Mass Effect 3 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ.

I CAN'T ROLL MY EYES HARD ENOUGH AT YOU PEOPLE SOMETIMES. :cmad:

Shepard is your character. Why do want to see someone else's version on the big screen? And wouldn't you like to see an entirely new Mass Effect trilogy with new characters, new locations, and stories written specifically for a film? Rather than some rehashed bastardized version of what we've already got? Mass Effect, as a whole, has potential to be something special, and basing a movie around Shepard would be a gross misstep with the property.

Thank you. This is exactly right. This came up in the movie boards a few times, and I was surprised that some people just want to see some adaptation of the ME as they are. We already have those stories and having the same thing on the big screen would just be a gimped version of that story. Really, I think a companion piece film would be the way to go myself. Or just not do it.

This bears emphasis. I could understand the desire if the ME story was being hampered by technology but its not, what we've got has the depth of TV series with the production values of a blockbuster film. No movie will be able to replicate the 70-80 hour experience that we've gone through thus far - why try?

Why not craft an all new story for ME that uses the strengths of the universe and adapts that for film rather than try and do yet another video game flick that will inevitably lose something special in the translation (like EVERY VG movie thus far).

Christ.

Shepard is your character. Why do want to see someone else's version on the big screen? And wouldn't you like to see an entirely new Mass Effect trilogy with new characters, new locations, and stories written specifically for a film? Rather than some rehashed bastardized version of what we've already got?

F**k no.

I want to see Matthew Fox play Commander Jack Sheppard.

?

Why not craft an all new story for ME that uses the strengths of the universe and adapts that for film rather than try and do yet another video game flick that will inevitably lose something special in the translation (like EVERY VG movie thus far).

That's going to happen regardless.

You people? What do you mean, You people?

5241015.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things. :[

IMO, a ME movie without Shepard seems....pointless. But at the same time...I can't see how it could be done, since like others have said, WE are Shepard, it's not like Master Chief where we just control the movements of a character. With Shepard we control his/her actions, choices, love life, morality, the list goes on. They would have to make an all new character, one for the movie.

There are more people to consider here than just the ones who've played the games. This film will be aimed at general movie audiences rather than Bioware fans or even gamers as a whole.

I run default Shep too and the idea of Matt Fox playing him definitely appeals. And although I understand the pov of those who don't want a straight-up adaptation I'd also advise those people to brace themselves because there already exists an awesome story that can be adapted for film and put on the big screen for an audience that is largely unfamiliar with it, and for millions of people movie Shep will be their Shepard.

I understand the pov of those who don't want a straight-up adaptation I'd also advise those people to brace themselves because there already exists an awesome story that can be adapted for film and put on the big screen for an audience that is largely unfamiliar with it.

You see, that's the problem. Name one video game adaptation that doesn't completely ****ing suck. You can't. You could name a couple that suck less, but you can't name any that are good. And a direct adaptation of the Mass Effect would be no different. But! Mass Effect has such a rich, interesting, and expansive universe that you could tell any number of great stories that would be written from the ground up for film. The general audience wouldn't know the difference, and it would be great for fans because the movie wouldn't **** all over the game's story, characters, or their ideas about what Shepard should be like. It seems like a win-win situation all around to me.

You see, that's the problem. Name one video game adaptation that doesn't completely ****ing suck. You can't. You could name a couple that suck less, but you can't name any that are good. And a direct adaptation of the Mass Effect would be no different. But! Mass Effect has such a rich, interesting, and expansive universe that you could tell any number of great stories that would be written from the ground up for film. The general audience wouldn't know the difference, and it would be great for fans because the movie wouldn't **** all over the game's story, characters, or their ideas about what Shepard should be like. It seems like a win-win situation all around to me.

But Matthew Fox as Commander Jack Sheppard doesn't fit in to that scenario, so we just need to go ahead and toss that little idea into the dumpster.

Okay, fair enough, but I really would like to know why you'd want to see that. Not to put you on the spot or pick on you or anything like, but I just don't see the appeal to it. The whole point of the game is that you create your own character, take them in their personal direction, make them react a way you want to how things happens, basically make up their characterizations. Doing a film with that would lose all of that. I just, I don't know, I cannot grasp the appeal of that idea.

