All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they'll make Cat Grant a guy. :o

The Clark and Lois relationship is already going to be very different with Lois knowing his identity early on. Perhaps that is where Jenny can come in.
So Jenny will assume the role of the clueless journalist who looks up to Superman but down at Clark?

That is the thing though, it takes away from Jimmy's relationship to Clark if you make Jenny a more Lois-centric character. Also, if this film is about Clark/Superman finally finding a home/acceptance, then the idea of him finally finding a true friend in Jimmy is especially meaningful. I mean Clark does seem to have fit in as a child. The Junior Novel really underlines that fact and even Pete Ross has been re-imagined as one of his bullies. I know Clark will be finding larger acceptance as Superman, but I really like the idea of him finding acceptance at the Planet. It is a great way to show the theme of modern cities being big, diverse communities where everyone has a place and a group of people who are like them. They might pull that off with Jenny, but as I mentioned in my post above, I have little faith in Hollywood being able to handle platonic male-female relationships successfully.

Moreover, it is probably more empowering for Lois if Jimmy/Jenny looks up to her and is a man. It means that Lois is not just a role model for other women but that she has transcended gender boundaries and is a role model for all aspiring journalists.

Oh well. As long as they do a job with the relationships, I'll be happy. I just think it could have been better the other way around.

Totally with you. Glad to see someone else feels the same way about Jimmy as I do :)

And I do think the gender matters.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - the kind of friendship that two guys have is just different from the kind of relationship a guy and a girl have. Even when it's totally plutonic, and even if the girl is particularly butch and likes doing manly things.

So Jenny will assume the role of the clueless journalist who looks up to Superman but down at Clark?
No, of course not. But she can be the person who sees Clark first and foremost. Not Superman.

I also wouldn't say Lois looks down at Clark, just doesn't really have time for him.

Totally with you. Glad to see someone else feels the same way about Jimmy as I do :)

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - the kind of friendship that two guys have is just different from the kind of relationship a guy and a girl have. Even when it's totally plutonic, and even if the girl is particularly butch and likes doing manly things.

yeah I can't have a pee sword fight with a girl, or compare the size of our memebers...you know, man things

No, of course not. But she can be the person who sees Clark first and foremost. Not Superman.

I also wouldn't say Lois looks down at Clark, just doesn't really have time for him.
In some versions she does, in some versions she doesn't.

In some versions she does, in some versions she doesn't.
I kind of like the new Clark and Lois relationship in the Superman books. One of the things I think they have handled well. Going to be nice when she finally wakes up.

I'm with you both too. :up:

Thanks, Hopeful. I'm glad you agree. We have always seemed pretty sympatico on most issues since I've been here. :up:

I have to agree on the gender issue. There is a certain difference in a friendly relationship where you know that both of you will never be attracted to each other. I have plenty of platonic female friends and I'm in a committed relationship, but even still, the "what if?" thought will pop into my head just out of curiosity. But maybe, I'm just an oversexed young man like DaJanksta. :oldrazz:

I hope we get a new tv spot with the Spurs game tonight. I will be recording with my phone in hand ready to upload the madness.

I hope we get a new tv spot with the Spurs game tonight. I will be recording with my phone in hand ready to upload the madness.

Even Tim Duncan will be happy if we get a new spot.

tumblr_m4cxj5gwkZ1qk2onv.gif

New promo image released.
They are aren't playing. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"