Arrow Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Katie would excel at playing a villain. She just seems to have a natural disposition of being able to portray hate filled and vengeful, with a dash of crazy. You have actors like Rickards, who excel at being fun and quirky, and it simply comes natural to her. That's why she crushes it as Felicity.

But Katie just doesn't have the qualities necessary to portray a good Canary. Every time she has to portray badass, there's an air of b**chiness surrounding her. Look at Ruby from Supernatural, that's what you get if Katie becomes Black Canary.

Seriously, turn her into a villain that I love to hate.

Should they turn Dinah Laurel into a villain, they can always supply her with Mirakulu and turn her into the White Canary from the comics.

I actually wanted to suggest that earlier. But apparently White Canary is supposed to be even more skilled than Lady Shiva, if I didn't read that wrong, and I don't know if I want to downgrade a character like her.

Then again, the show is it's own thing. And having her sister be her enemy, and not just that, but be a mirror version of her, could certainly be interesting.

Cupid this, Cupid that... let it go!! :argh:

Can't wait to see the reactions from some of you when Laurel as the BC becomes self-evident. :woot:

Pretty sure Laurel is going to continue to slowly develop into a superhero. Sara will be Black Canary, but eventually she and their father are going to die, and Laurel is going to take up the Black Canary mantle to honor them.

My ideal route for Laurel would be for Slade turn and train her

"I'm going to corrupt those that he loves"

In a perfect world, they would put the character in rehab and remove the focus from her, for a while, and allocate it to Sara.

Pretty sure Laurel is going to continue to slowly develop into a superhero.

Continue?

Every time when it seems Laurel is about to take one step towards becoming a hero, she takes about five steps back.

It's past the mid-point of Season 2 and she is closer to becoming a villain than she is a hero.

Hence the "slow". It might well take several seasons.

But she's slowly, SLOWLY changing from a by the book lover of the law, to someone willing to associate with vigilantes. She's also going from "Miss Perfect" to someone with more issues and a dark side. They're getting there.

It's just too bad the actress isn't that good.

But she's slowly, SLOWLY changing from a by the book lover of the law, to someone willing to associate with vigilantes.

Something she already did in Season 1. Only for her to completely regress in Season 2. Then it took a bunch of Episodes and some ass saving, to steer Laurel back to where she already was in Season 1.

She's also going from "Miss Perfect" to someone with more issues and a dark side. They're getting there.

Maybe a bit too dark. I'm still a bit stunned that she put 6 bullets into fake Brother Blood.

But she's not gotten all the way. Two steps forward, one step back is a legitimate and realistic way to approach character development.

Especially for something like "putting on a mask and kicking ass as a lawbreaking vigilante". It's natural that she'd struggle with the steps on the way to something like that, and that even when she starts into a dark life, that she'd resist it.

I really want Laurel to be the one to take down Blood. It would be sweet revenge.

But she's slowly, SLOWLY changing from a by the book lover of the law, to someone willing to associate with vigilantes. She's also going from "Miss Perfect" to someone with more issues and a dark side. They're getting there.

It's just too bad the actress isn't that good.

Except she was willing to associate with vigilantes in the first season, and after that they decided to backtrack on her character and blame the Arrow for not saving Tommy (which was weak, but I could see it).

The biggest problem I think is the writing. The writers havent been doing her any favors in terms of how they're handling her evolution.

Yeah, I really don't think Katie Cassidy is the problem. She's doing fine work with what they're giving her. Unfortunately, what they're giving her is annoying and time-consuming.

Except she was willing to associate with vigilantes in the first season, and after that they decided to backtrack on her character and blame the Arrow for not saving Tommy (which was weak, but I could see it).

The biggest problem I think is the writing. The writers havent been doing her any favors in terms of how they're handling her evolution.

How is that backtracking?

Just because she's not buddy buddy with vigilantes doesn't mean she's not in their world more and more, and becoming more and more involved in various things.

Yeah, I really don't think Katie Cassidy is the problem. She's doing fine work with what they're giving her. Unfortunately, what they're giving her is annoying and time-consuming.

