Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
she is a three time academy award nominee, what else do you people want?

I'd not want a repeat of MaggyG in The Dark Knight. She too is a highly acclaimed actress, maybe even more so than Amy Adams.

I'd not want a repeat of MaggyG in The Dark Knight. She too is a highly acclaimed actress, maybe even more so than Amy Adams.

You don't want a repeat of a good actress giving a good performance?:huh:

You have a very selective way of looking at things. Let's see some evidence of her being

"a highly acclaimed actress, maybe even more so than Amy Adams"

So true Mr. J.

I didn't think of it but it truly is a genius bit of casting. I've already done a 180 on the subject. As much as I like someone like Wilde and believe that she is talented, her casting would have been about her looks and buzz mostly.

she is a three time academy award nominee, what else do you people want?

This has been addressed many times before. Go back in the thread and you will see this issue dealt with.
Actually a better example than Maggie G., who did indeed suck in TDK, is Natalie Portman in Thor. An Oscar winning, Golden Globe winning and multi-nominated actress, but she really did not fit the part of Jane and was rather bland in the role.

Not sure where all this talk of Amy being a highly acclaimed/recognizable actress is coming from?

I must have asked 10 people today, (including my mother who is a celebrity gossip hound) if they know who Amy Adams is, and not one of them had a clue.

I know I had to take a second look at her Pic to know who she was when I first heard she was being cast for the roll of Lois Lane.

:)

Last edited:
Yeah, but did you ask white people?

^^^

LOL Wow that was funny! Yes, they were all white :)

I don't know why people keep on bringing up the Oscars thing as some kind of future proof that she's gonna nail Lois. It does help, though...

I don't know why people keep on bringing up the Oscars thing as some kind of future proof that she's gonna nail Lois. It does help, though...

I feel so bad, 'cause I read the bolded part in the wrong train of thought :funny:

Not sure where all this talk of Amy being a highly acclaimed/recognizable actress is coming from?

I don't think anyone is saying she is HIGHLY acclaimed or a recognizable household name - because she's clearly not.

People put the Oscar nominations into the 'plus column' because it means her work as an actress has been recognised as great - which bodes well for her ability to handle this role.

It doesn't guarantee that she's going to nail it, and having no oscar noms wouldn't guarantee failure.

But I think the over all effect of having a cast full of oscar winners/nominees is where it really counts. It's good for posters, articles, descriptions. It shows that this film is to be taken seriously.

^^^

I get ya ;)

From my perspective, it's a great thing to have these award noms like Amy & Shannon, and an virtually unknown in Cavill playing all the lead rolls, with Fish and Kevin as highly recognizable actors thrown in the mix. As many have said, I just have a very special feeling about this Film, a feeling I never felt before about any film in my 30 yrs on this earth. Partly because I'm a Superman freak, and partly because I finally feel it's being done right.

We shall see, but yes, I am getting my hopes up! :D

^^^

I get ya ;)

From my perspective, it's a great thing to have these award noms like Amy & Shannon, and an virtually unknown in Cavill playing all the lead rolls, with Fish and Kevin as highly recognizable actors thrown in the mix. As many have said, I just have a very special feeling about this Film, a feeling I never felt before about any film in my 30 yrs on this earth. Partly because I'm a Superman freak, and partly because I finally feel it's being done right.

We shall see, but yes, I am getting my hopes up! :D

I'm the same. I think a lot of us are.

It'd be easy to let little things that aren't to your particular fan requirements get you down (like Amy's hair for me, the lack of trunks for some, certain spoilers, Zod being the villain etc etc... Whatever it is that doesn't float your boat).

But the amount of things they seem to be getting right more than makes up for that.

You just gotta try and see this from the wider perspective of the GA.

This film, if handled right, has the capability of being true to the characters AND finally shaking the negatives/mockery assosiated with Superman due to the prominence of S:TM and certain pop culture references, in the average joe's perception of the character.

That's every fans dream come true. How can we not be getting our hopes up? :D

Last edited:
I'm the same. I think a lot of us are.

It'd be easy to let little things that aren't to your particular fan requirements get you down (like Amy's hair for me, the lack of trunks for some, certain spoilers, Zod being the villain etc etc... Whatever it is that doesn't float your boat).

But the amount of things they seem to be getting right more than makes up for that.

You just gotta try and see this from the wider perspective of the GA.

This film, if handled right, has the capability of being true to the characters AND finally shaking the negatives/mockery assosiated with Superman due to the prominence of S:TM and certain pop culture references, in the average joe's perception of the character.

That's every fans dream come true. How can we not be getting our hopes up? :D

Wow Hopeful, you nailed why I feel how I feel exactly!

