Chapter 43 - “It's Coming” – Discussion Thread 11/17/08

Yes. My point is how do we know he didn't get the power from Maury years ago?

I understand that we are under the assumption that Arthur completely steal their powers entirely, but maybe he doesn't necessarily have to do that? Maybe he can just mimic them like Peter or completely steal them.

Yes. My point is how do we know he didn't get the power from Maury years ago?

I understand that we are under the assumption that Arthur completely steal their powers entirely, but maybe he doesn't necessarily have to do that? Maybe he can just mimic them like Peter or completely steal them.
Because Arthur takes people's powers...if he took Maury's...then why did Maury still retain his power. If Arthur did take it, how did Maury get it back?

Because Arthur takes people's powers...if he took Maury's...then why did Maury still retain his power. If Arthur did take it, how did Maury get it back?

And why is Hiro still able to freeze time ad teleport?

So, was this episode further confirmation of Angela's ability to influence or control people?
She seemed to force Arthur into releasing her but I couldn't tell if it was just her forcing him with her words rather than a power, but it has been refferenced before, think about when she made Nathan's wife do her bidding. Hmmmmm.
Angela does not have persuasion. The actress has said in interviews that Angela does not have this power. Almost no one listens to Angela, anyway. I think Angela appealed to Arthur's good side in the show. She reminded him that they used to care about each other and that he needed to let her go. I know Arthur seems like a complete hardass, but maybe he still has a slightly soft spot for Angela. It would highlight the "good/bad in everyone" theme they've been overdosing on this season.

Considering Arthur's base power seems to be advanced telepathy, I want to know how he's able to absorb other powers in the first place.
Arthur's base power is power theft, not telepathy. I view Arthur's telepathy in the same way I view Sylar's telekinesis. It's his go-to power for taking care of business.

Who's to say he didn't get it from Maury? Maury was one of the original 12 right?
He didn't get it from Maury. Arthur takes it all. He said it himself on the show. Also, the writers confirmed it here.
Q: So we've established that Arthur can absorb powers by physical contact, which isn't necessarily fatal in and of itself unless you're poor Adam whose body is too damn old. Now, is his power like the graphic novel character Linda Tavara's aura absorption (she did kill everything she absorbed from), or is it something more sophisticated like Power Theft? The other question that goes with this of course is does he have to necessarily take the power and leave the other powerless, or can he just copy it for personal use?

A: Arthur’s power would be best described as power theft. And yes, he takes it and leaves the other person powerless.

Why wouldn't he be able to do all that? Arthur didn't take his power.

Last edited:

I think Arthur was in the process of wiping his mind, thus his powers out, and got distracted by the prediction of an eclipse.

Arthur already had Hiro's powers (via Peter), so there was no need to "drain" anything.

He didn't get it from Maury. Arthur takes it all. He said it himself on the show. Also, the writers confirmed it here.
Q: So we've established that Arthur can absorb powers by physical contact, which isn't necessarily fatal in and of itself unless you're poor Adam whose body is too damn old. Now, is his power like the graphic novel character Linda Tavara's aura absorption (she did kill everything she absorbed from), or is it something more sophisticated like Power Theft? The other question that goes with this of course is does he have to necessarily take the power and leave the other powerless, or can he just copy it for personal use?

A: Arthur’s power would be best described as power theft. And yes, he takes it and leaves the other person powerless.

Then where the hell'd he get it? he was shown using it in the past, so he didn't get it from stealing peters powers... i'm sure it's possible there was another telepathic duder out there who wasn't maury or matt....

Then where the hell'd he get it? he was shown using it in the past, so he didn't get it from stealing peters powers... i'm sure it's possible there was another telepathic duder out there who wasn't maury or matt....
I think we are supposed to just assume he got it from some random telepath at some point in the past. Really, we might be curious, but who he got it from may not be important to the storyline, so we may never know.

You put forth a lot of ASSUMPTIONS, not grounded facts.

Sylar was an angry man in S1. We now know he almost killed himself because he had killed the man and taken his TK. Elle then saved him and he fell for her. It turned out she was lying and using him. Between her and his mother yammering about being special, he snapped and took out that anger by killing and taking powers, etc. And he WAS remorseful in S1. Remember when he killed his mom? When he saw that he would possibly be the cause of the deaths of all the innocents in Isaacs painting?

