Arrow Arrow General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Arrow Producer Teases Epic Sequences in Final Season

Arrow's final season is set to hit The CW later this year, and it looks like it'll be bringing its a-game in quite a few ways. ComicBook.com was on hand for the show's panel at San Diego Comic-Con, where supervising producer and frequent director James Bamford teased what fans can expect with the new batch of episodes. If Bamford's comments are any indication, it sounds like Season 8 will bring some truly breathtaking moments to the show.

"Last night and Thursday night, every night this week, we've shot sequences that we didn't think we were capable of before," Bamford revealed. "If they don't win an Emmy for what we did this week... there's something wrong. They're all bringing it. I've never been so impressed with the performances we're getting... during the emotional scenes, period. The size and the scope... is nothing like we've done before, and that's the truth. We're very, very proud and I can't wait for you to see [episode] 8.01."

Learn the history of December's beautiful birthstones, turquoise and zircon, and get tips on how to buy and care for them.

Given what we already know about the season premiere - namely, that it appears to be an homage to the show's first season - it's certainly interesting knowing that some emotional moments are in store.

Stephen Amell Compares Arrow's Finale to Game of Thrones

Arrow will air its final ten episodes later this year, and it sounds like the farewell will hopefully strike a better chord than other recent series finales. ComicBook.com was on hand for Arrow's panel at last weekend's San Diego Comic-Con, where the topic of whether or not the show will have a "happy ending" - compared to the controversial final season of Game of Thrones - was discussed. As series star Stephen Amell revealed, he might not actually be the person best suited to weigh in on that.

"I’m the wrong person to answer this question because I loved the last season of Game of Thrones," Amell revealed. "If you all hate our finale, I’ll know we have done a good job."

Arrow bts has always thought they've given us Emmy worthy material but fans hate what they bring out so.....good luck.

And if KC isn't featured decently in the finale along with no EBR possibly, it'll be real easy for fans to hate.

Arrow's David Ramsey Addresses John Diggle's Green Lantern Ties In Season 8

While we likely won't be hearing Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz offer up any full-length confessionals about Green Lantern-related reveals, series star David Ramsey did drop a meaningful hint to CinemaBlend and a handful of other press outlets while at San Diego Comic-Con. When Ramsey was asked if fans will get to see more from Diggle as a father in Season 8, here's how the actor answered:

Yes. And Diggle's relationship with his own father as well. There will be loose ends tied up. The relationship between he and his sons, I think we're going to find out about. There's a lot in ten episodes we'll be finding out. And Lyla is a pivotal piece in these upcoming ten episodes. And then ultimately what happens with the Green Lantern mythos. I think all those are going to be answered in ten episodes.

Stephen Amell wants Tom Welling for the crossover! Just saw the article... Stephen, I love you bud!

Colton Haynes not asked back as series regular for final season. They'd rather waste our time with the future characters.

Arrow's Stephen Amell Reveals How Oliver Will Move Forward Without Felicity in Season 8 | TV Guide

Arrow is going to look very different in its eighth and final season if recent comments from the cast and producers are to be believed, but it's also going to be missing a beloved and familiar face.

Emily Bett Rickards announced this spring that she would not be returning as a series regular for Arrow's eighth season, and at the end of Season 7, we saw her enter a portal in the future timeline to presumably be taken to reunite with Oliver (Stephen Amell) in the afterlife — or whatever the inter-dimensional equivalent of that is. In the present timeline, Felicity will be in hiding with baby Mia to explain Rickards' absence, but don't expect her to be far from the hearts and minds of those characters still on-screen.

"She is ever-present in Oliver's mind," Amell said of Felicity in Season 8. "We found Oliver can't wear his wedding ring in the premiere for a very specific reason, but he can wear it in the second episode. And it wasn't built into the script, but I spoke to our director, Antonio Negret, and we built a moment of Oliver putting his ring back on and thinking about it. So Emily's gone, off the show, but Felicity and William and Mia are ever-present in Oliver's mind."

The CW Is Already Eyeing Its Next Arrowverse Spin-Off

One person Oliver will no doubt depend on for support while he's forced to be away from his wife and children is Diggle (David Ramsey), and Ramsey is completely in agreement that a season entirely without Felicity Smoak is just not an appealing prospect for anyone.