Because the movie would not take away the experience of the game, and the game would not cheapen the movie. I like Shepard as a character, no matter how he/she is played.

Christ.

Shepard is your character. Why do want to see someone else's version on the big screen? And wouldn't you like to see an entirely new Mass Effect trilogy with new characters, new locations, and stories written specifically for a film? Rather than some rehashed bastardized version of what we've already got? Mass Effect, as a whole, has potential to be something special, and basing a movie around Shepard would be a gross misstep with the property.

That's for the owners of the property to decide. If the game's creator is helping to write the script, then I am very interested in seeing what he comes up with.

You see, that's the problem. Name one video game adaptation that doesn't completely ****ing suck. You can't. You could name a couple that suck less, but you can't name any that are good. And a direct adaptation of the Mass Effect would be no different.

You can probably kiss a ton of ME1 away, because they'll have a full enough movie trying to stuff the basic events of that game without trying to develop 8-10 characters at the same time.

Not to mention things like the loyalty missions goodbye as well because there's no way a film could include them and not feel insanely disjointed. I would even wager you could say goodbye to a good chunk of the cast while a number of the others get relegated to the background.

So what are we left with? A skeleton, a generic sci fi adventure? What makes ME special is that it can take time to stop and develop its universe. A movie doesn't have that luxury, especially if its trying to jam the events of Mass Effect into its running time.

But! Mass Effect has such a rich, interesting, and expansive universe that you could tell any number of great stories that would be written from the ground up for film. The general audience wouldn't know the difference, and it would be great for fans because the movie wouldn't **** all over the game's story, characters, or their ideas about what Shepard should be like. It seems like a win-win situation all around to me.

This.

But Matthew Fox as Commander Jack Sheppard doesn't fit in to that scenario, so we just need to go ahead and toss that little idea into the dumpster.

thumbsupjin.gif

Do want, but I'm afraid he'd probably be too old for it. But it would be so good :csad:

I understand why some don't like the idea of a Shepard-based series of movies, but, me personally, I'm very interested in seeing what they come up with. Yeah, the point of the games is to create your own story and your own Shepard, but I still would be interested in seeing what they do with films based on the games. It's kind of like seeing alternate viewpoints and "what could have been" if you made a decision differently. I'm cool with that, as long as the movie's good, and if it's not, then I still have the games. And just thinking of the possibility of these awesome characters coming to life on the big screen with great actors behind them is just too fantastic for me to dismiss before learning more about what they're going to do. And Casey Hudson is involved, so that's at least one good thing. For now, I'll wait and see, and hopefully they can come up with something worthy of the Mass Effect name.

no shep in the movie? seriously? every game cover had shep as a male. not to be sexist...but jesus ****ing christ. Mass Effect....without the default shepard???? yea cool. given the epic status...lets make Aragorn a queen. Good god.

If you honestly can't accept any Shepard that isn't YOURS, I'm afraid you're the one who is close minded. I love my Shepard and the way I've shaped the game, but does that mean I have to think everyone else's version of Shepard is completely invalid? Hell no. I watched my GF play the game at the same time as me, and sure she looked different, acted differently and made some different choices, but there are so many core, constants that every game is the same at heart. You still have the same, great universe, the same rich characters, Sci-fi rules and order and you have one awesome, *****ing protagonist. Whatever Shepard looks like or sounds like, Commander Shepard is still Commander Shepard, through and through, just like Doctor Who is always Doctor Who and James Bond is always James Bond. We could absolutely have a Shepard based movie, and not only because how great a character he is but because his story is the most interesting. The role of Spectres, his dealings with the Council, Humanity's standing with the rest of the universe. It's a great story to tell.

Also, yes, I could see Matthew Fox as Shepard. I don't think he's too old at all, there's nothing that makes Shepard have to be a certain age, but considering he's a Commander with many years military experience, I think a few extra years on the actor would only enhance the characters presence.

Commander Shepard is YOU. You get to pick his/her origin, you get to pick his/her reputation and you can even change his/her appearance. It is awesome that people get to play the game differently but why would I want to see a movie when I can have a richer, more personal experience by playing the game? I'd rather see a movie about Anderson and Saren (check out ME: Revelations if you haven't, awesome book) before I see a version of Shepard making choices I wouldn't have made. A cameo would be wicked but to hell with making him the main character in a linear narrative, that s**t would be blasphemous and go against everything the trilogy has created.