Next, it never said he killed Claire. We see him behind her using his power to cut her head open then the scene cut. It never says she is dead to my knowledge, just that he took her power when he was posing as Nathan.

As for Empathy combatting the hunger...did the show say that in the last episode? I don't recall him saying that. I recall Arthur saying Sylar could use empathy to access others powers without cutting their heads open. It doesn't say he will no longer hunger.

The show also doesn't say Claude is the one who took down Flint. He said an invisible man. First, there may be more people with invisibility. We have multiple precogs, multiple healers, multiple mimics and multiple speedsters. Why not multiple invisible people? Second, even after leaving the company it is possible Claude could be persuaded to do a freelance job for them. Others have.

Was Sylar also an angry man in S2 when he split Candice head open and killed Aleandro? We know he didnt have the hunger then so why kill those people and attempt to manipulate Maya. Hell you think he would be pleased since he lost the hunger, I mean its like a chance for a fresh start.

I will admit the future Claire scenario was open ended and left to the viewers to decide so we will let that one pass.

In relations to the statement about Empathy and the hunger, I am not excatly sure about Arthurs direct quote but I am certain it leads to the conclusion that Empathy stops hunger (I will have to look it up).

Its fairly obvious who they were eluding to when they stated an invisible man working for the company ( When Claude met Peter he was shocked that someone else had the same ability as him so I am certain invisibility is not a common thing in the company work force. And lol at Claude doing free lance, do you realise he stated he was hidding from them for years. The reason he stays invisible all the time is to hide from them. Of course in a show with such terrible plot twists I wouldnt be surprised if they implemented that plot some where down the line.

Also more contradictions for you, perhaps you can provide more excu..... sorry I mean reasonable reasons as to why they are the way they are. The time line for season1 seems to have been reset this season perhaps yo can clue me in to the intended purpose for that?

Perhaps the easiest (and maybe cheesiest) way to explain these so called "retcons" would be Hiro. His traveling to feudal Japan is in essence a butterfly effect that changed the events of season 1.

But that probably just raises more time travel related questions and inaccuracies.

Also, this whole Claire as the catalyst pretty much brings us back to "save the cheerleader, save the world". Maybe the real way to solve everything is to go back in time :-)whatever:) and let Claire die :cwink:

These guys really can't come up with new ideas can they? Every season it's see a catastrophe in the future and try to save it. And NOW they have to save Claire again.

He didn't take Hiro's power:huh: Arthur got to Africa from Peter's powers which Peter got from Hiro. He was trying to wipe Hiro's mind completely. He did not take Hiro's power.

These guys really can't come up with new ideas can they? Every season it's see a catastrophe in the future and try to save it. And NOW they have to save Claire again.
Yup...the major complaint we almost all have. They saw how Season 2 sucked and so they tried to make Season 3 recapture the greatness of Season 1 by doing almost the exact same thing. Hopefully Fugitives will start us off with a clean slate.

If Sylar remains good then I might stop watching after this season, if he returns to his badassness then I will be willing to forgive. Hopefully he is just playing good in order to perform a little hostile take over of the companies, with him and elle as the new Angella and Arthur making him even more of a threat than he was before season 3.

If Sylar remains good then I might stop watching after this season, if he returns to his badassness then I will be willing to forgive. Hopefully he is just playing good in order to perform a little hostile take over of the companies, with him and elle as the new Angella and Arthur making him even more of a threat than he was before season 3.
Leaked pics from Fugitives confirms his badassedness:up:

yeah's he all swat team like in them. maybe that means he's not a fugitive, but a hunter?

i liked this episode even if I am still not sold on Sylar. I want toe see what HRG does. He has been missing and now that his daughter is what everyone is after, I am sure anyone who tries to touch her is gonna pay.

I also wonder if they will give Cliare the two stains of the virus and after she heals from them, they will us the antibodies.

