All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is something that Marvel is doing with pretty much all of the Avengers refreshing? If anything, the abandoning of the hero's secret identity is overdone right now.

The idea of anyone keeping a secret identity in this day and age is outdated. And according to the trailer, Clark's cover is already blown.

Yeah I don't know how not having a secret identity could work if wants to try and live a normal life. Works in IM cause he was already famous and loves the attention.

Precisely and, as such, it does not jive with Supes' characterization in Man of Steel. As shown through the Pa Kent rocket reveal scene, we are getting a Clark who has a very understandable desire to be normal and human and fit in. In the end, the world will accept him as Superman and he will fit in as Supes to an extent, but that doesn't mean the character does not need a release from the constant strains of being Superman.

Yeah I don't know how not having a secret identity could work if wants to try and live a normal life. Works in IM cause he was already famous and loves the attention.

Wouldn't that be an interesting area to explore in future installments? A simple Kansan trying to be a hero while dealing with unwanted celebrity.

If the celebrity was unwanted, he wouldn't reveal his secret identity in the first place.

Wouldn't that be an interesting area to explore in future installments? A simple Kansan trying to be a hero while dealing with unwanted celebrity.

I wish I could get on board with that. It just doesn't sound interesting to me lol

I think that sounds like an awful angle for Superman and I'm not one of those people averse to change.

I think that sounds like an awful angle for Superman and I'm not one of those people averse to change.

I feel the exact same way. I'm open to change but it just doesn't sound good.

The idea of anyone keeping a secret identity in this day and age is outdated. And according to the trailer, Clark's cover is already blown.

Oh please, people loved the Batman-Bruce duality in the Nolan films. The Playboy Bruce scenes got plenty of love and lots of laughs in every theatre I was in. Furthermore, you are extremely underestimating how fallible human senses and memory are. We had an entire week on it in my Law of Evidence class. You change someone's hairstyle, clothes, mannerisms, etc. and you would be surprised how hard it is to identify them as the same person. Even with computers and facial recognition software. Furthermore, if they are going with the idea that Lois and possibly others close to Clark are in on the secret and helping cover his tracks, it becomes even more plausible.

A select few like Lois knowing is fine and I'd actually like that but it would be a nightmare for him if everyone knew. People would constantly go up to asking why didn't he save so and so. Or that he needs to go intervene in this area. Essentially a god that needed to make everything better.

Random thought, but does anyone believe this movie will "set the stage" for Lex Luthor so to speak? I mean Goyer did kind of tease it last month...

"I don't think anyone has ever confirmed that we haven't included him."

I could see a surprise cameo at the end of the movie. I'm not sure if they'll show his face because they probably haven't picked out an actor yet - I think - but I could definitely see like the camera panning to the Lexcorp building and seeing a shadowy figure gazing out at Metropolis. Or maybe we just see like the back of his head as he vows to destroy Superman.

I dunno, just an idea.

Oh please, people loved the Batman-Bruce duality in the Nolan films. The Playboy Bruce scenes got plenty of love and lots of laughs in every theatre I was in. Furthermore, you are extremely underestimating how fallible human senses and memory are. We had an entire week on it in my Law of Evidence class. You change someone's hairstyle, clothes, mannerisms, etc. and you would be surprised how hard it is to identify them as the same person. Even with computers and facial recognition software. Furthermore, if they are going with the idea that Lois and possibly others close to Clark are in on the secret and helping cover his tracks, it becomes even more plausible.

For a vigilante who operates under the cover of darkness, the Batman dual identity makes sense, regardless of how improbable it may be in real life. I just don't know how Snyder will put the "My son was on the bus" woman back in the bottle. And though my interest in the film went through the roof after the latest trailer, I am dreading watching Amy Adams staring into Henry Cavill's glasses free face and asking him "Have you seen Clark?"

Exactly.

I've read a few books on spy trade-craft (spy novel fan) and they always talk about how little of a disguise you really need. A change of posture and gait go a long way, it literally changes your shape. They always talk about how "disguises" actually draw attention because trained eyes can spot a wig or some such other device. Another interesting thing is they always mention amateurs hastily donning a disguise or some heavy coat or change of clothes to shake a tail, but the giveaway is that they never usually change their shoes.

There is also context. One does not expect to see Superman in a newsroom behind a desk. Once I was out in Manhattan with my gf after picking her up from work. Walking out of the comic shop a guy walks up to me and greets me. Took me a moment to recognize him, if he kept walking I would have never seen him. My best friend Mike's next door neighbor. A dude I've known as long as my bud, a guy who would come over and hang out all the time and just because Zac lives and works in Queens (as do I) I just didnt expect to see so I didnt see him in Manhattan.

The secret identity is an essential part of his story and it by all means should be maintained. Besides, I want to see an actor play 2 people and see the literal change.

