The Mandalorian Chapter 17 Spoiler Discussion

Ahh yes, the lengths a single parent will go to for child care.

Fun being back, if it is just kind of a set up episode for this seasons various quests.

On the plus side, their creature make up is getting much better. The pirates looked great. Sort of balanced by them not exactly doing a great job with the Mando armor. Seriously, just a coating or a wash to make them look slightly better.

Gizmo, the terror of Anzellians was great. I was half expecting Gizmo to take the statue down for his nanny.

So so glad this show is finally back. My favorite of all the shows. Cannot wait for the rest of this season.

Loved the opening ceremony/creature battle. Loved the Purrgils! Everything Grogu and Mando of course. The castle on Kalevala.

Also the Anzellan Crew and that whole scene. They gave me Annelids vibes from MIB :funny:

upload_2023-3-1_17-31-22.gif

It's kind of a small thing, but I really do love how they handle the visceral, creature battles in this show. Granted, the giant crocodile/salamander wasn't as awesome looking as the Krayt Dragon from the Season 2 premiere, but I really do love the sense of size and scale while it was fighting those Mandos.

It honestly made me feel like I was a kid again watching Kaiju movies like Godzilla or Gamera and I wish we got creature action that looked this good, especially from a CGI standpoint in the Monsterverse stuff.

After this I definitely think Rick Famuyiwa would be an awesome choice for a Kong/Godzilla movie and I couldn't be happier about him directing even more episodes for this season.

So so glad this show is finally back. My favorite of all the shows. Cannot wait for the rest of this season.

Loved the opening ceremony/creature battle. Loved the Purrgils! Everything Grogu and Mando of course. The castle on Kalevala.

Also the Anzellan Crew and that whole scene. They gave me Annelids vibes from MIB :funny:

View attachment 62722
Favourite Star Wars show you mean or favourite beyond that?

That castle was seriously cool, yeah!

Haha, they do give off that vibe. :D

It's kind of a small thing, but I really do love how they handle the visceral, creature battles in this show. Granted, the giant crocodile/salamander wasn't as awesome looking as the Krayt Dragon from the Season 2 premiere, but I really do love the sense of size and scale while it was fighting those Mandos.

It honestly made me feel like I was a kid again watching Kaiju movies like Godzilla or Gamera and I wish we got creature action that looked this good, especially from a CGI standpoint in the Monsterverse stuff.

After this I definitely think Rick Famuyiwa would be an awesome choice for a Kong/Godzilla movie and I couldn't be happier about him directing even more episodes for this season.
I’ve always loved this stuff since my fantasy book bestiaries as a kid and Harryhausen films. Sometimes the inclusion of things like this can dumb down a film or show but it worked fine here for me, aided by the fact that the beast CGI was good. A lot of great visuals in this episode - a Mandalorian ceremony being crashed by something like that and then all fighting till the title character arrives to deal the killing blow is like a dream I must have had as a young geek. :D

Not sure why Mando needs the IG-11 yet, but he could've just taken the memory core and put it in any other body. I mean he is a robot.
The Terminator shout-out gives me hope for a Grogu-scale Ripley mech suit.

Special shoutout to the kid Mando helmets being hideous. They look the most fake helmets have ever looked on this show and that visor shape is not doing it. At least they grow out of them. :o
It literally reminded me of this so much that I think they used it as a template for the design.

normal_hasbro-boba-fett-electronic-helmet-boxed-2010-1589396484.jpg

This was a bit too info dumpy for my taste but it's an okay start.

Also that fight scene at the end felt like something out of the original Star Trek show.

Man, they really pulled a “I have to go now. My planet needs me.” with Cara Dune. :funny:

giphy.gif

Really enjoyable premiere, but the writing and dialogue at times really felt like it was written by an AI generator inputted with a “The Mandalorian” script writing formula to get certain reactions from viewers.

I thought the same thing, it's like they're smelling themselves.

The initiate looks like young Boba Fett. I wonder if most of the Children of the Watch are from Jango's clone line, and their personalized helmets give them a sense of individuality that their faces don't. Shades of "The Dorian Secret", episode 2x13 of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

The initiate looks like young Boba Fett. I wonder if most of the Children of the Watch are from Jango's clone line, and their personalized helmets give them a sense of individuality that their faces don't. Shades of "The Dorian Secret", episode 2x13 of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Given Bo's reaction to Boba, unlikely.

He's credited as Ragnar and was played by Jonathan Kimmel (Jimmy Kimmel's nephew). I believe he also played the young Tusken in Book of Boba Fett.

