Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Chloe Bennet IS Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still hoping that the Rising Tide is more Wikileaks and less HYDRA. I'd like the conflict between the characters to be a little more morally complicated than having it turn out the Skye was tricked into working for terrorists who she thought were altruistic hacktivists.

It works better if the group is sinister, whether they're a HYDRA offshoot, AIM lackeys or something else. A Wikileaks-lite group doesn't bring much menace and drama to the situation since all they can do is expose things SHIELD is keeping secret. The whole premise of the show is that SHIELD knows it can't keep everything secret, so they're working to protect the public and manage the riskiest people and technologies.

It makes more sense in terms of the world SHIELD operates in for Skye to be the dupe of the sort of people whom the organization is fighting against. A "hackctivist" plot takes very little to resolve. Infiltration by a HYDRA operative would be far more dangerous, especially if she sold out SHIELD's activities in the belief that she was helping the public. Imagine the team taking down an extremely dangerous subject like Molecule Man, only to have Skye give her cronies that person's whereabouts and help "liberate" him. As Coulson pointed out in the pilot, some groups would want to exploit that sort of power. Someone of that potential in HYDRA's hands would be an extreme crisis, one that would force Skye to face reality and might cost the team everything.

Anyways, by virtue of the fact they are hiding her true identity I would think it will be someone from the books, even if its someone obscure.

You know, that was my reasoning for assuming JAR would be someone from the comics (why would they be so tight lipped about who he played if it's someone original?) I really suspect that she is someone original. I believe the writers wanted to stick to non-comic based main characters.

It works better if the group is sinister, whether they're a HYDRA offshoot, AIM lackeys or something else. A Wikileaks-lite group doesn't bring much menace and drama to the situation since all they can do is expose things SHIELD is keeping secret. The whole premise of the show is that SHIELD knows it can't keep everything secret, so they're working to protect the public and manage the riskiest people and technologies.

The whole appeal of them being a wikileaks type of group is that they aren't menacing, though. Rather than be an antagonistic presence, they are group that can introduce moral ambiguity by questioning the actions of SHIELD. They don't necessarily have to be the main threat; AIM or Hydra are even still very much possible as the Big Bad with Rising Tide playing a smaller side role. It could eve do something like:

Imagine the team taking down an extremely dangerous subject like Molecule Man, only to have Skye give her cronies that person's whereabouts and help "liberate" him. As Coulson pointed out in the pilot, some groups would want to exploit that sort of power.

This. This could literally be a plot where Rising Tide, believing it is doing the right thing, helps someone caught/pursued by SHIELD to escape (thanks to helpful tips from their insider) only for them to fall into the hands of or perhaps already working for AIM/Hydra. Maybe they end up turning to a Supervillian because of their time at SHIELD or maybe SHIELD had been trying to capture him knowing that he couldn't control his powers and Skye/Rising Tide helps him to escape only to find that he really couldn't, his power overcomes him or whatever... Come on, that could easily be a comic book plot.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Rising Tide were a front for a more villainous organizing or if it is a anonymous group trying to uncover the truth. Personally I think that if they handled it correctly, the whole idea of Rising Tide being it's own thing with a more ambiguous purpose would make for a more interesting Skye story. Because if she helping Hydra you better hope she is doing so unknowingly. The second she figures this out she pretty much has to drop them to help SHIELD - there is no way she can even go three seconds after learning Riding Tide = Comic Book Nazis that she is sticking around. On the other hand, choosing between a group of anarchist like hackers and a bunch of shadowy government agents presents an actual choice. Maybe SHIELD doesn't always do the right thing? Maybe, despite what Captain and Stark would have you believe, superheroes and related artifacts do need to be restricted. Let Skye wrestle with that one.

The Rising Tide being HYDRA (or at least tied to HYDRA in some way) could also be a connection to TWS. Skye being Jessica Drew would be a cool twist, if they were to go there.

I disagree. Mainly because in what I'm suggesting, "menace" isn't the point. The point is to create a conflict between the characters where there aren't clearly right and wrong sides. I'm not suggesting that the Rising Tide, as a wholly altruistic wikileaks-esque organization, be a major antagonist. I'm suggesting that the story generate character drama from the Rising Tide being all "the people have a right to know" and SHIELD being all "we need to keep some secrets in order to protect people" and both of them having a point and Skye and her conflicting loyalties being caught in the middle. That's the kind of drama that a more ethically grey conflict arising from Skye's divided loyalties would produce.

The "menace" aspect would come the consequences of both sides' actions.

Like, you say here:

It makes more sense in terms of the world SHIELD operates in for Skye to be the dupe of the sort of people whom the organization is fighting against. A "hackctivist" plot takes very little to resolve. Infiltration by a HYDRA operative would be far more dangerous, especially if she sold out SHIELD's activities in the belief that she was helping the public. Imagine the team taking down an extremely dangerous subject like Molecule Man, only to have Skye give her cronies that person's whereabouts and help "liberate" him. As Coulson pointed out in the pilot, some groups would want to exploit that sort of power. Someone of that potential in HYDRA's hands would be an extreme crisis, one that would force Skye to face reality and might cost the team everything.

