Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Chloe Bennet IS Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mueoutPFnQ1s5mj1lo3_250.gif

tumblr_mueoutPFnQ1s5mj1lo5_250.gif

tumblr_mueoutPFnQ1s5mj1lo6_250.gif

bwhahahaha

I don't know why some people here dislike Skye so much. Of all the new characters, Skye is probably the character who seems to be cut from the Whedon mold the most. Yes, she is spunky, witty, and street-smart...not unlike other Whedon characters like Faith. And I think Chloe, while not an elite actress, made Skye as good as anyone can make her. I doubt they could've find another actress who can do an even better job, with the materials they've been given her.

I've seen more than a few people pointing at last night's episode as proof positive (or at least highly suggestive) of Skye's true identity being Jessica Drew. I know this probably sounds silly, but could someone explain to reasoning behind this line of thought? As far as I could tell, this episode proved that:

A. She has a full memory of her past and can recall her childhood, which doesn't remember Jessica's.

B. She is clearly not trained as an assassin in anyway.

There were no real hints that she was slow aging or had a history working with Hydra or anything as far as I noticed. I admit that I haven't given much thought to her being Jessica Drew or, really, any character from the established marvel canon. The writers have given us plenty of reasons why they're using original characters. Plus, Joss really has given the strong impression that he set out to make a show about non-powered individuals dealing with the fallout that comes with inhabiting a superpowered world and while I know he's not always completely forthcoming in interviews he isn't one of those directors that is known for openly lying to his fans. Just for being sneaky. So, yeah, who knows what vats of highly toxic chemicals or burst of strange, space-based radiation might be lurking in season 2 but I've just assumed that seasons 1 would keep the characters power free. Anyway, I haven't been looking for hints of some super secret identity on Skye's part, so I figure any possible hints on the subject went right over my head but I am open minded about it, or at the very least really curious. So what'd I miss?

I agree with you. The only similarity between Skye and Jessica Drew is that they're both double agents from an organization that sent her to infiltrate SHIELD, and SHIELD will in turn use her (probably) to double-cross them.

As far as powers, I don't believe she has shown any yet, but is a latent, and I believe Coulson senses that in her. Tuesday night, she *did* give a kind of throwaway hint, though: Ward was lecturing her about how you're not born with skills, but have to train for them, and he asked her where she learned so much about hacking. She said that she didn't train for it, or study it, and that she wasn't really sure, but it somehow always came naturally to her. Maybe she's just a "natural" at hacking, if there are such beasties, but I think it was a subtle hint towards something more.

Going back to Skye as Jessica Drew, I don't think she is her.

I think she's Jessica Jones...

hear me out

the fangirl aspect of super powered people..Jones had a crush on Johnny Storm. We saw how Skye reacted to meeting Michael (I think his name was)

She was in foster care, after her parents were killed, and stared in the series Alias. We know Skye was in multiple foster care, and that Skye is an "alias"

Jones had her Alias Private Investigations thing, Skye, seems to find the backdoors, like Coulson said.

Jessica Jones' powers, aside from strength and durability, is flight. SKYE..flight...SKYE....

oh, one more thing, remember back when Marvel tried to get that show on ABC? A.K.A Jessica Jones? Perhaps they mixed that into Agents of Shield.

Welp, there it is.

As far as powers, I don't believe she has shown any yet, but is a latent, and I believe Coulson senses that in her. Tuesday night, she *did* give a kind of throwaway hint, though: Ward was lecturing her about how you're not born with skills, but have to train for them, and he asked her where she learned so much about hacking. She said that she didn't train for it, or study it, and that she wasn't really sure, but it somehow always came naturally to her. Maybe she's just a "natural" at hacking, if there are such beasties, but I think it was a subtle hint towards something more.

Right. I forgot about that line, but I noted it during the episode. Mostly thanks to someone here making a compelling argument for Skye being Stark's illegitimate daughter and how of course a secret Stark would be a natural with computers! It all became so clear! :oldrazz:

I saw most of these Drew/Jones predictions pop up before the show even aired based on expectations and comic book conventions. That line stood out as oddly framed and the first textual reference that backed the idea that she might be more than just human. But then I thought, you know, maybe I only noticed because of all the theories I've been reading online. On the one hand, they did give her a "comic book" background: growing up without parents, being naturally inclined towards certain skills, getting involved somehow with a super secret government program. We've seen that before in the background of plenty of superheroes.