Arthur said something about sending a boy to do a mans work and it zoomed in on African Precog dude's head....was he just an agent of Arthur's company or what?

i think he was actually referring to Hiro who was supposed to bring in or kill (cant remember) Usutu

Was funny seeing the line up of the heroes and villains at the end. In a full on fight (which line ups always give the impression of), methinks the good guys would get their collective asses handed to them. They have a depowered, a telepath, a flier, a seer, a speedster, and wolverine without the training, claws or killing instinct. The bad guys have teke, fire, ice, strength, electricity, and invulnerability.

Was Sylar also an angry man in S2 when he split Candice head open and killed Aleandro? We know he didnt have the hunger then so why kill those people and attempt to manipulate Maya. Hell you think he would be pleased since he lost the hunger, I mean its like a chance for a fresh start.

I will admit the future Claire scenario was open ended and left to the viewers to decide so we will let that one pass.

In relations to the statement about Empathy and the hunger, I am not excatly sure about Arthurs direct quote but I am certain it leads to the conclusion that Empathy stops hunger (I will have to look it up).

Its fairly obvious who they were eluding to when they stated an invisible man working for the company ( When Claude met Peter he was shocked that someone else had the same ability as him so I am certain invisibility is not a common thing in the company work force. And lol at Claude doing free lance, do you realise he stated he was hidding from them for years. The reason he stays invisible all the time is to hide from them. Of course in a show with such terrible plot twists I wouldnt be surprised if they implemented that plot some where down the line.

Also more contradictions for you, perhaps you can provide more excu..... sorry I mean reasonable reasons as to why they are the way they are. The time line for season1 seems to have been reset this season perhaps yo can clue me in to the intended purpose for that?

Excuses? How about some of us are just able to see way where things do fit together and others, like you I am guessing, just look for reasons to moan and complain.

You're gonna have to be more specific in what you mean by the S1 timeline being reset. I'm not sure what you mean specifically.

As for Sylar offing Candie and Aleandro, at the time he had not yet met his real mother, father, or any of the things from this season that have given him reason to believe he can be reformed and not be the monster he was. You propose he could have underwent some reformation in Mexico after being nearly eviscerated? That he would have just come to the conclusion without the Petrelli's and HRG that he really didn't need to be a monster? I guess that was possible, but I don't think it would have made sense. I think it is more likely he was still angry, still obsessed with being special to show his mother and get back at Elle for manipulating him and making him give in to the hunger.

Until they confirm that Claude was the invisible man who caught Flint it is speculation. If it is true, then perhaps the other poster is right and Hiro's time travel did indeed alter the timeline and some things, like Claude's exit from the company, changed. I'm not keen on that because I really don't like the whole time travel, butterfly effect stuff.

These conversations make me think about how I used to talk about this show a bunch, but now, it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Thinking about it deeply doesn't lead to awesome, solid, inescapable conclusions, but to confusion, arguments and fan-made explanations for writing inconsistency.

In S2, Sylar had no powers, and thus no hunger. If the hunger is what drove him to kill, then removing it would remove his desire to kill. If it was his upbringing that drove him to kill, then fighting the hunger in S3 would be pointless, as that isn't the source. Also, Peter, getting his powers, and the hunger, wouldn't have any desire to kill or be violent whatsoever.

So what is it? Upbringing as shown in S1 and 2, or Hunger, as shown in S3. Maybe you want to have a fan-explanation and say Both. Still doesn't explain Peter's full-on-violence. And if you say Empathy is the cure for Hunger, then Peter should have been completely unaffected... he's the most empathic, in name only, guy around.

The show doesn't stand up to scrutiny anymore. If you have your brain on, the show just doesn't make sense, and even fan-explanations can't make it do so. I typically watch it like I do Power Rangers. It's fun and silly and there's action, but don't think to hard about what's going on, or 'why didn't so-and-so just do X' or 'but I thought this person was...' as those questions only lead you to see the haphazard underbelly of the show.

Was funny seeing the line up of the heroes and villains at the end. In a full on fight (which line ups always give the impression of), methinks the good guys would get their collective asses handed to them. They have a depowered, a telepath, a flier, a seer, a speedster, and wolverine without the training, claws or killing instinct. The bad guys have teke, fire, ice, strength, electricity, and invulnerability.

Good side wins easily. They have the one player that can dominate them all - The Haitian.

The Sylar thing is just bad all around. The only thing that's consistent with season 1 is that he wants to be accepted by a mother figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"