Arrow Arrow General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fincher said:
Oliver didn't make some promise to/deal with criminals that he would never kill them. He made a decision to stop his general methodology of killing, and he held to it when he could. Which is exactly what he should be doing. If he'd let Felicity get murdered by Vertigo because he was never going to kill again, I'd probably have stopped watching.
Why? But the count had been stopped from hurting Felicity with the first arrow and Oliver just did the others to murder him. And Oliver still had a hand in the murders of several security guards in russia, two security guards in starling and a man in nanda parbat, all who for all intents and purposes were regular people, not evil.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!

"Arrow" EPs on Transition to 'Green Arrow' and Damien Darhk's Pure Evil

CQk7EOfVEAAssVb.png:large

Last edited:
Here's the thing, whenever you have a product, you have to find a way to promote (sell) it. This season of Arrow can be amazing, but if its marketed wrong, the end result won't matter much because if fewer people see it, fewer people will be able to praise it for being good and its real success will come after word of mouth, much like the first season.

The problem here is they spent the summer talking about how this and that is going to happen to all these characters, and it was clear they were trying to address many of the complaints with last season. But with the actual trailers and footage they've released thus far, it looks like 75% of the show is going to revolve around a romance. And again, it's not that Oliver and Felicity is a bad thing, it's the fact that the show seems to revolve around it, and that causes excitement to turn into worry for many people.

True enough.

The last season with Felicity and Oliver was a bit all over the place and annoying but then I found the whole League of Shadows and Ra's Al Ghul also a tad tedious.

My biggest issue with the end of last season was that despite all the fumbling after the mid season, they seemed to be building on something big with Oliver and Ra's, but looking back, it felt more like Ra's was just there to distract Oliver and keep him away from Felicity. And when you see that, it really ruins the whole season because that's what almost every plot point was about.

Sara's death was supposed to be the driving point, but once they revealed Thea as the killer, the only person who that still affected was Laurel, who got pushed aside once her arc was done. But when you look at everything else they added; Cupid, Ray, Felicity's mom, the League stuff and Oliver's "death" .. all of it was just a collection of plot devices to keep the two apart so they could ultimately come together in the end.

Whilst I'd be howled down by the Ollicity fandom I don't see them as "that great" a couple.

But ah well... :hmm

Olicity's lame asf. Black Canary's the only reason I'm still watching. I can't take the homie Diggle serious anymore with that stupid facemet. Willa is eye candy for sure, but that's about it. Katie's eye candy too, but Canary has style and substance (or at least as much substance as a CW show will allow).

So this is a very interesting a fun article on casting of the show (CW in general)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/the-man-who-helped-build-the-cw

Some tidbits:

“The Vampire Diaries was on the air already, so we were sold as a three-hander between Stephen, Katie Cassidy, and Colin Donnell — a tripod if you will. That’s how we cast it and then the posters came out and Stephen was shirtless. First of all, we never saw him without his shirt on; I knew he was a physical guy, but I’d never seen him do stunts or anything like that and all of a sudden in the pilot, he’s doing his own stunts. He became famous for being shirtless. The poster was him shirtless and none of the other actors were on the poster, and as talented and amazing as they were, it became clear the show was about ‘The Arrow,’ so that really changed the concept for us because initially I saw it as more of an ensemble and cast it that way.”

“If I remember correctly, Diggle was the last role to be cast and it was such a small role in the pilot,” he said. “We did a studio and network test for it with maybe one page of dialogue. David is such a phenomenal actor. I’d known his work for a while and we kind of had a last-minute session. It wasn’t a forgettable character, but it was a last minute addition to finishing this pilot and we brought in five guys — he was the best. We tested him the same day we auditioned him and we just got really lucky because I don’t think anyone was expecting the role to be that big and we weren’t expecting that much from him, so we all felt so lucky to have such a great actor doing such a supporting part. Again, like Emily’s character, Diggle really grew throughout the season and now he’s such an important part of the team.”

“Melissa Benoist read for Thea,” Rapaport said of the actor he later cast as Supergirl. “We read a bunch of people for Thea and it kept coming back to Willa because, with all these characters on Arrow, there was a duality about who they were on the surface and the darkness behind that. Even being so young, Willa’s lived a bit and that’s what makes her so interesting.

“That was a tough one because we were recasting the role of Sara Lance from the pilot,” he said. (Jacqueline MacInnes Wood originated the part.) “I had seen Caity on Mad Men a few years earlier and brought her in for 90210. She didn’t get that part. Then I brought her in for this and she didn’t get Sara right away, so we kept looking. But it was one of those things where I felt like, We have to go back to our initial instincts because she was so great. And now we’ve ended up building DC’s Legends of Tomorrow around her.”

“Robbie read to play Arrow, initially, and was a little bit too young,” Rapaport said.

Olicity's lame asf. Black Canary's the only reason I'm still watching. I can't take the homie Diggle serious anymore with that stupid facemet. Willa is eye candy for sure, but that's about it. Katie's eye candy too, but Canary has style and substance (or at least as much substance as a CW show will allow).

Oy....

Because of her looks or because you like terrible actresses?

And Olicity is lame asf and she needs to die in the mid season finale.

Did I miss something? Has it been speculated/confirmed that Oliver's baby momma is coming back? Or is this fan just madly spewing inane panic? :huh:

Well all I know is I am excited for this season. And I'm excited for tonight's episode. Can't wait to get home from work and watch it.

Nice to see that it appears they're gonna address Oliver's son, bugged me a little last season that his son got no mention outside of the crossover, and even then the mention was on the Flash half of the event.

Last edited:
Well all I know is I am excited for this season. And I'm excited for tonight's episode. Can't wait to get home from work and watch it.

Me too man, although sadly I no longer look forward to coming to this section afterwards.

Me too man, although sadly I no longer look forward to coming to this section afterwards.

Same, way too much dwelling on the mistakes on this section, rather than enjoying what gets done right. Not sure how much I'll be checking this section during the season.

Same, way too much dwelling on the mistakes on this section, rather than enjoying what gets done right. Not sure how much I'll be checking this section during the season.

Yep, it is like the show had a few missteps and now everything they do is going to be wrong before we have seen a frame, because some of the characters are going in a direction some don't like and they need to endlessly moan about it.

Well to be fair, that's the show fault. LOTS of people really didn't like last season or where the characters went, so some skepticism is to be expected. You have to EARN that trust back show.

That being said, I think that addressing Oliver's son is not only appropriate, but it's something that the show HAS to do eventually anyway. Otherwise, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

It's not our fault that we think the series took a nosedive. No one is stopping other posters from discussing what they enjoyed about season three. If you want to talk about that, talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"