Look, if you want your plot analyzing and deconstructing I am your girl. Screw humility, I can find the symbolizing in just about anything (I have a degree in it) and studied literature long enough to be confident in my ability to evaluate characters and writing strength. But for whatever reason I am *so* terrible at playing the prediction game. I understand the rules and how it's played and I have plenty of knowledge on the various tropes that are used to guess these things so you think that it would come naturally. Yet for all the "training" I can be pretty terrible at smelling out twists. I tend to bow out to others on the subject, and if a healthy percentage of the community peg Skye for having powers (Jessica or no) then I want to understand where they are coming from. Damnit, I want in on this secret!

While i agree skye will be a name from the comics, its not going to be possible to figure out who she is based on comic logic.

I just dont trust them enough to not just slap some " name" of a known marvel female..like say jessica drew.

As for jones..to me it seems her being an ex superpowered hero is so integral to who she is..it would be somewhat awkward for skye to turn out to be her...

Going back to Skye as Jessica Drew, I don't think she is her.

I think she's Jessica Jones...

Jaqua99 - I could go for Jessica Jones, though, if only because it teases the possibility of Luke Cage, and you can't have Cage without Danny Rand. :hrt: I am still mostly on the side of her being completely original, powers or no, but I'd consider it less of a cheat if it ends in me getting Iron Fist. Though, again, if what we know about Skye's history is true (and I do believe it is) then it doesn't seem like a match for Jones.

Honestly, I don't mind certain changes as what works in comics rarely translated directly to film. Characters are so much more than a check list of plot events. Of course the source material needs to be honored, but I'd say the biggest aspect of that is keeping the essence of the character. What you want is someone who can do that while telling a solid story with well written characters who fit in with the tone/canon of the MCU.

At some point, though, doesn't it become a case of "in name only"?

Speculation aside, Skye has yet to display any powers (and the line last night would hint at something like technopathy). History is difficult to compare at the moment. Really, I would say the biggest obstacle is personality.

Post-chemical-coma/pre-baby, Jones is pretty messed up. Less familiar with Drew but isn't she a rather somber figure searching for her identity? Skye may have a tragic past but she lives in a comic book world. Literally everyone ever has a tragic past; it's probably a prerequisite for joining SHIELD. Whatever happened, it doesn't appear to have messed her up.

For a woman hacking covert government operations from her live-in van, Skye seems pretty well-adjusted. She joined the Rising Tide in an honest attempt to fight the industrial complex, choosing to do so not just on any field but on this far out there, larger than life arena where the players wear spangly tights. She is an activist who thinks twitter based uprisings are kick ass indicating optimism to the point of nativity. She acts irrelevant and confident but in more honest moments (like her reaction to the possibility of invisible assailants) what we see is... goofiness. If Skye's character was more like in line with Jessica, I think we'd find that under her cocky outward attitude was someone despondent or broken or confused or guarded or scared, but mostly we just see geekiness. Something happened that was significant enough to delete all records but whatever secrets she has and however her childhood shaped out it was not enough to destroy Skye's upbeat and idealistic nature.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to look like a fool. I feel like there has to be something since the whole internet seems to believe that she isn't just a random girl with super-powers, she isn't even just a girl with powers from the comics, she's a Jessica. I want to know why.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The only similarity between Skye and Jessica Drew is that they're both double agents from an organization that sent her to infiltrate SHIELD, and SHIELD will in turn use her (probably) to double-cross them.

You're making a good case for Skye being some sort of robot, rather than for her having actual super powers.

I don't know why some people here dislike Skye so much. Of all the new characters, Skye is probably the character who seems to be cut from the Whedon mold the most.

Kinda answered your own question right there.

I just don't buy the character for a minute. Something about an untrained hacker who lives in a van, yet looks like a model, who can outwit SHIELD stretches suspension of disbelief for me.

Her somehow (despite having zero training... and people on the show acknowledging that) routinely being assigned to dangerous missions also makes it hard to take the show seriously.

Impossible, actually.

Last edited:
Skye not only has no skills and refuses training, she is also a self-confessed high school dropout. Her unsuitability for SHIELD is being pounded in by the writers at the same time they're steadily pushing her as the lead character on the show. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me. The show is good and I like it, but Skye just sticks out as a misbegotten character being given far too much of the spotlight for no discernible reason.

I just don't buy the character for a minute. Something about an untrained hacker who lives in a van, yet looks like a model, who can outwit SHIELD stretches suspension of disbelief for me.

Her somehow (despite having zero training... and people on the show acknowledging that) routinely being assigned to dangerous missions also makes it hard to take the show seriously.

Impossible, actually.

Skye is not the only one who looks like a model, as Fitz is just as gorgeous and she's a technician. As for your other points, why do you presume that she cannot do those things? We don't even know what is Skye's real name, nor anything about her organization Rising Tide. I don't see any problem accepting the fact that Skye has the skills in the show.

