The Dark Knight Biggest Disappointment - Part 1

I don't know if this is a disappointment or just an irritation; but I didn't buy Harvey Dent's motivations for going crazy. Rachel gets killed, his face is scarred, so he decides to screw sanity? I just couldn't buy it, and I'm sorry I couldn't.

You have to take into account his whole story. He was also going on and on at Gordon about having corrupt cops on his taskforce. In the end, it was those cops who he told Gordon to get rid of, Ramirez and Wertz, who were the ones who stitched Dent up and brought him to the Joker. He felt betrayed by Gordon, and he felt that all the good he tried to do was pointless.

I'm not a fan of the movie, but I thought Dent's arc was done well.

Well its like I have mentioned before, even before he was burned and turned, he was already showing signs of his hidden madness... When he kidnapped Finch and was holding the gun flipping the coin to see if he live or dies (whether he was going to pull the trigger or not) he was already starting to act like 2 Face to me by that point.

I don't know if this is a disappointment or just an irritation; but I didn't buy Harvey Dent's motivations for going crazy. Rachel gets killed, his face is scarred, so he decides to screw sanity? I just couldn't buy it, and I'm sorry I couldn't.

Yeah they kill your future wife and leave you deformed. That's like an average weekend, I cannot think how that could possibly disturb somebody.

And I just didn't buy Batman's motivations.

He gets scared by bats, his parents get murdered and he becomes a vigilante? Totally unbelievable...hated it.

I don't like how a few things were completely disregarded and ignored:

- Bruce's parents. Not even a mention. Not even a picture.

- Bats. Like, actual bats used for tactical purposes. Or just a bat.

- No regard for Ra's Al Ghul or the League of Shadows. I know they're not crucial or necessary to the plot... but not even a mention of how Bruce saved the Narrows by defeating Ra's... Just to re-cap?

I realize that TDKR will probably be the return of ALL these things - Bruce's parents, bats, and LOS and Ra's... which is why it makes their absence in TDK so awkward.

The things we saw in 2005 will be seen again in 2012. That's a 7 year gap of seeing NOTHING regarding Bruce's parents or bats. :dry:

Still... I love TDK. I'm just nitpicking.

Yeah they kill your future wife and leave you deformed. That's like an average weekend, I cannot think how that could possibly disturb somebody.

I did not say it wasn't a horrible thing that happened to him!:doh: I said that I his insanity did not seem believable for me. The relationship between him and Rachel was too forced and I hardly found it believable that Bruce was so torn up about it, let alone Harvey going psycho. If the events had happened to Gordon's family, I might have been able to swallow it; but killing Rachel being one of the catalysts for him to go crazy just did not sit well with me. I am not hating on the movie or the writers and clearly for the majority it was fine, but for me I just felt it was just a little too convenient of a light switch, they kill my girlfriend so I guess I'll decide to go crazy with a little help from her killer.

I think one my biggest problems is that there is zero mention of what happened to Ra's. There is no conflict in Batman. I mean, he let the guy die, (whilst making a snide wise crack) this doesn't effect Batman? It doesn't call into question the validity of his "one rule"?

The only problem I have is some of the characters have shiny skin in some scenes.

I think one my biggest problems is that there is zero mention of what happened to Ra's. There is no conflict in Batman. I mean, he let the guy die, (whilst making a snide wise crack) this doesn't effect Batman? It doesn't call into question the validity of his "one rule"?

I agree, but this is a problem of BB.

And TDK, because it pretends it doesn't happen. And it could have made for a compelling conflict for Bruce.

If Bruce thought it was the wrong thing to do then he wouldn't have done it. He obviously felt he wasn't breaking his one rule. He didn't kill Ra's, he just didn't save him. His philosophy is he won't become an executioner. Ra's smashed the brakes on the train and created his own death trap.

Bruce should feel more guilt about blowing up the ninja lair than leaving Ra's on the train.

If Bruce thought it was the wrong thing to do then he wouldn't have done it. He obviously felt he wasn't breaking his one rule. He didn't kill Ra's, he just didn't save him. His philosophy is he won't become an executioner. Ra's smashed the brakes on the train and created his own death trap.

Bruce should feel more guilt about blowing up the ninja lair than leaving Ra's on the train.

I think Bruce's philosophy is a little more than 'no kill people.' Batman is more than avoid killing someone.

Looking back, I think the use of regular mobsters like Gambol and the Cechen were a disappointment. Black Mask could've been the mob's banker, and the normies could've been replaced by lower tier freaks from the rogues gallery like Killer Croc and Scarecrow.

Since the trilogy looks to be one that
encompasses the entirety of Batman's career, the presence of the freak mob elements in part two would've made it feel more like it was mid way into his career

Still its a good superhero movie. :yay:

@Rocketman: I think that at the beginning of TDK, Bruce felt as if his crusade against Gotham's corrupt elements was nearing its end. He and Gordon had the mob in a corner and there was only one weirdo in makeup to take care of. The things snowballed and bringing down Joker while establishing himself a way out via Dent took over Bruce's life. He had no time then for his parents, the bats etc.

You know, I was wondering and I'm sorry if this was discussed to death but I always wondered why Gambol was so enraged when Joker appeared. Then I wondered if the bank that Joker robbed in the prologue belonged to Gambol. Maybe this is why he wanted to rip his head off? Again sorry if this was a duh observation lol

I loved the Chechen and Falcone. I'm gna miss those guys.

You know, I was wondering and I'm sorry if this was discussed to death but I always wondered why Gambol was so enraged when Joker appeared. Then I wondered if the bank that Joker robbed in the prologue belonged to Gambol. Maybe this is why he wanted to rip his head off? Again sorry if this was a duh observation lol

I loved the Chechen and Falcone. I'm gna miss those guys.

Well, The Joker robbed the mobsters bank, which means he stole a portion of Gambol's $68 million. Add to the fact that Lau had to seize the rest of their funds, and transport it to a secret location without their consent, while The Joker is offering to get it back for half of their net worth....yeah, financially, I think he's having a bad day.

Tell me about it. But I still think the bank Joker robs in the prologue belonged specifically to Gambol. He was the most enraged out of all the mob bosses. Like he really took it personal, everyone else was like meh just a few Million, no biggie.

Maybe his bank account was already light and with Joker pinching it he barely was left with any money to buy anything for his grandmother. :funny:

For me, I guess it's obvious, is the lack of Harley Quinn aiding the Joker for even a moment.

Also, Joker's laughs, or lack-thereof.

For me, I guess it's obvious, is the lack of Harley Quinn aiding the Joker for even a moment.

Harley had no place at all in this movie. This was Joker's debut. He did not need a crazy sidekick who was infatuated with him in tow.

Thirded, Joker's a big enough character who could stand on his own. Plus here he was only starting out, Harley would come in much later in his career when Joker has a prescence in Gotham.

Thirded, Joker's a big enough character who could stand on his own. Plus here he was only starting out, Harley would come in much later in his career when Joker has a prescence in Gotham.

Yeah, it wasn't needed at all.

I think it would be interesting if the next Joker on film (an already established version who has a long history with Batman) has Harley, though.

Not so much a disapointment but I hated that some of the characters used the same dialogue like playing your cards pretty close to your chest or something. I just find it a little bit unbelievable when the characters hadn't even said it to each other.

My biggest disappointment was that Joker never kidnapped Prince and forced him to perform songs during his big performances...Jack did it, so why not Heath? I bought that flaming soundtrack for nothing :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"