Some let the little things get them down, as you stated, Lois hair, Sups costume, etc. I have always looked at this project from a general perspective, meaning story, originality, script, and direction as the main focus.

They are being true enough to the Character and story to keep me in my comfort zone, and as far as the little changes, I'm actually excited about most of what they have done. I always felt the no trunk deal was to take the nostalgia away from the character inorder to stop the GA from reminiscing on the older Reeve movie's, George Reeve sit-com, etc. When they said reboot, thats exactly what they meant, everything from the ground up, other then story and characters. They want nothing in this movie to remind people of the past, and I think they are nailing it, from the looks of it at-least. I'm Stoked!

Last edited:
When they said reboot, thats exactly what they meant, everything from the ground up,

This ^

They are doing everything they can to seperate themselves from movies and television adaptions that have come before, and treating this like as a new story influenced by the comic book character.

Henry has repeatedly said he's avoided watching other interpretations like the old movies because he only wants to be influenced by what's in the script, and the comic books.

I just think it's been a long time coming. Lifting Superman off the pages of the original comics, and placing him in our time, in our kind of world - a world that, let's be honest, could really do with a guy like the original Superman at the moment; the champion of the opressed :)

If they need to make little changes like Perry being black, Lois being a red head, and Superman wearing a costume with no trunks to really make it clear to the audience that this is not just 'another Superman movie', but a whole new franchise they should be excited about - so be it!

What was wrong with her? Other than her faaacee?

I never felt any interest in MaggieG's Rachel. She did not connect with her audience. Not saying it was her fault, just perhaps poorly cast. She isn't a 'high octane' style of actress. She isn't suited to action movies. She's more suited to those quirky yet slow-paced drama/comedies. Katie Holmes, sure perhaps too young to be a convincing assistant district attorney, but she acted with a great sense of urgency in Batman Begins and from what I've read online people were disappointed that she was not in The Dark Knight.

I never felt any interest in MaggieG's Rachel. She did not connect with her audience. Not saying it was her fault, just perhaps poorly cast. She isn't a 'high octane' style of actress. She isn't suited to action movies. She's more suited to those quirky yet slow-paced drama/comedies. Katie Holmes, sure perhaps too young to be a convincing assistant district attorney, but she acted with a great sense of urgency in Batman Begins and from what I've read online people were disappointed that she was not in The Dark Knight.

I have to agree with the Maggie G comments. Her portrayal of Rachel was a major letdown, even after Katie Holmes's horrible acting. Holmes, although bad, I felt was more in-line with what the character should be - idealistic, spunky, maybe a little naive. Maggie just came off as a flat ***** to me and the delivery of a lot of her lines were just as cringeworthy as Katie's. She just didn't see like the sort of woman Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent would be fighting over.

In contrast, I feel Adams has what it takes to play Lois Lane. To me, she proved in The Fighter that she can play a sweet and likeable, yet tough and assertive female character (the perfect combo of characteristics for Lois Lane) and she held her own against Bale's Dicky and Melissa Leo. Both of whom were playing larger than life, scenery chewing characters. Or the part where she got into the girl fight with one of Micky's sisters? Provided the script and direction is right, Amy is going to make ONE HELL OF A LOIS LANE.

If Amy Adams delivers her Lois with charisma & charm, than everything will work out great for her. Man, I can't wait to see the first teaser for this movie! Sadly, that probably won't happen until next summer :-(

I have to agree with the Maggie G comments. Her portrayal of Rachel was a major letdown, even after Katie Holmes's horrible acting. Holmes, although bad, I felt was more in-line with what the character should be - idealistic, spunky, maybe a little naive. Maggie just came off as a flat ***** to me and the delivery of a lot of her lines were just as cringeworthy as Katie's. She just didn't see like the sort of woman Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent would be fighting over.

In contrast, I feel Adams has what it takes to play Lois Lane. To me, she proved in The Fighter that she can play a sweet and likeable, yet tough and assertive female character (the perfect combo of characteristics for Lois Lane) and she held her own against Bale's Dicky and Melissa Leo. Both of whom were playing larger than life, scenery chewing characters. Or the part where she got into the girl fight with one of Micky's sisters? Provided the script and direction is right, Amy is going to make ONE HELL OF A LOIS LANE.

It's kinda dumb that they re-cast Holmes for TDK, seeing how they were gonna kill her off anyways... I would have wished for them sticking with Holmes! Nothing would have pleased me more than to see her being blown the ****_up!

