Captain America

Perhaps they should film two movies back to back ala Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and At Worlds' End. That way we wouldn't have to wait forever for a sequel. They really should film that WWII origin film and have Cap's thawing out scene act as a cliffhanger or something.

^Would rock, but it’ll never happen. Marvel’s pulling a big enough gambit as it is right now.

WWII for movie 1, and modern day for movie 2.

Captain America
kurt-angle.x300.jpg

It's true, it's damn true.

angles bit was portraying an american olympic hero in the wwe thats why i said ouch at him playing cap

If they made a solo direct to DVD animated Captain America feature (like the Invincible Iron Man DVD) would you buy/watch it?

Definately. Cap is one of Marvel's most interesting characters. I wouldn't even hesitate to buy an animated feature about him.

I've always pictured the gritty Alistair MacLean-WWII action movie for Cap. But they could absolutely do the Christopher Nolan-esque jumbled flashback-riddled modern day narrative if they could pull it off.

If they made a solo direct to DVD animated Captain America feature (like the Invincible Iron Man DVD) would you buy/watch it?

I'd totally go for that.

now you're talking MY language:ninja:

I think its a bad idea to make one movie set in WW2 and then have the sequel set in modern time. It makes sense and sounds like a good idea to us because we are fans and already know the story. But to your average movie goer its going to seem weird. Imagine after seeing Saving Private Ryan the sequel had Tom Hank's character in the future? It would seem too weird right?

I think it should go like so:
1. Show his origin.
2. Show him on a few missions and have him interact with characters(but not too much screen time).
3. Do a Ultimate Avengers type sequence.
4. Have him get defrosted.

After that the rest of his WW2 experiences can be shown in flashback when its needed. The main appeal of Captain America is the "Man out of time" aspect...it will be the selling point for the film and will be the focus of the film.

Forgive me if this was covered before, but should the basis of the the film Cap's characterization be the mainstream Captain America or the alternate universe Ultimtes Captain America?

616 Cap, all the way. I have no desire to see Millar's jerk version of Captain America running around killing indiscriminately, nor do I wish to see Bucky alive and well as an old man. Stick with the version that made Cap a popular character in the first place.

Alrighty then. Should Captain America's love life be an issue in the film or should they actually downplay that?

I have a gut feeling that they will not make a Captain America movie and instead make an Avengers Movie with Captain America, Thor and several others in it. Could center the movie around Captain America like X-Men films were centered around Wolverine. I would also skip Red Skull. I would go with Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil. Zemo is a much easier character to do.

WWII.

A Cap sequel or an Avengers movie can deal with him waking up in the modern world.

I think its a bad idea to make one movie set in WW2 and then have the sequel set in modern time. It makes sense and sounds like a good idea to us because we are fans and already know the story. But to your average movie goer its going to seem weird. Imagine after seeing Saving Private Ryan the sequel had Tom Hank's character in the future? It would seem too weird right?

I think it should go like so:
1. Show his origin.
2. Show him on a few missions and have him interact with characters(but not too much screen time).
3. Do a Ultimate Avengers type sequence.
4. Have him get defrosted.

After that the rest of his WW2 experiences can be shown in flashback when its needed. The main appeal of Captain America is the "Man out of time" aspect...it will be the selling point for the film and will be the focus of the film.

Difference. There is no set up for Hank's character to wake up in modern times. In a Cap WWII movie, I am most definately sure they would set it up. Possibly end with someone saying something like "What is this" and then getting a close up of Cap in his frozen state. Sets up Captain America 2 very nicely.

As I always say, doing it in 2 movies makes the man out of time aspect only better. You establish Cap and the Red Skull as men of the 40's better by doing a movie about that, and a sequel dedicated to showing how both men view the new world and their on going struggle is only enhanced when you get more time to cover it.

It would depend on how the do it I guess...but it would still seem weird like I said imagine a sequel to Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks gets unfrozen. It would seem weird, a gimmick, and ruin the first movie.

I guess it would also depend on if its going to be more of a "Superhero movie" or a "WW2 movie".

But seriously there is no way that they will make a two back to back films. Marvel will make it all into one film and the selling point of the film will be the Man out of time aspect because if you don't have that idea from the beginning the whole movie will just be an action movie but with a super-hero.

The Man out of Time aspect is central to the character...before that all he basically did was kill nazi's and was a walking advertisement. Everything that happened in WW2 is basically backstory. Hell when Marvel made the Ultimate line they did only a few pages of the WW2 stuff.

