400.gif

View attachment 7021

View attachment 7023

I think these two shots show pretty clearly that the suit mimics Henry's physique pretty closely, but that there is a little bit of well-placed padding to prevent the tight suit from compressing Cavill's body and reducing the visibility of his hardwork. Ironically, given how small the size difference is, if as Poni Boy suggests the suit material is really thick that actually undermines his argument about padding. It would suggest that there is less padding that he is asserting.
I recall a shot in S-M2 where it seemed obvious that Maguire’s outfit had some overall thickness (similar to a wetsuit) - which would have augmented his apparent size. But in the photo of Cavill you posted, you can see a few wrinkles near the shoulder and throat. (Even the chest shield has a wrinkle.) So I’m guessing that the suit material is comparatively thin.

Reeve put on weight? he wouldn't have to. He was already a massive guy, he just didn't have a suit that accentuated and added on to his musculature.

True, I didn't say he didn't have mass, but honestly I'm not that impressed by his physique with the suit on, than I am with Cavill's with is shirt off.

Again cavill for all his work wouldn't look nearly the same had he had to wear the suit that reeve did and it's debatable whether he'd look as good as reeve did in it?

I pretty much agree. But as we know, Cavill did try on the Reeve suit for the auditioning, and as I recall "nobody laughed", and his appearance in it was a factor in the decision to cast him as Superman. I wish we could've seen it as well.

He had a great base to start from however (arguably better than cavil's). He had naturally very broad shoulders something that you have to be born with.

This is extremely debatable. Cavill has a great build too, and great genetics. He has a fantastic frame, and being a shorter guy than Reeve, it's naturally easier to fill it in and look bigger. I haven't seen any photos of Reeve shirtless to be able to judge it, apart from this one:

c.jpg

But I think this is not a good example to comment on his physique for Superman. It's obvious that he did put on mass, and being a tall guy he looks massive, but I'm still not as impressed by him than I am with Cavill.

It's funny how conversation seem to rotate on these boards. Like this padding issue. I think it was agreed early on that the suit's padding is minimal, since this picture was one of the first ones we saw:

Agreed. That was my point.

I'm really hoping that we get Blu ray extras showing Cavills audition in the Reeve suit,even if it's a short clip with no dialogue,I'd love to see him in that suit,and see him walk out in it for the first time,just like Snyder and his team did.

That would give us a great comparison of how he carries himself in the suit,although it wouldn't be a physical comparison as Cavill had not yet even started the bulking up phase of his training then.

I'm really hoping that we get Blu ray extras showing Cavills audition in the Reeve suit,even if it's a short clip with no dialogue,I'd love to see him in that suit,and see him walk out in it for the first time,just like Snyder and his team did.

That would give us a great comparison of how he carries himself in the suit,although it wouldn't be a physical comparison as Cavill had not yet even started the bulking up phase of his training then.

Yeah I really hope they filmed this audition. Would be incredible to watch.

Originally Posted by Norek

This is extremely debatable. Cavill has a great build too, and great genetics. He has a fantastic frame, and being a shorter guy than Reeve, it's naturally easier to fill it in and look bigger. I haven't seen any photos of Reeve shirtless to be able to judge it, apart from this one:

Urmm.. I think Bruce Malone is taling about the frame (Bone structure, wide shoulders).

Reeve arguably had the best and biggest frame regardless of muscle mass he had.

In terms of frame size -

Chris reeve > Tom welling > Routh > Cavill.

Cavill has great genetics and muscles but he has average frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"