Master Chief said:
Commander Shepard is YOU. You get to pick his/her origin, you get to pick his/her reputation and you can even change his/her appearance. It is awesome that people get to play the game differently but why would I want to see a movie when I can have a richer, more personal experience by playing the game? I'd rather see a movie about Anderson and Saren (check out ME: Revelations if you haven't, awesome book) before I see a version of Shepard making choices I wouldn't have made. A cameo would be wicked but to hell with making him the main character in a linear narrative, that s**t would be blasphemous and go against everything the trilogy has created.

But again, you are looking at this from a really narrow, fan perspective. This movie isn't just for the fans, this movie isn't just a complimentary thing to go along with the games, this is a film, portraying everything the games have covered, in a new medium, accessible to a wider and most likely new audience.

I understand people being attatched to their characters but it's a load of crap that your level of control over the game invalidates all other depictions. I mean, how about all the PS3 users, who came in cold to ME 2. An interactive comic, whilst full of choices, is not a full, immersive game. Or even, all the people across both consoles, who never played the first one, and then the people again who will probably play ME 3 without having played either 1 or 2. It's not like the game just doesn't work.

This is exactly the same as the Uncharted movie, where people complain in relation to the movie... When you're translating a game to a movie, it's when the film makers try to base the film around fan service to the gamers that it all falls apart.

Why would the filmmakers ignore the strongest, and most engaging story that has proven to be successful, simply because it's already existed in a different medium?

Seriously, I don't get how anyone who has any real love for the Mass Effect universe, wouldn't want to see Shepard and Garrus and Wrex all on the big screen...

I think mainly, the issue is whether a movie is even needed since the game is so good, but since they ARE making a movie, why not try to harness what made the games great for the big screen?

Then dont see it. These movies arent made exclusively for videogame fans. Its not a a videogame. Its going to take the universe and lore and make it appeal to a broader audience. If you want the interactive and personal experience then by all means, stick to the games. The movie isnt about that at all and clearly not for you if this aspect of it bothers you

I'd be happy either way, honestly. My hope is that the film is treated with respect because this could be THE franchise everyone goes bonkers for.

I'd like to have Shepard show up, but only as a supporting character. Same with Master Chief in an inevitable Halo film.

Well, Shepard is much more defined character than Master Chief ever was in the games, but he's still an open enough palatte that a filmmaker could mould him into something specific to suit whatever story they have in mind.

Then dont see it. These movies arent made exclusively for videogame fans. Its not a a videogame. Its going to take the universe and lore and make it appeal to a broader audience. If you want the interactive and personal experience then by all means, stick to the games. The movie isnt about that at all and clearly not for you if this aspect of it bothers you

Yeah, movies aren't interactive and personal. That's why I don't want to see a version of Shepard in it, doing stuff in a universe that contradicts what I do in that universe. lmao I can't believe I'm the only person who feels this way (edit: scratch that, Soapy, Tron Bonne and I are bros), maybe I'm just more invested in the experience of Shepard being ME? I can watch other people play no problem, I've even played through multiple times, but when you've got other media creating a canon version of a character each individual is supposed to create then... well, lol I guess you're right, f**k the fans, it's all about reaching a broader audience.

But again, you are looking at this from a really narrow, fan perspective. This movie isn't just for the fans, this movie isn't just a complimentary thing to go along with the games, this is a film, portraying everything the games have covered, in a new medium, accessible to a wider and most likely new audience.

I understand people being attatched to their characters but it's a load of crap that your level of control over the game invalidates all other depictions. I mean, how about all the PS3 users, who came in cold to ME 2. An interactive comic, whilst full of choices, is not a full, immersive game. Or even, all the people across both consoles, who never played the first one, and then the people again who will probably play ME 3 without having played either 1 or 2. It's not like the game just doesn't work.

This is exactly the same as the Uncharted movie, where people complain in relation to the movie... When you're translating a game to a movie, it's when the film makers try to base the film around fan service to the gamers that it all falls apart.

Why would the filmmakers ignore the strongest, and most engaging story that has proven to be successful, simply because it's already existed in a different medium?

