Battlefield 3 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
EA has announced that they will have a reveal event for Battlefield 3 at this years GDC on March 1st.

So for those who can realize that Battlefield is far superior to Activision's Call of Duty, what do you want to see in the next installment of this series?

I want a little more customization with my classes. Id like the ability to alter my characters appearances slightly. Maybe have like 3 or 4 "looks" per class. Id also like for them to expand to maybe 34 users online, altho i think the 24 is a good number. I cant really think of too much else id like to see. Bad Company 2 is great the way it is.

Oh and if there is already a thread for this, please delete or merge.

Enjoying the beta, fully paid off my pre-order. Can't wait.

Wolvieboy17 said:
Well, to be perfectly frank, if gamers are not doing anything to be aware of any new games then they miss out on games. Simple as that. I mean, if someone is only aware of gaming content as it appears on the Xbox Live Dashboard, then they'd probably only be finding out about any games in a couple of weeks prior to release. I honestly don't think a large number of gamers operate like that, and the ones that do are most definitely fixed gamers who ONLY play COD or ONLY play Halo or something like that. That isn't going to change. BF 3 isn't going to pull those people over and I think EA know it... However, all the indecisive gamers out there on COD, gamers who ARE more aware, perhaps growing weary of the Call of Duty style, THEY are the ones who are more likely to be swayed.

And seriously, if they released the Beta any later, it would be a week before the game actually released.

Uh, obviously people aren't going to be completely oblivious to BF3's existence. But there are people who have never played a BF game before who might just be hopping into this beta to see what the fuss is about. Instead of getting the cool crap from all the videos/trailers we've seen, they'll instead get a buggy mess that barely represents the final game or what BF is even about.

And a week before retail isn't even a bad idea IMO if the beta would be more polished. IIRC, the original BF:BC beta came out a week or so before the retail release, and it was nowhere near as buggy as this beta. Oh, it also had vehicles and a large, open map.

The beta is fun as hell, but it's also annoying due to all the glitches & ****. DICE dropped the ball on this beta.

Is that a bit of a contradiction?

A demo serves to demonstraight the final product.
A beta is used in creating the final product. They probably should have just kept it closed as most people seem to be assuming it's a demo and making judgements on it.

Consolers are not accustomed to serving in alpha or beta game test stages, some do not even know what those are, it's understandable.

Beta, demo, whatever...it's a public release that people are going to form opinions about either way. Like I said, I have no doubts that the crinkles will be ironed in the retail version, and I'm even having fun with the beta since getting the hang of it, but it's still a poor representation of BF3 and a missed opportunity IMO.

Oh, give me a break. Everyone knows the difference between a demo and actual beta. The problem is that over the past couple of years, developers have been putting out demos under the guise of betas for some stupid reason. And this Battlefield 3 beta doesn't seem to fit neatly into either category. The bugginess experienced in this beta is very typical of a real honest to god beta, but the problem is that a real beta test with these kinds of bugs and glitches would have been performed two or three months ago, not less than one month before the game launches. It honestly seems like this game could use another month in the oven, but I guess it's just too tempting for EA to get a big lead on Call of Duty.

Here's a dumb question for you more knowledgeable Hypsters: so this is a beta, it's great, but heavily flawed. So, changes will be made yes? But it's Oct. 2nd, and the game releases on the 25th, correct? Hasn't this game already gone gold? The discs should already be manufactured, if they're not doing it currently.

So, how many changes could they possibly implement?

My understanding is that it hasn't gone gold yet, but even if it has, or when it does, DICE could work on having a patch ready for launch.

Hacked to support 128 players

I think it's unfair and abit of a dickmove to threaten to actually ban people from the game they own. If people want to play with that amount of players let them, the people who don't, probably wont. That kinda brings up a problem with origin. Steam will quite happily allow you to use modified games, Valve encourage it. EA want the game water-tight and locked down with threat of loosing whatever games you bought if don't do as they say.

Here's a dumb question for you more knowledgeable Hypsters: so this is a beta, it's great, but heavily flawed. So, changes will be made yes? But it's Oct. 2nd, and the game releases on the 25th, correct? Hasn't this game already gone gold? The discs should already be manufactured, if they're not doing it currently.

So, how many changes could they possibly implement?

The Beta is already "a few weeks old" because they had to submit it for approval with MS and Sony, and the game has not gone gold yet. They say they are working on most of the issues.

But, I do expect the retail version to still be pretty buggy. This late in development is usually focused on fixing lock-ups and issues that won't pass certification only, so things like graphical issues and non game-breaking gameplay issues are usually waived to get the game out of the door. I would not be surprised by a day-one or week-one patch to fix a good amount of this stuff.

Hacked to support 128 players

I think it's unfair and abit of a dickmove to threaten to actually ban people from the game they own. If people want to play with that amount of players let them, the people who don't, probably wont. That kinda brings up a problem with origin. Steam will quite happily allow you to use modified games, Valve encourage it. EA want the game water-tight and locked down with threat of loosing whatever games you bought if don't do as they say.

That is ridiculous. I am never downloading Origin.

It doesn't matter if the game went gold 4 months ago, ALL the bugs found in the Beta could be squashed by release. All they would need is a day one patch. Just because the game went gold, doesnt mean they stop working on it.

Hell DICE has already stated the majority of the bugs found in the beta do NOT appear in the retail build.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? said:
I don't know about Sony but it's pretty clear Microsoft couldn't give a flying fart about indie games. In general, it seems the industry would rather you were all gun tooting yeee haw! hicks who play FPS all day.