"You can't have this season of Arrow without talking about Mia and Felicity," Ramsey told TV Guide. "I think there's even talks that Emily will be back. Who knows? So, you know, there's hope."

And speaking of that hope, Amell said that Felicity's promise that they'll find each other again one day is what's keeping Oliver going through this final season. "That gives him purpose and allows him to move forward because he knows that somewhere along the way, in the immortal words of Chris Cooper from The Town, 'This side or the other,' they'll find each other."

Feel free to go sob now.

Because they’re still harboring hope for a spin-off, which is dumb. They honestly couldn’t pay me to watch a show about that future bunch.
I honestly think they'd grow on me, personally, especially Connor. But right now, I'm not a huge fan of the rest. Like I said, though, they might grow on me. Guess we'll see what happens.

I hate when shows bring in brand new central characters with a strong focus during a last season. Basically tells the rest of the cast how unimportant they are.

I cant understand how that Show drives against the wall after the Wonderful and Fresh Season 1.

Arrow's New, Very Final Scene Will Present 'A Lot of Logistical Hurdles'

As recently as July, Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim changed up the plan for the series’ very final scene. Now it’s just a matter of somehow pulling it off.

During an Aug. 4 sit-down with TVLine at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Guggenheim revealed that a month prior, a new way to end the Arrowverse flagship series’ eight-year run dawned on him.

“I came out of meditation one morning and I had the whole last scene — and it’s a brand-new scene,” he said.

The eighth episode of Arrow‘s 10-episode farewell run, airing Jan. 14, 2020, will serve as Part 4 of this season’s “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover event. The episode that follows is “not related to the crossover” and “very specific; we know exactly what happens in it,” Guggenheim told reporters after the show’s farewell panel. Episode 10 then will deliver “a proper series finale.”

If the show sticks with the newly conceived way to close said finale, it will take some doing to make it happen.

“There are a lot of logistical hurdles that have to be crossed in order to shoot that scene. It’s not like we can just film it tomorrow,” Guggenheim teased for TVLine.

The EP said he was not necessarily looking to change up the very final scene — but neither was he averse to the prospect.

“The thing that I’ve sort of always told myself about the finale was that I wouldn’t be so rigid about my plan that I wouldn’t leave myself open to other ideas,” he said. “Had I not left myself open, I wouldn’t have written the scene I wrote, which I really, really like.”

UPDATE: Guggenheim has tweeted that if this new final scene can’t overcome the logistics, he will share the script pages for what might have been:

Running down on a few points here...
  • I have no interest in a Legacy Show about Mia, William and Connor. I'd be happy with them making the odd appearance via Legends, but otherwise, quite happy to pass.
  • I'm not remotely bothered by EBR not being in Season 8, though I do expect her there for the final. I expect a lot of people there for the final.
  • I'm surprised Coulton wasn't brought in as a series regular, but then he can still be involved; it's only ten episodes, what counts as a series regular with such a small episode number anyway?
  • Can't fathom why Manu isn't being brought back for an episode, or even a scene.
  • We best meet the Green Lantern Corps; or more specifically, a Green Lantern via John Stewart.

Arrow Boss Says Season 8 Premiere Is a 'Love Letter to the Pilot' | TV Guide

Why did you guys decide to reveal in the Season 7 finale that Oliver (Stephen Amell) would die in Crisis on Infinite Earths rather than saving that twist for the actual crossover? And how does having that out there affect the direction of Season 8?
Beth Schwartz: I think we decided to do that because it's the story. We didn't want that to be the shock — that he dies. And having that tease at the end of [Season] Seven, we were hoping it would bring everyone back to be like, "How does he die? What do you mean he dies? Does he really die?" You know, because on our show you never really die. So we just thought that would be a great way to end the season basically... And also everyone's theories! Because that's the fun of watching a show and having a mystery — everyone trying to guess what's going to happen.

And speaking of those theories, is it safe to say that there's an element of surprise in store for fans?
Schwartz: Yeah, definitely. I mean, this is Arrow, so you think you know what's going to happen, but you don't really.