Seriously, I don't get how anyone who has any real love for the Mass Effect universe, wouldn't want to see Shepard and Garrus and Wrex all on the big screen...

I think mainly, the issue is whether a movie is even needed since the game is so good, but since they ARE making a movie, why not try to harness what made the games great for the big screen?

The problem with videogame movies, such as Uncharted, is there has to be some level of respect for the characters they're adapting. Respecting source material in the case of ME means not portraying Shepard. I can't think of a single videogame movie that has had respect for its source material, can you? They slap the name on a script that s**ts all over everything the name represents but I digress.

There is SO MUCH more material they can make a movie with instead of diluting a story they've already done; While STILL appealing to the sci-fi crowd they haven't tapped yet. The people who aren't fortunate enough to play through all 3 games are still shaping their own version of Shepard with how they react to situations in ME2 and soon ME3, so I don't know what you were trying to tell me there.

Just so you understand me: Other people playing as Shepard does not make their Shepard invalid compared to mine. The beauty of Mass Effect is our own individual playthroughs are canon. I have faith in Casey though and he doesn't seem like the type who would contradict the franchise he created so I'll quit my b**ching 'til there's more official news, and if it turns out he's penning a Shepard-centric film I'll eat my words and die a little inside.

Last edited:
No, respecting the source material doesn't mean NOT portraying Sheperd, it means doing the character justice and showing him as multifaceted. NOT doing the series justice would be to sub in another Shepard-lite character to play essentially the same role of saviour of the universe. It's a different medium, so you can take as such.

Guess what, I really enjoyed the Marvel comics... and then I really enjoyed the Marvel movies, and they're completely different universes! Imagine that.

Master Cheif said:
well, lol I guess you're right, f**k the fans, it's all about reaching a broader audience.

No, just f**k the annoying, nitpicky ones :awesome:

Okay, I'm going to have to clean this up, because it seems we've become stuck purely on the Shepard aspect. That aspect is a problem, because no matter how much people want to put their fingers in their eyes and go 'lalalala', there is not a canonized main character to this series. Yes, there's that generic looking default character on the cover, but Bioware has always stood by the fact that there isn't really a canon Shepard, even going to the point of putting a female version on ME3's cover, I believe. If you really don't understand how that's a problem in adapting this story, at least to some degree, I really don't know what else to say about it.

But it's not just the lack of a canon protagonist. The ME stories we know were made and written specifically for the video game medium. Sure, there is that cinematic/film-like feel the series has, but the star of the show is the fact that you have choice. You get to shift the story the way you want. And, as Upset said, we have as much back story and dialogue optioning of a full TV season. You try to adapt this same story to a two hour long movie, you lose almost all of that, because there's simply no way to actually do that. Even in a trilogy focused solely on the first game, you probably couldn't quite do it all, and no matter how much they stretch it out the option of choice is lost.

People who say it's not being 'made for fans' really are missing the point. It's not about making it for the fans, it about creatively developing the franchise without senseless and pointless retreading. Because doing what is being suggested is exactly that. You end up with a stripped down, gimped version of story that you've already seen, and can see again multiple times by booting up the ol' 360 to play through again. I just don't understand why you would want that. Just for some fan wankery of seeing an actor you like (Matthew Fox, in this case, I guess) play a certain character? Frankly, I find that a lot more narrow minded and just outright disrespectful to the franchise than what's being suggested as an alternative. The general audience isn't aware of the games to know any better? Well, that's great, because that means we can do whatever we want. We can have a prequel or side story or, hell, even some kind of sequel to the games while still introducing film audiences (and also giving the fimmaker's a bit more freedom, probably), sidestepping the problem of adapting the unadaptable, and also enhance the ME universe all in one go.

Honestly, it's just kind of baffling to me that people just do not see that. I'm trying to be respectful to everyone's opinion, but I don't see the appeal at all to just making a skeletal, dumbed down version of a story we already have. The only real reason I would see for it is if the story was just so radically different from what we find it nigh unrecognizable to what we have. Which, okay then, I guess there you go. But that just opens up other problems, like if it'll just stray too far from what makes the game worth anything (RE films, for example), and it'd just feel like a missed opportunity to do something special and enriching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"