All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw some old video of Amy Adams on the red carpet from Trouble with the Curve. She said some nice things about Henry. Granted, co stars usually say nice things. I'm sure they said wonderful things about Brandon Routh but...

Amy said: "Henry is Superman. You believe you are doing a scene with Superman when you're in a scene with him."

Lets hope she's being truthful. We can talk all we want about marketing and costumes and hairstyles. But we all need to believe Henry is Superman or the film literally can't take off.

EDIT: It'd be nice if they did.

Okay then well start going there.

New topic-
What should Supermans mission in the franchise be?For example Batmans main mission was to eradicate crime from Gotham and bring peace to the city and the main trilogy centresed around this conflict.

So what shld Superman main mission/challenge be?

Why avoid them if you don't have to? The GA can be excited about multiple films at one time. Given that MOS won't have to compete that much with Star Trek and IM3 in terms of ticket sales due to its release date, it shouldn't really be threatened that much by the marketing of those two films.

It'll be less effective, wait a few weeks then you will be the only big thing in every blog and news site.

But throw what you have now, then try to invest in the last weeks with what's become old news.

EDIT: It'd be nice if they did.

The other day I asked here if there were any Civil War buffs who might want to speculate / explain what the significance might be of Shannon reading Grant's memoirs in preparation for the Zod role. No one bit though.

Did anyone here see those pics posted on the Superman: Man of Steel fb page?

I didn't get the chance to see them before they were taken down.

However, you don't have to spoil anything major. A few promo pics of Zod wouldn't spoil much. A few promo pics of Lois wouldn't spoil much. Its not like you have to dish out plot points. The "marketing = spoilers so that's why WB is avoiding it" argument is absurd. That's a completely backwards way to think about marketing.

But then, it is right in line with your argument from yesterday that "marketing is only to create awareness, not build interest."

Also, where has WB stated that they want to keep MOS "spoiler free?" I keep seeing this touted as fact, as if that's the reason behind their whole marketing strategy, when I've never seen such a statement from the horse's mouth.

What makes me think WB is trying to keep MOS as spoiler-free as possible?

Maybe becuse they did the SAME thing for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. And who was responsible for those films? Oh right, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer..
The same 2 people who are involved in MOS (Nolan may be a producer, but he's not a name-only type - the fact he talks about MOS and chose the director proves he HAS an influence).

And the fact that the Dark Knight Trilogy made WB over 2 and a HALF BILLION dollars, using the low-key marketing?

Yes, you're right. There is NO WAY WB would ever consider trying to make MOS spoiler-free, because its NEVER worked for THEIR approach, has it?:whatever:

You sound like you just want to see Zod only. You seem to forget that Zod is NOT the selling point of MOS - HC's Superman is. He's the focus, HE'S the most important marketing tool. It's why EVERY marketing piece so far is focused on him alone - posters of him only, trailers focused on him ONLY, images released of SUPERMAN ONLY. Please stop comparing this to films like Spider-man 2, TDK / TDKR. In the first film (reboot), the main character is THE most important person to market - the villain does not count.

Don't believe me? Then google for the Batman Begins Scarecrow / Ra's poster? Try the 1989 Batman Joker poster......

Thats right, they don't exist.

Those wanting a Zod poster instead of Supes in chains? Missing the point. Zod won't sell this film, Superman will.

Hopefully this film will be successful, and we'll have a MOS2. Whoever the villain is for that WILL be the marketing focus.

There's also a harsh truth that everyone here needs to understand. MOS is the underdog right now. It cannot compete with IM3 and STID because of one simple fact:-

The previous films.

ST (2009) and the Avengers/IM2 are still in the minds of the audience, which is why these new films are eagerly anticipated. Even if MOS is the greatest superhero film EVER, it is still an underdog. If you don't believe that, then you are deluded.

TDK was a huge success because it built on BB. X2 succeeded by building on X1 (equally, the huge opening weekend of X3 was due to the success of X2).

MOS is a REBOOT, following an unsuccessful previous film. How can it possibly compete with 2 established franchises that people have waited years for? It can't, not really. A MOS sequel, OTOH, COULD. But thats not what we have here.

I am not defending IM3 and STID. Hell, I have issues with WB for SO MANY bad decisions over the years. But for MOS? No problems so far...

Okay then well start going there.

New topic-
What should Supermans mission in the franchise be?For example Batmans main mission was to eradicate crime from Gotham and bring peace to the city and the main trilogy centresed around this conflict.

So what shld Superman main mission/challenge be?

It should be to elevate mankind to be the best they can be. Like Jor-El said. mankind has potential.

ANd yeah if he has to knock some heads to achieve this so be it.

I don't think Superman wants to eradicate crime, not like bats at least.

The other day I asked here if there were any Civil War buffs who might want to speculate / explain what the significance might be of Shannon reading Grant's memoirs in preparation for the Zod role. No one bit though.

Hm thats interesting. DC Collectibles also list Zod as "megalomaniacal supervillain" for their statue which might give a little insight on Shannon's take for Zod. "Megalomaniacal, someone suffering from megalomania can be a characteristic of power-drunk or control-freak dictators, some executives, some politicians and some army generals'." Yup that'd be Zod. :funny:

I still wonder and theorize how he's imprisoned and his role on Krypton before it's destroyed and if the Phantom Zone is actually a physical prison because it's not Black Zero.

That implies that MOS is a little dog. Why wouldn't the situation be that the other "big dogs" are threatened by MOS' marketing, rather than the other way around?

MOS isn't exactly a little dog but it isn't directly competing with Iron Man 3 & STID and literally can't.

Did anyone here see those pics posted on the Superman: Man of Steel fb page?

I didn't get the chance to see them before they were taken down.

It was just the costume photos, just go back a page or 2 here. :)

Pics? When?

They were uploaded yesterday but taken down after WB cracked down on them.

According to the people running that page, the embargo on posting images (and presumably any other promotional material) doesn't end until April 28th.

It should be to elevate mankind to be the best they can be. Like Jor-El said. mankind has potential.

ANd yeah if he has to knock some heads to achieve this so be it.

I don't think Superman wants to eradicate crime, not like bats at least.

Not sure how fighting alienss and being a superpowered rescue worker does that.Whatever Supes mission should be it should explain this.

I think people just want some official pics of Zod even Batman Begins had a website that debuted with Tumbler images and then later pics of Bruce Wayne, Thomas Wayne, Falcone, Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul etc I don't think its too much to ask for WBs to do the same for Man of Steel.

They were uploaded yesterday but taken down after WB cracked down on them.

According to the people running that page, the embargo on posting images (and presumably any other promotional material) doesn't end until April 28th.

Oh right, any idea what those pics were?

BG6YyXvCIAAf09V.jpg:large

Were those seriously the pics on the FB page? :funny:

"It's something Chris (Nolan) tried hard to do with the Batman films. I'm genuinely pleased with how much secrecy we've been able to maintain. There's so much of the movie that people don't know, that hasn't been touched upon. The trailer's just the tiniest, tiniest tip of the iceberg."

- David Goyer

"It's something Chris (Nolan) tried hard to do with the Batman films. I'm genuinely pleased with how much secrecy we've been able to maintain. There's so much of the movie that people don't know, that hasn't been touched upon. The trailer's just the tiniest, tiniest tip of the iceberg."

- David Goyer

Ah thats the interview I was talking about Phantasm

No idea, it was the latest photo for Man Of Steel on Twitter. Something is just not right about them...:dry:
that would be really nice....if they were promoting SR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"