Contest Of Marvels II Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Phaedrus45, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Phaedrus45 Registered

Ok, the two posting of rules have been added to the first post of this thread.

As for suggestions from Wiegeabo:

I don't see a big problem with the disputing of debates. With all the matches last season, I think we might have had 10 instances or less where a debate was brought into question...and, I believe Powder makes himself more available than even me or JH. (That dude is always hanging around.) If he has to leave, then let's be said that rulings shall be determined by JH or Phaed, and Powder is to give us warning if he's going to be away for a set amount of time.

Yes, it needs to be noted that a tie will be a re-match the next week (of which I really need to do a better job next season remembering them), and if a tie happens again, it will go to Sparta's thread. If two contestants have fought the previous week to a draw, they will both have a knowledge of the other's tactics and powers, of course...which might just effect the outcome of the rematch. But, that's just the way things work out. With Sparta's thread, each contestant will have an set date to PM Sparta with your debate on why your character should win the match. If you do not get your debate to Sparta in time, the match will still be posted on said date.

I think the dropping out of participants will be handled the same as last year. If someone drops out, their characters will remain unowned until the round ends. At that time, characters will be dispersed. If an odd number of characters remain, those with the least amount of characters will have a shot at an additional character before those with more characters in their roster. (Although, any participant can also waive the right to receive more characters or willingly concede to missing the chance to get an additional character if the odds will leave someone out of dividing characters evenly.)

2. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

HA..:D

Yeah I am on here a lot......:(

Yeah I could do that, I am planning a couple of vacations this summer so I might be away for a little bit here and there....

3. wiegeabo Omniposcient

Cool. I figured you'd plan on being around, so it wouldn't be a big thing. But something always unexpected happens, so it's just better to be prepared for it.

4. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

So is there anything else? can we move to characters? We can always go back if we forgot anything...

5. JewishHobbit Registered

I'm okay with all of this. Feel free to add whatever necessary to the first post of the thread.

6. Phaedrus45 Registered

Ok, I'm trying to figure out possible characters we might want by checking out wikipedia's Marvel character section. I've been doing elimination of names and such. What I'd really like, if people don't mind, is to make sure there is sufficient information on the characters. One problem I had last year was having a character who we might have known by name, but really didn't have information on, like Nathaniel Richards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Comics_characters

It might take a little time, but I will work on it to try and make notations on who we had last year that's on the list. (Maybe mark it, like 1)Abomination*)

Here is an example of what I have after eliminating some names from the first few letters of the alphabet:

A
    1)Abomination
    2)Absorbing Man
    3)Abyss
    4)Adam Warlock
    5)Adam X
    6)Agatha Harkness
    7)Agent X
    8)Agent Zero
    9)Ahab
    10)Air-Walker
    11)Alex Wilder
    12)Amanda Sefton
    13)American Eagle
    14)Anaconda
    15)Anarchist
    16)Ancient One
    17)Andromeda
    18)Angar the Screamer
    19)Annihilus
    20)Anole
    21)Ant-Man
    22)Apocalypse
    23)Arabian Knight
    24)Araña
    25)Arcade
    26)Archangel
    27)Ares
    28)Armadillo
    29)Armageddon
    30)Arnim Zola
    31)Asp
    32)Astra
    33)Atlas
    34)Attuma
    35)Aurora
    36)Avalanche
    B
    37)Balder
    38)Bandit
    39)Banshee
    40)Barbarus
    41)Baron Blood
    42)Baron Mordo
    43)Baron Strucker
    44)Baron Zemo
    45)Basilisk
    46)Bastion
    47)Batroc the Leaper
    48)Beast
    49)Bedlam
    50)Beetle
    51)Belasco
    52)Bella Donna
    53)Ben Reilly
    54)Berzerker
    55)Beta Ray Bill
    56)Big Bertha
    57)Big Wheel
    58)Bishop
    59)Black Bolt
    60)Black Cat
    61)Black Goliath
    62)Blackheart
    63)Black Knight
    64)Black Mamba
    65)Blackout
    66)Black Panther
    67)Black Tarantula
    68)Black Tom Cassidy
    69)Black Widow
    70)Blade
    71)Blastaar
    72)Blaze
    73)Blazing Skull
    74)Blindspot
    75)Blink
    76)Blizzard
    77)Blob
    78)Bloodaxe
    79)Bloodhawk
    80)Bloodscream
    81)Bloodstone
    82)Bloodstorm (Mutant X)
    83)Blur
    84)Boomerang
    85)Box
    86)Brainchild
    87)Brother Grimm
    88)Brother Voodoo
    89)Bucky
    90)Bullseye
    91)Bushmaster
    C
    92)Cable
    93)Caliban
    94)Callisto
    95)Calypso
    96)Cameron Hodge
    97)Cannonball
    98)Captain America
    99)Captain Britain
    100)Captain Germany
    101)Captain Marvel
    102)Captain Universe
    103)Cardiac
    104)Carnage
    105)Carol Danvers
    106)Carrion
    107)Cerebra
    108)Cerise
    109)Chamber
    110)Chameleon
    111)Charcoal
    112)Chase Stein
    113)Chthon
    114)Citizen V
    115)Clea
    116)Cloak
    117)Cobra
    118)Colossus
    119)Comet Man
    120)Conan the Barbarian
    121)Constrictor
    122)Controller
    123)Corsair
    124)Cottonmouth
    125)Count Nefaria
    126)Crimson Dynamo
    127)Crossbones
    128)Crystal
    129)Cyber
    130)Cyclone
    131)Cyclops
    132)Cypher
    D
    133)D'Spayre
    134)Dagger
    135)Daimon Hellstrom
    136)Dakota North
    137)Danielle Moonstar
    138)Daredevil
    139)Dark Beast
    140)Darkdevil
    141)Darkhawk
    142)Darkstar
    143)Dazzler
    144)Dead Girl
    145)Deadpool
    146)Death Adder
    147)Death's Head II (Marvel UK)
    148)Deathbird
    149)Deathlok
    150)Deathurge
    151)Debrii
    152)Delilah
    153)Demogoblin
    154)Demolition Man
    155)Destiny
    156)Destroyer, The
    157)Diablo
    158)Diamondback
    159)Diamond Lil
    160)Doc Samson
    161)Doctor Doom
    162)Doctor Druid
    163)Doctor Octopus
    164)Doctor Strange
    165)Domino
    166)Doppelganger
    167)Doop
    168)Dracula
    169)Dragon Man
    170)Drax the Destroyer
    171)Dum-Dum Dugan
    172)Dusk