Skye doesn't need to be working for HYDRA for something like that to happen. The Rising Tide could be genuinely trying to do the right thing, but then their actions have potentially disastrous consequences.

I'd just really rather not have it be a strict matter of "SHIELD is the good guys" with no questions asked. I like the notion of the Rising Tide holding up a mirror to them and saying "maybe you're not the good guys after all," and seeing the consequences of those two viewpoints clashing. The Rising Tide doesn't have to be the big bad, just a monkey wrench in the works.

Personally, I'd rather see SHIELD beset from enemies on all sides, including from within. Just a straight-up SHIELD vs. HYDRA or SHIELD vs. ROLLLLLLL TIDE (sorry, got 'Bama-jacked there) makes for a pretty linear and one-sided story. Yes, I want recurring villains, but I'd rather they represent several different factions.

Personally, I'd rather see SHIELD beset from enemies on all sides, including from within. Just a straight-up SHIELD vs. HYDRA or SHIELD vs. ROLLLLLLL TIDE (sorry, got 'Bama-jacked there) makes for a pretty linear and one-sided story. Yes, I want recurring villains, but I'd rather they represent several different factions.

If the rumors about Cap 2 is true, we might soon get some SHIELD vs SHIELD conflict in the near future, maybe even in AOS.

If the rumors about Cap 2 is true, we might soon get some SHIELD vs SHIELD conflict in the near future, maybe even in AOS.

CA:WTS is in April, so it could be an arc leading to the season finale.

Chloe Bennet is bad as hell. Her in that dress, holy damn.

:hrt:
:heart:

Personally, I'd rather see SHIELD beset from enemies on all sides, including from within... Yes, I want recurring villains, but I'd rather they represent several different factions.

Looks like we got a small taste of that tonight, with Hall essentially defecting, and placing the blame for the Battle of New York squarely on SHIELD's reckless experimentation -- a point which Coulson concedes without hesitation.

The Battle for NY wasn't SHIELD's fault, it was Loki's. Also, the whole "Skye is actually Jessica Drew" theory is looking more and more plausible by the episode, it really does seem to fit.

The Battle for NY wasn't SHIELD's fault, it was Loki's. Also, the whole "Skye is actually Jessica Drew" theory is looking more and more plausible by the episode, it really does seem to fit.

And she did mention Uranium to that old man at the party

JD's father found Uranium in their property

Literally can't stand this character is awful sassy cockiness is annoying as all hell.
She is always talking down to people.
I don't like the already beginnings of a forced tv romance with Ward.

Luh-huv Skye. Chloe got the chance to extend her range in this episode beyond the usual perky 'n' snarky. This was her best episode yet, and it's good to see her start looking at SHIELD in a new light. She's starting to realize they're not the bad guys she's always made them out to be. Also, nice to get a little bit of backstory from her for a change....that's more than we can say about any of the other characters.

Literally can't stand this character is awful sassy cockiness is annoying as all hell.
She is always talking down to people.
I don't like the already beginnings of a forced tv romance with Ward.

This. For me, the show is already difficult to watch and then she makes me want to tap out by her first witty remark

This. For me, the show is already difficult to watch and then she makes me want to tap out by her first witty remark

I don't understand why she has to be so snarky ALL THE TIME.
Is this what Whedon thinks 20's somethings are like?!

Granted she is good looking but I don't see any skill nor talent in anything she does.
Just a nice face and unfunny Stark-snark comments, no real acting involved at all, a robot could pull off her role.

I don't understand why she has to be so snarky ALL THE TIME.
Is this what Whedon thinks 20's somethings are like?!

No, that's what Whedon is like right now in his 40s. Seriously, watch an interview with the guy. He's a sass-master.

I know a couple of people who are in their 20's and are like that, so its not completely inaccurate.

tumblr_mudo8cyWBY1rlb6iho5_400.gif

:whatever:

^ that was funny.

She's literally the same age as me <3

I've seen more than a few people pointing at last night's episode as proof positive (or at least highly suggestive) of Skye's true identity being Jessica Drew. I know this probably sounds silly, but could someone explain to reasoning behind this line of thought? As far as I could tell, this episode proved that:

A. She has a full memory of her past and can recall her childhood, which doesn't remember Jessica's.

B. She is clearly not trained as an assassin in anyway.

There were no real hints that she was slow aging or had a history working with Hydra or anything as far as I noticed. I admit that I haven't given much thought to her being Jessica Drew or, really, any character from the established marvel canon. The writers have given us plenty of reasons why they're using original characters. Plus, Joss really has given the strong impression that he set out to make a show about non-powered individuals dealing with the fallout that comes with inhabiting a superpowered world and while I know he's not always completely forthcoming in interviews he isn't one of those directors that is known for openly lying to his fans. Just for being sneaky. So, yeah, who knows what vats of highly toxic chemicals or burst of strange, space-based radiation might be lurking in season 2 but I've just assumed that seasons 1 would keep the characters power free. Anyway, I haven't been looking for hints of some super secret identity on Skye's part, so I figure any possible hints on the subject went right over my head but I am open minded about it, or at the very least really curious. So what'd I miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"