I prefer a secret identity and Chris Reeve was able to pull it off greatly, however I don't see Cavill or anyone else being able to realistically do it.

Unless there is some mind wipe I'm pretty sure Lois will know.

Lois knowing is a nice change of pace but turning Superman into the Fantastic Four sounds awful on paper. I just don't see it, I just don't want to see it.

For a vigilante who operates under the cover of darkness, the Batman dual identity makes sense, regardless of how improbable it may be in real life. I just don't know how Snyder will put the "My son was on the bus" woman back in the bottle. And though my interest in the film went through the roof after the latest trailer, I am dreading watching Amy Adams staring into Henry Cavill's glasses free face and asking him "Have you seen Clark?"

I think the Smallville mother and perhaps the rest of the town will be dealt with in the same way as Coleman Reese if anything. When normal, good people see the good that Clark has done, they choose not to rat him out. That is the idea if optimism and faith in the inner goodness of humanity that Superman is all about. If you find that unbearably unrealistic, then I suggest that no Superman movie will ever make you happy. Finally, you concern about Lois is a moot point. It's well established that she knows and has been in on it from the beginning in Man of Steel. She is chasing down a mysterious guardian angel in the film prior to Superman's reveal based on a picture of Clark in Smallville.

Just wondering but has anyone picked this up yet?
616IS%2Bi40YL.jpg

My DK Superman guide is fairly old and quite out of date so was wondering if this one was worth getting?

I pre ordered, but according to my comics shop it will only be available next wednesday.
Anyway, I'll only get to see it next month, since I'm from Brasil.:csad:

Unless there is some mind wipe I'm pretty sure Lois will know.

Lois knowing is a nice change of pace but turning Superman into the Fantastic Four sounds awful on paper. I just don't see it, I just don't want to see it.

1. Lois knowing is something i hope happens. I want her to help construct the secret identity and ect.
2. Superman being a Fantastic 4-type celebrity ? BYE.

A great deal of Supermans history in comics has lois in on Superman's identity. No reason why they should keep her out of the loop in this. I mean, it seems every other superhero movie has a love interest finding out what's up by the end.

UltimaRex posted the following on IMDb. Does he post on the Hype? I wasn't sure. Anyway guys something to discuss regardless if true.

So I've been putting out feelers for info recently with the tiny amount of people I know in the industry (no one major) and one of them dropped a probable bombshell today.

Bear in mind that this is fourth-hand at best from shifting sands and my source is iffy about it so big grain of salt time.

Ready? Deep breath...

MOS2 is Justice League.

Towards the end of post on MOS WB fell in love with it and out of love with Will Beall's "separate universe" JL script. But they still want JL for 2015 and they also want a MOS sequel sooner rather than later.

So the plan is to slap the two together.

The only details given to me is JL is a direct sequel to MOS with Goyer writing and Snyder directing. After MOS Lex Luthor starts gathering supervillians for a "society" so Superman has to put together the League to fight them. Also the TDK trilogy is indeed separate so there will be a new Batman. No Bale or JGL.

UltimaRex posted the following on IMDb. Does he post on the Hype? I wasn't sure. Anyway guys something to discuss regardless if true.

So I've been putting out feelers for info recently with the tiny amount of people I know in the industry (no one major) and one of them dropped a probable bombshell today.

Bear in mind that this is fourth-hand at best from shifting sands and my source is iffy about it so big grain of salt time.

Ready? Deep breath...

MOS2 is Justice League.

Towards the end of post on MOS WB fell in love with it and out of love with Will Beall's "separate universe" JL script. But they still want JL for 2015 and they also want a MOS sequel sooner rather than later.

So the plan is to slap the two together.

The only details given to me is JL is a direct sequel to MOS with Goyer writing and Snyder directing. After MOS Lex Luthor starts gathering supervillians for a "society" so Superman has to put together the League to fight them. Also the TDK trilogy is indeed separate so there will be a new Batman. No Bale or JGL.

Please god no, please IMDB be full of crap as usual.

I think the Smallville mother and perhaps the rest of the town will be dealt with in the same way as Coleman Reese if anything. When normal, good people see the good that Clark has done, they choose not to rat him out. That is the idea if optimism and faith in the inner goodness of humanity that Superman is all about. If you find that unbearably unrealistic, then I suggest that no Superman movie will ever make you happy.
Lack of realism doesn't bother me - the first two films made me very happy. But I assumed Snyder was going for a more realistic tone.

Finally, you concern about Lois is a moot point. It's well established that she knows and has been in on it from the beginning in Man of Steel. She is chasing down a mysterious guardian angel in the film prior to Superman's reveal based on a picture of Clark in Smallville.

I think that will be a welcome change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"