You know; given that the military is going to be heavily involved in this film, I would have thought that Lois's father (General Sam Lane) would have been present in this film. Granted, even if he were, I would hope that they wouldn't portray him in a General Ross type of way.lol

In any case, I can't wait to see (assuming if we have this type of scene in the film) a moment where we see Amy's Lois taking flight to the sky alongside Superman like her past counterparts have.

In any case, I can't wait to see (assuming if we have this type of scene in the film) a moment where we see Amy's Lois taking flight to the sky alongside Superman like her past counterparts have.

Are you saying you think Lois will be a love interest in this film? So far nothing Snyder has done is in line with the Donner films. I know Lois has been a love interest in the comics anyway, but she isn't a love interest in EVERY comic, so Snyder has some wiggle-room to again go against the Donner trend. And really, the Lois/Superman romance is the most prominent element of the 2 Donner films, the central theme.

Are you saying you think Lois will be a love interest in this film? So far nothing Snyder has done is in line with the Donner films. I know Lois has been a love interest in the comics anyway, but she isn't a love interest in EVERY comic, so Snyder has some wiggle-room to again go against the Donner trend. And really, the Lois/Superman romance is the most prominent element of the 2 Donner films, the central theme.

Attached below is a interview showing Snyder explaining the reasons why he selected Amy for the role of Lois.

[YT]eDet0EVUUYo[/YT]

(Direct Link in case if the one above doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDet0EVUUYo)

Okay, assuming if I'm understanding you correctly, you think that the Lois and Clark/Superman relationship is pretty much defined by the Donner films? Is that right?

And yeah; there have been elseworld tales where Clark and Lois weren't paired up together, but the general theme has been that they have been portrayed as soulmates.

And in every other medium that the characters of Superman and Lois have been presented in prominently, they HAVE been paired up as romantic interests, and NO it's not because of them taking trend from the Donner films.

Heck, their relationship was prominently shown in Smallville as well.

Point being, aside from being a great character in her own right, Lois Lane has mainly be established as the leading lady in Superman's/Clark's life, and I see nothing suggesting otherwise in this upcoming film.

Attached below is a interview showing Snyder explaining the reasons why he selected Amy for the role of Lois.

[YT]eDet0EVUUYo[/YT]

(Direct Link in case if the one above doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDet0EVUUYo)

Okay, assuming if I'm understanding you correctly, you think that the Lois and Clark/Superman relationship is pretty much defined by the Donner films? Is that right?

And yeah; there have been elseworld tales where Clark and Lois weren't paired up together, but the general theme has been that they have been portrayed as soulmates.

And in every other medium that the characters of Superman and Lois have been presented in prominently, they HAVE been paired up as romantic interests, and NO it's not because of them taking trend from the Donner films.

Heck, their relationship was prominently shown in Smallville as well.

Point being, aside from being a great character in her own right, Lois Lane has mainly be established as the leading lady in Superman's/Clark's life, and I see nothing suggesting otherwise in this upcoming film.

Smallville copied the Donner films in some ways (and several homages), so that would not be a guide for Man of Steel. The more established things are, the more Snyder may be inclined not to repeat them, because his prime goal seems to be setting his franchise aside from the previous, and even Cavill is not watching any previous films, confining himself to the comics. Donner explored the comics where Lois was central to Superman's life. We'll see if Snyder does the same, or whether Snyder explores the comics where Lois is not so central. It's not like 'love' is a big deal anyway. Saving lives is the big deal if you have the opportunity Superman does, to make a difference.

Smallville copied the Donner films in some ways (and several homages), so that would not be a guide for Man of Steel. The more established things are, the more Snyder may be inclined not to repeat them, because his prime goal seems to be setting his franchise aside from the previous, and even Cavill is not watching any previous films, confining himself to the comics. Donner explored the comics where Lois was central to Superman's life. We'll see if Snyder does the same, or whether Snyder explores the comics where Lois is not so central. It's not like 'love' is a big deal anyway. Saving lives is the big deal if you have the opportunity Superman does, to make a difference.

Have you read the comics that were published right before the reboot? From what I can remember in regards to the 90's till 2011's reboot, Lois was ESSENTIAL and pivotal in Clark's life.

And from what I know, back when Donner made Superman, Lois had NEVER slept with Superman in the main continuity back then, nor was it the comics idea for Lois and Superman's relationship to be portrayed as some tragic romance.

The Lois and Clark/Superman romance in the comics picked up steam after the whole reboot of where "Clark Kent" was made into the person, which eventually resulted in their official marriage in the mid 90's, and they were portrayed as a very happy and loving couple.

Honestly, you're reasoning for Snyder not having the romance between Clark/Superman and Lois because it was in Donner's film isn't really valid and I say that not based on personal opinion, but on what's been presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"