Anyway, looking at those first 4 letters, I see some possibly interesting characters. (I did elimate all the Ultraverse, BTW.) What do people think of having older characters that Marvel has dropped licensing for, like Rom and Conan?

7. JewishHobbit Registered

Hmm, unless they were a major player in the main Marvel Universe, I say drop them. Rom's borderline as he did interact, but Conan doesn't really fit.

And do we want to just start over on the list, or just edit last seasons? If we want to edit it then maybe we can post the characters maybe 10 or 20 at a time and decide on what to do with those characters (who stays and who goes) until we get to our final keep list, and then start figuring out new characters to add. In this process we can decide if we want to change the version of the character as we get to him or her (such as changing out Abyss for Abyss (AoA)).

Thoughts?

8. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

How about we go by section since you divided it that way in the first season? I think a majority of the characters worked from last season so why not just start there and than get rid of the ones we don't want. Once we know who to get rid of than we will have a better idea of how many characters we can add.

Alpha Flight

1.Aurora
    2.Flex
    3.Diamond Lil
    4.Guardian
    5.Madison Jeffries
    6.Murmur
    7.Northstar
    8.Puck
    9.Radius
    10.Sasquatch
    11.Shaman
    12.Snowbird
    13.Vindicator
    14.Wildchild

The only one we had a problem with was Guardian and Vindicator, since we couldn't figure out what version they were...

Puck, Sasquatch, Aurora, Shaman, Northstar, Diamond Lil, Maddison Jeffries, and Murmur were all good characters last year....I don't seem to recall the others (Wildchild, Flex, Radius)

9. JewishHobbit Registered

Sounds good POWdER.

Puck, Sasquatch, Shaman, Snowbird, Diamond Lil, and Murmur are good in my opinion.

Northstar we should clarify as "Northstar (X-Men)" as that way he has both teams under his belt, but not the current Hydra/Hand brainwash.

Wildchild was last seen with Weapon X as mute and almost Vampirish. I say we lable him as "Wildchild (X-Factor)" so he has both X-Factor and Alpha Flight under his belt. This would also keep him a hero.

I think we should say it's Vindicator (Heather Hudson) and Guardian (Mac Hudson) and just leave the Android out of it. It seemed like it could be in the too uber range anyhow.

Maddison Jeffries and Aurora were also last seen working with Weapon X. Do we want them still like that or as their Alpha Flight heroic versions? I kinda like Maddison as half nuts, but Aurora I'm not sure.

If I recall, Flex could turn his hands into knives and Radius just had a small forcefield, neither highly trained. I think we can include characters better and more effective than these.