I think the y will focus on WW2 for the same amount of time they spent on Bruce before he became Batman.

It would depend on how the do it I guess...but it would still seem weird like I said imagine a sequel to Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks gets unfrozen. It would seem weird, a gimmick, and ruin the first movie.

I guess it would also depend on if its going to be more of a "Superhero movie" or a "WW2 movie".

But seriously there is no way that they will make a two back to back films. Marvel will make it all into one film and the selling point of the film will be the Man out of time aspect because if you don't have that idea from the beginning the whole movie will just be an action movie but with a super-hero.

The Man out of Time aspect is central to the character...before that all he basically did was kill nazi's and was a walking advertisement. Everything that happened in WW2 is basically backstory. Hell when Marvel made the Ultimate line they did only a few pages of the WW2 stuff.

I think the y will focus on WW2 for the same amount of time they spent on Bruce before he became Batman.

Saving Private Ryan and Captain America is a very poor comparison. Sorry man, but it is. SPR is a WWII epic, Cap is a superhero movie with WWII as a setting. Big difference. Not even remotely close.

The man out of time aspect of Cap is the best part of him. However, it is not the only part of him. WWII is a huge part of his history. Making that a brief 40 minutes and the modern day a brief (I'll be generous) 80 minutes is not as effective because that 40 min used to set up a future event, and short changing another important part of the character's history. People seem to think WWII is just a tedious detail in Cap's history, but it is a necessary part of his character and needs to be elaborated on.

You can do a lot with Cap in a WWII movie. The Super Soldier Serum, how the Axis view Cap as just propaganda, how the US soldiers see him in the same light until they go into action with him. There is a whole lot you can do. What they did in the Ultimates worked in the comic, but for a movie to effectively convey the man out of time aspect, we need to understand him. Doing it Ultimate style doesn't do that.

I doubt we will get two movies for Cap's origin, but he is a character who's origin is best told in two parts. It enhances everything about him. Alsoi, for those who say a Cap 2 is not a definite, so we may only get one. Cap has a lot of general popularity for a comic character not named Spider-Man, Superman, or Batman. He will do well enough to warant a sequel.

I think they should begin the story with people who work for the goverment ( I don´t say shield because Nick Fury will has his own movie) founding him then the movie shows a flashback of his origin, what will be reviled later as his dream but they don´t show Red Skull and the fight that will kept for later.
For me honestly a movie in the WW2 era and then a sequel in modern era wouldn´t work because that would confuse some people who doesn´t know caps story.

PS: i think Micheal Bay is the best man to direct this movie

I think we all pretty much want to see the original Captain America and his origin, but considering most of us were introduced to Cap when he was found floating in an ice chunk (by the early Avengers) I think that's how the movie should start. Only not with Avengers/superheroes.
He is found by a Navy carrier and brought aboard where his military I.D. scrambles top brass to the ship, top security. One or more of the brass know who Captain America is/was, as they were teenage soldiers who saw him in action/service. That's when the flashback to his origin begins and the story of his legend gets told. As the story unfolds, you get back and forth cuts from the flashback story to the present showing the ice melting.
Eventually, after the origin (being recounted between the brass, because he is still classified) and a number of kick-butt action war scenes, the story of his disapperance is told, bringing us to the present, by which time a lot of ice has been melted off of him. They are all standing around him remembering what this man meant to them then. One of them says there'll never be another one like him. That's when his eyes open and they all stop dead in their tracks, staring at him. "Call the President!"

Something like that.

I think they should begin the story with people who work for the goverment ( I don´t say shield because Nick Fury will has his own movie) founding him then the movie shows a flashback of his origin, what will be reviled later as his dream but they don´t show Red Skull and the fight that will kept for later.
For me honestly a movie in the WW2 era and then a sequel in modern era wouldn´t work because that would confuse some people who doesn´t know caps story.

PS: i think Micheal Bay is the best man to direct this movie

MICHAEL BAY!!! YUCK! HE IS ONE OF THE WORST DIRECTOR'S OUT THERE! ALL VISUALS NO SUBSTANCE (WHY TRANSFORMERS WILL SUCK)!!!!!!

I can't vomit enough over his mention. Didn't we see enough of his WWII take in the horrendous Pearl Harbor?

Please be joking. That is a horrible suggestion.

Michael Bay, EWWWW!

Also, how is a WWII Cap movie then a modern day one confusing? We seem to think people watching movies are stupid, but they are not. You tell the story, they will get it. Why do we constantly say we have to settle for less because we think people are stupid? It is a wrong attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"