You're making a good case for Skye being some sort of robot, rather than for her having actual super powers.

I know. But since when have robots/cyborgs/androids *not* been considered superpowered, too? :cwink:

Impossible, actually.

Skye not only has no skills and refuses training, she is also a self-confessed high school dropout. Her unsuitability for SHIELD is being pounded in by the writers at the same time they're steadily pushing her as the lead character on the show. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me. The show is good and I like it, but Skye just sticks out as a misbegotten character being given far too much of the spotlight for no discernible reason.

And you guys ascribe this to bad or lazy writing, instead of a long-term plan to deconstruct the character? Examine another possibility: the writers knew full well from the get-go that Skye wouldn't "make sense" as a supermodel teenage "natural" hacktivist who gets pressed into service as a superspy for the elitist of the elite intel agencies. So they planned to slowly reveal her over several episodes of being much, much more than that under the surface: a genuine superheroine. Someone with latent powers; maybe someone who's been Weapon-Xed in some fashion or other; maybe an android or cyborg or replicant in some fashion; who knows. Point being that the mysterious name and shady background and "I dunno, I've just always been a natural at these sort of things" are classic origin stories for superheroes in the comics.

I think that all the things you guys complain about Skye are put there specifically for that purpose, to make people wonder how the hell someone like that would get recruited by SHIELD's top agents. And the reason, in the final analysis, will be the most simple one to explain of all: because she's really a latent superheroine, and Coulson knows it.

I know. But since when have robots/cyborgs/androids *not* been considered superpowered, too? :cwink:

And you guys ascribe this to bad or lazy writing, instead of a long-term plan to deconstruct the character? Examine another possibility: the writers knew full well from the get-go that Skye wouldn't "make sense" as a supermodel teenage "natural" hacktivist who gets pressed into service as a superspy for the elitist of the elite intel agencies. So they planned to slowly reveal her over several episodes of being much, much more than that under the surface: a genuine superheroine. Someone with latent powers; maybe someone who's been Weapon-Xed in some fashion or other; maybe an android or cyborg or replicant in some fashion; who knows. Point being that the mysterious name and shady background and "I dunno, I've just always been a natural at these sort of things" are classic origin stories for superheroes in the comics.

I think that all the things you guys complain about Skye are put there specifically for that purpose, to make people wonder how the hell someone like that would get recruited by SHIELD's top agents. And the reason, in the final analysis, will be the most simple one to explain of all: because she's really a latent superheroine, and Coulson knows it.

If there is a long-term plan with Skye, it's a badly-executed one. Her recruitment doesn't make me wonder why Coulson chose her over the obviously "gifted" man with very real super powers. It makes me wonder why the writers have taken the one character who is established and dumbed him down so much that he couldn't recognize and recruit an actual superhero-in-the-making to his team instead of a high school dropout street urchin with useless "skills" and a bad attitude.

Seriously, if Coulson wanted someone with powers on his team why wouldn't he have chosen Mike Peterson? That's where your "Skye the latent heroine" theory falls on its face.

THANKS Nathan :D
Skye slow mo
8hct.gif

She looked hot in that dress. I didn't notice her jiggling boobs at the time of watching though, so it's good to see it in slow motion to fully appreciate it. They should've named this episode "The Assets". :woot:

Larger gif. I even have a 720p version. I just need someone to tell me where I can upload a 27MB GIF file.

Oktober-31c67b7357.gif

You should make a gif just isolating her boob area.

Well.... it's about time...............:)
Jug-gernaugt:)

Lol. Definitely shows why the episode should've been called "The Assets".

If there is a long-term plan with Skye, it's a badly-executed one. Her recruitment doesn't make me wonder why Coulson chose her over the obviously "gifted" man with very real super powers. It makes me wonder why the writers have taken the one character who is established and dumbed him down so much that he couldn't recognize and recruit an actual superhero-in-the-making to his team instead of a high school dropout street urchin with useless "skills" and a bad attitude.

Seriously, if Coulson wanted someone with powers on his team why wouldn't he have chosen Mike Peterson? That's where your "Skye the latent heroine" theory falls on its face.

That slo-mo gif splattered all over this page is all the answer you need. :o

Skye-fall? :oldrazz:

Here's the thing, we know NOTHING about her, SHIELD know nothing about her. She's told them things about herself, but she could easily be lying, or maybe her memories have been messed with. She has no skills, we don't know that for sure, it could easily be an act. She's shown no powers as of yet, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have them. I'm not saying for sure that she's JD (she may very well not be), but I'm not completely ruling the possibility out. If there's one thing that I've learned about Whedon projects, its never to take anything at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"