10. Phaedrus45 Registered

Hmmm...I like Powder's method. Let's go with each list from the original posted by Powder each day. Today, we can start small with Alpha Flight, as he's shown. Each day, lets talk about who we want to keep and who we want to eliminate. Then, as we discuss that, I will exclude those names from the big Wikipedia list. After we've gone through all the names of characters we are keeping, I will present a list of characters then left to be possible replacements. Then, we can do a few options:

1) We can eliminate characters from the list;
    2) We can do a vote about which characters we'd like to see (maybe even secret ballot...winning characters get to move on to the next Season.)
    3) We can just discuss it, and have JH make the final decision after hearing from everyone who'd they'd like to see make it through.

EDIT: Also, we can just talk about possible characters to include as we are discussing the lists, too.

11. JewishHobbit Registered

I like the idea, though I think some lists may need to take longer than a day.

12. Phaedrus45 Registered

For Alpha Flight, I would like to see Aurora, Guardian, Northstar, Puck, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Snowbird definitely make it through to Season 2.

Members I side more with joining them are Wildchild (Love this character...And, I still remember the Age of Apocalypse version), Diamond Lil, and Murmur.

Characters that I don't remember being in it last time that are members of Alpha Flight for possible consideration in the future are Talisman and Marina.

An excellent source for Alpha Flight characters can be found here:

http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Category:Alpha_Flight

13. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

That's cool, I can do that.

And yeah that sounds good about voting for our favorites. Maybe everyone gets 10 votes (or more) of who they like to have and the chracters with the highest amount of votes in the end get to be in season 2 (depending on how many spots). I don't think it needs to be secret, but everyone can post all their votes in one post.

14. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

Yeah we'll have to add those 2 to the "possibles" for season 2.

Alpha Flight

**1.Aurora (Weapon X or Alpha Flight?)
    *2.Flex (Drop?)
    3.Diamond Lil
    4.Guardian (Mac Hudson)
    **5.Madison Jeffries (Weapon X or Alpha Fight?)
    6.Murmur
    **7.Northstar(X-Men?)
    8.Puck
    *9.Radius (Drop?)
    10.Sasquatch
    11.Shaman
    12.Snowbird
    13.Vindicator (Heather Hudson)
    **14.Wildchild (X-Factor?)

Ones with (*) are under discussion on whether they are to be taken out and (**) for what version to use. The remaining choices are nearly accepted.

Under Consideration

Marina
    Talisman
    Tundra
    Scramble
    Windshear

15. JewishHobbit Registered

I think Talisman is a great addition, but Marina's powers and story is very confusing. I'm not sure if I can figure her out.

The only other personon that site that I think could be a good addition is Windshear.

16. JewishHobbit Registered

The more I think about it the more I think Wildchild should be his Weapon X version. While I like him better before that, he would be a much more effective character with his dark side exposed. Same with Madison Jeffries I think.

17. Phaedrus45 Registered

Yeah, I'd like to see either the Weapon X version or Age Of Apocalypse version. The AoA version states "Wild Child possessed a low level of intelligence (comparable to that of a dog) and an inability to communicate verbally. As such, he was kept on a chain leash to prevent him from harming any of the X-men." This makes him much more feral and wild...an anything goes type of character that someone could really use, no holds barred.

18. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

Yeah X-men especially....

19. JewishHobbit Registered

Hmm, I do like the AoA version too, though it's wierd to think of him separate from Sabretooth. Hmm, AoA or Weapon X, which do you think would be more effective in the CoM? Weapon X he is also fairly ruthless, though not farel. He'll kill on a whim, and though he's kinda stupid, he can be calculating.

20. Phaedrus45 Registered

Yeah, Windshear looks like a pretty cool character to own. (That's what I loved about last season...learning about a new character and what you can do with him. Just like having Powder's character take 2nd place...who would have figured?) He could easily replace Flex or Radius.

Maybe it would be easier to be replacing characters as we're talking about it. We'll still possibly have slots open for some voting if we need to...but, I don't know how many people will actually be open for voting.

21. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

I think Weapon X sounds better IMO. The intelligence of a dog doesn't really float my boat, even if he is feral. It could be easy to exploit since the match is planned. If it wasn't he would be cool to have but otherwise...meh...

22. Phaedrus45 Registered

Another link from the same website for Alpha Flight:

http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Category:Villains

As stated in the link, these are the Villians that Alpha Flight has fought. Some are in JH's Other Mutant category, but maybe we want to put them in the Alpha Flight section for an easier definition of who they are.

I just looked at Tundra. With the luck of location, he'd be tough.

Oh, I also looked up a previous reference of The Champion. I think he's definitely too powerful for this competition. After all, he destroyed a world once with just his punch.

23. Phaedrus45 Registered

Dang, I was trying to find a character that Powder could relate to.

:p

24. POWdER-man Ancient but wise

:ghost: :doom:

Nah that was Flatman last year...."From the hood and misunderstood...:o"

BTW you're eligible for the 75x75 avatar.

25. JewishHobbit Registered