You mean, apart from all the freaking amazing indie xbox live Arcade games that come out every year? Hmmmm, maybe they didn't make it to PC...

Balthus Desire said:
And a week before retail isn't even a bad idea IMO if the beta would be more polished. IIRC, the original BF:BC beta came out a week or so before the retail release, and it was nowhere near as buggy as this beta. Oh, it also had vehicles and a large, open map.

Yes, it is a terrible idea. Mainly because it makes the whole concept of a beta completely redundant. This isn't a bloody demo and I'm sick of everyone acting like it is. It's SUPPOSED to be buggy, the more things wrong with the beta means the less things that will be wrong with the final product. This is for DICE to iron out all the kinks and troubleshoot any problems that arise... Like Pat says, DICE has already outlined that most of the bugs present in the Beta have already been smoothed out of the final build. This isn't the retail build, this build is primarily about server connections etc. From what I read, this is all about making the servers as capable and smooth as possible so on launch there aren't any problems, which is probably the best news we could hear, since that has always been a shortcoming of an EA online games, especially Battlefield.

If I was at EA and I was bracing for launch, I would want to make sure the servers are as ready as they could possibly be.

Downloaded the beta, played it but not feeling it at all. All the glitches and bugs certainly dont help

You mean.

Yes, I mean.

Super Meat Boy PC sold more in two weeks than Xbox’s total sales

Team Meat never working with xboxlive again

Cthulhu Saves The World PC sales smash Xbox Live

Watch Jonathan Blow, Chris Hecker, Markus Persson opinion

Braid creators opinion again

apart from all the freaking amazing indie xboxlive Arcade games that come out every year? Hmmmm, maybe they didn't make it to PC...

Generally speaking, indie games are flourishing far more on the pc than they are on Microsofts Xboxlive.
Again, this can be attributed to what Is was saying before, Valve support indie developers better because they themselfs were one composed of many indie and mod developers and it seems, would genuinely like to see them succeed. As well as this, youtube users. Many of these games have 0 marketing with a small budget. yet the users creating the videos (specifically yogcast/TotalBiscut) rack up somewere between a quarter of a million and upwards of a million views. This is probably more hits than what major websites get on there videos. The major websites for the most part are glorified advertisements for the biggest games publishers have thrown money at. Like Microsoft (who they work with to promote these games) they have very little vested interest in promiting indie games. It's becoming very much like Hollywood summer movies, It seems to me you clearly just made a blank knee jerk "i don't like what you are saying" responce without putting any thought into it most likely purely on the basis of it being pc centric, that's basically digital racism, i'm very dissapointed in you.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a terrible idea. Mainly because it makes the whole concept of a beta completely redundant. This isn't a bloody demo and I'm sick of everyone acting like it is. It's SUPPOSED to be buggy, the more things wrong with the beta means the less things that will be wrong with the final product. This is for DICE to iron out all the kinks and troubleshoot any problems that arise... Like Pat says, DICE has already outlined that most of the bugs present in the Beta have already been smoothed out of the final build. This isn't the retail build, this build is primarily about server connections etc. From what I read, this is all about making the servers as capable and smooth as possible so on launch there aren't any problems, which is probably the best news we could hear, since that has always been a shortcoming of an EA online games, especially Battlefield.

If I was at EA and I was bracing for launch, I would want to make sure the servers are as ready as they could possibly be.

OMFG I'm not trying to argue what the point of a beta is. I'm saying in this circumstance it was a bad idea to release a public beta this close to retail release. Especially when it's as bugged as this beta. There's a lot of hype behind this game and many people are torn between the "safer" MW3 or this. A proper demo would've been a MUCH better idea.

OMFG I'm not trying to argue what the point of a beta is. I'm saying in this circumstance it was a bad idea to release a public beta this close to retail release. Especially when it's as bugged as this beta. There's a lot of hype behind this game and many people are torn between the "safer" MW3 or this. A proper demo would've been a MUCH better idea.

I agree. I think this was a bad idea. It was a poor map, with a lot of bugs, that is in NO way indicative of what players will have come Oct 25th. Iv only played the Beta a few times and can't get in to it. I was a HUGE BF:BFC 2 fan, i recognize this series is better than that other one but i still didn't care for this beta. I didn't like the map and i didn't like the fact it was standard rush instead of Hardcore Rush. Now I realize those things will be in the main game, but theres a LOT of people who will jump into the beta and see the poor map and the bugs and immediately think its representative of the final game.

I still say EA shouldn't of released a beta and just made BC2 free for like a week and have people play that. If you dont, or didn't like BC2, i highly doubt you'll like BF3.

I know 2 people who were very hyped for the game that have cancelled their preorders after playing the beta (bear in mind that one of them is a complete idiot and the other is of limited intelligence (but otherwise a nice guy)). I played the beta once and wasn't too interested (more focused on Gears 3 at moment). Still maintaining my limited edition preorder though & looking forward to the final game.

and that I would agree with. People are alot more forgiven with this if its released months in advance from release bc presumably the developers will be taking this time to fix it up. People also tend to forget about this stuff if tehy are given months to get over it and expect a much better product further down the line. Betas this close to release should be more indicative of the final product as the stuff you'd expect them to fix should be minor. They definetly should have made this a closed beta bc unfortunately for them people will form their final opinions based on this

I kind of haven't really bothered with it either, maybe played 45 minutes something like that. Casp Border was awsome though, only managed to get about 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"