That premiere was way too short and abrupt. They should've shown two episodes. Some of these streaming shows have a length/pacing problem. This didn't feel like a full episode.

Also, that visit with The Armorer was kind of redundant. We already knew about the living waters of whatever from Book of Boba Fett. Just kind of rehashing beats that we already know and were already established. Putting all that material in Book of Boba Fett was a mistake. It should've been saved for Season 3, and it came at the cost of undermining Boba Fett's story.

Man, they really pulled a “I have to go now. My planet needs me.” with Cara Dune. :funny:

Really enjoyable premiere, but the writing and dialogue at times really felt like it was written by an AI generator inputted with a “The Mandalorian” script writing formula to get certain reactions from viewers.

Cinematography is a big step up from the first two seasons. ”The Volume” is still a little bit noticeable at times, but they utilized it much better here. They are using a lot more wide shots and everything feels a bit more expansive. Wonder if they built a bigger Volume set?. I also kinda get the sense that they might be using more actual sets, too?

Good set up for the rest of the season, though, and I’m looking forward to seeing where everything goes.

This was actually the opposite of Poochie. They wrote Cara Dune out in a much more diplomatic, gracious fashion.

I also thought the intro was a flashback. The old clan grew quite a bit. I wonder if they make their way back to Nevarro. When Mando meets Karga again I thought it was odd he didn't say anything to Grogu. It kind of looked like they just added Grogu afterwards and forgot to shoot anything for it. I am thinking maybe Cobb Vanth takes over as marshal in Navarro.

Cobb Vanth isn't leaving Tatooine. He loves Freetown and the people there. He grew up there. He wants to protect his town. Plus, they have an alliance with the new Daimyo now and they won a gang war. They've got the edge now.

Ahh yes, the lengths a single parent will go to for child care.

Fun being back, if it is just kind of a set up episode for this seasons various quests.

On the plus side, their creature make up is getting much better. The pirates looked great. Sort of balanced by them not exactly doing a great job with the Mando armor. Seriously, just a coating or a wash to make them look slightly better.

Gizmo, the terror of Anzellians was great. I was half expecting Gizmo to take the statue down for his nanny.
Gorian Shard is definitely a breakout character. I do think the helmets looked too clean and shiny, but I guess the intention was to show that they were mostly recent converts.

They literally put out a recap video on the Star Wars YT channel two weeks ago...

You can't expect people to check YouTube so they're up to date with a show. I didn't even know that video existed. Also that's a very underwhelming way to experience the story if you missed Boba Fett.

For my money, there's really no way around that it was a mistake to resolve such a massive plot point in a spinoff show. It completely undercuts the ending of season 2 and honestly feels like a lack of confidence in their characters that they can't survive for five minutes without reminding you the baby puppet is adorable.

I feel like we should've gotten a whole season of Din's "redemption on Mandalore" quest while Grogu was off training with Luke - we could still check in on them periodically (and briefly. The less robo-Luke the better) - then present Grogu with that choice between Din's gift and the lightsaber late in the season...maybe while paralleling Din having to make a similar life-changing choice regarding his creed or his principles, and leading us to an emotional reunion between the two at the end of the season. As long as they kept glimpses of Grogu being adorable with Luke, I don't think they would've lost viewers with that, and I think it would've been far more emotionally satisfying as the reunion would feel earned. But oh well.

For my money, there's really no way around that it was a mistake to resolve such a massive plot point in a spinoff show. It completely undercuts the ending of season 2 and honestly feels like a lack of confidence in their characters that they can't survive for five minutes without reminding you the baby puppet is adorable.

It's still amazing to me that they kneecapped their main show just to serve a spin-off that ended up becoming a meme... because of how they kneecapped their main show in service of it.

<Insert the cartoon of someone jamming a stick into the spokes of their own wheel here>

<Pause for laughter>

I can't believe it's been over 2 years since season 2 ended. So glad to have this show back! My love for Star Wars has dwindled over the years, but this show always brings me back. Good start to the season!

You can't expect people to check YouTube so they're up to date with a show. I didn't even know that video existed. Also that's a very underwhelming way to experience the story if you missed Boba Fett.

Star Wars fans are nerds. Nerds live on Youtube. If you don't watch any videos on the Star Wars YT channel, that's on you.

Star Wars fans are nerds. Nerds live on Youtube. If you don't watch any videos on the Star Wars YT channel, that's on you.
The point isn't Star Wars nerds. They probably watched Boba or are at least aware of it. The point is the general audience, who isn't trawling through youtube for recap videos to explain why they resolved the season ending five minutes later in a spin-off show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"