How does knowing that he's going to die in this crisis affect Oliver's story arc heading into Season 8?
Schwartz: I mean knowing, having the Monitor tell him that he's going to die, but he's got to do it to save the multiverse — I mean his theme of the season is a hero's sacrifice and every character's going to go through that this season. And this is the ultimate hero's sacrifice, to know you're going to die, but you're going to save so many people's lives. And that's always been the juggle of the hero, of being selfless and putting yourself and sort of your family, in Oliver's case, a little bit second so that you can do the greater good.

Here's When the Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover Will Premiere

At what point in the series did you guys land on the idea of this has to end with him making that final sacrifice?
Schwartz: I think that's been something that from the creation of the show has been [the ending] from the beginning. I know Marc [Guggenheim] could probably answer this better, but I know that he's sort of always thought that was how the show would end.
Emily Bett Rickards, Arrow
And without Emily Bett Rickards in this season, how do you guys plan to honor her character even if we're not going to get to see her as much?
Schwartz: It's not like just because you can't see her that we're going to forget she was one of our most important characters on the show. And everything Oliver's doing, he'll be conflicted because he had to leave his family. And so that was really, as we saw at the end of Season 7, a heartbreaking and hard decision for him. So we will definitely not just skate past that... That last scene between them kills me. I can't watch it. It's just — it was so good.

How heavily is having to be separated from his wife and child going to hang on Oliver this year?
Schwartz: It's going to be pretty hard on him. But he's going to have Dig, obviously, to get him through, but it's not easy.

As for Colin Donnell coming back, was that just good timing having him coming off Chicago Med, or was that always the plan to have him back?
Schwartz: Every season we want him back. He's such a great part of the show. We always love having him back. He's such a great guy. And when we knew it was our final season, he was one of the top people. We were like, "We have to get him back for our final season." We had a whole list of actors and characters that we went through that we're like, "We can't end the show without seeing them one more time." So he was just — he's one of those.

And did a large handful of these people you reached out to say, "Yes, I'm down"?
Schwartz: Yes. Yeah, and it was fun. It's been such — I don't even know how to describe it, but this feeling of nostalgia and also kind of sadness but then happiness and gratefulness and just all these mixtures of emotions for a lot of us who've been doing this for eight years. It's a long time.

How many callbacks should we expect to see in this final season?
Schwartz: We have a lot of callbacks to Season 1 early on in, well, especially in the premiere. The premiere is very much like a love letter to the pilot, and it was so much fun to write. And the actors had a lot of fun as well. There's going to be a lot of that through the season.

You guys have said you're sort of breaking form this year. What sort of storytelling opportunities does that afford?
Schwartz: It's been so great. I mean when we figured out what we were going to do this season, it was both exciting and also we were like, "Are we really going to do this?" Or "How are we going to do this?" But since we're not going to be in Star City anymore for most of the season, it opened up our world to go to all different places, which then opened our world to revisiting a lot of old characters. Because we're not just in Star City alone. Because Oliver saved Star City last season, and we wanted this season to be — the stakes are bigger than ever. He saved his own city, which we've been waiting for him to do for seven seasons, and now he has to save the multiverse... The stakes are bigger and the world's bigger.

Does that mean that there's not going to be that traditional antagonist that carries you through?
Schwartz: Yeah, a little. It's kind of a combination because obviously he's going to be fighting someone in each episode, but there's not just one villain. The villain really is Crisis in this season.

Is there any chance that we could ever get a scene between Stephen Amell and Katherine McNamara as Oliver and Mia before all is said and done this year?
Schwartz: I mean you never know.

Never say never?
Schwartz: Never say never.

And most importantly, are we going to get to see the salmon ladder one last time?
Schwartz: We'll see it. We're going to see it in the premiere. And I've also tried to do to the salmon ladder, but I was unsuccessful. Not surprising.

I still believe there's a chance Manu could appear as Slade in an episode this season. He did lie regarding his S5 appearance, and they could also be waiting last minute to ask him so it doesn't leak. I still believe that the best appearance for Slade in S8 would be standing in the far distance at Oliver's funeral, watching and paying his respects but not joining the crowd. A scene like that would take almost no time to film, could be worked around Manu's schedule, and could be filmed in relative secrecy. Currently, it's the most I'm hoping for, but I'm also A) expecting less, so I won't be disappointed, and B) willing to be surprised by something more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"