This is where I have to disagree. Yes, KC has been given some crap material, but she's nowhere close to doing "fine work" with it. Laurel has NEVER worked on Arrow so far.
For one, KC and Stephen Amell have no chemistry at all on screen. I'm finding it very hard to believe Olly even really cares about her at all.

That said, I don't think there's particularly charged sexual chemistry between any of the characters on arrow. In those terms, the best with Amell was the Huntress.

HOwever, Emily Betts Rickard and Caity Lotz DO have chemistry with Amell. You get the strong sense Oliver cares deeply for both Felicity and Sara purely from their interactions. That's not true with KC. The only way you would even know Oliver cares about Laurel is from the words in the script itself, which has nothing to do with chemistry on screen.

Laurel hasn't really worked as a character on arrow for 2 seasons now. They would be better off either killing her off and having Sara as Black Canary or turning her into a villain. I'm just not going to buy her either as BC or as a romantic partner for Oliver in any circumstance now. The character is ruined...and yes, KC is partly responsible for that.

She may have been wonderful on Supernatural, but this is a different show and different role...and to date Katie has NOT done it justice.

I actually wanted to suggest that earlier. But apparently White Canary is supposed to be even more skilled than Lady Shiva, if I didn't read that wrong, and I don't know if I want to downgrade a character like her.

Then again, the show is it's own thing. And having her sister be her enemy, and not just that, but be a mirror version of her, could certainly be interesting.

Meh that's Gail Simone,I like her writing but she really doesn't know how to build a character,she's created more than a dozen "Shiva" level fighters.

This is where I have to disagree. Yes, KC has been given some crap material, but she's nowhere close to doing "fine work" with it. Laurel has NEVER worked on Arrow so far.
For one, KC and Stephen Amell have no chemistry at all on screen. I'm finding it very hard to believe Olly even really cares about her at all.

That said, I don't think there's particularly charged sexual chemistry between any of the characters on arrow. In those terms, the best with Amell was the Huntress.

HOwever, Emily Betts Rickard and Caity Lotz DO have chemistry with Amell. You get the strong sense Oliver cares deeply for both Felicity and Sara purely from their interactions. That's not true with KC. The only way you would even know Oliver cares about Laurel is from the words in the script itself, which has nothing to do with chemistry on screen.

Laurel hasn't really worked as a character on arrow for 2 seasons now. They would be better off either killing her off and having Sara as Black Canary or turning her into a villain. I'm just not going to buy her either as BC or as a romantic partner for Oliver in any circumstance now. The character is ruined...and yes, KC is partly responsible for that.

She may have been wonderful on Supernatural, but this is a different show and different role...and to date Katie has NOT done it justice.

I thought this scene between Oliver and Laurel was well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zJFm0LwjE

Though I think the only females Amell has chemistry with on the show are Felicity and maybe Summer Glau's character. But I'm sure they'll introduce more women into Oliver's life as the show progresses.

I thought this scene between Oliver and Laurel was well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zJFm0LwjE

Though I think the only females Amell has chemistry with on the show are Felicity and maybe Summer Glau's character. But I'm sure they'll introduce more women into Oliver's life as the show progresses.

I think some would argue that there's another actress who Amell has fantastic chemistry with...

72b5b400950213059eb6f76bf87ad188.jpg

But then again, an argument could be made that Thea simply has fantastic chemistry with ALL her brothers. :woot:

tumblr_mdjh01s0OF1r5hnnio1_500.png

Damn, I can't stop getting that overly attached girlfriend vibe from Laurel anymore.

She IS overly attached.

I don't blame Ollie for sleeping with Sara. Is it a cowardly thing to do and not tell Laurel ? of course. But I don't blame the guy. Don't spook a 20 year old playboy with stories of marriage and children. I guess I'm just not as sanctimonious as a lot of people I see on here judging Ollie and Sara.

Sara warned Laurel that Oliver was a player. For her own gain, sure but also because he WAS a player. Laurel refused to see it.

Stephen has a Youtube channel now.

[YT]HFm-AD6lxP0[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"